Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 276408 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4830 on: January 25, 2024, 03:02:40 PM »
I'll take your word for it.  I never liked the concept for Enterprise, so I never watched it.

That's cool. Definitely not for everyone and definitely the least good of the five main Treks. But I still enjoyed it even if few others did.

I also enjoyed it.  In particular, I liked that the Enterprise was generally far from the most powerful ship when they came across other species.  They didn't have photon torpedoes or real shields at the beginning, and they had to go around setting up subspace beacons to communicate with a distant Earth.  The ship was often outclassed by any adversaries, so they had to be a little more diplomatic and/or sneaky to survive.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4831 on: February 01, 2024, 10:19:28 AM »
Indeed, that was my favourite part of Enterprise and how that played out into the power dynamics. It's been a while but at some point, didn't they have to worry about the fuel too?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4832 on: March 18, 2024, 09:49:43 AM »
Shatner documentary " You Can Call Me Bill" premiering this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVutwU9Kns

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4833 on: March 18, 2024, 10:58:35 AM »

Awesome! Old Bill is an icon for sure.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4834 on: March 18, 2024, 01:32:27 PM »

I'm in!

Shatner has been made fun of for his method acting but people don't understand how actors, back in the day, actually performed. Has anyone watched The Devils Rain? Classic cheese but one of my favorites!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4835 on: March 18, 2024, 03:07:28 PM »

I'm in!

Shatner has been made fun of for his method acting but people don't understand how actors, back in the day, actually performed. Has anyone watched The Devils Rain? Classic cheese but one of my favorites!
Method acting? From the way I see it he's about the exact opposite of a method actor. I'm not knocking on the guy, I'm a big fan, but his style is very much unique.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4836 on: March 19, 2024, 08:00:40 AM »

I'm in!

Method acting? From the way I see it he's about the exact opposite of a method actor. I'm not knocking on the guy, I'm a big fan, but his style is very much unique.

Well, I think he's the very embodiment of method acting as he really immersed himself into expressive acting which is what method acting is.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4837 on: March 19, 2024, 08:05:41 AM »

I'm in!

Well, I think he's the very embodiment of method acting as he really immersed himself into expressive acting which is what method acting is.

I'd say he's a hammy actor (a very fun one to watch) and nothing like method.   Shatner acts like Shatner regardless of the role, he doesn't exactly adapt to embody the role he's playing - he's not Daniel Day Lewis for example!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:11:14 AM by soupytwist »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4838 on: March 19, 2024, 08:12:26 AM »
Method acting is silly.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4839 on: March 19, 2024, 08:31:52 AM »
Shatner is the opposite of method acting.

Instead of asking "How can I become this character?" he asks "How can this character become me?"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4840 on: March 19, 2024, 09:00:07 AM »
Shatner is many things, but "method actor" is not one of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4841 on: March 19, 2024, 09:48:38 AM »

Instead of asking "How can I become this character?" he asks "How can this character become me?"
Disagree.

Method acting, known as the Method, is a range of rehearsal techniques, as formulated by a number of different theatre practitioners, that seeks to encourage sincere and expressive performances through identifying with, understanding, and experiencing a character's inner motivation and emotions.

He does have a live theater background as actors from his era commonly had. Live theater emphasis what could be called "over-acting" but it's necessary in a live performance which he had experience in.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4842 on: March 19, 2024, 10:01:09 AM »

Disagree.

Method acting, known as the Method, is a range of rehearsal techniques, as formulated by a number of different theatre practitioners, that seeks to encourage sincere and expressive performances through identifying with, understanding, and experiencing a character's inner motivation and emotions.

He does have a live theater background as actors from his era commonly had. Live theater emphasis what could be called "over-acting" but it's necessary in a live performance which he had experience in.
Yeah, but that doesn't have anything to do with Method acting.

Daniel Day Lewis didn't PLAY Abraham Lincoln, he WAS Abraham Lincoln, for the entirety of that shoot, on and off set, 24/7.  William Shatner is not Captain Kirk, he just plays William Shatner playing Captain Kirk.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4843 on: March 19, 2024, 10:39:18 AM »

Disagree.

Yeah, but that doesn't have anything to do with Method acting.

Daniel Day Lewis didn't PLAY Abraham Lincoln, he WAS Abraham Lincoln, for the entirety of that shoot, on and off set, 24/7.  William Shatner is not Captain Kirk, he just plays William Shatner playing Captain Kirk.

William Shatner is not Captain Kirk, he just plays William Shatner playing Captain Kirk...playing TJ Hooker.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4844 on: March 19, 2024, 11:07:47 AM »

Disagree.

It's the live theater experience that defined the way he played Captain Kirk. He's playing him as if it's a stage production. While some stage actors do dig into method acting, it's a very different thing than the traditional hammy, loud approach. The DDL as Lincoln thing is a good analogy, and at no point does DDL ever think "how should I do this." He just does it because he is Lincoln. Shatner, by his own admission, was always looking at how best to portray Kirk in any given scene, which is exactly the opposite of the method. Owing in part to the fact that they were doing something kind of new on TV, and nobody was entirely sure how it should be presented. He never was Kirk.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4845 on: March 20, 2024, 10:31:03 AM »

Disagree.

It's the live theater experience that defined the way he played Captain Kirk. He's playing him as if it's a stage production. While some stage actors do dig into method acting, it's a very different thing than the traditional hammy, loud approach. The DDL as Lincoln thing is a good analogy, and at no point does DDL ever think "how should I do this." He just does it because he is Lincoln. Shatner, by his own admission, was always looking at how best to portray Kirk in any given scene, which is exactly the opposite of the method. Owing in part to the fact that they were doing something kind of new on TV, and nobody was entirely sure how it should be presented. He never was Kirk.

Well I can't agree with you on this. Lincoln the movie,  sucked. We couldn't make more than 40 minutes before we bailed. BUT, it's still fun to watch  Shatner in his parts and I celebrate him and will see the movie which is no where close to where I live. :(

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4846 on: March 20, 2024, 10:41:07 AM »

Disagree.

Well I can't agree with you on this. Lincoln the movie,  sucked. We couldn't make more than 40 minutes before we bailed. BUT, it's still fun to watch  Shatner in his parts and I celebrate him and will see the movie which is no where close to where I live. :(
It is still fun to watch Shatner in his parts. I agree. I said in my first post I wasn't bagging on him as I was a big fan. I (and others) are simply saying that his approach is pretty much the polar opposite of method acting. That's not a knock against him.

I wasn't a huge fan of Lincoln, either, but DDL's performance was really extraordinary, as his usually are. The man becomes the character he portrays. Shatner, like pretty much all lead ST actors created the character around himself.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4847 on: March 20, 2024, 10:53:45 AM »
Well I can't agree with you on this. Lincoln the movie,  sucked. We couldn't make more than 40 minutes before we bailed.
What does that have anything to do with it?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4848 on: March 20, 2024, 07:59:07 PM »

ST writer/director Nicholas Meyer has said the difference between an actor and a movie star is that an actor pretends they are someone else, while a movie star pretends someone else is them. That's oversimplifying it a lot, but I get where he was going as it applied to his working with Shatner. He has said that Shatner approached the role as a movie star - he is Captain of a starship after all - and would project as such. On ST2 Meyer would just do several takes of a scene till, as he described it, Shatner would get bored, and just play the character more naturally, which would ultimately result in a better performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuhwk0a1smg
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4849 on: March 23, 2024, 11:15:12 AM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #4850 on: March 24, 2024, 10:27:57 AM »
So recently rewatched season 3 of Picard.

Since I wasn’t trying to figure out what was going on this time, I enjoyed it a bit more. I still think the overall plot is really dumb. But the character moments are amazing.

Also did anyone else realize that Jack wasn’t really mini Picard but was essentially being Kirk? They kept talking about how Jack is so much like Jean Luc but other than the accent, it never really seemed that way. But he was a dead ringer for a mini British Kirk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4851 on: March 24, 2024, 01:15:40 PM »

Also did anyone else realize that Jack wasn’t really mini Picard but was essentially being Kirk? They kept talking about how Jack is so much like Jean Luc but other than the accent, it never really seemed that way. But he was a dead ringer for a mini British Kirk.

Oh yeah, 100%. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4852 on: April 06, 2024, 09:56:18 AM »
Watched the first two episodes of the final season of 'Discovery'    I will say this, they weren't all that bad......for that show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4853 on: April 06, 2024, 10:24:31 AM »
I watched the first one and could hardly stomach it, will not bother with the rest.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4854 on: April 06, 2024, 11:14:08 AM »
I've watched the first four seasons of Discovery, and since they've announced that this will be the final season, I'll probably check out this season as well.  Hopefully it goes out on a high note.

I liked the original premise (modern live-action Trek with a "lower decks" crew member as the focus) which they abandoned in favor of Star Trek: Michael Burnham is Fucking Amazing at Everything.  But some of the concepts have been interesting and there's just enough Star Trek in it to keep me interested, even as the high percentage of garbage along the way threatens to make me stop watching.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4855 on: April 06, 2024, 11:24:39 AM »
It’s had its moments and even one mostly good season.

I have low expectations for this, but it’s Trek, so I’ll go in open minded and hope for something of a worthy farewell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4856 on: April 06, 2024, 11:31:45 AM »
in favor of Star Trek: Michael Burnham is Fucking Amazing at Everything. 

This is THE major issue with the show. It's brutal.....like....there's nothing she can't do or solve. It's sad when her character is speaking that all you want to do is make her be quiet.

But, as Adami said.....the show has had some good moments.....and for whatever reason I'm still watching so who's the idiot here???.....but, I think the show as an entirety was a HUGE swing and miss.

I've watched the first four seasons of Discovery

Same, and it's the only reason I'm going to see it out until the end.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4857 on: April 06, 2024, 03:08:28 PM »
Season 5 episode 1 (and definitely not unique to this episode) is a shallow, silly Star Wars show. And not a very good one at that.

The chase scene on Arrakis or whatever was filmed like a Michael Bay Transformers scene. Just so over the top and the characters are so calm that the juxtaposition both eliminates any sense of adventure of energy and also eliminates any reason to care what is happening.

And of course more references to other Trek. I hope one day Star Trek stops being ABOUT Star Trek and can just BE Star Trek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4858 on: April 06, 2024, 03:39:21 PM »
The chase scene on Arrakis or whatever was filmed like a Michael Bay Transformers scene. Just so over the top and the characters are so calm that the juxtaposition both eliminates any sense of adventure of energy and also eliminates any reason to care what is happening.

That sequence was pretty comical. Starting with the convenience of having the needed amount of sand bikes available and just parked right next to each other ready to go....to Michael spotting the random father and son who were stranded and getting to them in the nick of time to get them beamed out on the fly.....just all soo bad.

When I said the two episodes weren't bad.....it's important to note how I finished that sentence....."for that show"   When comparing to a 'normal' show Discovery still leads the league in ridiculousness...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4859 on: April 09, 2024, 11:22:48 AM »
Obviously it was my love for Dream Theater that brought me to these boards, but their last 3 albums have done nothing for me to be honest.  Its really been this Star Trek thread that kept me coming back, but watching those first two episodes of Discovery ( after forcing my way though Season 4) I just feel completely numb towards it, I think my time here is done.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4860 on: April 09, 2024, 11:29:07 AM »
Obviously it was my love for Dream Theater that brought me to these boards, but their last 3 albums have done nothing for me to be honest.  Its really been this Star Trek thread that kept me coming back, but watching those first two episodes of Discovery ( after forcing my way though Season 4) I just feel completely numb towards it, I think my time here is done.

THEN WHO WILL I DISAGREE WITH?!?! (besides Stads, but he doesn't post here)

I think numb is a great word. I didn't despise these two episodes, but I felt mostly nothing for them. It was just so empty and shallow with their thumbs firmly up TNGs nostalgia butt. I'm finishing it out solely out of a sense of completing Star Trek things.

It's sad since I really like Doug Jones and I've really come around on Anthony Rapp and Wilson Cruz. But this is just a pointless show.

Curious what other TNG references they will sneak in the rest of the season.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4861 on: April 10, 2024, 12:51:12 AM »
You called?

But I'm not watching Disco S5. No interest at all. I can't see what it's going to give me but more let-down. Hope you guys that are tuning in get something out of it.

Looking forward to SNW season 3 and LD season 5. Other than that, no obvious signs that anything great is showing up on the long range franchise sensors...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4862 on: April 11, 2024, 05:39:00 PM »
So now there's another season? I thought they shut it down... This ought to be good  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4863 on: April 12, 2024, 01:00:19 PM »
I have no idea if this has come up in the thread, but I discovered just literally last night on YouTube the series Star Trek Continues featuring all the characters from the original series with different actors. Fan-made non-profit. Amazing quality. First one I watched was a follow-up to the Mirror Mirror episode. Has an 8.1 rating on IMDB. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4864 on: April 12, 2024, 02:17:54 PM »
Per Variety, Season 5 of Lower Decks will be the last, and Strange New Worlds has been renewed for Season 4 (even though I think Season 3 is still filming).