Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270745 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4375 on: March 31, 2023, 02:48:14 AM »
I don't recognize the shot of the Trill babes making out.  DS9?  I've only been through that series once.

Season 4 episode 6, "Rejoined".
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4376 on: March 31, 2023, 02:59:26 AM »
New Picard episode wasn't as good as the last 3. Still Decent!

I appreciated the added depth given to Vadic, making her slightly less like a cartoon megalomaniac and into a somewhat of a tragic villain. It's also clear that she is just a goon taking orders from the real villain. I wonder who that might be...

And props to LeVar Burton! That dude still has crazy acting chops, despite not working as a full time actor in years!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4377 on: March 31, 2023, 06:33:54 AM »
I’m sure everyone will be shocked, but I thought the episode was pretty meh.

Nothing awful about it. And I really loved the stuff between Brent and Levar. But the rest was just generic and boring.

Whatever’s backstory is cliche and uninteresting. Thus making the overall plot uncompelling to me. And while I really am digging the actor who plays Jack, I am completely over his character. He’s nothing but a living mystery box. Just mystery after mystery and not much else to go on.

Shrug.

Oh. I was initially really enjoying that surprising cameo (kudos to keeping both of them thus far under wraps) until it became pointless. Hope it comes back around in a more meaningful. The Ro cameo was great. This was just meaningless unfortunately. Hope whatever other cameos they have kept secret have more emotional weight. .
I...agree with all of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4378 on: March 31, 2023, 09:51:43 AM »
Yeah bit of a dud that one.  Stalled the plot to throw in a pointless cameo (that nobody wanted) and they gave a terrible performance too  If you are doing Changelings maybe include cameos from the show that heavily featured Changelings.....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4379 on: March 31, 2023, 09:55:53 AM »
Yeah bit of a dud that one.  Stalled the plot to throw in a pointless cameo (that nobody wanted) and they gave a terrible performance too  If you are doing Changelings maybe include cameos from the show that heavily featured Changelings.....

I get it though. 7 would go to people she trusts most and he's on that list. She's not going to find Bashir or anything, they don't know each other.

But it was pointless. I was happy to see it (I liked voyager a lot more than you) until it was revealed that it meant nothing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4380 on: March 31, 2023, 10:12:23 AM »

I get it though. 7 would go to people she trusts most and he's on that list.
She's not going to find Bashir or anything, they don't know each other.

But it was pointless. I was happy to see it (I liked voyager a lot more than you) until it was revealed that it meant nothing.

Could have just given that job to Worf.

Online Adami

« Reply #4381 on: March 31, 2023, 10:36:28 AM »
Huh? You lost me there.

Speaking of Worf, he seems like one of the OG people that they have no idea what to do with. All we got so far is that he's a pacifist who has slaughtered a ton of people in cold blood when he didn't have to. That's really all they've given us.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4382 on: March 31, 2023, 11:35:25 AM »
Huh? You lost me there.

I meant they could have used Worf instead of 7 as the person who reaches out to a former crew member, then you could have a DS9 cameo, someone whose encountered the Changelings.   Maybe no one from that cast is available though.  And yes as you've said that would have given Worf something to do.

Online Adami

« Reply #4383 on: March 31, 2023, 11:39:12 AM »
Huh? You lost me there.

I meant they could have used Worf instead of 7 as the person who reaches out to a former crew member, then you could have a DS9 cameo, someone whose encountered the Changelings.   Maybe no one from that cast is available though.  And yes as you've said that would have given Worf something to do.

Ohhh I gotcha. I thought you meant Worf instead of Tuvok. Yea, that makes sense too. Both make sense, but this way we got a pointless cameo.

I guess I'm curious who else they plan on bringing back. They've name dropped Janeway a few times, so maybe? I dunno. Or maybe end it with Sisko coming back and just deus ex machinaing it.

Also, am I remembering wrong, or were Picard and Beverly ready to just straight up execute Vadik? Insanely not only out of character from who they were on TNG but who they are on the damn show thus far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4384 on: March 31, 2023, 12:20:44 PM »

Huh? I wouldn't say Tim Russ gave a bad performance at all. He was spot on as Tuvok, and he was just as I remembered him from VOY.

I hope we get to learn the fate of real Tuvok, and I hope he is ok.

Regarding other cameos, Janeway would be logical given how many times they have mentioned her.

Here is my shot in the dark: The rogue changelings are working for Pah-Wraith possessed Dukat who somehow escaped the fire caves.:justjen I'm not sure it even makes any sense. :lol Just something about the way the head was talking to Vadic made me think of Dukat..

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4385 on: March 31, 2023, 03:24:20 PM »
Messy, I thought.

It doesn't have tension, emotional wallop or excitement, does it? It has some great acting and looks amazing, still.

I liked seeing Tuvok. He was my favourite thing on VOY along with the doctor.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4386 on: March 31, 2023, 04:32:57 PM »

Huh? I wouldn't say Tim Russ gave a bad performance at all. He was spot on as Tuvok, and he was just as I remembered him from VOY.

Yup, bad.

I reckon Shaw is dead next episode.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4387 on: March 31, 2023, 04:36:59 PM »

Also, am I remembering wrong, or were Picard and Beverly ready to just straight up execute Vadik? Insanely not only out of character from who they were on TNG but who they are on the damn show thus far.

I didn't mind that, they did at least moralise it though first, and it followed a huge dull exposition dump from Vadik on her origins, which to be honest I was just glad that was over.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4388 on: April 01, 2023, 08:32:20 AM »
I really enjoyed the last. If they are going to do this nostalgia trip this season I'm going to be really disappointed if we don't get someone from DS9 other than a small photo of Odo.

Online Adami

« Reply #4389 on: April 01, 2023, 08:52:21 AM »
I really enjoyed the last. If they are going to do this nostalgia trip this season I'm going to be really disappointed if we don't get someone from DS9 other than a small photo of Odo.

A Kira or Quark cameo wouldn't surprise me. But I'm still hoping for god Sisko to save the day and beat back the dominion a second time.

Also, this is supposed to just be a small(ish) rebel group of changelings right? Can't we have some good changelings show up to help? That would be a cool twist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4390 on: April 01, 2023, 09:20:13 AM »

A Kira or Quark cameo wouldn't surprise me. But I'm still hoping for god Sisko to save the day and beat back the dominion a second time.

Also, this is supposed to just be a small(ish) rebel group of changelings right? Can't we have some good changelings show up to help? That would be a cool twist.

Like when Hugh helped with Lore?  :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #4391 on: April 01, 2023, 09:23:59 AM »
Sure! But the borg weren’t at peace with the federation at the time. Similarly when the federation teamed up with the Jem Hadar for a mission.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4392 on: April 01, 2023, 07:41:50 PM »
What’s everyone thinking, Jack is likely part changeling? Too obvious?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4393 on: April 01, 2023, 07:43:54 PM »
What’s everyone thinking, Jack is likely part changeling? Too obvious?

I’m thinking he’s the mutated virus…he exists solely to eliminate the Changelings.

[sings] “Bred to kill…not to care…do just as we saaaaaay… [/sings]
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4394 on: April 05, 2023, 12:14:08 AM »
Did you guys hear about this? To me, it sounds about as much fun as having my arse filled with potato salad by a high pressure hose.  :azn:

https://trekmovie.com/2023/03/30/breaking-star-trek-starfleet-academy-series-officially-annnounced/

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4395 on: April 05, 2023, 03:02:24 AM »
Did you guys hear about this? To me, it sounds about as much fun as having my arse filled with potato salad by a high pressure hose.  :azn:

https://trekmovie.com/2023/03/30/breaking-star-trek-starfleet-academy-series-officially-annnounced/

Yup!

Alex Kurtzman seems hellbent on burning Star Trek to the ground on his way out the door. At this point Paramount should just take Star Trek away from him, and give it to Terry Matalas.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4396 on: April 05, 2023, 05:07:13 AM »
"Kurtzman will be co-showrunner alongside Noga Landau (creator of CW’s Nancy Drew and writer on Syfy’s The Magicians)."

I tried The Magicians a few years ago, it didn't hold my interest beyond a few episodes though.

Can we get Ira Steven Behr back on Star Trek.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4397 on: April 05, 2023, 07:05:00 AM »
Man if this is that rumored show with Tilly it's going to be a tough watch. Tilly was one of worst characters of Discovery, although she did get better in later seasons.

Online Adami

« Reply #4398 on: April 05, 2023, 07:07:13 AM »
I dunno about you guys, but I am absolutely pumped to see a crew of very diverse cadets have to work together to uncovery the deeply entrenched conspiracy and escape the ruthless fist of the Terran Empire Federation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4399 on: April 05, 2023, 08:26:47 AM »
I dunno about you guys, but I am absolutely pumped to see a crew of very diverse cadets have to work together to uncovery the deeply entrenched conspiracy and escape the ruthless fist of the Terran Empire Federation.
You might be right, but it won't be a crew of diverse cadets. It'll be 12 gung-ho, hyper-nationalistic members of Red Squad.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4400 on: April 05, 2023, 08:31:05 AM »
"Kurtzman will be co-showrunner alongside Noga Landau (creator of CW’s Nancy Drew and writer on Syfy’s The Magicians)."

I tried The Magicians a few years ago, it didn't hold my interest beyond a few episodes though.

Can we get Ira Steven Behr back on Star Trek.

The Magicians gets much better as it goes along. 

Online Adami

« Reply #4401 on: April 05, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »
You might be right, but it won't be a crew of diverse cadets. It'll be 12 gung-ho, hyper-nationalistic members of Red Squad.

From the people that made Stacey Abrams president of earth? Nah. It'll be a bunch of cadets from UCLA. I can see a bunch of hyper-nationalist Red Squad dudes being antagonists.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4402 on: April 05, 2023, 08:45:07 AM »

From the people that made Stacey Abrams president of earth? Nah. It'll be a bunch of cadets from UCLA. I can see a bunch of hyper-nationalist Red Squad dudes being antagonists.
Fair enough. I just know that Red Squad will be a huge part of it. I'm thinking they're the only reason to do the Academy show in the first place. Probably the Sec 31 recruiter factors into it, as well, so we can spin off to an official 24 set in the new Star Trek universe.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4403 on: April 05, 2023, 08:59:31 AM »
I would much rather see a show about Captain Shaw and his crew.  Star Trek: Titan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4404 on: April 05, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »
I would much rather see a show about Captain Shaw and his crew.  Star Trek: Titan.

Totally.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4405 on: April 05, 2023, 02:59:04 PM »

Yeah.  But I don't think Shaw is going to survive much longer.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4406 on: April 06, 2023, 07:01:07 AM »

Completely agree

Online Adami

« Reply #4407 on: April 06, 2023, 10:12:23 AM »
And to shock you all even more.....I actually liked about 75% of the newest episode.

I won't go into spoilers, so I'll be brief.

I still think the plot with Vadik or whatever and Jack and all of that is REALLY dumb and I just can't get into it.

The character moments are great and luckily this episode focused on that. Some great stuff with every original member and I loved it so much. Loved how it ended (minus the ending with the Jack plot) and looking forward to where it goes.

There was a scene with Riker and Troi (Not much of a spoiler there) and before he started talking I remember thinking that if he calls her that term again I'm going to scream since he only called her it occasionally originally and now it's all he says. So then he says it and she immediately points out that she needs to teach him a new term for her. So hopefully it'll die.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4408 on: April 07, 2023, 01:41:11 AM »
Yeah, back to being great after last weeks episode, which was a bit of a dud.

There are only two episodes left. They wrapped up some things this week, but still they have to wrap a lot of plot threads in just two episodes.

Looking forward to the final two episodes!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4409 on: April 07, 2023, 08:28:36 AM »
Good episode, but I'm really tired of the fact that, in this season that is supposed to be a celebration of TNG, the main character is Jack.

Fuck that guy already.