Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 276156 times)

abydos and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3255 on: September 13, 2021, 05:58:29 AM »
Star Trek fans and Doctor Who fans are the same.

It's genuinely hilarious how UPSET they get over a sci fi television show from nearly 60 years ago made out of cardboard and sellotape. :lolpalm:

" ITS NOT CANON ! NOT MY STAR TREK "

Newsflash : TOS wasn't canon from week to week.

" Grrr !! A *fictional* shape-shifting ALIEN cannot be played be a FEMALE !!! "

:rollin

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3256 on: September 13, 2021, 07:22:00 AM »
I'm enjoying season 4 of TNG. I know it's likely a lot of nostalgia and love for the crew carrying me through some of the meh episodes, but I'm still having a smile on my face.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3257 on: September 13, 2021, 07:29:08 AM »
Yeah most of the "Oh God it's this one" episodes are in Seasons 1 - 3

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3258 on: September 13, 2021, 07:34:01 AM »
Yeah most of the "Oh God it's this one" episodes are in Seasons 1 - 3

7 has a few clunkers too - Masks, Genesis, Dark page and of course the Crusher candle sex episode!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #3259 on: September 13, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »
Do not lot thot condell! Misaka is waking! Those are some great episodes!  :corn

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3260 on: September 18, 2021, 11:19:09 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: September 19, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
I've never seen anyone else point it out..

But - In The Wrath Of Khan - David says to Kirk " I'm proud to be your son..."

And in Star Trek Into Darkness - Carol says to Adm. Marcus " I'm ashamed to be your daughter ".

I thought that was neat. Not an obvious TWOK reference. I actually think Into Darkness has more Undiscovered Country callbacks than TWOK.

In TUC - I'm sure it's Bones who says " Are we firing torpedos at the klingons ? "

In STID he says " You want to fire torpedos at the Klingons ? "

Also this is probably a massive coincidence - but as the landing party is flying towards Qu'onos - Spock says " I predict there is a 91.6 % chance they will kill us.."

Star Trek 6 was released in 91.

Finally - STID uses literally one scene from TWOK and turns it around for narrative purposes. Nemesis is almost a beat for beat remake of TWOK

but STID is "the khan remake"......

Just my deep thoughts y'all.  I think STID is far better than people say it is.

The only thing that bugged me was - they used dialogue from TWOK verbatim but changed who said the lines. At least have the same characters say the same dialogue.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3262 on: September 26, 2021, 03:56:58 PM »
Lower Decks still great fun.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3263 on: September 26, 2021, 06:46:23 PM »
I'm a few episodes behind but I've enjoyed this season a lot.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3264 on: September 28, 2021, 07:19:37 PM »

I get laughed at in ST threads, but I honestly think it’s the best ST show on right now.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3265 on: September 28, 2021, 07:28:56 PM »

I get laughed at in ST threads, but I honestly think it’s the best ST show on right now.
I thought it kind of sucked, but I'd agree with you on that. If nothing else at least it understands what Star Trek is, rather than just phasers, Klingons, and a handful of popular characters (all of which are different every incarnation).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3266 on: September 28, 2021, 07:42:01 PM »
not Star Trek, but closely related,

a reboot of Babylon 5 is in the works...

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/babylon-5-reboot-the-cw-j-michael-straczynski-1235075236/

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3267 on: September 28, 2021, 11:32:46 PM »
Cool. I only watched bits and pieces when it was first on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3268 on: September 29, 2021, 05:57:04 AM »
Lower Decks S1 was way more enjoyable than Disco and Picard S1.

:flame: Plus it has a great opening title sequence. The theme for Disco just sort of gives up and then plays the TOS theme.

But I don't really care about any of them too much. I'm going to wait til Picard S2 and Lower Decks S2 have finished their run then get a free month of Prime to binge watch them.

I might watch Disco as it happens. We shall see.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3269 on: September 29, 2021, 07:58:41 AM »
Lower Decks S1 was way more enjoyable than Disco and Picard S1.

:flame: Plus it has a great opening title sequence. The theme for Disco just sort of gives up and then plays the TOS theme.

But I don't really care about any of them too much. I'm going to wait til Picard S2 and Lower Decks S2 have finished their run then get a free month of Prime to binge watch them.

I might watch Disco as it happens. We shall see.

I wish Lower Decks wasn't a comedy series.  They could have made a great Star Trek show that wasn't limited by budget (as it's animated) - instead they went down the comedy sci-fi route of which there are plenty already.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3270 on: September 29, 2021, 08:25:11 AM »
Maybe Star Trek Prodigy will be a touch more dramatic.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3271 on: September 29, 2021, 09:25:58 AM »
Maybe Star Trek Prodigy will be a touch more dramatic.

Seems to be aimed at a younger audience.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3272 on: September 29, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
I can't get into Lower Decks.

And I know the tones are completely different, so probably not a great comparison, but I couldn't get into any of the Star Wars animated shows either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3273 on: September 29, 2021, 01:51:21 PM »
but I couldn't get into any of the Star Wars animated shows either.

That's a bummer because there was some cool stuff that was worth it. But I totally get how it's tough to get into....especially Clone Wars. Was certainly a slow burn but worth it IMO
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3274 on: October 02, 2021, 12:27:11 AM »
Pretty good, thorough Retrospective on Star Trek Voyager, which seeing/remembering, once again reminded me how much I used to love Star Trek in the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8lNTPXE6s4

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3275 on: October 02, 2021, 10:48:56 PM »
Pretty good, thorough Retrospective on Star Trek Voyager, which seeing/remembering, once again reminded me how much I used to love Star Trek in the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8lNTPXE6s4
That was very good. I didn't always agree with him, but it was an excellent presentation, and he did justice to both the strengths and the flaws of the series.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3276 on: October 03, 2021, 12:12:29 PM »
Reading Wiki and The Undiscovered Country script was pitched to Paramount and released to cinemas in the same year.

That's fast as f--k.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3277 on: October 03, 2021, 12:23:42 PM »
Script finished.

Cast and Crew hired.

Locations scouted.

Sets and props all built.

Principal Photography.

Post production. / Sound mixing / Editing.

Whatever mastering is in the film world...

Promotion and release to cinemas.

All in 10 months.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3278 on: October 03, 2021, 02:50:43 PM »
Script finished.

Cast and Crew hired.

Locations scouted.

Principal Photography.

All in 10 months.

That’s pretty cool considering that it’s probably one of the most underrated Star Trek movies in the entire canon
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3279 on: October 03, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
Very impressive. I don't feel it's underated, though. I thought pretty much everyone thinks it's good?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3280 on: October 03, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »
Yeah I think 2,4 and 6 are the Big Three of the TOS movies.

If anything I think 1 is under rated and *isn't* just "LOL ITS SO BORING !!!!!!!!!11111"

I actually love the pacing.

How TF do people constantly make fun of The Motion Picture's pacing and not 2001 ? Or Blade Runner ?

Online Adami

« Reply #3281 on: October 03, 2021, 03:34:33 PM »
Yeah I think 2,4 and 6 are the Big Three of the TOS movies.

If anything I think 1 is under rated.

This is an example of a good post that doesn’t need to go into insulting people who disagree with you.

And you’re right. The motion picture is underrated in my opinion. It’s not great but it’s pretty good at least. N
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3282 on: October 04, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »
Script finished.

Cast and Crew hired.

Locations scouted.

Principal Photography.

All in 10 months.

A lot of the sets were redressed TNG sets, and they re-used old models (albeit refurbished) for the ships, so they had a little bit of a head start. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3283 on: October 04, 2021, 11:10:30 PM »

If anything I think 1 is under rated and *isn't* just "LOL ITS SO BORING !!!!!!!!!11111"

I actually love the pacing.

How TF do people constantly make fun of The Motion Picture's pacing and not 2001 ? Or Blade Runner ?

From a character point of view it's a very weird movie, everyone is so cold and emotionless (the returning characters from ToS are barely recognisable).  It's a fascinatingly odd film, but it's a real chore to rewatch these days.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:11:13 AM by soupytwist »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3284 on: October 05, 2021, 06:49:39 AM »
There were no prior iterations of 2001 or Blade Runner on film with which to compare those films.  The pacing was the pacing, and is perfect for those films.

The pacing of ST:TMP was glacial in comparison to the TV show, and the characters, as soupytwist mentioned, aren't recognizable as their TV counterparts.

I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but it deserves every bit of criticism it receives as far as pacing, and it is certainly boring, in sections, especially compared to the shows that came before it, and the other ST films that came afterward.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3285 on: October 05, 2021, 08:18:39 AM »
It's also the case that nobody watched 2001 for the story. Hell, nobody even knows what the story is. People watched it because it was an impressive bit of eye candy (and still is). While Blade Runner had a story and some decent characterizations, much like 2001 it was still about bringing people into a fascinating world they hadn't seen before. Again, it was more about the what you were seeing than the story you were watching.

ST was different in that regard. We wanted a Star Trek story (and IMO, got one). I think they also wanted some 2001 in there, though (and accomplished that, as well). What I don't get is the characters being unrecognizable. They were a bit more serious, but to me they all seemed pretty much the same, save for Spock who got rebooted in the interim.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3286 on: October 05, 2021, 08:33:21 AM »
I always felt that TMP was a weird experiment, and I just write it off.

IMO, we didn't get a real ST film until Wrath of Khan.

But I don't dislike TMP, per se.  It's not bad.  It's just not really anything I ever want to sit through again.

Online Adami

« Reply #3287 on: October 05, 2021, 09:27:53 AM »
It's also the case that nobody watched 2001 for the story. Hell, nobody even knows what the story is. People watched it because it was an impressive bit of eye candy (and still is). While Blade Runner had a story and some decent characterizations, much like 2001 it was still about bringing people into a fascinating world they hadn't seen before. Again, it was more about the what you were seeing than the story you were watching.

ST was different in that regard. We wanted a Star Trek story (and IMO, got one). I think they also wanted some 2001 in there, though (and accomplished that, as well). What I don't get is the characters being unrecognizable. They were a bit more serious, but to me they all seemed pretty much the same, save for Spock who got rebooted in the interim.

I'm gonna disagree about 2001. It's definitely not just eye candy. While the "plot" is quite....odd....and convoluted, I'd say the movie is more about an experience, rather than just something pretty to look at. I'd also add that they got kind of ST characters on sedatives.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3288 on: October 05, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »

I'm gonna disagree about 2001. It's definitely not just eye candy. While the "plot" is quite....odd....and convoluted, I'd say the movie is more about an experience, rather than just something pretty to look at. I'd also add that they got kind of ST characters on sedatives.
Yeah, you're right. That's kind of what I was getting at with Blade Runner. It's about taking you someplace. I just don't think either are story-driven. And taking the viewer someplace is also what I think TMP was going for on some level.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3289 on: October 05, 2021, 10:47:04 AM »
Another thing TMP has against it is it's basically the same plot as the episode 'The Changling'....but I'd argue that episode is better, it's certainly more fun (the reteaching Uhura everything after her memory is wiped is very 60's sci-fi WTF).