Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 274038 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3535 on: January 13, 2022, 12:27:22 AM »
Disco changed alot.  In the first season it was dark, there was gore, swearing and even a Klingon nipple.  Now it's all crying, hugging and melodrama!

Pointing that out really crystallizes the oddness that is Discovery. And why I don't want it. I don't want a Trek series about crying, hugging and melodrama.  :lol

On the other hand, I expect there'll be other iterations of the franchise that fit my wants better. I flicked past Disco on Prime last night and had not the slightest pull towards it. Never mind. Not all things need to fit my wants.

EDIT: I'd have stuck with the darker tone of S1 if it were my show. The Klingons were actually scary!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 07:55:10 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3536 on: January 13, 2022, 08:41:10 AM »
They tried to do something different, but still Star Trek.  But that takes more than just using the same names, same species.  All the deviations, all the new stuff, has to be balanced by a clear adherence to the "rules", to what makes it Star Trek.  It has to still "feel" like Star Trek.

The problem is that at this point, there have been so many iterations, so many different versions, that some people seem to think that as long as you call it The United Federation of Planets and have Klingons and Andorians, you can do whatever you want and say it's still Star Trek.  And some people will eat it up.  But I totally understand those who have trouble with it and really wish it was more like the Trek they know and love.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3537 on: January 18, 2022, 02:15:11 PM »
Just read that S5 for Discovery has been ordered....so that's baffling. 'They' have to know what type of reception this show is getting?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3538 on: January 18, 2022, 02:20:59 PM »
Just read that S5 for Discovery has been ordered....so that's baffling. 'They' have to know what type of reception this show is getting?

All they care about is how many people are watching it.  And, apparently, Star Trek Discovery is their #1 show.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3539 on: January 18, 2022, 02:50:35 PM »

All they care about is how many people are watching it.  And, apparently, Star Trek Discovery is their #1 show.

I feel ashamed to be a part of that stat. But I just.....can't......stop......watching..........

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3540 on: January 19, 2022, 05:20:04 AM »
It's not a bad show as such and to be honest aside from The Expanse (which is now finished) there aren't many other top quality sci-fi shows out there right now.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3541 on: January 19, 2022, 06:02:41 AM »
They tried to do something different, but still Star Trek.  But that takes more than just using the same names, same species.  All the deviations, all the new stuff, has to be balanced by a clear adherence to the "rules", to what makes it Star Trek.  It has to still "feel" like Star Trek.

The problem is that at this point, there have been so many iterations, so many different versions, that some people seem to think that as long as you call it The United Federation of Planets and have Klingons and Andorians, you can do whatever you want and say it's still Star Trek.  And some people will eat it up.  But I totally understand those who have trouble with it and really wish it was more like the Trek they know and love.

There's no objective single source of what the "rules" that qualify something as truly Star Trek are, though. In the end it just comes down to whether individuals like it or not.

I've given up on Discovery, but not because I feel it isn't truly "Star Trek". I just stopped because I don't like it after season 2. And Picard felt like Trek to me too but I didn't like it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3542 on: January 19, 2022, 06:16:51 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

There is so much they could do with this far future era in Disco S3 and S4, if they had a bunch of competent writers. But season 3 was ultimately a disappointment and I have not seen S4 since it's not available in my country by any means.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3543 on: January 19, 2022, 06:46:46 AM »
It's not a bad show as such and to be honest aside from The Expanse (which is now finished) there aren't many other top quality sci-fi shows out there right now.

S1 was 'alright'......S2 was good and showed promise.......since then it's been a train wreck. I luv me some Sci-Fi and WANT to like this show. But it's comically bad at this point. I literally watch it only because of how bad it is. Like EB pointed out in an earlier conversation about this.....there truly must be something about how disliking a show fires off crap in your brain just like liking a show does. Because there's zero reason as far as storyline and/or acting to have continued watching this show. Yet I still do.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3544 on: January 19, 2022, 07:56:46 AM »

S1 was 'alright'......S2 was good and showed promise.......since then it's been a train wreck. I luv me some Sci-Fi and WANT to like this show. But it's comically bad at this point. I literally watch it only because of how bad it is. Like EB pointed out in an earlier conversation about this.....there truly must be something about how disliking a show fires off crap in your brain just like liking a show does. Because there's zero reason as far as storyline and/or acting to have continued watching this show. Yet I still do.

We watch it because it's Star Trek.  I higher doubt I'd have watched 7 seasons of Voyager and 4 of Enterprise if they weren't Star Trek.  In the same way I've seen roughly 15 episodes of various Star Gate shows and I have no intention of watching these shows seriously because the episodes I'd caught have generally been bad, but probably no worse than Voy/Ent on average - but I watched those shows because I'm invested in the Star Trek universe, whereas thankfully I'm not with Star Gate.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3545 on: January 25, 2022, 02:49:53 AM »
Rumours seem to be that Picard Season 2 will stay on Amazon Prime in the UK (unlike Disco 4 not being available on Netflix).  Strange New Worlds though is looking like it'll debut on Paramount+ because that streaming service should finally be up and running in the UK by then.

Outside of ST I don't think there is much (or anything) on Paramount+ that interests me.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3546 on: January 25, 2022, 08:26:41 AM »
According to the trailer I saw during a football game, Picard actually does share one commonality with Star Trek outside of person and ship names. It shares an incessant need to shoe-horn a Soong character into every corner it can. Every time Spiner plays somebody that's not Data he sucks, and they really need to figure this out. TPtB seem to think that everybody is so in love with the guy that they're doing us a favor. Not so.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3547 on: February 10, 2022, 10:52:02 AM »

In every incarnation of Star Trek the guards always stand with their backs to the door they're guarding, and they always get surprised when somebody opens the door and clobbers them. You could increase starship security tenfold simply by putting a guard across and off-center from the cell door.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3548 on: February 11, 2022, 06:49:23 PM »
Trying to defend yourself with a lightbulb doesn't work either ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3549 on: February 13, 2022, 02:43:39 PM »
Discovery resumed this week.

And GOD DAMN was it boring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3550 on: February 13, 2022, 03:46:46 PM »
Mrs. Orbert and I are still working through Discovery.  And I mean it when I say "working".  We're into Season 3, some 930 years in the future, and the sets and special effects still look great, some of the concepts and storylines are somewhat interesting, and the writing is still absolutely abyssmal.  For me, it's a chore to get through.

Meanwhile, I'm still working through DS9.  Season 5 just ended, Season 6 and the war with The Dominion has finally officially started.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3551 on: February 13, 2022, 04:25:37 PM »

Meanwhile, I'm still working through DS9.  Season 5 just ended, Season 6 and the war with The Dominion has finally officially started.
As I mentioned before, the end of 5 and the beginning of 6 is as good as it got for my money. And while it didn't really jump out at me at first, Rocks and Shoals is a top 3 episode for me.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3552 on: February 14, 2022, 12:34:24 AM »

Strange New Worlds starts in May, I think.

Dare I hope? Dare I?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3553 on: February 14, 2022, 07:36:54 AM »

Strange New Worlds starts in May, I think.

Dare I hope? Dare I?

Anson Mount has only been in a handful of episodes thus far, but honestly I'd put him in my favorite 10 Star Trek characters already - he was that good as Pike.  That's a really good starting point for the show. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 09:37:17 AM by soupytwist »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3554 on: February 14, 2022, 08:20:46 AM »
Anson Mount was great as Capt. Pike.  When that story arc on Discovery ended, I was bummed.  I would watch a series with him as Pike and the Enterprise crew before Kirk & Co., and apparently this is what they decided to do, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: February 14, 2022, 12:59:26 PM »
Anson Mount was great as Capt. Pike.  When that story arc on Discovery ended, I was bummed.  I would watch a series with him as Pike and the Enterprise crew before Kirk & Co., and apparently this is what they decided to do, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Same train of thought here. He was great.....he's pretty good in most of his roles. I haven't dug into it at all but the only thing I'd see being an issue is if it's the same batch of writers as they have on Discovery. Because, those folks are just flat horrible. And I don't even think a captivating and charismatic actor like Anson Mount can save how bad of writing they produce.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3556 on: February 15, 2022, 01:07:05 AM »
I'm guessing the oversight of the series will be the same folks so that doesn't fill me with confidence. BUT the stated aim of the show sounds like the classic Trek format. I think what they're now aiming at with Discovery is fundamentally crap (premature profundity with no foundation) so perhaps shooting for classic episodic Trek will work. Works great on Lower Decks. Fingers crossed.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3557 on: February 15, 2022, 07:21:14 AM »

Yeah....I'm probably just going to stop commenting on it. It's my bad for continuing to watch but at this point I can't stop for some reason. Despite how horrible it is. IF there are folks here that like it....more power to you....but, I don't really have anything good to say about the show. Don't want to continue to rag on it because I could just stop watching it. I just can't believe how bad it is.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3558 on: February 15, 2022, 11:14:43 AM »
I haven't watched an episode since I fell asleep during maybe episode 3 or 4. I'll watch the rest of the season once they're all available.

Online Adami

« Reply #3559 on: February 15, 2022, 11:23:28 AM »

Yeah....I'm probably just going to stop commenting on it. It's my bad for continuing to watch but at this point I can't stop for some reason. Despite how horrible it is. IF there are folks here that like it....more power to you....but, I don't really have anything good to say about the show. Don't want to continue to rag on it because I could just stop watching it. I just can't believe how bad it is.

Yea, I think I just commented since it returned from break. Unless something interesting happens, I think I'll just stop commenting on it.

Last thing, as much as I appreciate the thought behind it, naming a USS Eisenberg was so over the top and winking at the camera that I couldn't connect with the presumably good intentions behind it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3561 on: February 16, 2022, 03:00:16 AM »
https://trekmovie.com/2022/02/15/breaking-star-trek-2023-movie-to-reunite-kelvin-crew-production-set-to-start-by-end-of-year/

ST 2009 and ST Beyond were pretty good imo. And I do like the cast of Kelvin films. Karl Urban is a great McCoy and I think Pine and Quinto were pretty good Kirk and Spock.

I'll be interested to see what comes out of this.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3562 on: February 16, 2022, 03:25:38 AM »
https://trekmovie.com/2022/02/15/breaking-star-trek-2023-movie-to-reunite-kelvin-crew-production-set-to-start-by-end-of-year/

ST 2009 and ST Beyond were pretty good imo. And I do like the cast of Kelvin films. Karl Urban is a great McCoy and I think Pine and Quinto were pretty good Kirk and Spock.

I think Beyond gets a little worse each viewing, and I didn't really like it much when I walked out of the cinema........it's just so forgettable.  Be happy to see this crew get a better sendoff, really like 09 and Into Darkness.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3563 on: February 16, 2022, 08:28:35 AM »

I think Beyond gets a little worse each viewing, and I didn't really like it much when I walked out of the cinema........it's just so forgettable.  Be happy to see this crew get a better sendoff, really like 09 and Into Darkness.
The first five minutes or so were great. Perhaps as good as anything they've done in this series. As soon as the movie starts proper it quickly turns to garbage. I've long maintained that you can take the first two movies and combine them into a pretty good 90 minute flick. The characterizations are good enough for that. I'd simply add the first five of Beyond as a coda, ending it on a rather depressing note. Seems fitting.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3565 on: February 16, 2022, 10:58:43 AM »
really fun and exciting and help take ‘Star Trek’ into areas that you’ve just never seen before.
we have a bunch of other stories that we’re talking about that we think will be really exciting

I read this as "mysterious alien nobody cares about destroys the Earth and the crew has to go back in time (or forward 4 hundred years) to prevent him."
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #3566 on: February 16, 2022, 11:06:12 AM »
No interest, but maybe a trailer or something will change my mind.

I actually just don't like the crew....or the updated setting....or the stories....or the scripts....or the directing....or any of it.

I like the actors mostly, and even some of the individual characters, but I just can't get into them as a crew.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3567 on: February 16, 2022, 11:12:26 AM »
No interest, but maybe a trailer or something will change my mind.

I actually just don't like the crew....or the updated setting....or the stories....or the scripts....or the directing....or any of it.

I like the actors mostly, and even some of the individual characters, but I just can't get into them as a crew.
I've never actually seen them as a crew. I think that's part of the problem. We never see them all actually working alongside each other. It's a whole bunch of different set pieces with various combinations of them. How much screen time did all of the principles get on the bridge at the same time? Between 3 films I'd be surprised if it were more than five minutes. In the right movie that's something that could easily change. The actors all get along well with each other, and they've been doing this for 13 years. It'd actually be cool to see them as an ensemble working together. I wouldn't expect it, though. Breaking them into smaller units creates more opportunities for "excitement."
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3568 on: February 17, 2022, 01:17:32 AM »
They caught the spirit of ToS really well.  Keeping the playfulness of interactions of the 'trinity' of Kirk, Spock and McCoy and updated the B characters to flesh them out, the only thing lacking across all 3 of those films was a worthy villain for the cast to play against.  But those films are just a heap of fun, and that should be at the heart of Trek - which is something I hope they bring back on Strange New Worlds.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3569 on: February 17, 2022, 07:12:33 AM »
I'm just tired of Star Trek living in the past.

What happens NEXT?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.