Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 276231 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3850 on: May 14, 2022, 01:22:38 PM »
I’d say the writing is more important. But I agree the cast is also much much better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3851 on: May 14, 2022, 09:30:54 PM »
I just got done watching the second episode and I have to say I am really and truly impressed!

Seriously! Was it really that hard to create some thing that felt like Star Trek?

One nuance in particular that leaped out at me was this sort of balance of logic and faith without necessarily picking a side. That was something the original shows did so well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3852 on: May 20, 2022, 08:31:19 PM »
Loving episode 3!

I honestly thought they would never figure it out, but they did it!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3853 on: May 20, 2022, 08:57:48 PM »
Watched a 4 minute clip of SNW on YT this afternoon. It didn't offend me, which nowadays says a lot. The modern cinematic style of twirling, rotating, and spinning around asteroids bugs me. And Spock simply doesn't sound right. I suspect the guy that plays him does a fine job of getting the character across, but the voice is wrong. Still, it seemed a step in the right direction. That's something, honestly.

I also watched the final scenes with Picard and Q. That's the only bit of PIC S2 I've seen. I'm glad that if ended with Picard finally showing a bit of kinship for the guy. I thought after Tapestry a bit of mutual admiration and kinsmenship had been established, and yet every time Q showed up Picard's response is always "oh, FFS, WTF do you want now." Over the last 30+ years I think Q has been the better of them. Good that JLP came around, and a nice way for them to go out. At the same time, why all the rigmarole? It seems to me that if you have to go and watch different interpretations of the ending just to guess what it meant then it's probably not good television. Q had to die. Unknown implications for the Continuum. Something to do with the Borg and the Borg Queen+some other chick. It sounds so convoluted, and has been described as so awful I don't really care to find out what it all means. I'd have rather just seen a great episode of ST. Hell, a two-parter would have been great. A sequel to All Good Things, if you will. Didn't need to be 10 hours long with a lot of pointless filler.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3854 on: May 20, 2022, 09:09:27 PM »
Finished episode three and I’m just giddy.

It’s just so warm and fuzzy and kind of nostalgic and I think I’m just buying all into it. The skeptics among you might be able to pick it apart a little more, but to me this just feels like a perfect balance between TOS and TNG. In fact, it really is in many ways like TOS 2.0…. But after so many movies and shows of utter crap I feel like this is a very welcome return the form. And that’s coming from somebody who’s been kinder to the recent material than some of you. I actually somewhat like Pikard but I kind of have to squint sometimes. I absolutely love the first film in JJ Abrams reboot, but the two follow-ups failed to connect with me at all. Discovery is terrible. I’m a bit more forgiving of Picard but I’m not completely blind to its flaws either.

But suffice to say that BNW has rekindled a big spark in me.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3855 on: May 21, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
Makes me super happy to hear this positivity for SNW. Got about a month's wait here in the UK.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

« Reply #3856 on: May 21, 2022, 08:48:41 AM »
Loving episode 3!

Yup. Another good episode!

Though, the Andorian is getting a bit annoying. Dunno why they NEED the super arrogant condescending character, but oh well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3857 on: May 21, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »
I enjoy SNW as a whole, however none of the characters so far do anything for me. If next episode they swapped the entire cast and kept everything else the same, I wouldn't care and enjoy it as much, unless the acting is worse. But the feel and atmosphere is there so hopefully they win me over.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3858 on: May 21, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
Loving episode 3!

Though, the Andorian is getting a bit annoying. Dunno why they NEED the super arrogant condescending character, but oh well.

Oh come now. In TOS, that was Spock!  ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #3859 on: May 21, 2022, 10:15:18 AM »
Loving episode 3!

Oh come now. In TOS, that was Spock!  ;D

Nimoy pulled it off and made you love him. Maybe this guy will over time. Hope so!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3860 on: May 21, 2022, 12:19:11 PM »
Loving episode 3!

For some reason, I remember being an arrogant douche as a typical Andorian trait..I could totally be wrong here of course.

Also another solid episode, totally agree. Glad they're not trying to establish some huge story arc and just having fun with it for a change.

Online Adami

« Reply #3861 on: May 21, 2022, 01:41:53 PM »
Loving episode 3!

For some reason, I remember being an arrogant douche as a typical Andorian trait..I could totally be wrong here of course.

Also another solid episode, totally agree. Glad they're not trying to establish some huge story arc and just having fun with it for a change.

You're totally right for the most. The only other Andorian we've spent any actual time with was Shran. I guess Jeffrey Combs just gave him such charm that his arrogance didn't annoy me haha. But yea, he was an arrogant little twat. So it tracks. I just want to like all the characters, and I'm even coming around to the Khan girl. I just need to get on board with the Andorian and Nurse Chapple.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3862 on: May 21, 2022, 05:07:55 PM »
Loving episode 3!

You're totally right for the most. The only other Andorian we've spent any actual time with was Shran. I guess Jeffrey Combs just gave him such charm that his arrogance didn't annoy me haha. But yea, he was an arrogant little twat. So it tracks. I just want to like all the characters, and I'm even coming around to the Khan girl. I just need to get on board with the Andorian and Nurse Chapple.

The Khan girl has this serious Camina Drummer vibe from the Expanse, so I think she'll end up being a favorite for me.

I don't know why the Andorian/douche thing was triggered in me, but it just seemed to fit  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3863 on: May 21, 2022, 07:29:05 PM »
I liked Episode 3 pretty much overall.  Number One's monologuing went on a bit too long for my taste, and for a moment I was ready to call Michael Burnham-level rambling, but then it stopped finally and it was okay.

Brave New Worlds?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3864 on: May 22, 2022, 02:04:35 PM »
Not much to add about the third Ep. of BNW. It’s just a solid, well done show thus far. The other streaming ST incarnations come nowhere close to being this good. It’s pretty glaring how bad they are now just compared to this show which isn’t the next coming by any means but it’s good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3865 on: May 22, 2022, 04:02:28 PM »
I like that they keep trying new things with Star Trek.  A lot of what they've done lately hasn't worked for me (and apparently not for a lot of people) but hey, they tried the heavily serialized thing, and some of it worked.  They've got the animated, they gone prequel, sequel (or whatever TF Discovery is now), and now it's back to good old-fashioned episodic Trek, and it's pretty good stuff.

And it certainly helps that they've got some decent writing, finally.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3866 on: May 22, 2022, 04:09:14 PM »
I liked Episode 3 pretty much overall.  Number One's monologuing went on a bit too long for my taste, and for a moment I was ready to call Michael Burnham-level rambling, but then it stopped finally and it was okay.

Brave New Worlds?

WHOOPS!  :rollin

SNW

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3867 on: May 22, 2022, 04:28:47 PM »
And it certainly helps that they've got some decent writing, finally.

That, and the quality of actors is a factor as well. You can have the best writing in the world but if you don’t have actors who can convey what’s in the page in a genuine, believable manner…..it won’t matter.

SNW has both and it’s refreshing. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3868 on: May 23, 2022, 03:56:26 AM »

How's the actually show episode storytelling so far?  Are they pure old school Trek of complete individual stories per episode (where everything resets at the end), or is there an arc, and things hangover from episode to episode.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3869 on: May 23, 2022, 04:28:55 AM »
I'm a little late to the party, but watched Ep1 of SNW a couple days ago finally (so glad that CTV Sci-Fi picked it up here in Canadia).  Loved it.  One of the things I truly enjoyed was their use of new tech, while also remaining faithful to what would've been pre-TOS tech.  Well done on the show's part.  Also loved the callbacks ... "It's now called The Prime Directive".

As someone who has seen not even 1 second of Discovery, am I correct to assume they used an event from *that* show as the launching point for SNW - similar to how Wolf 359 was used as a launching point for DS9?  Not super relevant in the grand scheme of things, but a story point from one show that demonstrates a mild connection to the new show?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3870 on: May 23, 2022, 06:42:33 AM »
As someone who has seen not even 1 second of Discovery, am I correct to assume they used an event from *that* show as the launching point for SNW - similar to how Wolf 359 was used as a launching point for DS9?  Not super relevant in the grand scheme of things, but a story point from one show that demonstrates a mild connection to the new show?

Pike and Spock were on Discovery for a stint.....Spock is the step brother of the Captain of Discovery and was a recurring character for a while there, Pike showed up for a bit......but, given the storyline and what happened with Discovery they'll (Pike, Spock...this time period) will never see anyone from Discovery again and all records of Discovery and her crew have been wiped from the Federation records.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3871 on: May 23, 2022, 12:47:26 PM »

How's the actually show episode storytelling so far?  Are they pure old school Trek of complete individual stories per episode (where everything resets at the end), or is there an arc, and things hangover from episode to episode.

So far, I’d say the stories are definitely episodic…but there’s also character development along the way, which appears to be more arcing. Too early to say.

Online Adami

« Reply #3872 on: May 23, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »
Yea. Plot wise everything wraps up (so far after three episodes) but characters don’t just reset. They seem to grow and carry on that growth. But again, too early to say for sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3873 on: June 02, 2022, 09:19:59 PM »
Ok…I have not been *emotional* about Star Trek in a very long LONG time. But I’m truly getting emotional about this series now.

The moment the old school music kicked in on the opening sequence, the last tumbler fell.

I AM COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH THIS SHOW AND WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT IT ENOUGH!!!!

I have liked some shows and I have not liked others, but it is absolutely upsetting to me that people are not glowing about this show. I feel like a Dream Theater fan who just heard Images and Words for the very first time.

And yet…there’s a terrible fear I have that if I oversell it, anyone who listens to me will be underwhelmed. UGH!!!

But again…the music in that first sequence just had me completely giddy!!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3874 on: June 03, 2022, 07:06:43 AM »
Yeah.....SNW is really well done. And while the writing is MUCH better than Picard and Discovery.....I'll still maintain that it also has to do with the quality of actors they've cast. All the best written lines in the world mean nothing if you don't have actors/actresses that can deliver them in a convincing, sincere way. This cast is legit and are killing it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3875 on: June 03, 2022, 07:51:55 PM »
This episode was pretty fun, though I think at times it might've gotten a bit too much... something.  When Spock and T'Pring swapped bodies and each had to impersonate the other, it was bordering on camp.  But it was well done camp.  The countless bonding moments between the various pairings of other crew members were often less serious than I might have liked, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I guess.  I did find myself laughing a lot more than I thought I would.  I mean, I was expecting to see a bunch of stuff that was just dumb and/or far-fetched, and a lot of it was, but again it was done so well that I found myself enjoying it anyway.  So that's a win.

Of note is that this episode doesn't actually retcon what we see later in the TOS episode Amok Time.  It's entirely possible that Spock and T'Pring come away from this experience feeling much better about each other, themselves, and their relationship, and years later after things haven't actually gotten any better, T'Pring still decides that Spock isn't worth it.

That last scene when Una and La'an are out on the hull and see that solar vessel cruise right over them... wow!  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3876 on: June 03, 2022, 08:19:16 PM »
Did anyone else catch the musical Easter egg in the Spock vs Spock battle?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3877 on: June 03, 2022, 10:36:37 PM »
Yeah, that was cool.

Online Adami

« Reply #3878 on: June 05, 2022, 05:20:40 PM »
Latest episode was good fun. Only issue is that Spock and T’pring had SO similar personalities that swapping bodies just felt pointless.

Also I feel like I’m every ST iteration since JJ, Vulcans talking always feel like people trying to win an argument even if no one’s arguing. Bleh but such is life.

I also look up the writers for each episode. No one so far that has also worked on Disco or Picard. I hope they keep that up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3879 on: June 06, 2022, 08:57:27 PM »
Checked out the first two episodes of SNW when it came out. I wanted to watch a current Star Trek while I'm still making my way through the 90's.

I talked my wife into starting it with me, she enjoys sci-fi but always felt like she's got way too much to catch up with to watch the other shows with me. However, this time I told her there's no way this is gonna need any background, it happens before TOS, so she was sold on it. Fuck that I know, after watching the first episode I found out the guy playing Pike has been on several Discovery episodes so we decided to watch Discovery as well, the previous deterrent to Discovery being my inability to stand Sasha's acting.

So we watched the first two episodes of SNW and the first 6 episodes of Discovery, before I had to travel for work again.

I've long been kinda confused when a Trekkie describes a Star Trek media as "Not really Star Trek", at some point I thought they meant something wasn't canon. I've seen that line used about several shows/movies but most commonly about DS9.

Now that I've seen the overwhelming positive response for SNW on social media, way surpassing Discovery, which I've heard more bad than good about from Trekkies, I feel like I may be closer to understanding what the line means.

You guys can correct me if I'm wrong; "Not really Star Trek", means:
- The seasons have an overarching story, hardcore Trekkies seem to prefer standalone episodes.
- It carries some negative views of the Federation.
- Contains dark themes and/or imagery.
- Absence, or scarcity, of themes and meanings that reflect on real world issues.
- It is not entirely focused on space exploration.

I did enjoy SNW, but I found Discovery to be vastly superior. SNW is a self-aware TOS. TOS was great for me cause it was a natural product of it's time in terms of the way the episodes were produced and the scripts were constructed. SNW felt like it was custom-made for the "Not really Star Trek" folks, which is not a bad thing at all, I'm an avid supporter of well-labored fan-service.

Another, or possibly the same, group of people I felt SNW was made for, are The Orville fans, people who wanted the new Star Trek shows to be more like The Orville, since The Orville closely followes TOS format with a decent layer of TNG on top. But while I love The Orville; I really don't want that much "funny" in Star Trek, every fuckin character is either witty or sets up another character to be witty. I remember Pike from the The Cage, he's not that.. Kirky? Hell even Kirk is not that Kirky! The Pike I remember was kinda broody, distant from the crew and spoke in ab almost militaristic tone. This fuckin guy is cozy as fuck! And the actor is 100% channeling some George Clooney, which makes matters worse heh

I almost asked my wife to inject me with an adrenaline shot through the heart cause I almost overdosed on retcon, dangerous drug. There's easily more retconning in SNW than the Metal Gear Solid series, which previously held the title for most in-your face retconning. Again, not bad, since it still all falls in line with what we know from TOS. I kinda like the idea of Pike is aware of his fate from The Menagerie.

I'd talk a bit of Discovery but unfortunately I gotta go. But on a lighter quicker note, I do have to say there's something fundamentally "not Star Trek" about it, other than the points from above, which is that in Star Trek we had agreed that ALL ALIEN RACES SPEAK ENGLISH.. universal translator goes to English whether the aliens are around Earth folk or not, that is my MY STAR TREK! The only time I ever wanna hear someone speaking in Klingon is when Picard is yelling at a Klingon in Klingon, that's about it.
I'm kidding of course, I thought the language stunt was pretty neat.
They also took away the Klingon's beautiful luscious hair and unreasonable power structure, bull shit. Even Klingon women went to shit, remember the Duras sisters? easily the hottest thing I've ever seen on Star Trek, new female Klingons are.. meh.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3880 on: June 06, 2022, 09:22:31 PM »
Ehh….first season of Discovery wasn’t bad…..second was decent……but since then it’s a mess. There’s quite a bit of co tent in this thread detailing why so no need to rehash……simply put…..it’s Horribly written and acted.

Up to this point SNW is both better written and acted. But, to each his own when it comes to what you dig.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3881 on: June 06, 2022, 10:16:24 PM »
Progmetty

You should at least check the newest episode of The Orville. Seth pretty much jettisoned the comedy altogether. At first he was trying to do his homage to TNG with a bit of his own style of humor wrapped around it…but I think since he knows this is his last hurrah, he’s doubled down on the drama and made a pretty heavy intro to his third and final season. I’m curious to see what you’d think. I don’t think I laughed once. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3882 on: June 07, 2022, 06:46:07 AM »
Question I forgot to ask ….. Samuel Kirk?  I suppose I could Google it, but ???

Also, After just having watch Momento Mori, I kinda wish they hadn’t gone back to some of the original characters. The final ‘cliffhanger’ moment of did-they-make-it re: Hammer and Ohura was slightly anti-climactic.  Also, I’m going to assume that The Gorn will be this franchises Borg or Dominion.

Still, 4 pretty excellent episodes so far. I didn’t read all of the above posts, but I’m guessing I’m up for a Spock’s Beard inspired episode next.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #3883 on: June 07, 2022, 06:47:34 AM »
Sam is Kirk's brother. He didn't really have much story in TOS, other than dying. They went to a planet where Sam lived with this family and some weird alien things killed most of them including Sam. That's about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3884 on: June 07, 2022, 07:04:54 AM »
Sam is Kirk's brother. He didn't really have much story in TOS, other than dying. They went to a planet where Sam lived with this family and some weird alien things killed most of them including Sam. That's about it.

Gotchya.  So, again... nice fan service, but nothing too threatening involving him will happen if this series is also canon to TOS.  Again, I didn't watch Discovery, but seem to recall there were some timeline deviations introduced.  So, is SNW linear to TOS?