Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275614 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4480 on: April 19, 2023, 09:04:09 AM »
For all of this season's flaws, the biggest for me is killing off Shaw.  Terrible move.

It's possible he survived?  I mean it's Star Trek so there are numerous ways he could be brought back to life if they wanted too.
That would be even worse.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4481 on: April 19, 2023, 09:06:41 AM »
Killing Picard or Data would be meaningless given Picard's died once this show and Data has already died twice.

I do believe that Frakes and Spiner have said that none of them will die. But who knows?

Sad that "what twist will they make" is one of the only things there is to talk about with this show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4482 on: April 19, 2023, 09:16:03 AM »
Killing Picard or Data would be meaningless given Picard's died once this show and Data has already died twice.

I do believe that Frakes and Spiner have said that none of them will die. But who knows?

Sad that "what twist will they make" is one of the only things there is to talk about with this show.

There is loads to talk about but you are all such miserable gatekeeping cunts, who'd rather talk about the 'glory days' of Voyager, Enterprise and the Phantom Menace   ;D

I jest.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 09:28:00 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Adami

« Reply #4483 on: April 19, 2023, 09:17:51 AM »
Hey now! Only my mother gets to call me a miserable gatekeeping cunt!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4484 on: April 19, 2023, 09:24:43 AM »
Hey now! Only my mother gets to call me a miserable gatekeeping cunt!

Adami I am you mother.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4485 on: April 19, 2023, 09:31:11 AM »
That’s impossible!!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4486 on: April 19, 2023, 10:10:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm betting Picard dies. But it'll be to save Data. A return of the favor. We'll see. Him saving Jack is my second guess.

I didn't like Shaw. At all. I thought the character was acted very well, but just so anti-Star Trek to me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4487 on: April 19, 2023, 10:11:38 AM »
Aside from watching a few scenes on YT, I skipped over S2 and don't miss it. You guys make it sound like S3 is worth watching. Perhaps I'll DL it and give it a shot. It honestly sounds just as stupid as the first season, but with enough nostalgia to keep it at least amusing.

I've been giving SNW a rewatch (very slowly), and I really like the idea, and most of the cast, but I'm just not crazy about the execution. They get just enough right to make it feel kinda-sorta like Star Trek, but they also do some silly things which kind of offsets. I'm glad they're doing it, and for the most part I dig it, but it's far from perfect. Frankly, instead of killing the blind guy they could have killed the security chick and solved a whole boatload of problems. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4488 on: April 19, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »
Aside from watching a few scenes on YT, I skipped over S2 and don't miss it. You guys make it sound like S3 is worth watching. Perhaps I'll DL it and give it a shot. It honestly sounds just as stupid as the first season, but with enough nostalgia to keep it at least amusing.

I skipped S2 entirely because of what everyone said, and because S1 was just plain horrendous. Total waste of my time. Aside from not knowing what happened to Wesley and ultimately, Q, in S2 I don't feel like I missed much. Saved several hours of my life from being annoyed at the TV. S3, however, I've been in on from the start, and yes, enough nostalgia to keep it entertaining. And the chemistry is better because of those actors. It has been a much more fitting season for Picard, and I'm glad I tuned in. Give it a shot.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4489 on: April 19, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
https://youtu.be/JW_P3SRrExw

Strange New Worlds Season 2 trailer!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4490 on: April 19, 2023, 11:30:53 AM »

So we're back to TNG era Klingons now? Sure. Why not.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4491 on: April 19, 2023, 04:05:49 PM »
I've been giving SNW a rewatch (very slowly), and I really like the idea, and most of the cast, but I'm just not crazy about the execution. They get just enough right to make it feel kinda-sorta like Star Trek, but they also do some silly things which kind of offsets. I'm glad they're doing it, and for the most part I dig it, but it's far from perfect. Frankly, instead of killing the blind guy they could have killed the security chick and solved a whole boatload of problems.

I was sad they killed Dremmer.

But leave La'an! Honestly (and shallowly), I find her so attractive it hurts.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4492 on: April 20, 2023, 01:23:28 AM »
Because Paramount + wasn't available on the UK when SNW came out, after hearing all the good reviews when I finally did see it I was a little underwhelmed, it is good but I wasn't blown away by it, the cast were good (aside from the Doctor) but it was so lightweight in terms of storylines, hopefully it'll add some depth in the future.

Just watched the trailer, I'd forgotten about Kirk in it - the actor felt completely wrong in the little we saw, hope he grows into the role.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4493 on: April 20, 2023, 04:41:58 AM »
Kirk's part in the trailer is the only thing I really liked, the rest was average. And the pilot lady... she needs to stfu, I don't think the writers have written a single decent line for her so far. I find that type of characters extremely obnoxious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4494 on: April 20, 2023, 07:26:58 AM »
Watched the Picard finale this morning.  For everyone who has been disappointed in the season, I'm not sure this will alleviate any of your specific concerns.  Some really cool visuals, and some really big bullshit to go along with it.

It definitely was not the season that I would have written for this show, but I was more or less satisfied with what I got.  Definitely a better wrap-up for the crew than fucking Nemesis.

Just an FYI: there is a post-credits scene that I am reasonably sure that Adami will hate lol

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4495 on: April 20, 2023, 07:30:36 AM »
SO PUMPED!

Honestly the story has become dumb enough that I can’t imagine it getting much dumber. So I’m just gonna watch the finale expecting fun fan fiction and not much else.

Did not realize they were doing post credits. Will stick around for it. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4496 on: April 20, 2023, 07:43:05 AM »
Did not realize they were doing post credits. Will stick around for it.
I didn't either.  I saw it almost by accident because I just left the show running while I got up and was moving around, so I had to go back and rewind a little to catch the whole thing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4497 on: April 20, 2023, 08:01:37 AM »

Biggest problem I have with it is the amount of ret-conning, and shoe-horning in stupid romances so they can relate to 21st century audiences. But the production values are probably the best of any Trek show yet and the actors are mostly very good.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4498 on: April 20, 2023, 09:08:12 AM »

Biggest problem I have with it is the amount of ret-conning, and shoe-horning in stupid romances so they can relate to 21st century audiences. But the production values are probably the best of any Trek show yet and the actors are mostly very good.
Based on what little I've seen on YT, the production is my biggest issue. I can't see anything because it's all so dark. Maybe it's just the clips I've seen, but it seems like no matter where they are there aren't any lights on.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #4499 on: April 20, 2023, 09:09:48 AM »

Based on what little I've seen on YT, the production is my biggest issue. I can't see anything because it's all so dark. Maybe it's just the clips I've seen, but it seems like no matter where they are there aren't any lights on.

That's definitely the case for Picard and Discovery. I don't remember SNW being that dark though. Definitely not as bright as the classic shows, but pretty well lit for the most part. Though maybe I'm just forgetting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4500 on: April 20, 2023, 09:34:31 AM »
Watched the Picard finale this morning. 
Definitely a better wrap-up for the crew than fucking Nemesis.

The story was so ridiculous that it couldn't get any worse, and it mostly didn't.  Still a bunch of silly and outright stupid stuff, but as before, the cast manages to make the most of it.  It all rides on the characters and their chemistry.

I too stumbled upon the post-credits scene basically by accident.  As the main credits were rolling over that final scene, one of our kitties came over and stood by the foot of my chair, telegraphing her intention to jump up into my lap.  I told her maybe for a minute, because the show was over and I was going to get ready for work.  She insisted, and after hemming and hawing a bit, eventually jumped up.  After her usual walking back and forth, "testing the waters" of my lap, she finally lay down.  I ended up sitting for a while, and caught the post-credits scene.  Yes, that's a boring story, but it's at least as interesting as the post-credits scene, which was as ridiculous as the rest of this season has been.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4501 on: April 20, 2023, 09:46:18 AM »

Looks fun. I'll take that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4502 on: April 20, 2023, 02:40:17 PM »
Yea.....that was dumb. Though I enjoyed maybe 10-20% of it? I dunno.

Spoilers below.

So they ended the penultimate episode with the ultimate trek orgasm. The original crew of the D back on the D. They knew all of us wanted the D and they put their big fat D all over our eager faces.

So how do they follow that up? Immediately split them up. Weird call.

The entire Borg story was just terribly thought out. There was nothing offensively bad about this episode, but none of it (plot/story wise) was even the slightest bit well written or thought out. It was just disappointing silliness. Stacks of it. At some point writers will realize that stacking mystery boxes will always lead to a boring conclusion because the answers are almost never as interesting as the mysteries. So while you have stacks of mystery boxes to keep us guessing and curious, the stacks of boring answers is just a huge let down. Jack and the Borg, blah. I didn't care. Not even for a second. The Titan vs the entire star fleet...fleet? Didn't care because it was just handled so boringly. The transporter guns made no sense but were used well, though they already introduced that general technology (or a version of it) in Insurrection.

It was surprisingly light on cameos. I enjoyed seeing the real Tuvok. But no Janeway? Weird to keep name dropping her then. And no DS9 stuff at all. Also odd, but sure. Don't care much.

The Chekov thing took me off guard. I forgot his name was Pavel in ToS and was wondering how the old bastard was alive, until he mentioned being the son. Naming him Anton was a classy move, but the entire cameo just felt silly. President Chekov is about as fan-fic as you can possibly get.

The character moments were great as always. Loved seeing the crew do their thing. A season of that would've been nice. Ending on poker was obvious but nice. I enjoyed that. Saying that Guinan was just off screen was a very weird move to make. Whoopi not available?

And yes, the post-credits scene was incredibly stupid. Didn't hate it. Just kind of nothinged it.

So yea, very anti-climactic ending. Nice to see the OG crew. Genuinely enjoyed them.

Kind of wish they got Ron Moore or ever Berman/Behr to come write this season. I looked at most of the writers for this season and it seems they're largely generic sci-fi/action writers. It shows.

As noted above, better send off than Nemesis but I'm not sure the show as a whole was actually much better than Nemesis. A bit. But not much.

Farewell to the crew of the D.

Edit: Also it was SO god damn dark visually. I honestly had no idea what was happening on a lot of the sets. The D bridge was lit around 25% compared to the TNG show and THAT was the most well-lit set on the show. Do people not accidentally bump into things when it's so dark? Jesus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4503 on: April 20, 2023, 07:33:27 PM »
Guinan was not needed. Just the original seven. I kept it together but the poor wife was pretty emotional  :D.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4504 on: April 20, 2023, 08:32:03 PM »
Guinan was not needed. Just the original seven. I kept it together but the poor wife was pretty emotional  :D.

I agree she wasn’t needed. They didn’t need to mention that she was right there with them just off camera. It’s just very strange to say someone is RIGHT there and not show them at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4505 on: April 20, 2023, 09:07:23 PM »
Yeah, I would've preferred they not mention Guinan at all than for Riker to say she'd been giving them the side-eye for a while.  So she's right there, but we're just not gonna show her because we didn't bother to get Whoopi Goldberg, or she didn't want to, or whatever.  People on other boards have mentioned that Janeway was named-dropped at least a few times this season, and Kate Mulgrew's "rift" with Jeri Ryan has been resolved for a while now, so what was the problem?  Probably because she didn't want to be involved in this dreck, not just to be a nifty cameo.  I mean, they got Ro and Shelby, and both of them died.  Hmmm...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4506 on: April 20, 2023, 09:10:00 PM »
Oh yeah, the D versus the Borg cube was pretty silly, but Beverly totally rocking the weapons console was pretty cool.  Then they all just looked at her and she said Hey a lot's happened in the last 20 years and it was kinda badass.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4507 on: April 20, 2023, 09:16:54 PM »
Oh yeah, the D versus the Borg cube was pretty silly, but Beverly totally rocking the weapons console was pretty cool.  Then they all just looked at her and she said Hey a lot's happened in the last 20 years and it was kinda badass.

Yea. Dug that moment. Anything really with the OG cast was mostly done well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4508 on: April 21, 2023, 02:11:50 AM »
This episode like the rest of the season had it's ups and downs.

Ending was indeed a bit anti-climactic as far as the Borg storyline is concerned. But as the ending for the Enterprise crew, I could not have wished for a better ending. Picard and Jack make amends, check. Riker and Troi are planning a new honeymoon, check. Data on the precipice of becoming truly human, check. Geordi setting up Enterprise D in his museum, check. All of them having fun in a bar. Drinking, sharing a toast and playing cards. CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!

As the ending for this series, it was pretty good. But as the ending for this crew, it was just about perfect! This is the ending they deserve!

Offline Adami

« Reply #4509 on: April 21, 2023, 07:58:58 AM »
I think if someone were to edit together all of the scenes of the crew getting back together and hanging out, you know....the only parts people seem to be talking about positively, you'd have a good 45 minute special reunion show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4510 on: April 21, 2023, 08:00:43 AM »
For a moment I was thinking I want to see Captain 7's adventures. Until I saw who the Number One is.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4511 on: April 21, 2023, 10:11:29 AM »
I think if someone were to edit together all of the scenes of the crew getting back together and hanging out, you know....the only parts people seem to be talking about positively, you'd have a good 45 minute special reunion show.

For the record, the stuff with the old Enterprise crew is not the only good thing about Picard S3 IMO.

As I said, the season was a rollercoaster of ups and downs. For me, I can look past some of the silliness and plot holes, because of the respect the TNG crew was shown here. And like I've said many times, this would have been a pretty good TNG movie. Certainly better than Insurrection or Nemesis. They even would have had a pretty good title for it: "Star Trek: The Last Generation".

I had a good time watching this season, and nothing was offensively bad unlike seasons 1 and 2.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4512 on: April 21, 2023, 10:42:51 AM »
For a moment I was thinking I want to see Captain 7's adventures. Until I saw who the Number One is.

Jack is "special counselor to the captain" or some shit.  Basically 7 wants to keep an eye on him.  Wasn't the first officer one of Geordi's daughters?  I didn't really have a problem with her.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4513 on: April 21, 2023, 10:47:03 AM »

Jack is "special counselor to the captain" or some shit.  Basically 7 wants to keep an eye on him.  Wasn't the first officer one of Geordi's daughters?  I didn't really have a problem with her.

First officer was Raffi I think. Geordi's daughter was a com office and I think Jack was just a nepo baby and could do whatever he wanted to do but is now on trial for humanities sins or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4514 on: April 21, 2023, 10:54:01 AM »
Oh yeah, Raffi.  That makes more sense.  I honestly don't remember, and I only watched it yesterday.

So that scene is setting up another spinoff series?  Is that just a rumor, or confirmed?  I could probably watch The Adventures of Captain 7 (because I could watch Jeri Ryan in just about anything) but if Raffi is her Number One and Jack is her Number Two (heh heh) then maybe not.