Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275561 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4585 on: June 04, 2023, 05:55:29 PM »
Your take on 6 Adami?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4586 on: June 04, 2023, 06:03:45 PM »
Your take on 6 Adami?

Love it. Fantastic movie.

I like more of the movies than is generally agreed upon. I mostly enjoy TMP even though it's obviously the weakest of the bunch. I love 2, 4, and 6 (just sticking to TOS movies) and really enjoys 3 and mostly enjoy 5. First contact is great, though I wish it weren't seen as the blue print for how to handle all future Trek. It was good for what it was, but didn't need to expand in tone beyond that movie. I liked Generations for the most part. I liked Insurrection and really couldn't get into Nemesis. And I didn't like any of the JJ movies, even the first one, though it wasn't awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4587 on: June 04, 2023, 06:08:25 PM »
I always disliked #1.  Like you said, 2, 4 & 6 are excellent. 5 is 2nd to last for the original crew.  3 is excellent.

Generations is a stepping stone for me. It's likable.

TNG movies go by order for me. 

The Abrams series I like. 1,3,2 for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4588 on: June 04, 2023, 06:21:35 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4589 on: June 04, 2023, 06:59:41 PM »
As I’ve gotten older, I’m always surprised at how well TMP has aged for me. It’s just that the pacing of the movie is a lot more like earlier classic sci-fi films like The Andromeda Strain or Planet of the Apes.  Once you get into that head space, it’s actually an excellent film.

To tell you the truth, I’ve just grown to appreciate the slower pace of the older “pre-Star Wars” films across the board. It was about 20 years ago that I began to realize that SW was not only a game changer in the SFX department, but it was the first movie that “machine gunned” the plot at you. There’s hardly a breathable moment in the film (maybe the brief scene with Obi Wan talking to Luke on Tatooine).  Don’t get me wrong, I still love SW, but it seems like most action and sci-fi films from that day forward are edited by Freddy Krueger with ADD on a sugar high.  Going back to when movies just slowed down and let things develop seems very refreshing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #4590 on: June 04, 2023, 07:33:27 PM »
Jammin, my dude, I ask this as I finish the 3rd episode of Lower Decks.....how can you complain that modern sci fi is too ADHD but love Lower Decks?!?!

Anyway, this is an odd show. It is, to me, at its heart an actual Star Trek show. In that it's about characters dealing with problems/situations through creative solutions. It's not about an evil villain or the world/galaxy/whatever about to be destroyed.

But it's soooooo hard to watch. Though I admit, at the end of the 3rd episode when in future they refer to Miles as the most important member of Star Fleet, I had a big smile on my face.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4591 on: June 05, 2023, 05:08:22 AM »
As I’ve gotten older, I’m always surprised at how well TMP has aged for me. It’s just that the pacing of the movie is a lot more like earlier classic sci-fi films like The Andromeda Strain or Planet of the Apes.  Once you get into that head space, it’s actually an excellent film.

To tell you the truth, I’ve just grown to appreciate the slower pace of the older “pre-Star Wars” films across the board. It was about 20 years ago that I began to realize that SW was not only a game changer in the SFX department, but it was the first movie that “machine gunned” the plot at you. There’s hardly a breathable moment in the film (maybe the brief scene with Obi Wan talking to Luke on Tatooine).  Don’t get me wrong, I still love SW, but it seems like most action and sci-fi films from that day forward are edited by Freddy Krueger with ADD on a sugar high.  Going back to when movies just slowed down and let things develop seems very refreshing.

To be fair TV shows have taken this role.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4593 on: June 05, 2023, 09:06:32 PM »

I read a comment somewhere recently that in Phantom Menace, there is a ton of stuff going on in the last 30 minutes of the film, which by late 90s standards, may be true, but by the standards of the last 30 minutes of Rise of Skywalker in the mid 2010s, it looks like a high school photography project.

I am in general agreement with the second paragraph. However, ST:TMP is an awful movie.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4594 on: June 05, 2023, 09:41:20 PM »
Jammin, my dude, I ask this as I finish the 3rd episode of Lower Decks.....how can you complain that modern sci fi is too ADHD but love Lower Decks?!?!

Anyway, this is an odd show. It is, to me, at its heart an actual Star Trek show. In that it's about characters dealing with problems/situations through creative solutions. It's not about an evil villain or the world/galaxy/whatever about to be destroyed.

But it's soooooo hard to watch. Though I admit, at the end of the 3rd episode when in future they refer to Miles as the most important member of Star Fleet, I had a big smile on my face.

Ok, that first line got a very literal LOL.

I guess it’s just because my expectations are completely different between a 1/2 hour cartoon and a 2 1/2 hour piece of cinema.   Even as I go back to older movies that I found “boring” in my youth, I’m starting to pick out more of the “spectacle” of it all.  I mean, when I was 16 and super into thrash metal, the first 2 (maybe 4) minutes of Shine On You Crazy Diamond seemed like a complete waste of time. Now that I’m 53, I would consider editing even a single second to be heresy.  Go figure.

I don’t see how anyone can love Futurama and NOT love Lower Decks.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 01:23:50 PM by jammindude »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4595 on: June 06, 2023, 12:39:17 PM »
 :lol That photo of Bakula living his best life reminds me of how Sandler always gets actresses 8 or 9 leagues above him to play his girlfriend/wife.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4596 on: June 07, 2023, 02:34:22 AM »

Futurama in it's first run has a much higher hit rate with the funny, even the comedy central second run is overall funnier.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4597 on: June 07, 2023, 08:35:05 AM »
Why not?  One is an original comedic cartoon, and the other is purportedly Star Trek.  Two different things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4598 on: June 07, 2023, 09:14:17 AM »
Why not?  One is an original comedic cartoon, and the other is purportedly Star Trek.  Two different things.

Not liking it doesn't stop it being Star Trek.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4599 on: June 07, 2023, 09:18:02 AM »

Not liking it doesn't stop it being Star Trek.
You're right about that. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4600 on: June 07, 2023, 11:32:18 AM »
I like V more than most, too.  A lot of people hate on it, but I truly don't get it.  They weren't on a "mission to find God"; Kirk quite clearly didn't think it was God and asked him why God would need a starship.  Laurence Luckinbill as Sybok was great.  "What would you be willing to do if someone could take away your life's greatest pain or regret?" I thought was an interesting question to explore.  I even liked the campfire scenes and "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".  Spock gets it!  He can sing!

I watched it not too terribly long ago. It's not terrible, but there were things that just didn't work. Sybock could have been anybody, but making him Spock's brother just didn't make much sense. And his method of controlling people was silly. He could have twirled a spiral coin in front of them and it would have made more sense. Taking away my greatest regret isn't going to turn me into someone's willing thrall.  The ending honestly didn't bother me, though, because as you said, Kirk knew all along. Making Spock the Klingon weapons officer was dumb, though. Overall it's clearly the weakest of the lot, but it's not awful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4601 on: June 07, 2023, 11:45:49 AM »
Good points.  I guess I tend to enjoy the stuff I like about something, and try not to let the dumb stuff bother me too much. Yeah, there were some dumb things about it, too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4602 on: June 07, 2023, 07:07:10 PM »
ST:V has some good scenes, but the sum of those scenes is definitely greater than the film as a whole.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4603 on: June 08, 2023, 01:31:52 AM »
ST:V has some good scenes, but the sum of those scenes is definitely greater than the film as a whole.

5 > 4.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4604 on: June 08, 2023, 05:33:27 AM »

5 > 4.

Very much.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4605 on: June 08, 2023, 08:44:40 AM »
No.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4606 on: June 08, 2023, 09:08:27 AM »
Yeah that's definitely a hot take. Care to elaborate?

Offline Adami

« Reply #4607 on: June 08, 2023, 10:24:50 AM »
Finally on the 2nd half of the 1st season of Lower Decks. Not easy.

I really wish modern Star Trek was....less about Star Trek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4608 on: June 08, 2023, 11:36:14 AM »
Yeah that's definitely a hot take. Care to elaborate?

4 is just a typical bad 80's fish outta water (literally) comedy, it's also dated the worst of all the films.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4609 on: June 10, 2023, 12:28:00 AM »
STIV:TVH is Trek gone too cosy, smirky 80's family comedy for my taste. Not a genre I have a problem with, but not what I wanted from Trek.

I have a bunch more peevs with it. That's no tension, they're not in outer space, not in the future, there's no Enterprise, Spock is not quite Spock yet, there's no baddie, the whales plot bores me, the whale scientist is annoying.

Other than that, I love it. 😉 The TOS cast chemistry is on great form but as whole it's not for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4610 on: June 10, 2023, 12:40:08 AM »
There’s an old Vulcan proverb that says:

Ask men what their favorite Star Trek film is, and they’ll say Wrath of Khan.

Ask women what their favorite Star Trek film is, and they’ll say “THE ONE WITH THE WHALES!!!”

:angel: :angel:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4611 on: June 10, 2023, 02:57:20 AM »

Ask women what their favorite Star Trek film is, and they’ll say “THE ONE WITH THE WHALES!!!”

I haven't seen that one yet, I'm planning to watch it this weekend.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4612 on: June 10, 2023, 10:19:43 AM »

Hrrmph. My lady says, "The one with Karl Urban in!"  ;)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4613 on: June 11, 2023, 08:29:47 PM »
STIV:TVH is Trek gone too cosy, smirky 80's family comedy for my taste. Not a genre I have a problem with, but not what I wanted from Trek.

I have a bunch more peevs with it. That's no tension, they're not in outer space, not in the future, there's no Enterprise, Spock is not quite Spock yet, there's no baddie, the whales plot bores me, the whale scientist is annoying.

After II and III they were going for something lighter in spirit and tone. And while I don't want to challenge your assessment, plenty of good TOS episodes were not focused on the Enterprise, outer space, or a Baddie. If the lack of tension ruins it for you or you found the plot boring, that is a fair criticism. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4614 on: June 12, 2023, 04:44:48 AM »

After II and III they were going for something lighter in spirit and tone. And while I don't want to challenge your assessment, plenty of good TOS episodes were not focused on the Enterprise, outer space, or a Baddie. If the lack of tension ruins it for you or you found the plot boring, that is a fair criticism.

I don't have any thoughts about fair criticism, just what I don't like about it. I'm not saying it's a piece of crap just not one of my faves. :smiley:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4615 on: June 13, 2023, 01:48:20 AM »

Okay I watched The Voyage Home on Saturday. It was a pretty good movie, leaning a bit more on the humour side of things this time. Wrath Of Khan is still my favourite though.

Which TNG movies do you recommend? I'm going through the TNG series now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4616 on: June 13, 2023, 02:01:05 AM »

Okay I watched The Voyage Home on Saturday. It was a pretty good movie, leaning a bit more on the humour side of things this time. Wrath Of Khan is still my favourite though.

First Contact is far and away the best TNG film.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4617 on: June 13, 2023, 02:04:04 AM »

TNG movies are nowhere near the quality of the series sadly IMO. But, I'd say Generations because a lot of story development happens concerning the later movies. It's mediocre at best otherwise. Also First Contact, because it's the best of the bunch IMO.

Insurrection and Nemesis are forgettable and horrible respectively. But if you are planning to watch Picard series at some point, you should at least check the story synopsis for Nemesis, because Picard leans into the story of Nemesis quite heavily.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4618 on: June 13, 2023, 09:50:55 AM »
I’m completely in the minority, but Insurrection is absolutely my favorite TNG movie.

Most people hate it for the same reason I love it. It feels like a really fantastic two-part TV episode that was made into a film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4619 on: June 13, 2023, 10:24:03 AM »
I’m completely in the minority, but Insurrection is absolutely my favorite TNG movie.

Most people hate it for the same reason I love it. It feels like a really fantastic two-part TV episode that was made into a film.
Well, it feels like a mediocre two part episode that was made into a bad film.