Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275241 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3920 on: June 24, 2022, 09:44:34 AM »
One thing that I like about the show is that, after the first ~4 episodes or so, I felt like I knew most of the main crew far better than I ever did the crew on Discovery. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3921 on: June 24, 2022, 10:00:38 AM »
One thing that I like about the show is that, after the first ~4 episodes or so, I felt like I knew most of the main crew far better than I ever did the crew on Discovery.

Yep. Way better writing and acting.....you can certainly 'feel' the characters more which makes you get into them and care more. I bolded 'acting' because if this series does anything it has shown that Discovery and Picard (outside of Stewart and Ryan to an extent) fall WAY short in the acting department.....the folks cast in those roles are simply not good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3922 on: June 24, 2022, 11:01:56 AM »

Yep. Way better writing and acting.....you can certainly 'feel' the characters more which makes you get into them and care more. I bolded 'acting' because if this series does anything it has shown that Discovery and Picard (outside of Stewart and Ryan to an extent) fall WAY short in the acting department.....the folks cast in those roles are simply not good.

I don't agree with that to be honest, most of the actors in the modern shows are better than several of the 80's and 90's shows casts.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3923 on: June 24, 2022, 11:04:13 AM »
I liked the newest episode. Very classic Trek. Not amazing, but a lot of fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3924 on: June 24, 2022, 11:10:31 AM »

I don't agree with that to be honest, most of the actors in the modern shows are better than several of the 80's and 90's shows casts.

While that may be true....there's not a single actor/actress on Discovery for instance that is believable in their role....or compelling....or that does anything to bring the character to life. They're just reading a script. SNW on the other hand is choc full of actors/actresses that are believable and that near immediately forced the viewer to connect with them.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3925 on: June 24, 2022, 01:14:53 PM »
I'd argue Doug Jones and Wilson Cruz are doing good work on Discovery. But I mostly agree with you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3926 on: June 24, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »
I'd argue Doug Jones and Wilson Cruz are doing good work on Discovery. But I mostly agree with you.

I can see the argument for Doug Jones as Saru is probably the most interesting character on the show....and he plays him well.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3927 on: June 24, 2022, 03:45:09 PM »

While that may be true....there's not a single actor/actress on Discovery for instance that is believable in their role....or compelling....or that does anything to bring the character to life. They're just reading a script. SNW on the other hand is choc full of actors/actresses that are believable and that near immediately forced the viewer to connect with them.

I'd still have to disagree.  You've highlighted Stewart as one of the strengths, personally thought he was one of the weakness, probably an age thing, but he just looked lost most of the time.  Whereas Cabrera was great, but given barely anything to work with - then dumped from the show.  The writing is the problem, not the actors.  No one phones it in like Beltran and is as hopeless as McFadden!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3928 on: June 24, 2022, 04:21:28 PM »
I'd still have to disagree.  You've highlighted Stewart as one of the strengths, personally thought he was one of the weakness, probably an age thing, but he just looked lost most of the time.  Whereas Cabrera was great, but given barely anything to work with - then dumped from the show.  The writing is the problem, not the actors.  No one phones it in like Beltran and is as hopeless as McFadden!!

Let me clarify something and that is I was speaking more towards Discovery than Picard because despite how bad Discovery was/has gotten....I could still finish the season. I can't say the same for Picard....S2 was SO bad that I think I stopped watching on Ep. 3? Maybe Ep. 2.....it was just horrible. And you're right....Stewart isn't all that good in it. I mentioned him because of his pedigree.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3929 on: June 24, 2022, 04:48:09 PM »

I hard disagree on this, honestly. I think the majority of the Disco actors are great, it's the heavy-handed style and direction of the show that lets them (and us) down.

I feel the same about Picard. And Patrick Stewart is the least watchable actor in it, for me.

The actors on SNW also seem good, but it's a bit early for me to tell as I've only seen 2 eps.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3930 on: June 24, 2022, 09:26:25 PM »
To their credit they really are trying to be faithful to the original designs.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3931 on: June 24, 2022, 10:49:00 PM »
That's something I noticed right away in ST:D when they were on The Enterprise.  The bridge is basically the same design but with lots more lights and panels that light up for no particular reason.  But with the helm and the big curving rail and everything else in correct (or approximately correct) proportions, it looks like an updated version of the TOS Enterprise bridge.  Which is exactly what it is.  The bulkheads and engineering are similar.  They absolutely evoke the original sets.

The crew quarters, on the other hand, are ridiculous.  I think Capt. Pike's quarters are bigger than the first house my wife and I had.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3932 on: June 27, 2022, 01:28:23 AM »
So I've watched the first 3 episodes of SNW and it's good isn't it?  I'd probably say it's a tad safe right now, but that's fine as it's still introducing us to the cast.  As for the cast I love  - Pike (obviously), Spock (who seems much more playful than Quinto's) and Nurse Chapel are the early standouts.  I also like Number 1, Uhura and the blind engineer (Hemmer?).  I'm not so keen on the Doctor and the Noonien-Singh relative.   Can't really comment on the Helmswoman or Kirk Bro as they haven't really had any focus yet.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3933 on: June 30, 2022, 04:05:43 PM »
Watched the third episode tonight.

Enjoyed it the most so far.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3934 on: June 30, 2022, 04:16:39 PM »
Still need to see the newest episode, but overall I'd say it's not the best ST show by a stretch. It has great moments and meh moments. But...it's an actual ST show. Which, as far as I feel, is the first real ST show since Enterprise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3935 on: June 30, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »
Still need to see the newest episode, but overall I'd say it's not the best ST show by a stretch. It has great moments and meh moments. But...it's an actual ST show. Which, as far as I feel, is the first real ST show since Enterprise.

I wouldn’t say it’s *THE* best, but I stand by my claim that it’s the best ST TV show in 30 years hands down.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #3936 on: June 30, 2022, 04:24:17 PM »

I wouldn’t say it’s *THE* best, but I stand by my claim that it’s the best ST TV show in 30 years hands down.

It's better than DS9 and Voyager and some of TNG?

I mean.....no? It's hard to compare 6-7 episodes (or whatever it's been) to 4 years of Enterprise, but if you want to say it's better than Enterprise, I'd let that go.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3937 on: June 30, 2022, 05:11:10 PM »

I mean.....no? It's hard to compare 6-7 episodes (or whatever it's been) to 4 years of Enterprise, but if you want to say it's better than Enterprise, I'd let that go.

It was not my intention to include later TNG…guess I was rounding up from 28. But yes…I personally love it more than anything that has come around and since TNG

Offline Adami

« Reply #3938 on: June 30, 2022, 05:23:54 PM »
Wow.

I mean, glad you’re loving it!

Obviously disagree with you but I’m very much enjoying the show. So win win.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3939 on: June 30, 2022, 08:32:09 PM »
Latest episode is pretty good, although I will say that I'm not really digging the massive retconning of The Gorn.  I still think that it was a mistake for them to use The Gorn, a species encountered only once in TOS, but in a very memorable episode.  And in that episode, because it was TOS, The Gorn were just not very scary.  They -- actually "it" -- was slow and moved like original 60's rubber-suit Godzilla.  In SNW, every time they try to build up the scariness factor, the primal fear supposedly inspired by just mentioning The Gorn, I have to stifle a laugh.  Kirk managed to defeat The Gorn in single combat, although admittedly the conditions of the Arena affected both combatants.  But really, if Kirk had faced one of The Gorn from tonight's episode, it would've been over in seconds.

Otherwise, pretty good episode.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3940 on: June 30, 2022, 08:58:18 PM »
I loved it.

Come on…seriously. TOS was over 50 years ago. Let’s not forget that TNG retconned the Klingon’s considerably and people have grown to love it. The Gorn acted like a guy in a gorilla suit because IT WAS a guy in a gorilla suit. If there was a villain that desperately needed to be retconned, it was the Gorn.

I’m sad about a couple of developments, but I will keep things spoiler free until a few more people catch up.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3941 on: June 30, 2022, 09:20:23 PM »
They could've just come up with another species that we've never heard of, and La'an's terrified expression every time they're mentioned would work.  We'd get it, they're scary.  Instead, she looks about ready to wet herself whenever someone mentions The Gorn and I picture the rubber-suit dude from TOS moving in slow motion, and it's hilarious.  I'm pretty sure that's not the effect they're going for.

With the Klingons, the look was updated, but mostly it was a matter of filling in the lore behind them.  I thought TNG did that very well, just as TOS explored the Vulcans and DS9 the Cardassians and the Bajorans.  There was no need to backfill The Gorn, though.  I was thinking it would be the Andorians this series, but they went with The Gorn instead.  Oh well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3942 on: June 30, 2022, 09:34:49 PM »
Seems to me the bigger issue is that they keep knowing about things they didn't know about 15 years later. Kirk had never heard of the Gorn. Spock's first words when the Metrons started broadcasting the fight should have "holy shit, it's a Gorn!" The episode I watched tonight made reference to a practical joke involving a tribble. These things seem to happen a lot. They're borrowing a great deal from TOS, while at the same time completely ignoring TOS. I'm not bagging on the show, I'm really digging it, I just can't help but notice these things. It's like next week the Borg will show up or something.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3943 on: June 30, 2022, 10:24:15 PM »
Loved the episode. Loved the call back / comparison to ALIENS. The dirty refugee girl, the scared member of the crew acting like Hudson…..using the ventilation shafts……fun stuff. Thought the story was fun also. I’m glad the whole gorn thing doesn’t bother me because I’ve never seen an episode of the TOS……my exposure to that crew was all the movies.

This series has been excellent so far. Anson Mount as Pike is just killing it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3944 on: June 30, 2022, 10:46:31 PM »
It's the hair.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3945 on: July 01, 2022, 07:21:18 AM »
It's the hair.

:lol   Well yeah....it's quite the style. But in all seriousness, his charisma as an actor and just overall 'quality' of the way he portrays that role is fantastic. Honestly, I know I keep harping on it but the entire cast on this show are noticeably more talented actors than in Discovery and Picard. I know it has a some to do with the writing but for whatever reason this case seems more 'professional' than the others.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3946 on: July 01, 2022, 12:20:29 PM »
Loved the homage to Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 - there were scenes inspired by all 3. As Jammindude said, VERY sad about a latest development - but totally my favorite ST since TNG.

And wow, never seen an episode of TOS? How could you possibly relate to what was going on in the movies??

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3947 on: July 01, 2022, 12:26:34 PM »

Yes

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3948 on: July 01, 2022, 04:03:16 PM »
It's the hair.

:lol   Well yeah....it's quite the style. But in all seriousness, his charisma as an actor and just overall 'quality' of the way he portrays that role is fantastic. Honestly, I know I keep harping on it but the entire cast on this show are noticeably more talented actors than in Discovery and Picard. I know it has a some to do with the writing but for whatever reason this case seems more 'professional' than the others.

In all seriousness, I agree.  This cast is really going for it, and while I don't always agree with their choices, at least they're more interesting and dynamic than Discovery's main cast ever was.  Discovery had a few standout characters for sure (Lorca, Georgiou, Saru) but overall felt really bland to me.  All style, no substance.  Picard had a crew of potentially very interesting characters who, together, were just not very interesting most of the time.  SNW is entertaining most of the time.  Not perfect, but fun.  And Captain Pike's hair is a big part of that.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3949 on: July 01, 2022, 04:14:29 PM »
The thing that has impressed me the most about SNW is the quality of the writing; it’s very TOS inspired. Like is DC Fontana’s kid working for this show or something?  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #3950 on: July 02, 2022, 07:54:24 AM »
Another really good episode.

Can't say I'm fond of Sam Kirk, but I've come around to the rest of the cast. Including Hemmer, so that was sad.

Also torn on Spock. He's just not Spock...at all.....but he's a good character in his own right. If he was a different Vulcan, say like...Spork...or something, cool. But there's just little in common with Spock and it's glaring. I mean, I guess at this point no one's been able to play Spock well except for Leonard, I just wish someone could.

But yea, good episode. Lots of Aliens stuff, and sad to see Hemmer go. Hopefully the Borg don't show up next week.  :lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3951 on: July 02, 2022, 09:38:25 AM »
The Spock thing doesn’t bother me because that dude is killing it acting wise. As you mention, no one is going to be able to nail Nemoy’s portrayal so I think folks just have to get over and past that IMO. It’s a good character and fits the show perfectly.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3952 on: July 05, 2022, 08:59:39 AM »
Episode 4 was a real good one.  Still yet to be won over by La'an Noonien-Singh (angry girl is angry) or Doctor M'Benga (completely outshone by Nurse Chapel) yet though.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3953 on: July 06, 2022, 04:00:18 PM »
I really enjoyed episode 4.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3954 on: July 06, 2022, 04:10:48 PM »
Episode 4 was a real good one.  Still yet to be won over by La'an Noonien-Singh (angry girl is angry) or Doctor M'Benga (completely outshone by Nurse Chapel) yet though.

I didn’t like her at first but I dig her now. I always liked the doctor. Just has a very kind energy to him. Miss that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com