Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275366 times)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1715 on: January 08, 2019, 03:23:26 AM »
I just tried watching Enterprise again. That intro and song, wtf were they thinking? :tdwn

It seems like they are in a tiny little ship. Were they confined to a small studio or something? Everything looks small and cramped in this series, at least from what I watched.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1716 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:30 AM »
I just tried watching Enterprise again. That intro and song, wtf were they thinking? :tdwn

It seems like they are in a tiny little ship. Were they confined to a small studio or something? Everything looks small and cramped in this series, at least from what I watched.

Enterprise had it's bright spot's but overall, yeah it's not good.

Small studio might have had something to do with the sets, but Enterprise is set like a 100? years before TOS, so the ship is not supposed to look as advanced.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:54:58 PM by Polarbear »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1717 on: January 08, 2019, 07:00:41 AM »
The small space of the that ship was 100% intentional. They wanted it much more submarine like. Uncomfortable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1718 on: January 08, 2019, 08:28:11 AM »
Yep. But by submarine standards it's absolutely palatial.

And I've always maintained that with a proper theme song they would have been much better received. That set the tone for everything.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1719 on: January 08, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »
The submarine makes sense! They definitely gave that vibe of being in a sardine can. I definitely think that show was doomed with that song. That coupled with a hot chick in a bowl hair cut I can see how it lacked audience appeal. Giving it the old college try again now

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1720 on: January 09, 2019, 02:45:58 AM »
Do people pay that much attention to theme songs? I skip 99% of them. 100% if I've already seen it once, which I only do the first time I watch something. In terms of sets, Enterprise is probably my favourite.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1721 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
You have to ask if people here pay attention to the song, on a forum dedicated to music?  :rollin

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1722 on: January 18, 2019, 08:43:54 AM »
Anyone watch the first episode of Discovery's second season? I saw it. Wasn't bad. I like the actor they have playing Cpt. Pike (Anson Mount) in 'Hell on Wheels' and judging from the first episode he may fit right in as a Starship Captain.

It wasn't anything groundbreaking but I'm curious to see what unfolds with this season compared to the first.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1723 on: January 18, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »
I liked it, I think this might be overall their best episode or at least the one with the least amount of bad in it. It had more ST vibe than the rest. The cocky dude was a waste of screen time, had no purpose other to waste resources. It was obvious he was going to be written out, I really don't know why they even bothered.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: January 18, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
The cocky dude was a waste of screen time, had no purpose other to waste resources. It was obvious he was going to be written out, I really don't know why they even bothered.

I thought the same thing. You immediately knew from the moment he was introduced then, especially once they were in the pods that he was getting knocked off.

But I agree that it had a better feel.....and I think the story is going to be more interesting than the convoluted one they threw at us in season 1.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1725 on: January 18, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »
I tried to watch it but it just said Season 2 premiers January 17th. There was no way to watch it. Did they wait til midnight or something?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: January 18, 2019, 08:22:05 PM »
I tried to watch it but it just said Season 2 premiers January 17th. There was no way to watch it. Did they wait til midnight or something?

It was about 10:0 pm central when I watched

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: January 19, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »
I finally got through watching all of DS9, what a great series. I always thought VOY was my favorite but about half way through this viewing of DS9 I realized it was better. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind again after I get through voy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1728 on: January 19, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
DS9 is a show that is a lot better as a whole. Not that the individual episodes aren't great too, but it really is the best overall series because it's designed that way, unlike any other Trek series.
Voyager as on overarching story was flawed from the start, and it has its fair share of good and bad episodes, but it's still the series I come back to most when it comes to watching individual random episodes here and there.

New episode of STD was ok-ish for what it is. It was lame how they introduced a character who was so damn annoying that it was ok to kill him off for the sake of showing the stakes. It would have had more impact if he was somewhat likeable though. Didn't like the stupid Iron Man space suits, and there was a whole bunch of shit that didn't fit with canon as expected, but the tone of the show has improved a bit. The characters at times almost seem half likeable now.
I like the casting for Pike. He was never too fleshed out in what little we saw of him in TOS, so they've got plenty of room for interpretation there without me caring much.
Seeing Spock is going to just piss me right off. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1729 on: January 19, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
I really liked the premise of Voyager. Two crews stranded together on the other side of the galaxy. 70+ year trip back home. No guarantees of survival, and a captain and a first officer whose ideals clash at every turn. Against all odds they have to band together to face the unknown.

At least that's what it was supposed to be. Too often it just resulted to being TNG part 2. I still like the show, and there are some fantastic episodes scattered throughout it's run.

I haven't seen the new STD episode, but the trailer looked pretty good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: January 19, 2019, 02:19:24 PM »
And I've always maintained that with a proper theme song they would have been much better received. That set the tone for everything.

Agreed. That song was tough to take.....it was just so, random.

I actually enjoyed Enterprise but I think I was conditioned to like anything Scott Bakula did/does because I loved Quantum Leap. I liked the series though....thought it caught some footing and had a good little run but I don't think it ever really reached that 'must see' level like TNG did for me.

I remember making sure I was there and ready at 9:00 on Saturday nights to watch TNG.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1731 on: January 19, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »
TNG will always be my favorite.

I was able to watch Discovery last night and it was good but they put way too much emphasis on the visuals, which I don't think anyone is impressed by any longer. Too much CGI in everything. I'd rather a more compelling story than flipping ships and a bazillions things going on so that I can't even process wtf I'm looking at (Michael Bay?). Aside from that, it was still worth watching and I hope it will continue to get better.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1732 on: January 21, 2019, 01:24:28 AM »
I really liked the premise of Voyager. Two crews stranded together on the other side of the galaxy. 70+ year trip back home. No guarantees of survival, and a captain and a first officer whose ideals clash at every turn. Against all odds they have to band together to face the unknown.

One of the many stupid things they did with Voyager was resolve this conflict in the pilot.   I always thought Voyager was the worst Star Trek spin-off - all the shitty Next Gen writers ended up on that show (Taylor/Braga) while all the good ones went to DS9 (Moore/Behr) - that's why DS9 is far more creative and it's crew get fleshed out.....unlike Voyager's boring crew.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1733 on: January 21, 2019, 03:18:34 AM »

One of the many stupid things they did with Voyager was resolve this conflict in the pilot.   I always thought Voyager was the worst Star Trek spin-off - all the shitty Next Gen writers ended up on that show (Taylor/Braga) while all the good ones went to DS9 (Moore/Behr) - that's why DS9 is far more creative and it's crew get fleshed out.....unlike Voyager's boring crew.

I agree that the DS9 cast gets much more fleshed out. Still some of my favorite ST characters are from Voyager. Namely The Doctor and Seven. And that is because those two get some legit character development throughout the show.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1734 on: January 28, 2019, 04:57:04 AM »
The second episode of Discovery season 2 in my opinion is the shows best episode so far.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1735 on: February 22, 2019, 01:25:35 AM »
What a great week to be a Trekky.  First The Orville may just be in the middle of it's show defining 'Best of Both Worlds' and Discovery also nails a great episode too.   Saru is awesome.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1736 on: February 22, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
I read something pretty interesting the other night. Apparently Robert Hewitt Wolf wrote a script that was submitted and got hired as a permanent member of the writing staff on the strength of that episode. It was Fistful of Datas. An episode pretty much nobody likes, but TPTB thought it was such a good effort they needed to snag this guy immediately. Perhaps I'll go back and watch it again to see if I can find a reason such a terrible episode made these people think "wow, we really need to hire this guy." The reason I thought this so interesting is because Wolfie was shipped over to the DS9 staff and essentially invented the Dominion as we know it. There were hints about the founders, but all pretty cryptic. He went home for a weekend and came back with the outline for the Founder/Jem Hadar/Vorta triumvirate and Odo being a lost founder. Without his input would DS9 have been anything close to what it became?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: February 23, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
I didn't know that Barto. I couldn't imagine what DS9 would've been without the Dominion. I think part of the strength of DS9 was how it became more serialized towards the end with these large story arcs.

I wonder if similar arc lengths would've happened if the Dominion was never a thing.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1738 on: February 24, 2019, 11:46:54 AM »
The Dominion was going to be a thing, one way or another. They'd been mentioned pretty early on, and hinted at somewhat regularly. And it was probably going to become serialized either way because that's what Ira Steven Behar was wanting to do. The Dominion was a good way to go about it. Wolfy's credit was in creating the outline of how it all fit together. Without which we might still have had 4 seasons worth of Dominion intrigue but they'd simply be some new variant on the Borg or the Klingons.

ISB definitely deserves a ton of the credit. As the show runner he's really what made the last 4 seasons so great. Moreover, he was Wolf's regular writing partner and between them they wrote the lion's share of what we consider great episodes. They were clearly the A team. This is a fine bibliography, and includes most of the really important stories:

"Q-Less" (teleplay only) (Season 1)
    "The Passenger" (teleplay only, with others)
    "In the Hands of the Prophets"
    "Invasive Procedures" (teleplay only, with John Whelpley) (Season 2)
    "Second Sight" (teleplay only, with several others)
    "Shadowplay"
    "The Wire"
    "The Collaborator" (teleplay only, with Ira Steven Behr and Gary Holland)
    "The Search, Part I" (story only, with Ira Steven Behr) (Season 3)
    "The Search, Part II" (story only, with Ira Steven Behr)

"Second Skin"
    "Past Tense, Part I" (story with Ira Steven Behr, teleplay)
    "Past Tense, Part II" (story only, with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Heart of Stone" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Prophet Motive" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Distant Voices" (teleplay only, with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Through the Looking Glass" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Family Business" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "The Adversary" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "The Way of the Warrior" (with Ira Steven Behr) (Season 4)

"Little Green Men" (teleplay only, with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Homefront" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Paradise Lost" (teleplay only, with Ira Steven Behr)

"Bar Association" (teleplay only, With Ira Steven Behr)
    "Hard Time" (teleplay Only)
    "To the Death" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Broken Link" (teleplay only, with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Apocalypse Rising" (with Ira Steven Behr) (Season 5)

"Trials and Tribble-ations" (story with Ira Steven Behr and Hans Beimler)
    "Let He Who Is Without Sin..." (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "The Ascent" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "In Purgatory's Shadow" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "By Inferno's Light" (with Ira Steven Behr)

"Ties of Blood and Water" (teleplay only)
    "Blaze of Glory" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Call to Arms" (with Ira Steven Behr)
    "Field of Fire" (Season 7)

And all because of A Fistful of Datas.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1739 on: March 09, 2019, 12:21:43 AM »
I have to say, that I have been enjoying the new season of Discovery a lot more than I expected! It's a genuine improvement on season 1 IMO. New Eden episode by Jonathan Frakes was fantastic, as was the two Saru focused episodes!

I think the latest episode also pretty much confirms, that Discovery is set in yet another parallel timeline. I can't wait to see where this is going with the mystery of the "Red Angel", and with everything that was revealed in the last episode.

I think I also read somewhere that Discovery is greenly for season 3, and I think that the arc of season 2 might stretch into season 3.

Also started rewatching DS9 and man is it slow in the early seasons ;D I'm going to stick through it knowing what's to come.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: March 09, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »
After dragging my feet across the second season of TNG, I've finally come across a somewhat long stretch of interesting episodes, ranging from good to excellent. I haven't posted for a while, this is my first run through TNG, ever.
What's keeping me going is knowing that it's gonna get better and also likeable/interesting characters like Data, Geordi and Worf.
I'm also waiting on the actor playing Ricker to get better, there's no way he's gonna be this way until the end.
Troi was such a ridiculously unnecessary character, she's evolving a little bit now, becoming more like the ship's shrink.
Here we go:
Time Squared: First episode in the string, although not great; it was unique enough for me to want to go to the next one instead of waiting a couple of month as I have been doing.
The Icarus Factor: Ricker is hardly tolerable when the episode is not focused on him, so this episode was kinda difficult to get through, it almost set me back into my TNG-stagnation mode. But the Worf storyline kept it interesting, it was fun to see a crankier-than-usual Worf heh
Pen Pals: Good episode, the actor playing Data has been knocking it out of the park from the beginning, striking the right balance between displaying his robotic side and his developing embrace/understanding of emotions. As far as I remember, this is the first TNG episode that deals with the prime directive. The discussion the crew had about it was pretty cool. I stayed engaged in the plot the whole time, rare for TNG so far.
Q Who: Excellent episode, the best TNG yet. Some of you may remember I couldn't stand Q on his previous appearances but this time was different. I feel like I understood the reason for his presence and his attachment to Picard and/or the Enterprise, not understanding what the fuck he wanted before was the main reason I disliked his previous episodes, the superior-being-is-bored-and-playful theme wasn't interesting for me. Now the Borg are a pretty freakin grim prospect, I hope/think we'll see them again. Species that aims to use you for raw materials and refuses to even acknowledge your intellect because they deem it inferior to them? That's pretty cool heh. Some serious 1990's money had to be spent on the CGI of this episode, the inside of the Borg's ship looked awesome by 1990's TV standards. Whoopi has more speaking lines here, I like that a lot, I know she becomes a series regular later and I think she'd be the much needed "human" element that the show sorely misses.
Samaritan Snare: Funniest Star Trek aliens ever! Fun episode, I get the feeling that Geordi would be working at Home Depot if he hadn't joined Star Fleet.
Up The Long Ladder: Good episode. A couple of raised eyebrows for me here, I looked them up and it seems like nobody else thought anything of it so I must have over-thinking it:
1 - Riker murders two almost-fully developed human clones in cold blood.
2 - Picard's plan for these two civilizations dictates that every woman of the under-developed group would have to mate with three men.
Just thought for 90's audience, maybe even now, that these two points would poke somebody the wrong way, but I was wrong.
O'Brien is now being given relatively too many lines, I just don't wanna see this guy talk, I hope they don't start giving him plotlines.
Manhunt: Troi's mom is as annoying as ever yet Picard can't seem to stop having erotic thoughts about her for some reason. Meh episode, more O'Brien lines, shit!
The Emissary: Great episode, first time we get a hot female Klingon and played by a decent quality actress too. I liked the prospect of seeing Klingons from TOS days, I was hoping for a reference to the TOS crew but they didn't do it. I would've also liked to see a longer interaction between Worf and the awakened Klingons, more details on how/why the Klingons accepted a peace treaty with the federation.

Two episodes to the end of season two. Most of y'all said it picks up in season 3. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, if it continues to be of the same quality as the last 5 episodes then I'll stay on. What I'm hoping to see over the next few seasons or on the next spin-offs is a season-long arc of a big disastrous event occurring to the Federation, like an advanced civilization invasion, and the Enterprise being a rouge ship in some kind of under ground resistance, I've always wanted to see something like that. Seeing the Borg revived these hopes for me, but I'm gonna try not to get too attached to the idea.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1741 on: March 11, 2019, 02:30:22 AM »
What's keeping me going is knowing that it's gonna get better and also likeable/interesting characters like Data, Geordi and Worf.

Geordi Interesting?
Geordi Likeable?

:)

Agree with 'Polarbear'.  The second season of Discovery has been better (although I didn't mind the first season).  Pike has been a fantasic addition to the show, I really hope they find away for him to stay round (even if it break canon).  He's already surpassed Lorca, Archer, Janeway and Sisko.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1742 on: March 11, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
What I'm hoping to see over the next few seasons or on the next spin-offs is a season-long arc of a big disastrous event occurring to the Federation, like an advanced civilization invasion, and the Enterprise being a rouge ship in some kind of under ground resistance, I've always wanted to see something like that. Seeing the Borg revived these hopes for me, but I'm gonna try not to get too attached to the idea.
Well, you got a 2 season long war coming up with DS9.

Samaritan Snare: Funniest Star Trek aliens ever! Fun episode, I get the feeling that Geordi would be working at Home Depot if he hadn't joined Star Fleet.
Those guys were awesome. Every time they stunned Geordi it cracked me up.

Still plenty more to come with both the Borg and the Klingons.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1743 on: March 12, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »
Now the Borg are a pretty freakin grim prospect, I hope/think we'll see them again.

The Borg were the worst part of TNG and any Star Trek for that matter. I always felt like when they had writers block they'd go to the Borg parking lot to fill the void. then the whole resistance is futILE vs futul .... Ughh

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1744 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:49 AM »
Now the Borg are a pretty freakin grim prospect, I hope/think we'll see them again.

The Borg were the worst part of TNG and any Star Trek for that matter. I always felt like when they had writers block they'd go to the Borg parking lot to fill the void. then the whole resistance is futILE vs futul .... Ughh
The Borg were excellent villains until FC turned them into pretty generic badguys. Then, not too long after, Janeway starts kicking their ass on a fairly regular basis. For a  while they were the one adversary that outclassed the federation in every aspect, save for the coping skills of humanity. That made them superb antagonists. When they just became a badguy of the week and they were pretty bad.

The Jem'Harar never had that problem. Right up until the end of the war they were fearsome. Moreover, you had some personality with them. There's something frightening about an enemy who's motivated entirely by instinct and religious fervor. Overall I'd call them the better antagonists, but the early Borg were very good.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: March 22, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »
Ensigns of Command - Great Data episode, I'm growing more and more fond of the character.
Also, the aliens in this episode have been dismissive of Picard. Hung up on him during communication, then beamed him off his ship while he was talking to them then came sweet revenge when he hung up on them and they needed to continue a discussion, they called back but Picard strolled around the bridge, dusting off a metal plaque on the wall, slowly walked back before he picked up :lol
Ricker goes "You enjoyed that..", "You're damned right" answers Picard hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1746 on: March 22, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
That's a great moment.  Picard is such a low-key guy, always in control.  So what would a smug Picard even look like?  Something like this.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1747 on: March 22, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
Agreed.
Another thing about this episode, all this happens every now and then, is the odd -almost stupid- selection for the away team. You know there's a community of humans down on that planet and they are somewhat behind on technology, you need to convince them to leave their planet or else an alien force is going to massacre them all. Let's send Data, alone, this seems right up his alley..
The one time it would have made sense for Troi to be on the away team..
Half way through the episode Data called Ricker to tell him basically that these people won't listen to him and the mission if out of his grasp. Ricker tells him something along the lines of "I don't care, try harder, get it done", wtf! that's just bad leadership there heh

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1748 on: March 22, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »
Agreed.
Another thing about this episode, all this happens every now and then, is the odd -almost stupid- selection for the away team. You know there's a community of humans down on that planet and they are somewhat behind on technology, you need to convince them to leave their planet or else an alien force is going to massacre them all. Let's send Data, alone, this seems right up his alley..
The one time it would have made sense for Troi to be on the away team..
Half way through the episode Data called Ricker to tell him basically that these people won't listen to him and the mission if out of his grasp. Ricker tells him something along the lines of "I don't care, try harder, get it done", wtf! that's just bad leadership there heh
Humans are eaten alive by the radiation. Data was the only one they could send. While it's possible that they could have sent others once they learned the inhabitants were immune, it's not at all guaranteed that those people didn't acquire the immunity over time. Time the Enterprise crew didn't have. Data really was the only option. But if you have a problem with that, wait until Picard beams every single person off of the ship except Acting Captain Crusher and a hand full of ensigns.  :lol

I don't guess you've seen one yet, but there are a few times when Data gets put in command and he's great as a captain.

Real good episode, though. I like Data being the primary focus of episodes, and I like the Sheliac. And yeah, Picard dusting off the top of the dedication plaque while he kept them on hold was a hoot.

Interesting tidibt--the guy who played the leader of the colonists (Garvin?) was entirely overdubbed in post-production. They liked the actor but decided after they filmed it that his voice didn't really work. I'm not too sure but I think the actor might have been too Texan.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1749 on: March 22, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
Riker is a fun guy.  When they cooked up TNG, one obvious question was whether/how would they try to reproduce the dynamic between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. 

With Picard being the calm, seasoned veteran, and Data kinda being the Spock character, Riker brought the brash, the arrogant.  Yeah, the line to Data was kinduva dick thing to say, but it was in character.  Riker could definitely be an asshole sometimes.