Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270782 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2555 on: September 06, 2020, 11:33:29 AM »
But I do like some things. It looks good. The CGI isn't half bad. And I like how it ties into TOS, though there are some lore inconsistencies. Like a Klingon D7 battlecruiser a 100 years before they are even introduced in DIS season 2. :lol
The producers often took designs and designations from the old tile game Starfleet Battles. That's definitely where the D7 designation came from, and the D6 and D7 were basically identical from the outside. Different weapons and other systems, but the same hull design. You could make the case that the ship in ENT was a D6, albeit a brand spanking new one, I'd imagine. However, the model they used was actually a K'tinga class cruiser, blowing that theory all to hell.  :lol  According to Memory Alpha they created a new model to use, presumably a D5, but the producers didn't like it and had them reuse an existing model.

As I recently pointed out, I found ENT far better than I remembered, with S2 probably the high point. S3 was inconsistent, but had the best episodes in it. S4 is half pretty good and half unwatchable garbage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2556 on: September 09, 2020, 06:43:25 AM »
So another ST where the Fed is dead. Hopefully it's half as decent as Andromeda.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2557 on: September 09, 2020, 06:51:01 AM »
So another ST where the Fed is dead. Hopefully it's half as decent as Andromeda.

Yea that trailer did not look good to me. It just went full generic modern sci-fi. Hopefully the show is better than the trailer but it looked pretty awful to this guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2558 on: September 09, 2020, 07:39:46 AM »

I hope it's a lot better than Andromeda!  That show started garbage and somehow got worse the longer it went on.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:47:42 AM by soupytwist »

Online Adami

« Reply #2559 on: September 09, 2020, 07:57:55 AM »

I hope it's a lot better than Andromeda!  That show started garbage and somehow got worse the longer it went on.

I’ve never seen it, but if you hate it, it’s probably fantastic.  ;D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2560 on: September 09, 2020, 08:36:27 AM »

:biggrin:

How you end up getting on with ToS?  I think the last I saw you'd make a start and you were enjoying more than expected.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2561 on: September 09, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
After what I'd read about S2 I was really considering giving it a shot. It was having to get through S1 that stopped me. After seeing that trailer I'm so glad I didn't bother. I'm still cautiously optimistic about the Pike show, but I can't shake this feeling that theyr'e going to set it in the MCU or something.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2562 on: September 09, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »

:biggrin:

How you end up getting on with ToS?  I think the last I saw you'd make a start and you were enjoying more than expected.

Moving very very slowly. On season 2. Just did the Cochran episode. Still enjoying it despite the clunkers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2563 on: September 14, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2564 on: September 23, 2020, 02:36:41 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2565 on: September 23, 2020, 02:55:18 PM »
Holy fuck
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2566 on: September 23, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
Worf did have great hair.  I'm thinking with the right shampoo and conditioner, volumizer, maybe some texturizing product, he could really shine.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2567 on: September 24, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »
Anyone watching lower decks? My wife and I saw the first two episodes and we really enjoyed it. But we have not caught up on the most recent ones. However, I did just read an article that said that John DeLancey made an appearance as Q and one of the newer ones and now I feel like I have to catch up.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2568 on: September 25, 2020, 02:23:34 AM »
It's not out in the UK yet.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: September 25, 2020, 06:40:12 AM »
Anyone watching lower decks? My wife and I saw the first two episodes and we really enjoyed it. But we have not caught up on the most recent ones. However, I did just read an article that said that John DeLancey made an appearance as Q and one of the newer ones and now I feel like I have to catch up.

Yea I've been watching it every week and I really enjoy it. Q did make an appearance this last episode. The show is a bit spastic but the more trek the better IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2570 on: September 27, 2020, 03:36:10 AM »
I saw the first episode of ST:LD ( make something dirty out of THAT gatekeepers...) and it was better than I expected.

Great title sequence . I love the TNG aesthetic and timeline and it wasn't as frantic as I thought it'd be.

I'd happily watch more.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2571 on: September 28, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »
Cool. Good to hear. Hope it comes out here in the UK soon.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2572 on: October 10, 2020, 06:47:22 AM »
I watched the season finale of LD yesterday and it's simply a fantastic show. It's written really well and has the best first season of any ST show peaking at the season finale. Next week is the premier of S3 of Discovery.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2573 on: October 10, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »
I keep forgetting S3 of Disco is just next week.

John De Lancie plays Q again in Lower Decks and Kate Mulgrew is coming back as Janeway in Star Trek Prodigy - a second animated show.

I hope they really space all these shows out. We don't need franchise fatigue again.

Also I for one don't give two sh*ts about Section 31.

I want to see Disco S3. Picard S2 less so but it can only improve on S1 which was a mess but started out well.

I want to see all of Lower Decks as I love the TNG aesthetic and Strange New Worlds is top of my list since it looks like TOS but updated for the 2020s

Hopefully it will have the look and feel of TOS just with ultra modern production and less misery darkness, torture and f-bombs.

So in order - i'm looking forward to :

1. Strange New Worlds. Definitely. Pike. Spock. Enterprise. TOS style show. SOLD

2. Disco S3.

3. Lower Decks S1

4. Picard S2

31. Section 31.

Online Adami

« Reply #2574 on: October 10, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »
I caught maybe the first half of the first episode of Lower Decks. Some neat ideas, but meh. I had a lot of tech problems that didn't let me finish the episode, but I just didn't feel like going out of my way to finish it. Maybe I'll try again one day. Other than "HEY MEMBER THAT?!?!" I just didn't see the appeal.

Yes, I member that. Now what?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2575 on: October 11, 2020, 01:57:13 AM »
I caught maybe the first half of the first episode of Lower Decks. Some neat ideas, but meh. I had a lot of tech problems that didn't let me finish the episode, but I just didn't feel like going out of my way to finish it. Maybe I'll try again one day. Other than "HEY MEMBER THAT?!?!" I just didn't see the appeal.

Yes, I member that. Now what?

I agree.  (Shock!).

I caught the first episode and just didn't get what it was going for.  It wasn't funny, the characters were kind off flat or plain annoying and I didn't get much Trek vibes - other than visual callbacks which were so clunky they felt like product placement. 

Is Section 31 still a thing?   Yeah I tend to agree that isn't hugely appealing.  Although it'll probably be where the awful Ash Tyler goes, so that's good as I don't want that shit character turning up in Strange New Worlds.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2576 on: October 11, 2020, 03:28:46 AM »
Still not sure when lower decks is going to be in the UK but well pumped for Disco 3 next weekend.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2577 on: October 11, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »
I’m with Reaper. I absolutely love LD. I think it’s the best of the new ST shows, and the season finale was brilliant.

My wife wants to catch up on Disco, but I was so put off by S1 that I didn’t even bother with 2. I thought Picard was really good, but I’m enjoying LD even more. And by more I mean A LOT more.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2578 on: October 11, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
I’m with Reaper. I absolutely love LD. I think it’s the best of the new ST shows, and the season finale was brilliant.

My wife wants to catch up on Disco, but I was so put off by S1 that I didn’t even bother with 2. I thought Picard was really good, but I’m enjoying LD even more. And by more I mean A LOT more.

I'm only judging it from the first episode and I have heard it does improve.....but my issue which I admit is probably personal is that I just don't like the idea of crossing between real and animated in a franchise, to me they have their own set of rules.   It makes it even worse when the tone is different,  Lower Decks is clearly going for more comedy.   I hate to go all Adami - but I just can't class this a ST  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2579 on: October 12, 2020, 05:46:07 AM »
Disco S2 was way better than S1.

Picard was like :

First 3 Episodes :  :tup

Middle : :dunno: with Stardust City Rag being one of the worst Trek episodes ever.

Last 3 episodes :  :tup

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2580 on: October 12, 2020, 06:23:49 AM »

I'm only judging it from the first episode and I have heard it does improve.....but my issue which I admit is probably personal is that I just don't like the idea of crossing between real and animated in a franchise, to me they have their own set of rules.   It makes it even worse when the tone is different,  Lower Decks is clearly going for more comedy.   I hate to go all Adami - but I just can't class this a ST  ;D

I had my own reservations going into LD, that somehow the show would take away from the live action stuff regardless of quality but I was shocked at how much I liked it. It's not for everyone; it's in the vain of a spastic style cartoon show like Rick and Morty but call backs get less ham fisted as the show goes on and the writing is really tight.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2581 on: October 12, 2020, 08:10:39 AM »
I didn't have a problem with LD's animation. And I actually enjoyed the TNG aesthetic. While I'm not a fan of that manic comedy style, which was a little over the top here, it didn't ruin the show for men or anything. My problem was that it just wasn't funny. I think I got two mid-level laughs out of the premier. For a show as frantic as that is, there should be a helluval lot more lulz going on that that. We should be talking laughs per minute rather than minutes per laugh.

Eh, to each their own.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2582 on: October 15, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
First episode of season 3 Disco is out.

I think a lot of people will love it but, shockingly, I found it really dumb. It was Star Trek in name only and just a very very generic but well produced sci go show. The only good part was the dude at the end. Good acting. But dumb script and really just meh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2583 on: October 16, 2020, 06:24:47 AM »
I had a pretty lukewarm response to the episode as well, hopefully the season gets better. The weakest start first ep out of the 3 Disco seasons.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2584 on: October 16, 2020, 08:14:22 AM »
I'm all for a really chilled out season after the first two seasons - and Picard - had the massive apocalyptic end of the universe story.

Disco S1 : The Mirror universe have infected the mycelial network which will end all life - everywhere - everywhen.

Disco S2 - Control needs the sphere data to end all life everywhere everywhen

Picard S1 - Robo Gods will come and destroy all life everywhere everywhen

They need to scale it back a lot.  Those are the stories you do in the final episode of the final season. Not every season.

Online Adami

« Reply #2585 on: October 16, 2020, 08:15:53 AM »
I'm all for a really chilled out season after the first two seasons - and Picard - had the massive apocalyptic end of the universe story.

They need to scale it back a lot.

Not sure if you saw it yet, but it’s far from chilled out. It’s full on apocalyptic shoot em up action with some mediocre dialogue in between action scenes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2586 on: October 16, 2020, 08:16:47 AM »
I did see it. What's the big bad apocalyptic threat as revealed in S3 E1 ?

Online Adami

« Reply #2587 on: October 16, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »

You lost me. Besides all dilithium exploding and obliterating everything that resembled civilization leaving only a generic post apocalyptic lawless land? Seems apocalyptic enough to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: October 16, 2020, 08:20:06 AM »
Also - whilst I agree with a lot of the criticisms - I don't get the whole "Star Trek in name only" complaint.

Do you really want yet another weekly crew on a starship encounters a problem and solve it in 45 minutes show again ?

Enterprise was cancelled and Nemesis bombed.

Star Trek needs to change. The Rick Berman era was stale as hell.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: October 16, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »

You lost me. Besides all dilithium exploding and obliterating everything that resembled civilization leaving only a generic post apocalyptic lawless land? Seems apocalyptic enough to me.

According to the story it happened 150 years in the past. It's not a current threat to be stopped by E 13.