Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 274136 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4515 on: April 21, 2023, 11:17:51 AM »
So that scene is setting up another spinoff series?  Is that just a rumor, or confirmed? 
Nothing is official yet.  But just this morning, I saw an interview with Sir Patrick in Variety where he indicated that if such a show was to go forward, he would be willing to make the occasional guest appearance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4516 on: April 21, 2023, 03:05:00 PM »
I thought it was incredibly dull and am glad it's finished.  :lol

The cast were great. The writing and dialogue were dreadful. There were so many lines that made no sense at all. I felt zero tension or excitement. The Borg Cube and Queen was a great example of something entirely unengaging that was meant to be a huge threat.

Shaw, 7 and Worf were the standouts for me. Riker, Troi, Geordi and - yes even Data - were really good.

My favourite parts were the ships. Lovely to see the Enterprise D in action. Titan was really cool too.

Better than Nemesis and Picard S1. Worse than Discovery seasons 1-3.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4517 on: April 21, 2023, 07:06:27 PM »
Thought they nailed it mostly personally.  The crew of TNG have never been that engaging before, by far and away the best versions of Geordi, Ryker and Troi.  The story was fine, it was exciting when it needed to be, had a sense of fun often lacking in TNG, good pacing - and gave closure to the cast.  Pisses all over The Mandolorian 3 season  ;D

Wasn't keen on the credits scene - although it is amusing that they have basically undone nearly everything they setup in the awful second season.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4518 on: April 22, 2023, 12:38:48 AM »
Glad you dug it. They certainly went all out to honour the TNG cast and give them a decent send-off, filling that gap in Trek lore.

Sort of spoliers below:

Love the idea of a Captain Seven show, but I don't enjoy Raffi or Jack. I thought the struggling addict Raffi in S1 was a fresh take on a Starfleet officer but I've since fallen in with the majority - she's a yawnfest. And Jack doesn't click for me. I was really hoping they'd bring back Shaw somehow and it'd be Shaw and Seven. They were fantastic together.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4519 on: April 22, 2023, 12:59:59 AM »
Ok

Love the idea of a Captain Seven show, but I don't enjoy Raffi or Jack. I thought the struggling addict Raffi in S1 was a fresh take on a Starfleet officer but I've since fallen in with the majority - she's a yawnfest. And Jack doesn't click for me. I was really hoping they'd bring back Shaw somehow and it'd be Shaw and Seven. They were fantastic together.

I don't really have any appetite for that spinoff either.  I actually liked Jack, I think the actor did a really good job in a role that was basically a plot device - without those shackles I think he would be a fun character.  But like you without Shaw it isn't interesting enough for me.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4520 on: April 22, 2023, 07:21:38 AM »
Some good moments, overall I would categorize this season as unnecessary, they could have just released Youtube Shorts of the TNG crew just being in one room and I'd have had more fun watching that. All in all, I'm glad it's over.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4521 on: April 22, 2023, 04:06:39 PM »
Watched the Picard finale this morning.  For everyone who has been disappointed in the season, I'm not sure this will alleviate any of your specific concerns.  Some really cool visuals, and some really big bullshit to go along with it.

It definitely was not the season that I would have written for this show, but I was more or less satisfied with what I got.  Definitely a better wrap-up for the crew than fucking Nemesis.

Just an FYI: there is a post-credits scene that I am reasonably sure that Adami will hate lol

This is exactly my reaction to the finale/season.  Lots of minor nits to gripe about, but overall, it's the best of the three seasons.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4522 on: April 24, 2023, 05:16:51 AM »
The worst thing about the season is the term 'member berries'.  I'm guessing some snarky Youtuber dug it up in their review, now it's the go to term when criticising the show - I've seen it so many places it's ironically like the these people have been assimilated in the the Borg collective/hivemind and all spout out the same lines.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4523 on: April 24, 2023, 08:25:14 AM »
The worst thing about the season is the term 'member berries'.  I'm guessing some snarky Youtuber dug it up in their review, now it's the go to term when criticising the show - I've seen it so many places it's ironically like the these people have been assimilated in the the Borg collective/hivemind and all spout out the same lines.

I stand by my use of the term member berries. Especially in this context when I specifically used it. A good amount of things at that time seemed to be presented so the audience would remember them and served no other purpose.

Remember Kirk? Remember tribbles? Remember Moriarty? Remember Star Trek IV? Remember the Defiant? Remember the OG Enterprise? Etc. Cut all of that out and it makes 0 impact on anything that happened.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4524 on: April 24, 2023, 09:12:27 AM »
Not every minute of every episode of every season of ever tv show has to have an “impact” to the plot line. “Fucking solids” didn’t have an impact, but everyone seemed to enjoy that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4525 on: April 24, 2023, 09:13:04 AM »

I stand by my use of the term member berries. Especially in this context when I specifically used it. A good amount of things at that time seemed to be presented so the audience would remember them and served no other purpose.

Remember Kirk? Remember tribbles? Remember Moriarty? Remember Star Trek IV? Remember the Defiant? Remember the OG Enterprise? Etc. Cut all of that out and it makes 0 impact on anything that happened.

Completely honest, I hadn't seen you use it (if it felt like an attack on you, it wasn't - or well it kind off is in an unintended way  ;D)  I've only really been looking at reviews since the whole thing ended, and nearly every negative review includes it.  Just curious, did you use it organically, or did you pick it from someone else?   I'll be honest I've never heard of it before (appariently it comes from an 8 year old episode of Southpark, or something).  As a huge Doctor Who fan I'd have thought I'd seen it before, as Doctor Who is one massive ripe 'Member Berry'.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4526 on: April 24, 2023, 09:16:34 AM »
Not every minute of every episode of every season of ever tv show has to have an “impact” to the plot line. “Fucking solids” didn’t have an impact, but everyone seemed to enjoy that.

Correct. Still stand by what I said.

Completely honest, I hadn't seen you use it (if it felt like an attack on you, it wasn't - or well it kind off is in an unintended way  ;D)  I've only really been looking at reviews since the whole thing ended.  Just curious, did you use it organically, or did you pick it from someone else?   I'll be honest I've never heard of it before (appariently it comes from an 8 year old episode of Southpark, or something).  As a huge Doctor Who fan I'd have thought I'd seen it before, as Doctor Who is always choc full of 'Member Berries'.

No worries. Yes, I got it from South Park as well. I believe they may have coined it or at least popularized it. I'm using it the way the word was meant to use in the episode, which was about Star Wars, oddly enough, and it was living berries just saying "member" this or that? So that's how I see it. Member berries can be fine if used well within a cool context. But just telling us stuff to remember, especially when it's in the middle of a completely non-engaging and poorly written story, stands out as cheap and annoying to me, and hopefully not many other people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4527 on: April 24, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »
No worries. Yes, I got it from South Park as well. I believe they may have coined it or at least popularized it. I'm using it the way the word was meant to use in the episode, which was about Star Wars, oddly enough, and it was living berries just saying "member" this or that? So that's how I see it. Member berries can be fine if used well within a cool context. But just telling us stuff to remember, especially when it's in the middle of a completely non-engaging and poorly written story, stands out as cheap and annoying to me, and hopefully not many other people.

I'll give you Moriarty.  But I thought the rest were fine and fun.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4528 on: April 24, 2023, 10:04:21 AM »
I've seen some reviews here and there.

While I've seen some stuff online that is fairly critical, I think the worst stuff I've read has been in this thread  :lol  Most people (fans and critics) seem to have enjoyed the season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4529 on: April 24, 2023, 10:10:50 AM »
Yea, I've written enough about my issues with it. I still enjoyed it a lot more than any other Picard season and most of Discovery. I think I've been pretty fair but I don't want to go on any tirades or anything. So I'll leave it for now. I don't have any new thoughts at the moment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4530 on: April 24, 2023, 10:11:51 AM »
Yea, I've written enough about my issues with it. I still enjoyed it a lot more than any other Picard season and most of Discovery. I think I've been pretty fair but I don't want to go on any tirades or anything. So I'll leave it for now. I don't have any new thoughts at the moment.
I don't think you've been unfair in the slightest.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4531 on: April 24, 2023, 11:04:05 AM »
Finally finished it out on Sunday. I loved it. Was it fan service? It was indeed. But you know what? It was necessary fan service, IMO. That crew deserved a better ending, and they got one. The kid who watched Encounter at Farpoint in 1987, who recorded the audio from TV in 1989 (as our VCR was broken, and our TV was all but busted except for a grainy picture and the audio) using a tape recorder, and then listened to each episode over and over again, and stuck with this crew all the way through, came away pleased. Was it perfect? No. Were there plot holes? Yes. But was the chemistry there? The connection between that crew, and this late-40s guy who remembers them as a pre-teen? Yep, it was there, and I came away happy with the end result. Much happier with that in comparison to Nemesis. Wrapped with a bow. Done.

Moving forward, I am interested where the Next Gen crew goes, but I am NOT interested in Jack Crusher's story, or the Titan...err...you know...the newly promoted peoples' adventure. Frankly, those promotions are one of the more far-fetched pieces of the whole thing, IMO. But the ending for the Next Gen crew tugged at the heartstrings, felt good, and I'm satisfied.

Now, when will my beloved Deep Space Nine get some respect? You have Cirroc Lofton trying to pimp out Sisko Day in May, trying to drum up the buzz. DS9 was so, so unique and good. And it's really a shame they've ignored it (except for the obvious use of the changelings).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4532 on: April 24, 2023, 11:37:51 AM »
For the ending poker game, they filmed for 45 minutes and let the actors completely flow and ad lib.  That's awesome.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4533 on: April 24, 2023, 11:42:03 AM »
Riker added some great levity to the show.  I loved it.  But, the serious, emotional side with Trio was excellent too.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4534 on: April 24, 2023, 12:28:15 PM »
For the ending poker game, they filmed for 45 minutes and let the actors completely flow and ad lib.  That's awesome.

Amazing. And what a fitting end with Picard finally joining them. Just perfect.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4535 on: April 24, 2023, 12:52:08 PM »
I don't think you've been unfair in the slightest.

IMO, I think Adami's assessments have been accurate.  However, accuracy doesn't always mean fair.  We could call our spouses emotional and temperamental every 28 days.  It would be accurate, but not exactly fair.   :lol

Amazing. And what a fitting end with Picard finally joining them. Just perfect.

I figured that @hefs comment was the case.  And Picard did join them at the end of All Good Things.  "I should have done this long ago" ... "You were always welcome".

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4536 on: April 24, 2023, 02:35:49 PM »

I figured that @hefs comment was the case.  And Picard did join them at the end of All Good Things.  "I should have done this long ago" ... "You were always welcome".

I stand corrected. I knew that, but forgot. It has been a while since I watched All Good Things.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4537 on: April 25, 2023, 04:45:30 AM »

You are the fairest miserable gatekeeping cunt I know.  ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #4538 on: April 25, 2023, 05:53:30 AM »
Thanks mom.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4539 on: April 25, 2023, 02:02:18 PM »
Random  thought.....Jack was more Kirk than Picard, David was more Picard than Kirk.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4540 on: April 26, 2023, 07:27:08 AM »
Random  thought.....Jack was more Kirk than Picard, David was more Picard than Kirk.

That..........is actually a pretty interesting observation. Jack was very Kirk like and probably would have been a better Kirk than whoever is playing him on SNW.

Also, unrelated, watching The Shuttlepod Show and Todd Stashwick is on this week. I gotta say, it took me a while to come around on Shaw but I'm pretty sure I could hang out with Todd. Dude just seems super cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4541 on: April 26, 2023, 07:51:29 AM »
That..........is actually a pretty interesting observation. Jack was very Kirk like and probably would have been a better Kirk than whoever is playing him on SNW.

Yeah.  I'd actually forgotten Kirk was in SNW till the trailer for Season 2.

I watched 'The Motion Picture' last night for the first time in many, many years (decades) - I was genuinely shocked to hear the TNG theme tune over the closing credits, I didn't realise that wasn't original for TNG.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4542 on: April 26, 2023, 08:11:16 AM »
I watched 'The Motion Picture' last night for the first time in many, many years (decades) - I was genuinely shocked to hear the TNG theme tune over the closing credits, I didn't realise that wasn't original for TNG.

I watched 'The Motion Picture' a few years ago, also for the first time in a while, and the same thing happened.  I heard the TNG theme at the end and went "What!?"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4543 on: April 27, 2023, 03:47:53 PM »

Yeah.  I'd actually forgotten Kirk was in SNW till the trailer for Season 2.

This is news to me as well. Wow.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4544 on: May 10, 2023, 02:27:54 PM »
As for the Enterprise guys, you're right that they're likely cashing in on the ONE thing people might know them from to get this off the ground. Can't fault them for that, but they're actually pretty good at what they do. They're still working on getting the better guests but even the little ones they have had have been interesting to see what life is like for C list actors and how Star Trek was from a behind the scenes perspective with little room for sugar coating anything. It's not super ground breaking, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

And I think there actually was a very short lived Voyager podcast with Kim and maybe Paris?
The one I [partly] watched from the ENT guys was with Quark. He had a somewhat interesting background [he got into acting to get laid], but I didn't get far enough in to actually cover any ST ground. Mostly they've just had minor guys from ENT, but it looks like Combs and Dorn have both done their show, so I'll certainly give them another shot.

I think the problem is that the more interesting you could be, either as a host or a guest, the busier you probably are. You're not going to see Picard and Seven hosting their own podcast, awesome though it might be. Similarly they're not going to spend two hours on a Saturday hanging out talking shop with Trip and Malcolm. Two notable names that haven't been on their show are Archer and T'pol. One is probably pretty busy actually acting, and the other is so fucking rich she probably never leaves her own private island. I think that kind of sums up the dilemma.

And to that end, I give props to Frakes. He is busy. He was successful. He's likely got mad money. He still finds time to so these sorts of shows.

And sure enough, Frakes was on the most recent Shuttlepod Show. Oddly, I didn't find it as interesting as some of the other, second tier guys, you get more of the business side of things with them, but Riker's a pretty funny guy.

Apparently LaForge is coming up on the next one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #4545 on: May 10, 2023, 02:29:05 PM »
As for the Enterprise guys, you're right that they're likely cashing in on the ONE thing people might know them from to get this off the ground. Can't fault them for that, but they're actually pretty good at what they do. They're still working on getting the better guests but even the little ones they have had have been interesting to see what life is like for C list actors and how Star Trek was from a behind the scenes perspective with little room for sugar coating anything. It's not super ground breaking, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

And I think there actually was a very short lived Voyager podcast with Kim and maybe Paris?
The one I [partly] watched from the ENT guys was with Quark. He had a somewhat interesting background [he got into acting to get laid], but I didn't get far enough in to actually cover any ST ground. Mostly they've just had minor guys from ENT, but it looks like Combs and Dorn have both done their show, so I'll certainly give them another shot.

I think the problem is that the more interesting you could be, either as a host or a guest, the busier you probably are. You're not going to see Picard and Seven hosting their own podcast, awesome though it might be. Similarly they're not going to spend two hours on a Saturday hanging out talking shop with Trip and Malcolm. Two notable names that haven't been on their show are Archer and T'pol. One is probably pretty busy actually acting, and the other is so fucking rich she probably never leaves her own private island. I think that kind of sums up the dilemma.

And to that end, I give props to Frakes. He is busy. He was successful. He's likely got mad money. He still finds time to so these sorts of shows.

And sure enough, Frakes was on the most recent Shuttlepod Show. Oddly, I didn't find it as interesting as some of the other, second tier guys, you get more of the business side of things with them, but Riker's a pretty funny guy.

Apparently LaForge is coming up on the next one.

I appreciated his brutal honesty on the last episode of Enterprise.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4546 on: May 10, 2023, 02:42:14 PM »
What did he say?  Summarize as much as you like.  I probably won't look up the podcast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4547 on: May 10, 2023, 02:55:26 PM »
What did he say?  Summarize as much as you like.  I probably won't look up the podcast.
Here's where they talk about it. Probably less than five minutes.

https://youtu.be/sibLpRcp-po?t=472
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4548 on: May 10, 2023, 08:17:22 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for that.

And of course, he's absolutely right.  I didn't really watch Enterprise (I caught a few episodes here and there), but I remember the shitstorm that followed the finale.  I checked out the episode itself years ago, and it seemed pretty bad, exactly what Frakes is describing, but since I wasn't a regular viewer of the show, I didn't know if there was something else, some other layer, that I wasn't getting.  Nope.  It was a weird-ass tangent and that's how they ended it.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4549 on: May 30, 2023, 06:38:42 AM »
New trailer for SNW 2.  Was dreading the Lower Decks crossover - but pleased to see they aren't using animation.