Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 271034 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1610 on: February 13, 2018, 09:13:33 AM »
Surprised to see the love for 'Carbon Creek'.  Jolene Blalock is lovely to look at, but her limitations as an actress are really exposed in this episode, and it really hurts the story.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1611 on: February 13, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »
Really hated Doctor's Orders. Nearly as much as the VOY episode they ripped it off from. I just don't like episodes that revolve entirely around a single person.

And I wouldn't mind the need to keep jumping to action sequences, but the action sequences are just as bad about needing to put the ADD viewers into the middle of it. You can't even tell who's shooting at who anymore. Enterprise vs Reliant is an action sequence, yet it's paced in such a way that there's tension. You understand what both ships are doing. Once you get to JJ's movies you're just floating in space while shit flies around you so fast you can't comprehend. I always hated that phasers became blasters in his movies. It makes sense, though. Phasers are too slow to be chaotic and confusing, and that's what he relies upon. 

I actually like Doctor's Orders more than the Voyager episode it's ripping off. Probably the only case of that in Enterprise for me.
JJ's generic modern style can't even compare to TWOK. TWOK still holds up amazingly.

Surprised to see the love for 'Carbon Creek'.  Jolene Blalock is lovely to look at, but her limitations as an actress are really exposed in this episode, and it really hurts the story.

She's a crappy actress, but she mostly gets away just by being a Vulcan.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1612 on: February 13, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »
She's a crappy actress, but she mostly gets away just by being a Vulcan.
Yup. I had no problem with her because she's just fine at being Vulcan. She would have had a much harder time being Seven, essentially the same character, but I couldn't see Jeri Ryan playing a convincing Vulcan, either. In the end, ST actors are essentially just the characters they create. If you invent Spock then playing Spock is a very simple task. Quinto had it much harder. Avery Brooks and Michael Dorn were godawful actors, but they were great as the characters they created. Blalock was fine as T'whatever.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1613 on: February 13, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
Voyager improved a decent amount once they ditched the awful Kazon for S3,

Agreed, they're just hard to even look at characters.

People need to just get over Enterprise's theme song already. FFS it's just an intro, and it's not that bad.

Yes it is  :lol I find it aggravates me and I have to look for the remote to fast forward quickly

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1614 on: February 13, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
Valentines for Star Trek nerds

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1615 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
Yup. Truly terrible. It cracked me up when Seven mentioned in passing that the Borg considered them unworthy of assimilation. They were a net negative. Hell, even the Neelixes of the galaxy were useful to the Borg. And interestingly, the original concept was pretty decent. Another example of Voyager ditching a good premise early on rather than playing it out. They were intended to be the Crips, Bloods, and half a dozen other gangs, competing for everything. Instead they just turned into really lame weekly bad guys.

People need to just get over Enterprise's theme song already. FFS it's just an intro, and it's not that bad.

Yes it is  :lol I find it aggravates me and I have to look for the remote to fast forward quickly
I really think that with a proper theme song they might have gotten an extra season or two. It started the show off on a bad foot and continued to bring it down.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1616 on: February 14, 2018, 02:08:32 AM »
Yup. Truly terrible. It cracked me up when Seven mentioned in passing that the Borg considered them unworthy of assimilation. They were a net negative. Hell, even the Neelixes of the galaxy were useful to the Borg. And interestingly, the original concept was pretty decent. Another example of Voyager ditching a good premise early on rather than playing it out. They were intended to be the Crips, Bloods, and half a dozen other gangs, competing for everything. Instead they just turned into really lame weekly bad guys.

I really think that with a proper theme song they might have gotten an extra season or two. It started the show off on a bad foot and continued to bring it down.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a worst theme tune/song. 

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1617 on: February 14, 2018, 05:03:37 PM »

This just reminded me to cancel CBS all access. there is nothing else good on that app

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1618 on: February 14, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »
Valentines for Star Trek nerds

YES!  :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1619 on: February 28, 2018, 10:55:33 PM »
I recently obtained CBS all access so we could watch Survivor (kiddos love it) so I started Discovery tonight. Watched the first three episodes. I like it. Seems interesting enough. I知 sure I値l keep going
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1620 on: March 01, 2018, 03:19:56 AM »
I recently obtained CBS all access so we could watch Survivor (kiddos love it) so I started Discovery tonight. Watched the first three episodes. I like it. Seems interesting enough. I知 sure I値l keep going

It gets better, reaches a decent level - however the final couple of episodes do feel either rushed or tacked on.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: March 01, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »

It gets better, reaches a decent level - however the final couple of episodes do feel either rushed or tacked on.

I'm particularly impressed with the production and visuals of the show. REALLY well done.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »

I'm particularly impressed with the production and visuals of the show. REALLY well done.

If only the script and characters matched up to it. :lol

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1623 on: March 01, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »
How come her name is Michael?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: March 01, 2018, 10:38:27 PM »
I think I read that Bryan Fuller has a thing about giving female characters male names for some pointless reason. There's nothing more to it than that.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1625 on: March 02, 2018, 01:40:39 AM »
I did I full re watch of The Next Gen not that long ago (turned up on Netflix UK) and yet yesterday evening channel flicking I found an episode I have absolutely no memory off at all.   "Identity Crisis" wasn't very good to be honest - a Geordi heavy episode with a typical 'fun with DNA' story line, did amuse my that Crusher manages to turn Geordi back from his mutation - imagine a Na'vi from Avatar that had had the shite beaten out of it then set on fire - and also had the cloaking device from Predator.   But depict managing to reverse this, she still can't sort out his blindness.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: March 02, 2018, 01:50:23 AM »
I don't think there's any problem with not being able to reverse his blindness in the context of the episode, although by that time period they should definitely have been able to fix his blindness in the first place. We're not that far off duplicating his visor even now.

I'm not sure if I remember the ep or whether I'm getting confused with another one. I'm long overdue for a TNG rewatch. Only seen most of them once, and it was the first Trek series I saw.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1627 on: March 02, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »

I'm not sure if I remember the ep or whether I'm getting confused with another one.

There is nothing much memorable about the episode, aside from Geordi's transformation - which I'm really surprised I have no memory off.   It contains a lot of typical Star Trek tropes....(1) Starfleet officers who have gone missing, (2) an old close friend we've never heard of before, or see again (3) a medical mystery, (4) an alien parasite, (5) a holodeck investigation, and (6) Fun With DNA.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: March 02, 2018, 02:17:52 AM »
I only had a quick skim through the memory-alpha article. It looked like an episode I remember based on the preview screenshot, but not so much from the summary. If it's the episode I think, I remember liking the holodeck investigating quite a bit, but I don't recall the other elements at all. So either it wasn't overall memorable, or I'm remembering a different episode.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1629 on: March 02, 2018, 05:38:13 AM »
I only had a quick skim through the memory-alpha article. It looked like an episode I remember based on the preview screenshot, but not so much from the summary. If it's the episode I think, I remember liking the holodeck investigating quite a bit, but I don't recall the other elements at all. So either it wasn't overall memorable, or I'm remembering a different episode.

The holosuit investigating was the high point, somewhat creepy in nature (creepy for ST anyway).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: March 02, 2018, 06:33:59 AM »

If only the script and characters matched up to it. :lol

Three more episodes last night. I知 actually enjoying it more than I thought I would. It痴 not bad at all IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: March 02, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
If you think it's even half palatable at this point, you're probably going to think it's the greatest thing ever by the end. :dunno:
I'm hoping the second season just ditches this crew/era altogether and goes anthology, because I dread the desperate revisionist fanservice they've set up for S2.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: March 09, 2018, 07:25:48 AM »
you're probably going to think it's the greatest thing ever by the end.

I've finished the first season, and I don't think it was 'the greatest thing ever' but at the same time....I liked what I saw. You could certainly examine it with a fine tooth comb and start to pick it apart if you want to, but for me...I enjoyed it and am looking forward to see how they move it forward.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: March 09, 2018, 07:55:08 AM »
I did not require a fine tooth comb to pick it apart, only the knowledge of having actually seen Star Trek pre-2009 JJ Abrams. :P

I'm actually dreading they continue this storyline, with their desperate attempt at fan service with the Enterprise showing up. Screwing up canon for their new little garbage ship is one thing, but leave the Enterprise out of this. I don't want to see them mess around with the Enterprise interior, uniforms, characters, history etc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: March 09, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
I did not require a fine tooth comb to pick it apart, only the knowledge of having actually seen Star Trek pre-2009 JJ Abrams. :P

I'm actually dreading they continue this storyline, with their desperate attempt at fan service with the Enterprise showing up. Screwing up canon for their new little garbage ship is one thing, but leave the Enterprise out of this. I don't want to see them mess around with the Enterprise interior, uniforms, characters, history etc.

I agree the Enterprise showing up there at the end was like WTF? Completely no reason for that other than to be able to say 'It's the Enterprise'

Even pre Abrams I had only watched TNG and 'Enterprise'.....and liked both series. I'll admit I'm not an 'all in' Star Trek fan who knows every cannon detail.....more of a science fiction fan that just likes movies/series about space exploration.

Looking back through the thread I noticed there was a comment that this Star Trek experience on CBS may be an anthology series? Has that been confirmed or not, or will it be a continuation of Discovery?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: March 09, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
I haven't heard anything about the anthology series concept since Discovery was officially announced and revealed, so I'm not sure if it amounts to anything more than a rumour.

The show is named after the ship, so I would assume it will be a continuation though. Maybe the Enterprise showing up was a setup for what they have in mind for S2, or maybe it was just some throwaway fanservice to end the season, tie in to TOS, and to bring back subscribers for next season. With any luck, they'll just skip over that little nugget and start something new. They mostly have a blank slate after wrapping everything up so quickly at the end there.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1636 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
Star Trek Discovery: The Next Generation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1637 on: March 09, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
Early production and writing was such a trainwreck that nobody thought it would fly. If it crashed and burned as everyone was expecting their fallback was to make it an anthology and reboot the thing next season. I believe they already had Nicholas Meyer writing next season's installment. Turns out that people seem to like it, so there's no reason why they have to reboot it, but they might choose to anyway.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1638 on: March 12, 2018, 03:32:49 AM »
Early production and writing was such a trainwreck that nobody thought it would fly. If it crashed and burned as everyone was expecting their fallback was to make it an anthology and reboot the thing next season. I believe they already had Nicholas Meyer writing next season's installment. Turns out that people seem to like it, so there's no reason why they have to reboot it, but they might choose to anyway.

Star Trek Discovery has been better received than TNG was after one series, that's for sure!  If the Internet was around in '87 there is no way TNG would have survived the backlash - probably cancelled after 8 episodes or so (Justice is episode 8, so yeah...).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: March 12, 2018, 04:47:00 AM »
TNG had the excuse of a writer's strike at least. Discovery's has no excuse except that they clearly didn't give a shit.
Also TNG was first run syndication, so was probably in about the same danger as Discovery of being canceled. It would be interesting to how Discovery would have fared if it was on TV (past the pilot, I mean)....

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1640 on: March 12, 2018, 05:34:53 AM »
TNG had the excuse of a writer's strike at least. Discovery's has no excuse except that they clearly didn't give a shit.

That was only the second series wasn't it?  (hence the shorter episode run and the awful 'shades of grey'!).

Alot of the problems with TNG first two series were Gene Roddenbury's boring vision for the show and Maurice Hurley for sticking with it.

Discovery's has no excuse except that they clearly didn't give a shit.

The whole Fuller quitting clearly influenced the direction of the show.  I think the final 2 (underwhelming) episodes were done they way they were to start series 2 with a clean slate, away from Fuller's Klingon war story.

Surprisingly the stuff we know that was directly influenced by Fuller, was in my opinion the weaker material of the show.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:51:13 AM by soupytwist »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: March 12, 2018, 06:29:08 AM »

That was only the second series wasn't it?  (hence the shorter episode run and the awful 'shades of grey'!).

Alot of the problems with TNG first two series were Gene Roddenbury's boring vision for the show and Maurice Hurley for sticking with it.

Pretty sure it was also first season, hence why they ended up having to use all of the awful Wesley scripts, instead of just choosing one of them. :lol

I can't recall what stuff was Fuller's, but I do remembering finding out that some of the iffier ideas were actually his. Literally nothing about the start of that show was redeemable, so any influence he had can't have been good.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1642 on: March 12, 2018, 07:18:00 AM »

Pretty sure it was also first season, hence why they ended up having to use all of the awful Wesley scripts, instead of just choosing one of them. :lol

Wesley is clearly Gene Roddenbury's ego projecting himself into the show.  It's no coincidence Wesley is his middle name afterall!

The Klingon War and their appearance/design - was very much Fuller's vision.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:49:41 AM by soupytwist »

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1643 on: March 12, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »
Why was shades of grey bad? I don't remember? TNG was definitely weak in its infancy but look how awesome it became! Discovery got better quickly but seemed like the end was a finale for an experiment. Is Lorca really dead? He was great for the show.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: March 12, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
Winding down TNG season 5 and I'm getting kind of bummed that my run through TNG is coming to close altogether. I forgot how great the show shines.