Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 274815 times)

Orbert and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3115 on: April 05, 2021, 04:07:03 PM »
In his first appearance they should deep-fake him so that he looks like he did in 1990, and then he takes one look at Picard and says "egads, you look ancient," and then have him change to look as old as Stewart.

I was thinking they'll have him as current JDL to make fun of Picard's years. Even though it's still a 'new' Picard body. I hope they don't use Q to Deux Ex Machina Picard back into a human.

Picard being a clone of himself is an interesting twist. Picard is DEAD. But you could argue that every time you use a Transpo - you're essentially a clone. Picard has been 'dead' from the moment

he first Transported.

Given how lazy I see the writing for these things to be, anyone else think Q will just snap and make Picard human again?

Ninja'd. Didn't see your post but I hope they don't as it's way more interesting him being a Replicant of himself. He's NOT Picard. He's a bio android with all of Picard's memories.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3116 on: April 05, 2021, 04:12:29 PM »
Picard being dead is interesting as whatever happens next - it's NOT Picard. The show can have its cake and eat it too - if the writers are smart. But A lot

of the writing in Disco and Picard is half arsed and going for big emotional beats rather than internal logic.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3117 on: April 06, 2021, 03:48:27 AM »
Q is a odd one for me.  John played the part really well - but the whole omnipresent God powers (with a child like arrogance) just feel out of place.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3118 on: April 06, 2021, 06:05:22 AM »
I'm more interested in the Bajoran tablet laying on the table there, please let that be more than just a nod to DS9.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3119 on: April 06, 2021, 08:07:27 AM »
Q is a odd one for me.  John played the part really well - but the whole omnipresent God powers (with a child like arrogance) just feel out of place.

In a fictional outer space show ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: April 06, 2021, 08:09:39 AM »
Picard Series 1 was better on second viewing. I wasn't expecting TNG Series 8 going into it - but perhaps it needs to be in S2.

They need to STOP with the whole torture and darkness obsession. It's Star Trek not Game of Thrones.

If Strange New Worlds has Spock shouting and swearing and treating everyone like shit - i'm never watching any more New Trek again.

SNW needs to be basically The Original Series but made in the 21st Century. Episodic. Bright. Fun. No Torture. Or Swearing JUST CAUSE.

Basically all of Picard Series 2 needs to be like the episode " Nepenthe " from Series 1. That was a GREAT episode.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3121 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:23 AM »

Personally I think so.  The power level of the Q are generally out of kilter with the rest of the universe we see.

SNW needs to be basically The Original Series but made in the 21st Century. Episodic. Bright. Fun. No Torture. Or Swearing JUST CAUSE.

Someone is always getting tortured in ToS! 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3122 on: April 06, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »

Personally I think so.  The power level of the Q are generally out of kilter with the rest of the universe we see.

The Organians. The Metrons, Trellaine and his parents. Flint. Apollo.
Nagilum. Kevin Uxbridge. The Cytherians.

We can debate how powerful they are in relation to the Q, but relative to the Federtation they're all so far off the charts that they should probably be considered omnipotent.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3123 on: April 06, 2021, 03:04:57 PM »

I agree with you.  Q and the other nigh-omnipotent beings are my least favorite parts of ST. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3124 on: April 08, 2021, 02:52:58 AM »
I have no problem with dark or light tone in Trek. Trek is so varied that I don't have any preference, nor would I want it to be limited to a fixed style.

I just want my disbelief suspended by any new Trek. I want it to be involving, consistent and suck me in. That's where I feel the recent stuff has been patchy, for many reasons. Disco has about half the time, Picard almost never. But half the time isn't good enough.

We've got new seasons of Discovery, Picard and SNW on the horizon (and others). I think those three key upcoming seasons are make or break for me with the current Trek team.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3125 on: April 09, 2021, 01:31:22 AM »
DSC series 3 was the best so far. The trailer for S4 has yet another universe threatening threat and

looks like more action over story. We shall see. I wish we got more stand alone episodes.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3126 on: April 09, 2021, 02:29:55 AM »
DSC series 3 was the best so far. The trailer for S4 has yet another universe threatening threat and

looks like more action over story. We shall see. I wish we got more stand alone episodes.

I hope that "The Anomaly" is a looming background threat throughout the season, and every episode doesn't revolve around it. We need to see more of the reconstruction of the Federation, and it looks like we see at least a little bit of it amidst all the action. :P

I'm pretty excited to see John De Lancie back as Q! He was one of the best recurring characters throughout the TNG/DS9/Voy era.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3127 on: April 09, 2021, 07:35:16 AM »
Meh, my reaction to the trailer is luke warm at best. I was really let down by season 3 and I'm more interested in PIC season 2 and SNW.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3128 on: April 09, 2021, 04:06:45 PM »
DSC series 3 was the best so far.

Personally think Season 2 was the best by some way.  Season 3 had huge potential and started well enough but the Burn resolution and the Emerald Chain villains were really lackluster - the finale was just plain bad.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3129 on: April 09, 2021, 04:22:15 PM »
DSC series 3 was the best so far.

Personally think Season 2 was the best by some way.  Season 3 had huge potential and started well enough but the Burn resolution and the Emerald Chain villains were really lackluster - the finale was just plain bad.

I pretty much feel this way too. Was happy with season 2. Let down by season 3.

Was the season 3 finale about the kelpian guy? There was quite a lot I liked about that, iirc.

Edit: 2023 for new JJ movie too? Be interesting to hear the casting on this.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:37:11 PM by DoctorAction »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3130 on: April 16, 2021, 01:45:23 PM »
Did you see that the actor who played Borg Hugh in TNG had to leave twitter cause he tweeted something really positive like

" I love all my brothers and sisters! "

And got inundated with angry tweets from people saying shit like " UM EXCUSE ME THERE ARE MORE THAN TWO GENDERS "

and he was like " Thats it - I was just trying to be positive and as usual people prefer to spread hate. Goodbye "

When will this pathetic cult of being TRIGGERFENDED finally fuckin die ?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3131 on: April 17, 2021, 06:12:06 AM »
Did you see that the actor who played Borg Hugh in TNG had to leave twitter cause he tweeted something really positive like

And got inundated with angry tweets from people saying shit like " UM EXCUSE ME THERE ARE MORE THAN TWO GENDERS "

and he was like " Thats it - I was just trying to be positive and as usual people prefer to spread hate. Goodbye "

When they stop forcing 2 year olds to switch genders?

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #3132 on: April 17, 2021, 07:02:37 PM »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3133 on: April 18, 2021, 12:33:26 AM »

When they stop forcing 2 year olds to switch genders?

I didn't hear about that. When did that happen?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3134 on: April 18, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »
Christ’s sake. Maybe take that stuff somewhere else?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3135 on: April 18, 2021, 02:32:24 PM »
Christ’s sake. Maybe take that stuff somewhere else?
Definitely. And the sad part is that there were so many ST episodes dealing with gender issues that could have been used as a segue. "So I was watching that TNG episode where Riker falls in love with the creepy androgynous alien, and it got me thinking. . ."  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3136 on: June 27, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
I finally watched Episode 10 of Star Trek: Picard.  Mrs. Orbert and I had started watching the series months ago, but as Mrs. O slowly lost interest, it became the evening's choice of entertainment less and less often.  We typically have two or three shows we're working our way through at any given time, and tend to watch an episode or two during dinner and/or evening chillax time.

Anyway, I thought it was kinda weird for her to stop after Episode 9, one episode from the finale and technically Part One of the two-part finale, but that was her breaking point.  She just couldn't watch it any more.  I wasn't as thrilled with Picard as I'd hoped to be, but I can't leave anything 90% done, so I finally watched the finale.

Even with my expectations tempered by what I'd read about here and elsewhere, I found it disappointing.  Yeah, plenty of good scenes, but very odd pacing.  The huge battle with hundreds of ships on each side was over in a blink.  Plot points were practically fast-forwarded, while some scenes dragged on much longer than necessary.  And some plot points were completely dropped or glossed over.  It was a decent rough draft, and with some polish could have been a much better season finale.

It was okay, but not great.  I'd had a little bit of it spoiled, but managed to be surprised by a few things, so that was good.  I'll start Season Two and see if it gets any better.  I like most of the characters, but the writing feels weak, like they're not quite getting it right.  I can't quite tell what "it" is, but they're not quite getting it right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3137 on: June 28, 2021, 05:02:00 AM »
They touted STP as "not being TNG". But S2 definitely needs to be. They need to stop their obsession with darkness and misery and violence.

Discovery S3 was overall much better and Strange New Worlds needs to be TOS updated. No Pike torture or long scenes of torture or agony in the dark.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3138 on: June 28, 2021, 05:43:10 AM »
I just want to care about the story and characters, regardless of whether there's this kind of scene or that style.

Basically, make it good storytelling.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3139 on: June 28, 2021, 05:47:57 AM »
I like that SNW is episodic so they don't have to do OMG UNIVERSE ENDING THREAT STAY TUNED.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3140 on: June 28, 2021, 08:14:26 AM »
I like that SNW is episodic so they don't have to do OMG UNIVERSE ENDING THREAT STAY TUNED.

Yeah. That should be refreshing, tbh.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3141 on: June 28, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »

When you think about it TNG was basically one long UNIVERSE ENDING THREAT arc.   But they only referenced it in the very first and very last episodes  :D

Is there any ETA for Strange New Worlds?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3142 on: June 28, 2021, 09:10:03 AM »
2022 or very late this year. Same as Disco 4 and Picard 2.

I just hope that Q is the same as he was in All Good Things and wants to help / guide Picard.. And not just right back to Encounter at Farpoint Q being murderous and evil because thats everyone now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3143 on: July 11, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »
Which is your least / most favourite USS ENTERPRISE ?

1. My absolute favourite is the TOS Movies 'Constitution II' Design. It's just perfect. Then :

2. The Constitution I re-design from Star Trek Discovery. Just gorgeous. The perfect blend of TOS and TMP

3. Enterprise E. Also very nice and sleek looking

Least favourite is probably the 1966 TOS one for being a bit too 60s and dorky looking - or the Yesterday's Enterprise C - which was a bit bulbous for me.

Oh and I really liked the Star Trek 2009 / Into Darkness design. But not the Star Trek Beyond ultra spindly one.

:)

---

Secondly - petition for a nice fresh Star Trek thread called The United Threaderation of Planets :) x

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3144 on: July 11, 2021, 11:55:02 PM »
I'd agree with your top 2 there (the ship in TMP is just lovely) and add any of the recent movie ones in third.

Not a fan of the Enterprise D or E, really.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3145 on: August 15, 2021, 03:34:36 AM »
Watching a Netflix doco on mushrooms and funghi and the main scientist talking about mycelium networks is a guy called Paul Stamets and I'm like, "I know that name..."

Turns out the Disco character is named after him and the theories the space-faring Stamets talks are based on his too. Very cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3146 on: August 15, 2021, 05:20:25 AM »
Yeah it's baloney but at least it's based on real baloney !

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3147 on: August 15, 2021, 12:58:34 PM »
Mmm, sausage...

Trek needs more food-based action. The Trouble With Truffles. The Mushroom Picture. The Starch For Speck. The Voyage Ham.

;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: August 15, 2021, 03:01:56 PM »
The Voyage HAM  :rollin

Ham is such a funny word as it is.

The Final Fondue. The Undiscovered Bounty.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3149 on: August 15, 2021, 03:30:14 PM »
The Voyage HAM  :rollin

Ham is such a funny word as it is.

The Final Fondue. The Undiscovered Bounty.

The Final Fondue - that could be on Lower Decks.  :lol

Talking of Lower Decks, I didn't get on with it when it came out but have gone back to it and am currently really enjoying it. Very Trek.