Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275345 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1960 on: December 02, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
If you guys had to choose would you rather get a DS9 post as series movie or Voyager post series movie?

DS9, at least they can go back to the station for some reason.

What would the voyager people do? What would possibly bring them together that wasn't forced?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1961 on: December 02, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
I never really got that from DS9. With one exception they wrapped up everything, and that exception was entirely Avery Brooks's doing. The Sisko dies and becomes a profit. End of story. He wanted the ambiguity so it wouldn't be just another story where a black man abandons his family. I think it's a bad move, but whatever. From my perspective the guy's dead and buried, thus concluding the show.

I disagree. Sisko does not die. That's more of a literal interpretation of him falling to his pit and going to "heaven" with the prophets, and I don't think it is the correct one. He has spent time with the prophets before. He was saved by them, and is WITH them, to return when the time is right (which he tells Kasidy. And again, the baseball is on the desk. It's pretty clear to me that he's not gone permanently. I understand Avery Brooks not wanting it seem like a black man is abandoning his family. I think he was right to want that. But I think saying the "guy's dead and buried" misses the overall point about the Prophets and Sisko's tie to them. They saved him, he saved them, and he'll be back. It's all very clear to me. But that's the beauty of episodes like this, right? We all take it in different ways.
I'm looking at it from the standpoint of what the writers intended, and not based on the tacked-on ambiguity that was forced upon them. And it is ambiguous. He pops up and says maybe I'll be back someday. What, do we think he's going to return from being a Prophet and settle down with his family in his custom built home on Bajor? The Prophets told him he'd find no peace on Bajor, and he wouldn't spend his life with Cassidy. I think that pretty much covers it, occasional poltergeisting aside.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1962 on: December 03, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
I'm looking at it from the standpoint of what the writers intended, and not based on the tacked-on ambiguity that was forced upon them. And it is ambiguous. He pops up and says maybe I'll be back someday. What, do we think he's going to return from being a Prophet and settle down with his family in his custom built home on Bajor? The Prophets told him he'd find no peace on Bajor, and he wouldn't spend his life with Cassidy. I think that pretty much covers it, occasional poltergeisting aside.

No, he actually says he WILL be back. I just watched it.  ;)

Again, we simply disagree, but that correction is vital to my point. He makes a concerted effort to say he will be back, and all the normal signs (the baseball, etc.) all show that. It's just a matter of when. They said he would not find peace on Bajor. That doesn't mean he won't find peace somewhere else in the corporeal world. You keep talking about what the writers intended, which to be honest, I haven't watched the documentary yet, and haven't read what the writers said they wanted. But I'm going by what Sisko himself said, and the signs all through the end of the episode to indicate Sisko is NOT permanently gone.

And El B -- I don't know you well, so don't take any of this as me being fired up or whatnot. No disrespect or antagonizing intended. We just disagree on that point is all. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1963 on: December 03, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
And El B -- I don't know you well, so don't take any of this as me being fired up or whatnot. No disrespect or antagonizing intended. We just disagree on that point is all. :)
It's Star Trek. We're supposed to disagree vehemently and spend years debating tiny details.  :lol

If I were to go with what  Sisko said and not what the intended ending was, then I have to move strongly into Hef's camp that the final episode sucked. Him going off temporarily to be with the Prophets, only to return at some later point just doesn't make any sense. It's a corny ending that doesn't jibe with everything else we've seen from the show, and honestly makes no sense. Also, I've seen the baseball brought up a couple of times, and that doesn't make sense, either. He's non-corporial. Where would he put it? Do they have shelves for knickknacks in the celestial temple? Will he have his own room? A cubicle? Will he carry it around for the rest of time, like Marley's chains?

Something else that never really sat well with me is that he appears in a vision to Cassidy to tell her he'll be gone indefinitely, but why not Jake? He's got this awesome bond with his kid and he's only known Cassidey for what, 3 years? "By the way, tell Jake I said "see ya." That never really seemed right to me. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1964 on: December 03, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »
If I were to go with what  Sisko said and not what the intended ending was, then I have to move strongly into Hef's camp that the final episode sucked. 
Well, we don't have the intended ending, whatever that may be.  We only have the ending.  All that happened is what happened on screen. 

So yeah, IMO it kind of sucked.  Which was a real shame, because I enjoyed the hell out of most of the rest of the series.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: December 03, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »
It's Star Trek. We're supposed to disagree vehemently and spend years debating tiny details.  :lol

If I were to go with what  Sisko said and not what the intended ending was, then I have to move strongly into Hef's camp that the final episode sucked. Him going off temporarily to be with the Prophets, only to return at some later point just doesn't make any sense. It's a corny ending that doesn't jibe with everything else we've seen from the show, and honestly makes no sense. Also, I've seen the baseball brought up a couple of times, and that doesn't make sense, either. He's non-corporial. Where would he put it? Do they have shelves for knickknacks in the celestial temple? Will he have his own room? A cubicle? Will he carry it around for the rest of time, like Marley's chains?

Something else that never really sat well with me is that he appears in a vision to Cassidy to tell her he'll be gone indefinitely, but why not Jake? He's got this awesome bond with his kid and he's only known Cassidey for what, 3 years? "By the way, tell Jake I said "see ya." That never really seemed right to me. 

I liked the ending of DS9 but the Jake thing did bother me a bit. Ben and Jake had an amzing relationship for the entire run of the show, I just head cannon that Ben came to him in another vision.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: December 07, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »
Finally got around to watching the What We Left Behind documentary. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I LOVED the writer's room. That whole "this is how Season 8, starting today would be" feature, running throughout the doc, was brilliant. Really intrigued by where it would go from there. I don't remember how much folks talked about that here, so I'll stay vague, but I guess since this is the DS9 writing team (for the most part), that's probably as close to canon as we'll get. A shame we won't get to see it...but at least, if you take it as canon, we have an answer as to Sisko.

I also really loved the segments with all the actors, and then the parts that talked about Avery Brooks' intensity, particularly in the episode that took place in the 50s when they were all writers. I enjoy and appreciate Avery really taking responsibility for setting a tone for African-Americans, and how important it was to him to portray "what should be." And the fact that Cirroc Lofton and Avery Brooks still maintain a father-son like relationship today was heartwarming.

On the other hand, some of the social agenda pushing from Ira Behr was overwhelming. Ira is Ira, and we know Trek tackles issues. But I felt the heavy emphasis he put on some issues in the documentary really took away from celebrating the show. Celebrate DS9. Don't use it (the doc) as a platform to continue pushing stuff down peoples' throats. I felt a couple of the deleted scenes should have been added and the social issue scene (in the cutting room) and some of the conversation could have been relegated to deleted scenes. I'm not passing judgement on the issues. Just think that a doc on DS9 would have been better if things like the writer's room were expanded, and the social stuff left on the back burner.

I also thought the opening and closing "songs" were unnecessary and corny.  :lol

Overall, I give the documentary a "B." It wasn't great, it wasn't bad, it was decent.

It was hard watching Aron Eisenberg. You could tell how much he loved the show. How much they all did. But particularly Aron. May he rest in peace. And hey, according to the writers, Nog is captain of the Defiant. Can't think of a better way to celebrate his character, and Aron's life.

On to the extended book universe (post last episode of DS9) for me. Reading The Never Ending Sacrifice first though -- a novel that tells the story of what happened to Rugal, the Cardassian boy who was living on Bajor, who Sisko sent back with his Cardassian father to Cardassia. GREAT read so far.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: December 07, 2019, 09:14:04 PM »
I watched the What WE Left Behind Documentary again a little bit ago and it just seemed so scattered. They talk about what season 8 would look like, then they are talking about social commentary, then there is the HD footage out of no where, some singing thrown in. It just lacked focus.

Online Adami

« Reply #1968 on: December 08, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
Odo has left us and rejoined the great link.

RIP Rene Auberjonois

:'(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1969 on: December 08, 2019, 05:22:05 PM »
Well said Adami.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: December 08, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
Wow, he passed away? First Aron and now Rene, that's terrible news.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1971 on: December 08, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
That's a damn shame.

He was in a ton of stuff. One of those guys that was always popping up, and was a regular on several series. Aside from DS9, Boston Legal, and Benson (and probably one or two other series I'm forgetting about), he guested all over the place. He was the first Father Francis Mulcahey. I recall a great turn as a coward on an episode of Bah Bah Blacksheep. And of course he was Colonel West.

E.F. Benson

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1972 on: December 08, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
Man, this one really sucks. Odo is my favorite regular character on DS9 outside of Garek.

I am also a huge fan of Warehouse 13 and his recurring character of Hugo Miller was so quirky and the antithesis of Odo. The man had range and was great in everything he did.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1973 on: December 09, 2019, 01:12:18 AM »
RIP Rene! :(

Aside from playing my favorite DS9 character, he was truly a powerhouse actor with a lot under his belt!

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1974 on: December 09, 2019, 04:16:53 AM »
Don't know Rene's work outside of Star Trek.   But he was really great in DS9, the pathos and dignity he showed in the role really brought the character of Odo to life.

RIP.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: December 09, 2019, 08:11:55 AM »
RIP Rene. When I saw the news last night, I hadn't realized he was 79.

Nice post, Adami.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1976 on: December 09, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
So in that documentary where the writers brainstorm a season 8, do they discuss the part where Rom get's thrown off the roof of a very tall building? The Ferengi aren't exactly known for being discrete or forgiving, and Rom's going back to fundamentally change their culture to one that apes the hu-mon's "enlightenment." Zek might have been able to pull it off. He was old and respected. Rom's a young idiot that nobody's ever heard of. He wouldn't last a week. Hell, Rom himself set out to assassinate Grand Nagus Quark, and that was over something trivial.

Some of these little details are interesting to me. Like how much does it suck to be the Breen at the end of the war? How many centuries does it take to shake off the stigma of being those guys that jumped in at the very end hoping to be on the winning side? The Kardassians are sympathetic here. The Breen are just a bunch of dicks.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1977 on: December 09, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »
So in that documentary where the writers brainstorm a season 8, do they discuss the part where Rom get's thrown off the roof of a very tall building? The Ferengi aren't exactly known for being discrete or forgiving, and Rom's going back to fundamentally change their culture to one that apes the hu-mon's "enlightenment." Zek might have been able to pull it off. He was old and respected. Rom's a young idiot that nobody's ever heard of. He wouldn't last a week. Hell, Rom himself set out to assassinate Grand Nagus Quark, and that was over something trivial.

Some of these little details are interesting to me. Like how much does it suck to be the Breen at the end of the war? How many centuries does it take to shake off the stigma of being those guys that jumped in at the very end hoping to be on the winning side? The Kardassians are sympathetic here. The Breen are just a bunch of dicks.

Nope, didn't cover any of that at all.

I actually wasn't too fond of the writers room because you had some FANTASTIC people in there who basically got sidelined by Ira and I think 1-2 others who essentially did the whole thing while people like Ron Moore just watched.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1978 on: December 09, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »

I was being facetious. I just figured while watching WYLB that he was going to be one of those characters with a tragic outcome that gets overlooked.

And the more I think about it the more that part of the conclusion bugs me. It's supposed to be a good thing that the Ferengi adopt the ways of the all-mighty federation? Just another nod to the smug superiority of the hu-mons, really.

And Ira has always struck me as an attention whore. We should all be eternally grateful to the guy for what he did with DS9, but it seems like he wants in on every little bit of it. I've seen videos of him at conventions, and he tends to take all the spotlight.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1979 on: December 09, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »
You think the guy with the blue beard is an attention whore?

Hmmm
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: December 09, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »

I actually wasn't too fond of the writers room because you had some FANTASTIC people in there who basically got sidelined by Ira and I think 1-2 others who essentially did the whole thing while people like Ron Moore just watched.

Well, remember, the writer's room stuff wasn't the full footage. They were there for what, an eight-hour block? And we got approximately 20 minutes of those eight hours?

Your point about Ira is a good one, I think someone pitched an idea, and Ira changed it, and the writer was like "well, you're the lead writer." It wasn't said with any malice that I could detect, but Ira's personality does tend to dominate.

I enjoyed the writer's room segment for the outline of Season 8, episode 1. It really made me want it to be produced. A shame it won't be.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1983 on: December 17, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet in this thread but PICARD Season 2 has been renewed already

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-trek-picard-renewed-season-two-patrick-stewart-cbs-all-access-1202809964/
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #1984 on: December 17, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
Is season 1 out yet? Did anyone watch it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: December 17, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »
Is season 1 out yet? Did anyone watch it?

Nope. Comes out January 23rd. They renewed S2 before S1 was even out. Must have some confidence in it or seen some sort of 'numbers' behind the interest.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1986 on: December 17, 2019, 03:04:08 PM »
It could be Patrick Stewart reading the Yellow Pages and it'd get renewed for a second season. They know people will watch it even if it sucks.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1987 on: December 17, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
It could be Patrick Stewart reading the Yellow Pages and it'd get renewed for a second season. They know people will watch it even if it sucks.

It's also a good marketing tool.

Wow it must be really good if it's already getting renewed! Best check that out!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1988 on: December 17, 2019, 03:11:55 PM »
On an unrelated note, B'Elanna Torres is the worst Klingon in the history of the show. Not talking about the mostly human hybrid chick she normally plays, but the real Klingon half of her as created by the Vedians. All she does is talk. . . . .very. . . . . very. . . . . slow. When Siddig al Twentysevendifferentarabnames played a bad guy he always did the same thing, which sucked, but was nowhere near as bad as Dawson. I've been cruising through VOY and mostly enjoying it, but this is insufferable.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1989 on: December 17, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
On an unrelated note, B'Elanna Torres is the worst Klingon in the history of the show. Not talking about the mostly human hybrid chick she normally plays, but the real Klingon half of her as created by the Vedians. All she does is talk. . . . .very. . . . . very. . . . . slow. When Siddig al Twentysevendifferentarabnames played a bad guy he always did the same thing, which sucked, but was nowhere near as bad as Dawson. I've been cruising through VOY and mostly enjoying it, but this is insufferable.

They pulled a Shatner?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1990 on: December 17, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »

They pulled a Shatner?
Yep, except Shatner pulled it off. He was fine as both the psycho and the wuss. Dawson not so much.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1991 on: December 20, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
I just learned that Amazon Prime Video will have Star Trek: Picard videos within 24 hours of their air-date on CBS All Access.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: December 20, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »
I just learned that Amazon Prime Video will have Star Trek: Picard videos within 24 hours of their air-date on CBS All Access.

Nice! This is good news.....

Online Adami

« Reply #1993 on: December 20, 2019, 12:41:50 PM »
Oh yea?

Guess I can watch it without feeling dirty for paying for CBS!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1994 on: December 20, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »

The only thing I've seen is that it will be on Amazon Prime internationally.

I haven't seen anything about that happening here in the U.S.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.