Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270787 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1680 on: June 20, 2018, 05:17:39 AM »
Some higher up execs really don't like Star Trek or the fans and would love to release shit that would piss them off.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1681 on: June 22, 2018, 08:08:27 AM »
Some higher up execs really don't like Star Trek or the fans and would love to release shit that would piss them off.
Perhaps, but I think it's more likely they're just targeting a much broader audience. The execs understand that you don't get butts in seats by having 3 guys talk their way out of a mysterious situation.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: June 23, 2018, 09:20:23 PM »
Just re-watched the final episode of TNG. One of my favorite episodes of TNG and a really bittersweet final scene.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1683 on: June 24, 2018, 04:37:14 AM »
Just re-watched the final episode of TNG. One of my favorite episodes of TNG and a really bittersweet final scene.

The one thing I disliked about the premise of All Good Things was how Q placed the blame on Picard... but if Q hadn't gone meddling in all three time periods, the anomaly would've never been created!  Other than that, it is a fantastic way to close the series.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1684 on: June 24, 2018, 05:24:07 AM »

The one thing I disliked about the premise of All Good Things was how Q placed the blame on Picard... but if Q hadn't gone meddling in all three time periods, the anomaly would've never been created!  Other than that, it is a fantastic way to close the series.

He wasn’t actually blaming him. He was using that to motivate him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1685 on: July 20, 2018, 11:01:44 PM »
New trailer for Discovery season 2 has been released..

It looks better than the first season IMO. Needlessly dark tone of season 1 appears to be gone, in favor of a lighter tone. There appears to be a season long arc, like last time. This time, it looks like they'll be doing some legit exploring!

I still don't have any idea how this is supposed to link to Spock and the prime universe, but at least this looks like a fun Star Trek adventure..

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1686 on: August 04, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

« Reply #1687 on: August 04, 2018, 03:37:09 PM »
Picard is back in a new series. I have high hopes for this one.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/patrick-stewart-star-new-star-trek-series-jean-luc-picard-cbs-all-access-1202440156/

Wait, dudes getting his own show? I thought it might have been a discovery appearance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1688 on: August 04, 2018, 04:10:37 PM »
Cool, so this is post Nemesis?

I would like to see Picard mentor the captain of the next Enterprise, and eventually move to an admiral role.

What I'm interested to find out, is that is this going to feature Enterprise F and a new crew...

Online Adami

« Reply #1689 on: August 04, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
I'm on the fence.

I love Picard. Love him. But this is the same people that made Discovery. It's Alex Kurtzman behind the whole thing.

None of that, minus Stewart, is at all exciting or intriguing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1690 on: August 04, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »
Yeah, I'll pass.

So we've got, yet another, universe to deal with now. We already had the prime timeline, the JJ Timeline, the CBS timeline, and now we're getting the CBS timeline TNG. Joy. The nature of their licensing agreement will prohibit them from making it look anything like TNG, so we're basically going to get the cool, optimistic Picard set in basement of the Nostromo.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: August 04, 2018, 06:19:17 PM »
I will give it a shot only for picard.

Online Adami

« Reply #1692 on: August 04, 2018, 06:37:59 PM »
Yeah, I'll pass.

So we've got, yet another, universe to deal with now. We already had the prime timeline, the JJ Timeline, the CBS timeline, and now we're getting the CBS timeline TNG. Joy. The nature of their licensing agreement will prohibit them from making it look anything like TNG, so we're basically going to get the cool, optimistic Picard set in basement of the Nostromo.

The only part I disagree with is the cool optimistic Picard. I believe he said he was a very different Picard in this.

So I'd assume the darker more moody Picard, if anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1693 on: August 04, 2018, 11:00:39 PM »
Yeah, I'll pass.

Is it confirmed that this is yet another spin off timeline? I'm pretty sure they could make aesthetically different looking show, and still make it prime timeline.

And yeah, the fact that this is from the people who made Discovery is a cause for concern. But, I would wait for season 2 of DIS to see if these concern's are warranted. Season 2 looks like a step into the right direction Imo.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1694 on: August 05, 2018, 01:30:49 AM »
I'm on the fence.

I love Picard. Love him. But this is the same people that made Discovery. It's Alex Kurtzman behind the whole thing.

None of that, minus Stewart, is at all exciting or intriguing.

This. They're going to fuck this up to the point that we'll be wishing for the days of Nemesis again.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1695 on: August 05, 2018, 04:46:23 AM »
I will give it a shot only for picard.

+1.  Since I haven't seen a single second of Discovery, I have no basis for comparison other than the (mostly) constant shitting the DTF crew gives it - which I assume is warranted.  At least it isn't JJ behind this.

I'll remain cautiously and skeptically optimistic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1696 on: August 05, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »
Yeah, I'll pass.

The only part I disagree with is the cool optimistic Picard. I believe he said he was a very different Picard in this.

So I'd assume the darker more moody Picard, if anything.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. They're going to take cool, optimistic Picard and turn him into something he's very much not. My bet would be that in the intervening 20 years something dreadful happened to him and he's now the morally ambiguous anti-hero, in a Shakesperian style. Old Picard just doesn't fit into the modern world.

Is it confirmed that this is yet another spin off timeline? I'm pretty sure they could make aesthetically different looking show, and still make it prime timeline.
I don't know if STD is officially considered another timeline, but it is whether they cop to it or not. This show will have to be in the future of that world. Licensing would prevent them from doing the proper TNG timeline. That's why we have new Klingons, ships, uniforms, etc.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: August 15, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Have any of you listened to "The Greatest Gen" podcast? I've been listening to is while watching Season 2 Deep Space Nine.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1698 on: August 20, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
I haven't watched a second of Discovery - no interest at all. But I regret not knowing a little about it, because it seems the creative and production teams handling it are the ones that will handle the Picard series. I have heard that people are none-to-pleased with Discovery, so that makes me worry a bit.

Fingers crossed. Just like Paramount wants, I'll have to subscribe to watch this, and while I am tentatively in, they really need to make sure the quality of this Picard series lives up to the character. Because (and no offense to fans) ever since Next Gen ended, every series has been progressively worse, IMO (and I am a fan of DS9). So much so I haven't bothered with Discovery, and nothing I've read has made me remotely interested in that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1699 on: August 20, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »
I haven't watched a second of Discovery - no interest at all. But I regret not knowing a little about it, because it seems the creative and production teams handling it are the ones that will handle the Picard series. I have heard that people are none-to-pleased with Discovery, so that makes me worry a bit.

Fingers crossed. Just like Paramount wants, I'll have to subscribe to watch this, and while I am tentatively in, they really need to make sure the quality of this Picard series lives up to the character. Because (and no offense to fans) ever since Next Gen ended, every series has been progressively worse, IMO (and I am a fan of DS9). So much so I haven't bothered with Discovery, and nothing I've read has made me remotely interested in that.
Don't bet on it. The character you know and love est putain mort. At best you'll get something akin to the First Contact Ahab Picard, but I'm not even hopeful of that.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1700 on: August 20, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »

Well, I saw one episode. Hated it. From what I gather, people who had no real interest in ST before 2009, really really liked it. People who passively enjoyed Trek also seemed to like it. Big Trek fans, however, didn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1701 on: September 05, 2018, 01:21:04 PM »
https://deadline.com/2018/09/star-trek-the-next-generation-reunion-jean-luc-picard-patrick-stewart-marina-sirtis-levar-burton-cbs-all-access-1202457121/

Let's not read too much into this! After all this could just be a simple reunion dinner, for a bunch of old friends.

But what if?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: September 05, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
I am almost glad I am not an ongoing fan of current Star Trek at this point. All these different Trek universes, franchises, storylines, and behind-the-scenes drama sounds overwhelming and off-putting.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1703 on: September 05, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »
Seeing that pic makes me happy. My daughter and I are watching TNG together. This is her first time. We skipped seasons 1 and 2 (selfishly, I couldn't watch them in-whole again), but completed Season 3, and now have started Season 4 (watched "Family" last night). She loves it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1704 on: October 01, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »
I thought the whole thing was that CBS just didn't want people making money off of their IP? Nah, they just don't want people showing them up.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/364042/cbs-kills-star-trek-stage-9-fan-project

Also, I wasn't familiar with this Bridge Crew game, but now that I've seen pictures it makes now sense whatsoever. If it's set in the JJ universe, why does the Enterprise D look identical to the prime version? It should be made of glass and have a warp engine that dispenses cold (non-alcoholic) beer.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1705 on: October 01, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Can we just get Star Trek away from CBS? God damn.

Or was Paramount just as awful?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1706 on: October 01, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »
Can we just get Star Trek away from CBS? God damn.

Or was Paramount just as awful?
I have no idea how to distinguish between the two. They're so intertwined it's hard to figure out, which is a shame because it's also the reason why nothing makes sense anymore. Actually, that sounds like a pretty good episode of Star Trek. Shame there's nobody left to make it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

« Reply #1707 on: December 07, 2018, 06:17:14 AM »
I just saw Star Trek Discovery and I liked it more than I thought I would. I'd prefer if the plot was more about the war with some minefield hide and seek action and reconnaissance mission in Klingon territory instead of the parallel universe jumping shit, but I really liked the visual aspect and the dark tone of the show.

For reference: TNG>DS9>TOS>Voyager>Enterprise

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: December 07, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »
I haven't seen much of Discovery but I'm going to go with:

DS9>Voy>TNG>Enterprise>TOS

Online Adami

« Reply #1709 on: December 07, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1710 on: December 08, 2018, 02:11:19 AM »
I mean, I really like Voyager but better than TNG? :biggrin:

TNG>DS9>Voyager>TOS>Enterprise

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1711 on: December 11, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »

Voy>TNG

I thought you were one of their kind. Confused with Blob, I suppose.

It's kind of a tough call. At its best TNG was the better show, but overall I prefer VOY. A whole lot of TNG just plain sucked.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: December 25, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »
I'm nearing the end of watching DS9 and I'll be moving onto Voyager soon. I took my first step into reading the non-canon stuff. I just bought "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew Robinson, so far so good.

Has anyone read any of the ST books?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1713 on: December 26, 2018, 12:19:33 AM »
I'm nearing the end of watching DS9 and I'll be moving onto Voyager soon. I took my first step into reading the non-canon stuff. I just bought "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew Robinson, so far so good.

Has anyone read any of the ST books?
I've only read one of them. It was Kobyashi Maru, where the core TOS group are stranded in a shuttle craft and pass the time telling how they dealt with the no win scenario. Scotty took advantage of a theory he'd come up with that worked in simulations but not in practice, and while he didn't beat the scenario he set the record for most Klingons killed. Chekhov got all kill-crazy and self-destructed his ship taking a helluva lot of Klingons with him (as well as the freighter crew). Sulu decided they shouldn't be in the damn neutral zone to begin with and went on about his non-rescuing business.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1714 on: December 26, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
The only ST book I've read is Sorrows of Empire, which is a sequel to Mirror Mirror, showing Spock in the mirror universe from the moment prime universe Kirk leaves, and how he tries to reform the Terran Empire over the course of decades.
Super fanwanky as expected from non canon stuff, and somewhat dry, but it was an ok read.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.