Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275154 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4410 on: April 07, 2023, 08:29:40 AM »
Good episode, but I'm really tired of the fact that, in this season that is supposed to be a celebration of TNG, the main character is Jack.

Fuck that guy already.

BUT WHAT IS BEHIND THE RED DOOR?!??!?!?!

Also, is it just me or does it feel like after the first episode or two, Picard himself is largely a background character? Like I'm not even sure what he's doing anymore other than reacting to things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4411 on: April 07, 2023, 09:06:36 AM »
Good episode, but I'm really tired of the fact that, in this season that is supposed to be a celebration of TNG, the main character is Jack.

Fuck that guy already.

Would you rather it was his (half) brother instead !

Offline Adami

« Reply #4412 on: April 07, 2023, 09:08:56 AM »

Fuck that guy already.

Would you rather it was his (half) brother instead !

I think he'd rather it be Picard or people from Star Trek that we're invested in.

But how cool of Beverly to basically have two gods as children. Those are some impressive eggs. Especially considering she was like 50 something when she had Jack.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 09:14:17 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4413 on: April 07, 2023, 10:07:14 AM »
I guess you could say she is crushing in the child department...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4414 on: April 07, 2023, 10:43:00 AM »

Fuck that guy already.

Jack's not the main character, he's the McGuffin.  The plot revolves around him, but most of the actual actions taken are by the other characters.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4415 on: April 07, 2023, 01:02:24 PM »
Not gonna comment on today's episode yet.

But...

FUCKIN' SOLIDS.

:rollin

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Adami

« Reply #4416 on: April 07, 2023, 01:03:12 PM »

But...

FUCKIN' SOLIDS.

I am very not into using that language in Star Trek and even I chuckled at that line.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4417 on: April 07, 2023, 05:22:40 PM »
They gave Worf some of the best lines. He stole some scenes. And Spiner’s still got his fastball.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4418 on: April 09, 2023, 01:51:01 AM »
Depict the role being difficult to win the audience over with, I still like Jack - a lot of that is to do with the actor though, think he's doing a great job.

As for the episode itself - another good one.  Things are now set up for the endgame, let's hope it nails the landing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4419 on: April 10, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »

But...

FUCKIN' SOLIDS.

I am very not into using that language in Star Trek and even I chuckled at that line.

I'm not either! I cringe every time. But on that one, I couldn't stop laughing!  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4420 on: April 10, 2023, 11:02:43 AM »
Yeah, F-bombs rarely work for me because they're usually just sprinkled into the dialogue to make it edgy or something, but her delivery was perfect.  And I hated her character pretty much the entire time she was on screen (and most of the time she wasn't).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4421 on: April 10, 2023, 01:56:12 PM »
Not to take it off topic but a great f bomb was in A Fish Called Wanda.  When Otto is driving and trying to say he's sorry. I die laughing every time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4422 on: April 11, 2023, 02:54:51 AM »

Neelix.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4423 on: April 11, 2023, 08:03:05 AM »

Neelix.
NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4424 on: April 11, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »

Neelix.

HAH!

I'll make a bet it's something dumb like the Pah-wraiths.

I can't imagine they'll make it something original, not when they can link it to some member berry from Star Trek past.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4425 on: April 11, 2023, 08:17:08 AM »

Neelix.

HAH!

I can't imagine they'll make it something original, not when they can link it to some member berry from Star Trek past.

https://youtu.be/SpPgavT5am4
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4426 on: April 11, 2023, 09:21:33 AM »
Yeah, F-bombs rarely work for me because they're usually just sprinkled into the dialogue to make it edgy or something, but her delivery was perfect.  And I hated her character pretty much the entire time she was on screen (and most of the time she wasn't).

I almost never think this, myself. Depends what your personal attitude to swearing is, possibly.

To quote comedian Frankie Boyle: "In Scotland, the word "fucking" is just a warning that a noun is on it's way"
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4427 on: April 11, 2023, 09:22:26 AM »

I almost never think this, myself. Depends what your personal attitude to swearing is, possibly.

To quote comedian Frankie Boyle: "In Scotland, the word "fucking" is just a warning that a noun is on it's way"

Depends on the context. I never mind cursing in most things, but it's weird in Star Trek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4428 on: April 11, 2023, 09:33:22 AM »

Neelix.

HAH!

If I had to make a bet I'd go with something relating back to Locutus.  And you are right it won't be anything new.

The swearing doesn't bother me, I'd rather they use proper swear words than 'Frak' which I always found unintentionally hilarious.  Unless it's actually played for laughs like "Oh, smeg. What the smegging smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me.!"  just swear proper!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:38:52 AM by soupytwist »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4429 on: April 11, 2023, 09:45:46 AM »
It's bound to be something Borg-y. It's always the bloody Borg.

This callback stuff works really well when it's really occasional (like in DS9 with Worf then tribbles) but is quite dull when the main entertainment facet of everything in the show is that it's "something we did before and you liked it so here it is again".

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4430 on: April 11, 2023, 10:13:14 AM »
Re: swearing

I always appreciated Firefly’s approach of just doing all the swearing in Chinese.  :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4431 on: April 11, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »
Right. Why would changelings curse in Terran?

Offline Adami

« Reply #4432 on: April 11, 2023, 10:58:51 AM »
Right. Why would changelings curse in Terran?

And why do changelings look like the Ad Infnitum during their first two albums?

It’s all dumb.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4433 on: April 11, 2023, 03:31:28 PM »

Neelix.

HAH!

This isn't far-fetched at all. Given the connection with changelings, I was wondering if it would be the Pah-wraiths...or...perhaps a doorway to the Prophets and the return of Sisko?

Who knows. Enjoying Season 3, but I still can't help but feel like Deep Space Nine got the shaft. Which sucks.  :lol

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4434 on: April 12, 2023, 04:41:55 AM »

Neelix.

HAH!

This isn't far-fetched at all. Given the connection with changelings, I was wondering if it would be the Pah-wraiths...or...perhaps a doorway to the Prophets and the return of Sisko?

Who knows. Enjoying Season 3, but I still can't help but feel like Deep Space Nine got the shaft. Which sucks.  :lol

Yeah.  It's always been the outside show of that period, generally different (and better) writers and who moved away from the standard Braga/Berman formula.  I read somewhere there is a rumour that a Voyager revival is in the pipeline, really?

Offline Adami

« Reply #4435 on: April 12, 2023, 06:50:52 AM »
I haven't heard anything about a voyager revival.

Best I can tell there's going to be a Starfleet Cadet or whatever show, and the current Picard dude wants to do a "legacy" show but it has not gotten a go yet and there's no details on it.

Although, if you keep pressing the matter, they might throw you a bone and do a 10 episode Neelix spin off which will be even darker and grittier than Picard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4436 on: April 12, 2023, 07:53:30 AM »
I haven't heard anything about a voyager revival.

Very much rumours when I looked into it more..
https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2023/04/07/rumor-star-trek-voyager-revival-in-development/

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4437 on: April 12, 2023, 07:57:17 AM »
Although, if you keep pressing the matter, they might throw you a bone and do a 10 episode Neelix spin off which will be even darker and grittier than Picard.

Everyones least favorite jealous sexual predator Neelix is back in more grooming storylines!  Lock up your Ocampa's.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4438 on: April 12, 2023, 08:01:22 AM »

Everyones least favorite jealous sexual predator Neelix is back in more grooming storylines!  Lock up your Ocampa's.

Hey, if falling in love with and grooming a two year old is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4439 on: April 12, 2023, 03:19:23 PM »
Apparently Cirroc Lofton is hosting The Sisko Day on May 22. Celebrating Avery Brooks/Benjamin Sisko.

The trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCUcSMHASFc (music is awesome)

Then the announcement itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2747Nbf1mX0

Any tip of the cap to Avery Brooks is cool. Not sanctioned by Paramount it seems, but in some ways, having Cirroc do it, just seems right. Curious to see if it brings Avery out of the shadows. Would love for him to at least acknowledge the impact his character had.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4440 on: April 13, 2023, 12:22:51 AM »

Hey, if falling in love with and grooming a two year old is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

:lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #4441 on: April 13, 2023, 08:46:16 AM »
So I'm pretty torn on this last episode.

I'm pretty confident that it will get rave reviews, mostly because the last 5 minutes is a nostalgia orgasm.

But yes, this show is made up of 3 elements. 1) A terrible storyline/plot, 2) Legit great character moments, 3) Nostalgia.

This episode was 80% number 1, 5% number 2 and 15% number 3. What was behind the door? Well it was already predicted by someone else in this thread and it was soooooo dumb.

Honestly, the idea behind it was interesting, but it was executed in such a quick way, lacking thought or consideration. So it didn't work for me in this context. The new cameo was meh and not very meaningful at all. Even Tuvok was a better cameo. Ah well.

I counted 1 really good character moment between Picard and Data and that's about it. And of course the nostalgia that ended the episode. It was so predictable. So telegraphed. So obvious. So cheap. I'm angry at myself for letting it work. Yea, I had the feels, even though I recognized how lazy it all was. I can't defend it at all, but it had some impact on me.

But overall, a very disappointing episode, the flaws of which will likely be overlooked because of how the last 5 minutes make people feel.

Edit: I'm actually curious just how much nostalgia they're going to cram into the last episode.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 08:53:30 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4442 on: April 13, 2023, 09:42:43 AM »
What was behind the door? Well it was already predicted by someone else in this thread and it was soooooo dumb.

Please don't tell me it was Neelix!

Offline Adami

« Reply #4443 on: April 13, 2023, 10:21:59 AM »
What was behind the door? Well it was already predicted by someone else in this thread and it was soooooo dumb.

Please don't tell me it was Neelix!

Better. It was Tuvix!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4444 on: April 13, 2023, 10:49:38 AM »
I'm actually curious just how much nostalgia they're going to cram into the last episode.
I'm not sure how much is left.

I just finished the episode.  I didn't react as negatively to it as you did (surprise!).  The last 5 minutes actually made me misty.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.