Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275825 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4550 on: May 30, 2023, 06:40:23 AM »
New trailer for SNW 2.  Was dreading the Lower Decks crossover - but pleased to see they aren't using animation.

Yea, the trailer didn't do much for me. Not necessarily cause of the show, but the trailer was just so all over the place.

And now I feel a need to watch all of Lower Decks so I'm not in the dark. God dammit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4551 on: May 30, 2023, 06:46:05 AM »
New trailer for SNW 2.  Was dreading the Lower Decks crossover - but pleased to see they aren't using animation.

Yea, the trailer didn't do much for me. Not necessarily cause of the show, but the trailer was just so all over the place.

And now I feel a need to watch all of Lower Decks so I'm not in the dark. God dammit.

Yeah the trailer was standard exciting stuff happens with the odd moment of humour.  Only thing I really took from it (aside from the not animated) was it looks like we will get more Kirk.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4552 on: May 30, 2023, 06:56:03 AM »
Not necessarily a good thing imo - that guy does not scream "Kirk" to me.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4553 on: May 30, 2023, 07:24:03 AM »
Not necessarily a good thing imo - that guy does not scream "Kirk" to me.

He wasn't awful an actor, but I wasn't sold on his portrayal in the little we saw in Season 1.  Pine pretty much nailed a modern Kirk so it was always going to be a tough act to follow.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4554 on: May 30, 2023, 07:28:01 AM »
I tried to watch Lower Decks, and got a good half dozen or so episodes in, but the frenetic nature of it was really offputting for me.  It felt hard to take seriously if the show wasn't taking itself seriously.  So I wasn't exactly dreading the crossover, but it wasn't doing anything for me.  But apparently they've had characters cross over from other Star Trek series, so it makes some sense to have the Lower Decks characters be live action on the live action show.  So now I'm kinda looking forward to it, although I'm not sure if it'll get me to give Lower Decks another shot.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4555 on: May 30, 2023, 07:37:47 AM »
I tried to watch Lower Decks, and got a good half dozen or so episodes in, but the frenetic nature of it was really offputting for me.  It felt hard to take seriously if the show wasn't taking itself seriously.  So I wasn't exactly dreading the crossover, but it wasn't doing anything for me.  But apparently they've had characters cross over from other Star Trek series, so it makes some sense to have the Lower Decks characters be live action on the live action show.  So now I'm kinda looking forward to it, although I'm not sure if it'll get me to give Lower Decks another shot.

I find it really hard to class Lower Decks as Canon.  Not just because it's animated, but because the tone (and the physics of the world) are completely different.  I mean I love a good wacky animated show, but it doesn't fit Trek for me - also even taking the Trek out of it, it's still not very good, or funny.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4556 on: May 30, 2023, 08:44:28 AM »
That's pretty much where I landed as well.  Sure, there were the uniforms and occasional reference to something canonical, but the tone just didn't work for me and I was only so-so on the characters.  It didn't "feel" like Star Trek to me.

Online Adami

« Reply #4557 on: May 30, 2023, 08:55:07 AM »

I find it really hard to class Lower Decks as Canon.  Not just because it's animated, but because the tone (and the physics of the world) are completely different.  I mean I love a good wacky animated show, but it doesn't fit Trek for me - also even taking the Trek out of it, it's still not very good, or funny.

GATEKEEPER!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4558 on: May 30, 2023, 08:59:53 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Lower Decks. That and SNW saved Star Trek for me. I was about to give up entirely before those two shows came along.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4559 on: May 30, 2023, 09:08:03 AM »
I completely on board with Strange New Worlds.  That show "saved" Star Trek for me, by bringing back the exploration, the characterization, and the episodic nature (which I think I'll always prefer to the contemporary trend of an entire season of a show being essentially one long story).  Lower Decks just didn't work for me.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4560 on: May 30, 2023, 09:18:27 AM »
I am Vinz, Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer. Volguus Zildrohar, Lord of the Sebouillia. Are you the GATEKEEPER!?

Yup.

woof.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4561 on: May 30, 2023, 09:42:51 AM »
I like lower decks. Tonally, its the anti-DS9, and I think that's fine. For me, it still feels like Trek in regards to some of the stuff it explores, the cultures it presents and such like.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4562 on: May 30, 2023, 10:23:56 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Lower Decks. That and SNW saved Star Trek for me. I was about to give up entirely before those two shows came along.

I'm the same. Initially rejected LD, until a mate said it was his favourite new Trek. Went back to it and have loved it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

« Reply #4563 on: May 30, 2023, 10:27:08 AM »
I saw the first episode a year or so ago and didn't love it.

But if I can watch all 3 seasons of Picard (eventually) then LD should be a piece of pie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4564 on: May 30, 2023, 11:50:45 AM »
I get what you're saying, but for me it's not necessarily a valid comparison.  I spent many years watching the TNG crew and getting to know them, and even if the writing was bad, I was interested to see -- canonically -- where they are now and what they're up to.  And Season Three was full-on TNG fan service, so what the heck.

LD managed to make me care a little bit about Mariner and Boimler, but I guess not enough to put up with everything else on screen to get to the part I cared about.  Obviously mileage varies even amongst the most hard-core Trek fans (which I'm not, but I guess I'm more serious than the average fan).

Online Adami

« Reply #4565 on: May 30, 2023, 11:57:19 AM »
Totally fair.

Rewatched the first episode. Yea, not good at all. At least it was about a problem to solve and not a huge bad villain, so that's a plus. But yea, it was so frenetic, rapid, hyper, and essentially a list of references at times that it was hard to care.

I'll try to power through.

And my statement about Picard really was more about seasons 1 and 2. While I didn't love season 3 as much as everyone else, it was easy enough to watch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4566 on: May 30, 2023, 12:42:18 PM »
Totally fair.

Rewatched the first episode. Yea, not good at all. At least it was about a problem to solve and not a huge bad villain, so that's a plus. But yea, it was so frenetic, rapid, hyper, and essentially a list of references at times that it was hard to care.

I'll try to power through.

And my statement about Picard really was more about seasons 1 and 2. While I didn't love season 3 as much as everyone else, it was easy enough to watch.

If you think the member berries are to much in Picard you'll really struggle with LD.

I watched the first two seasons and will at some point watch season 3 - a few episodes are solid enough in a sub Futurama way, but a lot of it is just annoying, Mariner in particular is a Neelix level character in terms of just grating.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4567 on: May 30, 2023, 01:38:27 PM »

I'm the same. Initially rejected LD, until a mate said it was his favourite new Trek. Went back to it and have loved it.

LD gets better. I really like most of the characters EXCEPT Mariner; cannot stand her.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4568 on: May 31, 2023, 10:12:50 AM »
I have zero interest in watching Lower Decks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4569 on: May 31, 2023, 03:34:10 PM »
I have zero interest in watching Lower Decks.
I guess your interest is... lower than the decks.

Online Adami

« Reply #4570 on: May 31, 2023, 05:23:33 PM »
On the second episode and it’s really trying my patience. This isn’t like Picard. Which was terrible writing of a decent premise. This is an annoying show being the best version of itself. Thus very annoying.

If I don’t finish it, is anyone able to explain how a show set in or after TNG is able to cross over with Pike and such?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4571 on: June 01, 2023, 02:40:09 AM »
If I don’t finish it, is anyone able to explain how a show set in or after TNG is able to cross over with Pike and such?

Timey Wimey stuff.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4572 on: June 02, 2023, 02:38:38 AM »
As a Star Trek noob I just started watching TNG, it seems like the best place to start. I did some research and saw that pretty much everyone ranked season 1-2 as the worst ones, so I jumped straight into season 3. I've only seen two episodes so far but I really like it. Did I do right in skipping the first two seasons? Did I miss something vital to the overall plot?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4573 on: June 02, 2023, 03:44:38 AM »
As a Star Trek noob I just started watching TNG, it seems like the best place to start. I did some research and saw that pretty much everyone ranked season 1-2 as the worst ones, so I jumped straight into season 3. I've only seen two episodes so far but I really like it. Did I do right in skipping the first two seasons? Did I miss something vital to the overall plot?

You'd probably get something out of the first episode 'Encounter at Farpoint' as it'll introduce you to the crew and Q.  After that I'd say these episodes are worth a look because they either introduce something or are actually decent episodes.

Season 1.
- Encounter at Farpoint.
- Datalore.
- Skin of Evil
- Conspirancy.

Season 2.
- Elementary, Dear Data.
- A Matter of Honor.
- The Measure of Man
- Time Squared
- Q Who.
- Peak Performance.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4574 on: June 02, 2023, 03:50:24 AM »
Thanks, I'll check them out before I continue with season 3 then :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4575 on: June 02, 2023, 04:09:12 PM »
If you're going to commit to watching ST, you should probably go all in. In for an ore, in for a krona, or something like that. I mean, are you interested in watching 125 episodes, but not 175?

Also, while Soupy's list is solid enough, what I've found is that when I made a recommended viewing guide for somebody his interests were pretty much completely different than my own.  A lot of the first two seasons blew, but that doesn't mean you won't find things you like about them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4576 on: June 02, 2023, 04:13:02 PM »
If you're not a completionist, it might be easier to list episodes to skip since even the meh ones are still fun and stuff.

I'd just skip over Code of Honor, The Last Outpost, Justice, Angel One, Up the Long Latter, and Shades of Grey.

I'd say the rest, while not all great, all have some value.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4577 on: June 02, 2023, 09:02:49 PM »
If you're not a completionist, it might be easier to list episodes to skip since even the meh ones are still fun and stuff.

I'd just skip over Code of Honor, The Last Outpost, Justice, Angel One, Up the Long Latter, and Shades of Grey.

I'd say the rest, while not all great, all have some value.

NO VACCINE!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4578 on: June 04, 2023, 03:09:26 AM »
My trekking continues. I just watched The Wrath Of Khan and The Search For Spock back-to-back. Both great movies, I slightly preferred Khan though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4579 on: June 04, 2023, 06:18:18 AM »
Khan is regarded at the best Star Trek movie.  The running joke with fans is the even numbered movies are better.  I do love The Search for Spock.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4580 on: June 04, 2023, 07:24:59 AM »
The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home (II-III-IV) form one continuous story, with III and IV each picking up right from the end of the previous movie.  Yeah, most people know that.  But together, I think they're about the epitome of TOS Trek.  We get adventure, fun, serious character work and development, and pretty good storytelling, all with cinematic production values.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4581 on: June 04, 2023, 02:57:28 PM »
I feel VI is the equal of those 3. Probably better than III and IV IMO.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4582 on: June 04, 2023, 04:11:54 PM »
I feel VI is the equal of those 3. Probably better than III and IV IMO.

I never liked 3 or 4 too much. I liked 5 and 6 more. Everyone hates 5 but I like the premise and the preposterous over-acting in places.  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4583 on: June 04, 2023, 05:32:21 PM »
I like V more than most, too.  A lot of people hate on it, but I truly don't get it.  They weren't on a "mission to find God"; Kirk quite clearly didn't think it was God and asked him why God would need a starship.  Laurence Luckinbill as Sybok was great.  "What would you be willing to do if someone could take away your life's greatest pain or regret?" I thought was an interesting question to explore.  I even liked the campfire scenes and "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".  Spock gets it!  He can sing!

Online Adami

« Reply #4584 on: June 04, 2023, 05:37:55 PM »
V isn’t bad actually. Until the end. The end is awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com