Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 276499 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #630 on: January 18, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
Oh god they're dragging Sarek into this. Of course they are.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #631 on: January 18, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
And apparently it's been delayed again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #632 on: January 18, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
And apparently it's been delayed again.

Best news I've heard, yet. The more I read or see posted about this show, the more I pray for it's quick demise. It has every sign of failure.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #633 on: January 18, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
He has a young Mark Lenard kinda thing goin' on.

Agreed.  This could work.

Online Adami

« Reply #634 on: January 18, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »
I'm not worried about making sure the guy looks like a Vulcan (or even a specific Vulcan). I want them to get the character right.

Sylar looked damn eerily similar to Nimoy but, and I know I'm in a minority here, I think they totally missed the mark on the characterization of Spock.

They also completely messed up the Vulcans in Enterprise.

So looking a little like the guy is cool, but he's a damn legendary character. If they don't nail it, it will be noticed more so than new characters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #635 on: January 18, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
The way the character is played is definitely more important than just looking like the guy who used to play him.  But it doesn't hurt.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #636 on: January 19, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
Everybody has their own ideas about what Star Trek was about, but I sure hope they dare to be positive in DSC. That for me may be the single biggest reason for me to keep putting on the show (and movies) repeatedly, because despite all the portrayed conflict, there was a sense of optimism that pervaded it. This might betray my political leanings, but I sure could use a reminder in the next few years that humanity in the long term can rise above its base instincts.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #637 on: January 19, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
Everybody has their own ideas about what Star Trek was about, but I sure hope they dare to be positive in DSC. That for me may be the single biggest reason for me to keep putting on the show (and movies) repeatedly, because despite all the portrayed conflict, there was a sense of optimism that pervaded it. This might betray my political leanings, but I sure could use a reminder in the next few years that humanity in the long term can rise above its base instincts.

Given that it's pre-TOS, and we know what comes after, I sure hope they lean in that direction. Star Trek was never about predicting our future, it was about envisioning an idealistic future to aspire to.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
AXANAR SETTLED
« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/cbs-paramount-settle-lawsuit-star-trek-fan-film-966433?utm_source=twitter

It's over then. Axanar will not get made and Alec Peters will have to abide by the new fan film rules in the future.

Maybe someone with more time / legal knowledge can pick out some bullet points for me.

--- But i'm hoping that he is at least broke from the legal fees / has to repay everyone who donated.

Wonder who he'll try to rip off next...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2017, 04:51:25 PM »
They were never going to bankrupt him. At best they'd take the money he made from crowd-sourcing the deal, but that's about it. The fact is, they were suing him to stop a film he hadn't made yet. Getting him for Prelude would have been a tough sell because C/P had consistently chosen to ignore fan productions before. The 100 million thing never would have happened, and would have been a mockery of the system to even attempt it. It'd be like suing the author of a derivative novel 127 times because that's how many times he used the word "and." Also, he's still going to make Axanar, but claims he'll find a way to do it within the idiotic framework. Sounds like Trump-speak to me, but we'll see. That will get him off the hook with the people who funded it. All he needs to do is crank out some thing to fulfill his obligation. And I'm not sure why you'd care about them anyway. They were paying him to "shit all over Star Trek," weren't they?

Interestingly, most of the powers that be have been pretty up front about the reason for the lawsuit. His project was too professional looking. If it had looked like shit nobody would care. It looked really good and he got sued, coming as a surprise to everybody. I saw an interview with a VP of property rights the other day making that very remark.

Both you and Blob have made your minds up, so there's really no point discussing Peters, Axanar and the film. Personally, I'm just sorry we won't get to see the thing. After watching the latest Continues episode a couple of nights ago, arguably the very best of the fan-flicks, I've given up on them. While I salute their intentions and their affinity for the show, the truth is they're just not very good. This was one I really think I would have liked. And honestly, anybody who likes this sort of thing and doesn't regret that we won't see Axanar is just being spiteful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: January 20, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
....Blob and I aren't the only ones who can't be swayed it seems.

Hey if JJ had made the best Star Trek movie of all time but you found out he stole $1m from Star Trek fans bank accounts to fund his lifestyle - that would be ok apparently.

My favourite argument is " ::) Axanar is better than the last 3 Star Trek movies ergo he should have every right to raise $1m and spend most of it on himself..."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #641 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
....Blob and I aren't the only ones who can't be swayed it seems.

Hey if JJ had made the best Star Trek movie of all time but you found out he stole $1m from Star Trek fans bank accounts to fund his lifestyle - that would be ok apparently.

My favourite argument is " ::) Axanar is better than the last 3 Star Trek movies ergo he should have every right to raise $1m and spend most of it on himself..."
Nah, if I find out he's actually up to no good I'll change my stance. I'm just not swayed by hyperbole and false analogies. Moreover, I've never maintained he was a great guy or that y'all should like him. I don't even think he was in the right insofar as CBS's IP goes.  I've only said that he hadn't done anything that others hadn't or that was against the known wishes of CBS. He just did one well enough to raise an alarm. As per CBS's own executives, if it wasn't him it would have been the next guy, as there was an arms race to produce better and better productions. https://youtu.be/KxOkhC8-u3s?t=305 I'm not so keen to defend his actions as right, but rather not worthy of the contempt that BVD has for him, while holding CBS completely blameless.

And your JJ argument makes no sense whatsoever. Peters asked for money to make a movie. People gave it to him. If he starves to death in the process then he's not fulfilling his obligation, and I doubt the people crowd-funding it expected him to live under a bridge somewhere. Again, if his business model was unsound, then the IRS poses far more of a threat to him than CBS lawyers.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: January 20, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »
Most of the money had already gone to lining Alec Peters' pockets, so Axanar would have been average at best, if it ever got finished at all. Now he has a scapegoat for his failure to deliver, and a new reason to milk more money out of his followers. And so the cycle continues.
Things must have been really dire for Alec Peters to finally settle. He was going to get his ass rightfully reamed no matter what, and had ample opportunity to settle before now, so he must have realized he wasn't getting out of it this time. I would have rather it gone to court so he could get what he deserved though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:09:48 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #643 on: January 20, 2017, 11:49:42 PM »
Did he run over your pet dingo or something? Over the years I've found you to be a damned reasonable bloke, but you really seem to react irrationally when he comes up.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: January 21, 2017, 01:04:34 AM »
It's not irrational, I just have a more complete picture than most others. I was well aware of this guy for many years before Axanar, and have been following this project from the start and seen every one of his indiscretions along the way, and follow the fan film community in general. It didn't really surprise anyone that Axanar was hit with this lawsuit.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:18:43 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: January 21, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »
It said in the actual case notes that he spend tens of thousands on himself and his missus.

I'm sure people wouldn't have minded if he spent $50 to fill his car on the way to the studio. But $10,000 here, $10,000 there...

Different story.

" what ? we raised $1m and this guy just spent most of it on himself to eat out and buy clothes for his missus ? I want my money back

What's that you say ? this has nothing to do with the Kelvin timeline ? Oh that's fine then ! have ALL my money !"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: January 31, 2017, 09:28:12 PM »
So fuckin disappointed with everything I heard about this show so far.
And I'm not even an old enough fan to merit cynicism about a new project but damn everything about this is such a turn off.
I still hope it would be successful so Star Trek stays alive somehow and maybe the next incarnation would work for me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #647 on: January 31, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
I think my biggest gripe is actually how it's being broadcast. CBS extras or whatever? That's horrible. You don't use Star Trek to attempt to launch an online streaming services when Netflix and Hulu already exist.

Put this show on Netflix, if you want to put it on a streaming service, you might actually get people watching it. I know I'm definitely not signing up for an extra streaming services just to watch this show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: January 31, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »
I'm not either, they'll realize it won't work right away, with all the pirating.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: January 31, 2017, 09:43:11 PM »
I think my biggest gripe is actually how it's being broadcast. CBS extras or whatever? That's horrible. You don't use Star Trek to attempt to launch an online streaming services when Netflix and Hulu already exist.

Put this show on Netflix, if you want to put it on a streaming service, you might actually get people watching it. I know I'm definitely not signing up for an extra streaming services just to watch this show.

The whole point is to help bring people to their own streaming service, but it will be on Netflix in the rest of the world though. I definitely wouldn't sign up to a new streaming service for one show, so I'll acquire it my usual way.

What little they've shown of the show in the latest trailer looks ok. The new ship design (I don't know which of the ships it is) looks very NX-01 / Franklin inspired. The uniforms look alright from what they showed. The layout for the bridge looked simple and classic. There's still plenty of room to fuck this up, but at least the trailer didn't concern me further.

Online Adami

« Reply #650 on: January 31, 2017, 09:48:52 PM »
To be fair, aesthetics is not something I worry about with modern ST. It's also not something that is important to ST.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:12 PM »
That's true, although being a prequel, I do still value continuity. But yes, even if they get all of that right, it's the stories that will matter.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »
Other than the horrific lead, my biggest problem with it is the fact that it's a prequel. A decade before TOS, I'd expect everything about the show to look as or even more primitive than it did on TOS, this show looks like everything will look even more advanced than it did on TNG! This is such a real mind fuck for me, visually I'll never be able to get into it.
I didn't know about the CBS streaming service, if I got a job by the time this rolls out I might get it, I've been looking for an excuse to get it for an easy access to Colbert episodes.

Online Adami

« Reply #653 on: January 31, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
For all of its flaws, I think Enterprise did a good job of keeping the technology less complex than TOS but still very interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: January 31, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »
Enterprise pushed too far with technology in many ways, and tried to get around other restrictions on semantics, but in terms of aesthetics, I think they did a good job of giving it closer ties to the present day than to TOS. I think it will be difficult fitting another show into that gap though, because the order in which they were made gives it a strange transition.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: January 31, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »
Difficult, silly and most of all; needless. It's Star Trek dumbasses; go further in the future and show us more amazing things! For shits sake.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: January 31, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
They're setting themselves up to have the same issues that held back Enterprise and made it the least popular series. Setting it ~15 years post-Voyager/Nemesis would have been perfect. Free from running into continuity issues, they can make it as futuristic as they want without contradicting other series, and best of all they could throw in Patrick fucking Stewart as a guest star in the first episode. :metal

Seriously, if they did that, I'd shit myself with glee.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: February 01, 2017, 03:18:16 AM »
+15 Years since Nemesis = any actor still living can be in it.

15 years before Kirk = nobody from any star trek ever can be in it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: February 01, 2017, 03:21:04 AM »
And we end up with recast characters, like Sarek.

Not that Mark Lenard could have reprised that role in any case. :(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: February 01, 2017, 03:27:43 AM »
I hope that each season will be a different time period.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: February 01, 2017, 03:30:16 AM »
I'd rather they stuck to one. A scifi show like Trek needs time to establish characters and situations, so one season would just feel too insubstantial and underdeveloped. I want something that builds up over time. Then again, I think the entire premise being boxed in by canon will hurt it from the start, so I don't see as much potential in that regard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: February 01, 2017, 03:49:49 AM »
Unless they do another alt timeline but the fans will hate that as well. . .

I'm truly baffled as to why they set it so early.

AT LEAST they could set it in deep deep deep space - billions of light years from The Federation like Voyager.

But they'll probably set it in on Earth ::)

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #662 on: February 01, 2017, 04:09:06 AM »
By setting this new show so close to the TOS timeline, they are severely limiting themselves creatively. I thought that they had learned the lessons from Enterprise, and not do another prequel. I'm still intrigued to see what happens though.

Unless they do another alt timeline but the fans will hate that as well. . .

I'm truly baffled as to why they set it so early.

AT LEAST they could set it in deep deep deep space - billions of light years from The Federation like Voyager.

But they'll probably set it in on Earth ::)

I think they could take notes and see, what the new Mass Effect game is doing. Do a Trek show that is set in another galaxy. They could wipe the board clean, and start over. New alien races, new conflicts and brand new locations!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: February 01, 2017, 04:11:57 AM »
Set 15 years post Nemesis they'd have zero continuity issues.

Setting it between Enterprise and TOS gives them dozens upon dozens.

They'll probably try and shove in a lot of *wink-wink* moments.

Like they'll off hand mention they passed a drifting DY-100 ship a few days ago and to make a note of it... Yadda yadda.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #664 on: February 01, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
Setting it ~15 years post-Voyager/Nemesis would have been perfect. Free from running into continuity issues, they can make it as futuristic as they want without contradicting other series, and best of all they could throw in Patrick fucking Stewart as a guest star in the first episode. :metal

Seriously, if they did that, I'd shit myself with glee.
If they did that, I WOULD sign up for a new service just for this show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.