Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 274877 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3815 on: May 06, 2022, 07:03:52 AM »
Like normal Wesley or god of the Travelers Wesley?

I've read some reviews and it's all over the place. What I've read sounds awful though.

Yeah it was pretty bad, I mean the previous episode was worse - so there's that.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3816 on: May 06, 2022, 08:42:28 AM »
Guess I'll watch it next year or whenever season 3 comes out.

Anyone watch Strange New Worlds yet? I haven't had the time yet, but I hope to soon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3817 on: May 06, 2022, 08:56:32 AM »
Anyone watch Strange New Worlds yet? I haven't had the time yet, but I hope to soon.

Nope....not yet. Was going to last night but ran out of time. Will probably watch soon though.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3818 on: May 06, 2022, 10:24:15 AM »
If only Amazon Prime had SNW instead of Picard. :\ Paramount+ is still not available in my country. SNW has been getting good reviews so far, and I would be interested in watching that.

Maybe I should brace myself and watch the final Picard episode. It can't get any worse than the last week's episode!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3819 on: May 06, 2022, 09:21:37 PM »
Im halfway through the first episode and so far I really think it is the only new show that captures the spirit of the original…with some obvious modernization.

I hate Discovery
I love Lower Decks
But I also really like Picard, so maybe I’m not a good judge.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3820 on: May 06, 2022, 09:33:26 PM »
….not necessarily a bad thing, but as the show goes on, they are CLEARLY turning Pike into Kirk 2.0.

A minor flaw in not making him his own character. But otherwise an enjoyable show. Possibly a bit of a retread??? But with how “un-Star Trek” Star Trek has been, it feels welcome to me.

Online Adami

« Reply #3821 on: May 06, 2022, 09:34:20 PM »
You loved Picard season 2 or just 1?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3822 on: May 06, 2022, 09:49:30 PM »
You loved Picard season 2 or just 1?

“Really like”….let’s not get carried away. It may have something to do with the dress the blonde was wearing.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Look…I acknowledge it’s not any level of brilliance, but there are aspects I’m enjoying.

Re: SNW….if you’re into “retro” they nailed the ending. Right down to the Kirk “moral of the story” cheesy speech at the end. And, another angle my family REALLY LOVED…there was nobody dying a grizzly death at the business end of a Batleth.

You seriously have to be in an old school state of mind, but I really loved the first episode. Best new ST series that isn’t The Orville.  :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3823 on: May 06, 2022, 11:05:43 PM »
And re:Picard

I’m on a break from the final episode. And I was REALLY SUPER MASSIVELY hating the way it was going…

…and then at the halfway point something happened that made me “squee” like a girl.

Don’t know how it ends yet

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3824 on: May 06, 2022, 11:36:29 PM »
Final thoughts on Picard

I thought thought the primary story arc was deeply flawed…but the individual subplots were a joy. Picard and Q’s final interaction, Jurati’s arc, Rios’ story, Soong and his daughter, the surprise walk on of the last person I expected…all those individual things made it worth the price of admission.

But I’ll admit, the main story…the time travel, Renee’s story..etc etc. really fell flat.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3825 on: May 07, 2022, 12:27:01 AM »
I watched the final episode of Picard S2, and while it wasn't good, it was not the absolute rock bottom of EP9.

That being said, I really liked the final interaction of Picard and Q. While it was super cheesy, I liked the line "Even gods have favorites"! Shows that despite everything, Q has always respected Picard.

Credit where credit is due.

Online Adami

« Reply #3826 on: May 07, 2022, 08:33:33 AM »
Watched episode 1 of SNW.

Not bad. Some dumb moments, and feels like a prequel to the Kelvin movies more than anything else. I didn't like the Khan girl, whoever she is, very much at all, but the rest of the cast is good. They really struck gold with Anson Mount. And it did have the spirit of Star Trek, for the most part.

I could have done without the 2021/2022 politics is bad! moment, but it was quick enough and not super highlighted.

Overall, worth watching. Hope it continues like this. Pretty good, and definitely benefits being compared to Picard and Discovery, because without those two,  I think this would largely be seen as mediocre, but people will think it's amazing when compared to those two.

Edit: The Kirk twist was cute, though I hope it's not a big part of the story.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3827 on: May 07, 2022, 09:19:20 AM »
Watched episode 1 of SNW.

Not bad. Some dumb moments, and feels like a prequel to the Kelvin movies more than anything else. I didn't like the Khan girl, whoever she is, very much at all, but the rest of the cast is good. They really struck gold with Anson Mount. And it did have the spirit of Star Trek, for the most part.

I could have done without the 2021/2022 politics is bad! moment, but it was quick enough and not super highlighted.

Overall, worth watching. Hope it continues like this. Pretty good, and definitely benefits being compared to Picard and Discovery, because without those two,  I think this would largely be seen as mediocre, but people will think it's amazing when compared to those two.

Edit: The Kirk twist was cute, though I hope it's not a big part of the story.

See, and I thought that’s exactly what gave it the TOS feel. I think people forget that there was a lot of fairly ham fisted observations about the politics of the time. In fact, I think Star Trek was one of the original shows to actually get away with making political points on TV because they did it through the lens of an alien world.

Online Adami

« Reply #3828 on: May 07, 2022, 09:25:09 AM »
Exactly. They did it through an alien world. This was just footage of the Jan 6th riots. It’s just too damn soon honestly. Like I said, it was brief enough. Unlike making Stacey Abrams the president of the earth.  I’m just hoping for less of that. If you want to do MODERN politics, you use allegory. If you want to discuss the literal stuff, then you gotta do stuff that’s not so current.

Edit: I can't recall examples of Star Trek TOS making direct references to what was happening in the late 60's without allegory, however you may be right that they did it, and since I'm watching it in the 90's/2000's and later, it didn't hit the same way this did. So, if they really did that, I'll concede the point, but still say I don't like it. There's creative ways to do this, and I don't think that's an example of it.

I will say, I'm digging the dude playing Spock a lot more than I did Quinto, even though no one is quite able to capture that Nimoy essence. Also the doctor and Ortega or whatever her name was were standouts. Not sure if I'm going to dig their new take on Nurse Chapple. We'll have to see. She comes off as a little too Gen Z for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3829 on: May 07, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »
Sounds promising. I think Paramount+ launches here in the UK in June...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3830 on: May 07, 2022, 05:00:42 PM »

Edit: I can't recall examples of Star Trek TOS making direct references to what was happening in the late 60's without allegory, however you may be right that they did it, and since I'm watching it in the 90's/2000's and later, it didn't hit the same way this did. So, if they really did that, I'll concede the point, but still say I don't like it. There's creative ways to do this, and I don't think that's an example of it.
Assignment: Earth, with Gary Seven, the cute 60s Terri Garr, and Earth on the brink of nuclear Armageddon.

Coincidentally, I think I read somewhere that one of the new shows has a controller from the same people that sent Gary Seven our way. That right? That's actually one of the few throwback gimmicks that could actually work. They seemed interesting, and they were mentioned once and never again.

That being said, I really liked the final interaction of Picard and Q. While it was super cheesy, I liked the line "Even gods have favorites"! Shows that despite everything, Q has always respected Picard.

Credit where credit is due.
Between All Good Things and Tapestry I've always recognized a sort of kinship, even if Picard never appreciated it. Q was meddlesome, and occasionally a dick, but he did really seem to like some of them. Janeway actually came around to understanding that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3831 on: May 08, 2022, 10:59:16 AM »
Just finished ep1... Pretty good stuff. Really hope they develop their own storyline and not try to feed off of fan service.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3832 on: May 08, 2022, 11:19:46 AM »
So Picard seems to have dumped all its cast aside from Raffi, Seven and Picard for Season 3......I mean seriously what was the fucking point.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3833 on: May 08, 2022, 09:33:53 PM »
Finally got to watch it. SOOOO much better than Discovery…..like, night and day better. The key being casting and quality of actors. Obviously Anson Mount is a huge get for them…..he was awesome in ‘Hell on Wheels’ but even the other characters that spent literally seconds onscreen portrayed more believability than any character on Discovery.

Episode was cool….had the chance to get heavy handed with the anti everything America but they nipped it in the bud quick enough just to make the point.

This is promising for sure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3834 on: May 09, 2022, 07:21:00 AM »
Watched the Picard finale.  I mean, it was better than I thought it would be, and I really enjoyed the last interaction between Picard and Q.

But the show itself is not good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3835 on: May 09, 2022, 07:42:33 AM »
Watched the Picard finale.  I mean, it was better than I thought it would be, and I really enjoyed the last interaction between Picard and Q.

I may just have to knock this one out to get it out of the way. I'm pretty far behind though...only watched three episodes so far. But you're the fourth or fifth person to say that the Picard / Q interaction was something to see....so, may just need to get this one done.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3836 on: May 09, 2022, 08:49:36 AM »

I may just have to knock this one out to get it out of the way. I'm pretty far behind though...only watched three episodes so far. But you're the fourth or fifth person to say that the Picard / Q interaction was something to see....so, may just need to get this one done.

Those first 3 episodes were probably the best, certainly the first two were!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3837 on: May 09, 2022, 08:59:17 AM »
I'll go on record as saying the Picard/Q moment was really well done.

Episode was cool….had the chance to get heavy handed with the anti everything America but they nipped it in the bud quick enough just to make the point.

That they did, though that narrative was some seriously low hanging fruit for sure. (not that it's totally wrong, we got problems for sure, but still, very easy pickings)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3838 on: May 09, 2022, 09:04:11 AM »
I'll go on record as saying the Picard/Q moment was really well done.

That they did, though that narrative was some seriously low hanging fruit for sure. (not that it's totally wrong, we got problems for sure, but still, very easy pickings)

That's good to know about Picard/Q given the history and significance of that relationship.....looking forward to that. And, I'm 100% onboard with the point they were going for with the old footage and what not....like I said....I was glad to see them use it to make a good point and move on. It was 'just' enough....whereas Discovery just lingers and holds on to the point of them ruining any good point they're trying to make with the oversaturation of it. SNW just demonstrated how to do it....the audience aren't idiots and can extrapolate and figure that stuff out, doesn't need to be spoonfed.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3839 on: May 09, 2022, 09:46:42 AM »
Yeah, Discovery has left more than their fair share of dead horse corpses around. Probably why I didn't make it past S2.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3840 on: May 09, 2022, 11:48:38 AM »
Not sure if I'm going to dig their new take on Nurse Chapple. We'll have to see. She comes off as a little too Gen Z for me.

I find it interesting that both of the (on-screen) characters Majel Barrett played on TOS are in this series.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3841 on: May 09, 2022, 12:21:05 PM »

Those first 3 episodes were probably the best, certainly the first two were!
Watched ep 2 last night and thought it was meh soooooo I have low expectations to say the least lol

Online Adami

« Reply #3842 on: May 09, 2022, 12:29:43 PM »
Yea, episode 1 was...fine. Mostly just a big set up to something I was interested in, only to blow it all in the next episode.

Episode 2 was awful. I haven't seen past episode 4 I don't think, but it wasn't much worse than 3 and 4. All the pointless name dropping and changing of characters and THE WORLD IS AWFUL! stuff just isn't for me.

Someone I was watching said it best, these new Star Trek shows (at least Picard and Discovery) aren't so much writing Star Trek as they are writing ABOUT Star Trek in a Star Trek show. And it shows.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3843 on: May 10, 2022, 03:33:09 PM »
Finally watched the last two episodes of Picard Season 2.  I agree with what most people are saying.  It ended on a relatively high note, but that's faint praise because overall the season was pretty bad.  Had a few interesting ideas, even a few standout scenes, but overall it just dragged on and on, and mostly moved from one mediocre scene to the next, with genuinely bad scenes and the rare good scene thrown in for variety.  The plot holes and bad retconning, sometimes completely unnecessary, brought things down, way down.

And yet, I'll probably subject myself to Season 3, since we know it's already in the bag and that it'll be the last season.  It can't get any worse, right?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3844 on: May 10, 2022, 04:31:26 PM »
That red dress was worth the price of admission all by itself!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online Adami

« Reply #3845 on: May 10, 2022, 04:51:09 PM »
That red dress was worth the price of admission all by itself!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Not sure I wanna see P Stew in a red dress.  :P
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3846 on: May 10, 2022, 09:39:04 PM »

Absolutely the highlight of the season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3847 on: May 13, 2022, 11:15:40 PM »
Two episodes in to SNW and it’s already infinitely better than Discovery or Picard.

Online Adami

« Reply #3848 on: May 14, 2022, 12:43:49 PM »
Two episodes in to SNW and it’s already infinitely better than Discovery or Picard.

Yea, I really enjoyed the second episode.

This is what the ST reboot series should've been. If they had released this instead of Discovery or Picard, the attitude toward ST might be a lot better than it is now. Let's hope it keeps it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3849 on: May 14, 2022, 01:15:46 PM »

Yea, I really enjoyed the second episode.

This is what the ST reboot series should've been. If they had released this instead of Discovery or Picard, the attitude toward ST might be a lot better than it is now. Let's hope it keeps it up.

At this point the massive difference remains the quality of actors that were cast. The writing has been good…..much better than the other two shows…..but the standout difference is the casting. Through two episodes I’ve actually given a sh*t about the episode storyline ‘because’ of the quality of acting. That to me is the difference thus far.