Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270796 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2590 on: October 16, 2020, 08:22:22 AM »
I did see it. What's the big bad apocalyptic threat as revealed in S3 E1 ?

You lost me. Besides all dilithium exploding and obliterating everything that resembled civilization leaving only a generic post apocalyptic lawless land? Seems apocalyptic enough to me.

According to the story it happened 150 years in the past. It's not a current threat to be stopped by E 13.

Oh yes. I guess I should’ve said post apocalyptic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2591 on: October 16, 2020, 08:22:39 AM »
Do you really want yet another weekly crew on a starship encounters a problem and solve it in 45 minutes show again ?
Yes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: October 16, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »
No you don't because gatekeepers also hate Star trek Continues - which is apparently what you want.

Online Adami

« Reply #2593 on: October 16, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »
What’s Star Trek Continues?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2594 on: October 16, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
Also, I say Star Trek in name only because....much like Picard, if you change a few minor details (even less in this episode) then it doesn't resemble Star Trek at all. It felt like a mix of modern Star Wars and any of the generic sci-fi shows that are showing up on Netflix like Lost in Space. If I want Star Wars or Lost in Space or what not, I'll watch those. I come to see Star Trek to see Star Trek.

If I go to a Chinese place and order Lo Mein and they bring me what is essentially fettucine alfredo, I'm gonna be upset. Not because I don't like fettucine alfredo, but because I can get that at any number of Italian places. I wanted lo mein, which I'm now told doesn't exist because they want the masses wanted fettucine alfredo. You can't lose your identity to gain more fans or else you're not gaining fans, you're just becoming something else that they already liked in the first place.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: October 16, 2020, 08:36:51 AM »
It's a fan show - made as closely to TOS as possible. James Doohan's son plays Scotty. Grant imahara (RIP) plays Sulu.

It was billed as the 4th season of TOS and tries to get the look and feel and writing as close as possible to TOS.

It's what all the "True Star Trek Fans ™ " say they want - i.e. TOS again - but they still hate it anyway.

----  EDIT -----

Also - yeah I wan't blown away with Picard and a lot of it i didn't like - but I don't have to watch it. I couldn't give two shits about a Section 31 show.

Here's a clip of Star trek Continues. https://youtu.be/3G-ziTBAkbQ?t=67

Online Adami

« Reply #2596 on: October 16, 2020, 08:38:28 AM »
It's a fan show - made as closely to TOS as possible. James Doohan's son plays Scotty. Grant imahara (RIP) plays Sulu.

It was billed as the 4th season of TOS and tries to get the look and feel and writing as close as possible to TOS.

It's what all the "True Star Trek Fans ™ " say they want - i.e. TOS again - but they still hate it anyway.

I haven't seen it, but I assume it's for the same reason "true star trek fans" don't love every single episode of any of the shows either. You still need quality. Fan shows of any sort usually miss the quality mark. Just because it IS something, doesn't mean it's a good something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2597 on: October 16, 2020, 08:43:59 AM »

Also - yeah I wan't blown away with Picard and a lot of it i didn't like - but I don't have to watch it. I couldn't give two shits about a Section 31 show.

Here's a clip of Star trek Continues. https://youtu.be/3G-ziTBAkbQ?t=67

Totally. I'm torn on the issue and will also likely not watch the Section 31 show. But I love Patrick Stewart and I know Marc Bernardin is a writer on season 2 and I do like him. So I'll give it a shot mostly out of loyalty.

As far as not having to watch it, I actually had high hopes for season 3. I really disliked season 1 of Disco but mostly liked season 2, so I was hoping they found their footing. But the first episode of season 3 feels like a bad Picard episode. I'll still give them chances though. And this is a discussion bored, so I'll keep discussing it, even if I don't like it. I'm not crapping over something I hate, I'm lamenting the loss of something I love.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2598 on: October 16, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »

I haven't seen it, but I assume it's for the same reason "true star trek fans" don't love every single episode of any of the shows either. You still need quality. Fan shows of any sort usually miss the quality mark. Just because it IS something, doesn't mean it's a good something.
It actually wasn't bad at all. It takes some time to "get used to." It's somewhat cheaply made, and there's a ceaseless amount of fan wank, but they did a pretty nice job under the circumstances. The problem I have with this (and other such fan-fics) is the need to constantly bring back older characters (and they're all admirals now). Just because Grace Lee Whitney's niece wants to be in a Star Trek episode doesn't mean you should write an episode starring Admiral Rand. The first episode of STC is the return of Apollo, who basically does the exact same thing he did in WMfA.  Nevertheless, the original stuff they did was largely enjoyable. It's a shame they could only crank out 1 or 2 a year.

But your point is dead on. The fact that a cheaply made fan-fic wasn't supported isn't proof that nobody wants good, actual Star Trek. It's simply not as profitable as repurposing unused superhero movie plots, slapping blue, gold, and red tunics on everybody, and using some generic ST terminology.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: October 16, 2020, 09:20:07 AM »
Do you really want yet another weekly crew on a starship encounters a problem and solve it in 45 minutes show again ?

It sounds like there will be a show to scratch this itch, the coming Pike show.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2600 on: October 16, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
Also, I say Star Trek in name only because....much like Picard, if you change a few minor details (even less in this episode) then it doesn't resemble Star Trek at all. It felt like a mix of modern Star Wars and any of the generic sci-fi shows that are showing up on Netflix like Lost in Space. If I want Star Wars or Lost in Space or what not, I'll watch those. I come to see Star Trek to see Star Trek.

If I go to a Chinese place and order Lo Mein and they bring me what is essentially fettucine alfredo, I'm gonna be upset. Not because I don't like fettucine alfredo, but because I can get that at any number of Italian places. I wanted lo mein, which I'm now told doesn't exist because they want the masses wanted fettucine alfredo. You can't lose your identity to gain more fans or else you're not gaining fans, you're just becoming something else that they already liked in the first place.

Yeah but when the chef (let's call him Bick Rerman) who makes the Lo Mein at your favorate Chinese restaurant loses his passion and starts serving tasteless Lo Mein sloppily thrown on your plate - it's probably time to try something else.

Haven't seen the episode yet.

Online Adami

« Reply #2601 on: October 16, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »
Then find someone else who makes Lo Mein.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2602 on: October 16, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »
Then find someone else who makes Lo Mein.

Can't be assed to keep this analogy going 😃

For what it's worth I read a few critic reviews who were given the first four episodes and they all say that episodes 3 & 4 are the better ones with a more  old school Trek vibe - be warned though episode 2 seemed to get some flak, one reviewed compared it to Stardust City Rag.

Online Adami

« Reply #2603 on: October 16, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
I don’t think I liked the first episode or two of season 2. So I’ll be open minded.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2604 on: October 16, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
Mei Fun is better than Lo Mein  :hat

I watched the first episode of season 3 last night and was rolling my eyes so hard they went 360° This show seems to have jumped the shark quite early on and offers very little other than a lot CGI and fast talking nonsense. I'll take the 45 minute TV show series model over this shit bomb any day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: October 16, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »

It sounds like there will be a show to scratch this itch, the coming Pike show.

I really want this to basically be TOS but if it was made in 2020. It needs to have that same tone. Like all the best Pike moments from DSC S2 but on Enterprise.

I think they said it's episodic too. It needs to end every episode on the bridge with Pike quipping at Spock who retorts -and everyone laughs as the camera pulls back over the end credits and music.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: October 16, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »

For what it's worth I read a few critic reviews who were given the first four episodes and they all say that episodes 3 & 4 are the better ones with a more  old school Trek vibe - be warned though episode 2 seemed to get some flak, one reviewed compared it to Stardust City Rag.

One of the worst episodes of trek ever made. It can't be that bad :P

* ALSO * - it was confirmed today that DSC has been renewed for Season 4 and they begin production on November 2nd.

I'd like it to run longer than Enterprise did at least. 7 seasons and done.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2607 on: October 16, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
Just watched the episode.   Felt like a mash up of The Mandolorian, Firefly and Trek......it was ok I guess, they keep trying to develop Burnham into a more likeable lead and she's definitely better than the season one version...but I'm still not a huge fan.  Hopefully they will get the crew back together on the ship soon.

5 Gold Pressed Latinums outta 10. 

One of the worst episodes of trek ever made. It can't be that bad :P

I no that episode gets a lot of bad press but I genuinely enjoyed it.  There was a lot of.campy old Trek in the dressing up for the heist.  I know some people didn't like the tone and the violence but I just saw that as a look at the universe without the prism of the federation. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:15:35 PM by soupytwist »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2608 on: October 17, 2020, 01:15:44 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed season 3 ep 1 of Discovery last night. Loads of fun and looked terrific. Can't wait to what happens next.  :)

Put me down as a happy customer, enjoying a freshly cooked plate of trek cuisine with no need for the dishes to be the same as I ate decades ago. The restaurant defines what trek cuisine is, not the other way around.

"Change is the essential process of all existence." Spock
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 02:43:50 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: October 17, 2020, 03:51:49 AM »
Since Star trek 6 - we've always seen the new Star trek film in the cinema.

I was telling dad about how Into Darkness wasnt very popular amongst trek fans

and he was basically like " thats fine they can just watch the ones they like.."

And thats basically it. I'm not a huge fan of Insurrection - but I don't go on and on and on and on about it every chance I get.

I just don't watch it.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2610 on: October 17, 2020, 04:16:42 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed season 3 ep 1 of Discovery last night. Loads of fun and looked terrific. Can't wait to what happens next.  :)

Put me down as a happy customer, enjoying a freshly cooked plate of trek cuisine with no need for the dishes to be the same as I ate decades ago. The restaurant defines what trek cuisine is, not the other way around.

Well said, and I wish I coiuld agree. I watched it a second time last night after knocking it. I still don't know what the hell happened  ???

Online Adami

« Reply #2611 on: October 17, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »

Well no. I can't order a steak at a restaurant and get served a PB and J sandwich and be told "this is now a steak."

If you want to redesign Trek...cool. They've done it plenty of times. But when you remove almost anything that defined it as Trek and instead replace it with a bunch of things that are already widely available in a multitude of other shows, then it's Trek in name only in my own personal opinion.

If you like it, awesome. But I'll keep calling out what I don't like and what I do like. As I assume others will as well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2612 on: October 17, 2020, 04:42:02 PM »
But when you remove almost anything that defined it as Trek and instead replace it with a bunch of things that are already widely available in a multitude of other shows, then it's Trek in name only in my own personal opinion.

Sorry you're not more entertained by it. It does suck to be disappointed by a favourite franchise. But I'm curious as to what you're actually referring to.

What aspects that "define something as Trek" do you feel have been removed? And what things from other non-Trek shows have replaced them?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2613 on: October 18, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »
Just watched EP.1 of the third season, and I am on board this ride! :tup

Spoilers:

IMO this is what this show should have been about from the very beginning! When before they were trying to fit events into an already existing story, now they can tell a completely new story without any strings attached!

Now we have great hooks for a potentially multi-season story arc. Find Discovery, figure out the mystery of what caused the burn, and begin the work to rebuild The Federation. I just hope they take their time in building up on the mysteries they introduced. I think they are going to find Discovery in the next episode though.

This feels almost like a post apocalyptic version of the ST universe, which it kinda is. I think our main characters are going to have a huge advantage compared to everybody else when they can warp around without using dilithium, with their spore drive. I like the idea of the remaining dilithium being the most valuable thing in the galaxy. The tech also feels strange but believable for a galaxy almost a 1000 years after TOS.

I can't wait to see where they go with this!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: October 18, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
I wonder if they will try to Spore Jump back in time to reverse the Burn... Maybe at the end of S4 ? And then S5 and 6 will be in that time period - 150 years prior to where they are now.

I don't think they will ever return to the time they left since the whole point of the end of S2 was erasing Discovery from existence to line up with canon.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2615 on: October 18, 2020, 03:44:28 PM »
A new story in the future was what I always wanted it to be too.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked both previous seasons and Pike in S2 was especially great, but we'd already had a prequel series with Enterprise so I initially was a little unexcited when it was set in the past. "Where no one has gone before..." does kind of imply a forwards trajectory, after all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: October 18, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
So, Kirstie Alley is a trump supporter and scientologist....

In other news Robin Curtis was great in The Wrath Of Khan...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2617 on: October 18, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
So, Kirstie Alley is a trump supporter and scientologist....

In other news Robin Curtis was great in The Wrath Of Khan...

Deny Kristie altogether?  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2618 on: October 19, 2020, 04:39:06 AM »
People want and like different things from Trek.  I personally didn't like Voyager and Enterprise much - but I've enjoyed most of the modern Trek including the JJ movies (love the first two, OK on Beyond).  I think Lower Decks isn't for me either, I just don't like animated versions of real shows - I see them as two separate things, I mean I adore Futurama but I never want to see a live action version!

I guess I've always held Trek up as a Sci Fi action show as I grew up on repeats of ToS.  Sure you do get some intelligent, well written sci fi drama episodes - but it also features a lot of silly nonsense as well, which is half the fun!  And at it's worst it can do boring repetitive moral tales.

But that's Trek - you like what you like and mock the stuff that you don't!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:18:25 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: October 19, 2020, 06:12:38 AM »
Yeah the episodes of Trek where it's just dry talking about morals and governments are the ones I tend to skip.

Online Adami

« Reply #2620 on: October 19, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »
But when you remove almost anything that defined it as Trek and instead replace it with a bunch of things that are already widely available in a multitude of other shows, then it's Trek in name only in my own personal opinion.

Sorry you're not more entertained by it. It does suck to be disappointed by a favourite franchise. But I'm curious as to what you're actually referring to.

What aspects that "define something as Trek" do you feel have been removed? And what things from other non-Trek shows have replaced them?

Didn’t we already do this and ended on a kind agree to disagree note?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2621 on: October 20, 2020, 01:07:38 AM »
I like Trek and discussing it. What defines Trek to you?

To me it appeals on several levels. Firstly, cool things like the spaceships. Secondly, it's a potential future history of humanity. Thirdly, it often addresses morals and philosophy. And last it has an adventure element to it.

As far as definition, it is defined as Trek to me by being part of that story thread that takes place in the universe that has warp drive, Starfleet, time travel, and other civilizations.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:36:44 AM by DoctorAction »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2622 on: October 20, 2020, 08:46:01 AM »
I like Trek and discussing it. What defines Trek to you?

To me it appeals on several levels. Firstly, cool things like the spaceships. Secondly, it's a potential future history of humanity. Thirdly, it often addresses morals and philosophy. And last it has an adventure element to it.

As far as definition, it is defined as Trek to me by being part of that story thread that takes place in the universe that has warp drive, Starfleet, time travel, and other civilizations.
While I think they occasionally took it too far, the potential future of humanity was an idealized future where everything was just super. That was Roddenberry's whole reason for making it. He wanted it to be hopeful. Once they started making movies they switched from a wonderful outlook to a future that looked just like modern, typically fucked up America. Modern Trek has a dystopian feel, which is a shame. As I see it, it's made for modern audiences, and modern audiences don't want to see a different, better mankind. They just want to see us win.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2623 on: October 20, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
You thinking of the way that Starfleet is represented? They do seem to be the baddies as much as the Romulans/whoever...

I guess it's a zeitgeist thing. Maybe it'll swing back the other way.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2624 on: October 20, 2020, 09:48:18 AM »
Dystopian sums up every single one of my issues.

I LOVE ST...but Discovery, and even the Picard series just had a dark, sinister, 'corruption is everywhere' vibe that just wears on me. Our current world is so, so messed up, and sometimes I just want to escape...to the 24th century!

Everytime I watch a classic TNG episode, I marvel at how well they balance a positive outlook with shades of grey.