Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 273726 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3080 on: March 04, 2021, 05:44:00 PM »
Alright, so....

A lot of us love to bash the hell out of TNG season 1. We often cite Code of Honor, Naked Now, Justice and whatever the Ferengi showed up in.

HOWEVER, after having just finished all of season 1, I really don't think it's as bad as we remember. None of it is amazing or great, for sure, and some of it is truly god-awful, but I honestly would say most of it was mediocre/decent. There was often a really good idea and either it didn't get thought out enough or it was executed terribly. So I'll group the episodes (in no order except possibly order of release) into Bad, Mediocre, Good, and Great (spoiler alert, there will be no great ones).

Bad:
Code of Honor
The Last Outpost
Justice
Hide and Q
Angel One
Skin of Evil

Mediocre (Usually a decent idea that just went nowhere and needed more re-writes)
Encounter at Farpoint
Lonely Among us
Haven
Datalore
Too Short a Season (this is pretty close to the bad category though)
When the Bough Breaks
Home Soil
Arsenal of Freedom
We'll Always Have Paris
The Neutral Zone (just didn't really go anywhere)

Good (but far from great)
Where No One Has Gone Before
The Battle
The Big Goodbye
Coming of Age
Heart of Glory
Symbiosis (Listen, I know we all hate the random anti-drug PSA, but it's literally 1 minute of the show and the rest is pretty damn good. Just skip that one minute)
Conspiracy

So yea, I'd say it's by far the worst season but not nearly the dumpster fire we always describe it as. At least that's my opinion. Anywho, started season 2 today and off to an awful start with The Child.

On unrelated news, looks like the previously planned ST movies are all dead and a new one will be penned by one of the Discovery people. So I have 0 hope or interest as of now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3081 on: March 04, 2021, 06:01:42 PM »
I actually scored them all (and TOS) the other night, and S1 actually came out slightly ahead of S7. I think it was 2.07 to 1.9x. It was close, but it definitely came out ahead.

My scoring doesn't look all too different from yours. Datalore is as bad as it gets, and I put Arsenal and Neutral Zone well into the good category, but it's generally pretty similar.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3082 on: March 05, 2021, 12:12:57 AM »
I have a huge fondness for 'Skin of Evil'.  Watching it as an 12 year old on first broadcast it was exciting, also they killed off a main character - which was unheard off, it made the show a bit more dangerous.  Of course back then no one knew it was simply back stage drama and Denise simply wanting to quit that lead to Tasha dying 😂

Season 2 is slightly better although it starts with a rapey episode and ends with a clipshow!   Polanski > Crusher!

Oh and on your rating a think 'Conspiracy' could be classed as a great episode personally - maybe the fact they never followed up on the threat again knocks it down, but that's not really this episode fault.

'When the Bough Breaks' is the worst episode of season 1 for me...it doesn't have the so bad (or stupid) it's amusing aspect, it's just really boring.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:20:22 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3083 on: March 05, 2021, 08:06:23 AM »
I too watched TNG during the original broadcast, and agree that 'Skin of Evil' upped the ante.  Killing off a main character in a show barely starting out was great.  I was actually kinda hoping that TNG would do away with the redshirt concept and actually kill main cast once in a while, but they never followed up on that.  This wasn't long after I'd read a book series that did just that.  Group of five, one of them died on their first adventure.  Others would join their group and hang with them, then die two books later, that kind of thing.  I think they lost another of the original group several books in.  You never knew.  Real stakes.

Anyway, one problem is that the TNG episode itself wasn't great.  I read once that when Denise wanted out, they actually tried to come up with a really shitty way to kill her off.  I don't know if that's true, but in retrospect they at least succeeded at that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: March 06, 2021, 02:59:45 PM »
STAR TREK THE NEXT GEN MOVIE REBOOT

Who would you cast in a big screen TNG reboot ?

Here are some of my thoughts :

1. Captain Picard = Tom Hardy surely ? He's even 'played' Picard before in Nemesis.

2. Counselor Troi = Audrey Tatou

3. Beverly Crusher = Jessica Chastain

4. Riker = Bradley Cooper ? Might be getting on a bit now though ?

5. Data = Tom Hiddleston ?

6. I originally thought of Chadwick Boseman for Geordi :( RIP Maybe John David Washington from TENET ?

7. And I dunno about Worf - but it could be anyone as they'd have a prosthesis on anyway.

Online Adami

« Reply #3085 on: March 06, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »
No thank you.

I’d support enterprise F with all new crew. Though it’s mostly the writing style and lack of trek philosophy that is a problem for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3086 on: March 06, 2021, 07:49:18 PM »
Have Micheal Dorn as Worf... But have a whole sub plot where he feels that everything is kind of off...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3087 on: March 07, 2021, 02:02:40 AM »
Please not Tom Hardy!!!

Peter Capadi - Picard.
David Tennant - Ryker
Matt Smith - Worf.
Karen Gillan - Crusher.
Noel Clarke - Geordi.
Jenna Coleman - Troi.
Chris Esslestone - Data.
John Barrowman - Q.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3088 on: March 08, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
I agree with Adami.  A new crew in an Enterprise F.  Not another blasted reboot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3089 on: March 08, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
What would be the difference? Even if they reused Picard, Riker, and the gang, they'd still just be generic action characters.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3090 on: March 08, 2021, 01:32:45 PM »
What would be the difference? Even if they reused Picard, Riker, and the gang, they'd still just be generic action characters.
I would hope that any such Star Trek would not become a generic sci-fi action show.

I would, of course, be sorely disappointed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3091 on: March 08, 2021, 11:05:32 PM »

An upgrade for Troi, Geordi and Crusher then  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: March 10, 2021, 10:43:24 AM »
Nicholas Meyer ( Director - Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country & Writer The Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home & Undiscovered Country )

wants to direct a new Star Trek film for Paramount.

I just want a 4th Kelvin cast movie. Meyer can direct it if he wants. Paramount should let him as an apology for not letting him direct Nemesis cause he wanted to re-write the script. Stupidest decision

ever. Especially considering Nemesis was just a Wrath Of Khan clone.

Even if you don't like Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, and Beyond - that cast is GREAT and work well together. I was hoping for way more films with them.

Online Adami

« Reply #3093 on: March 10, 2021, 10:46:37 AM »
I don’t care for much of the cast either.

Kirk is okay. Scotty is cool. That’s about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3094 on: March 10, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »
Karl Urban is PERFECT as Bones. Anton Yelchin was great as Chekov (RIP). I'm ambivalent about Pegg but i'm ambivalent about him anyway.

Telling fans to "fuck off" when they guessed Benedict was Khan was a huge no-no for me.

Online Adami

« Reply #3095 on: March 10, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »
Karl Urban is PERFECT as Bones. Anton Yelchin was great as Chekov (RIP). I'm ambivalent about Pegg but i'm ambivalent about him anyway.

Telling fans to "fuck off" when they guessed Benedict was Khan was a huge no-no for me.

That was a typo on my part. I meant Bones. Not Scotty.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3096 on: March 10, 2021, 11:33:37 AM »

Love Pegg.  Spaced in maybe my favorite Sitcom of all time and Hot Fuzz one of my greatest films (Shaun isn't far behind).  But he only OK in the Star Trek films (Agree Urban, Pine and Yelchin are the standouts).   

Did you (or anyone) watch 'Truth Seekers'?   Pegg and Frost back together - I don't think I've even been so letdown by a show - it was terrible, I couldn't even finish the first series - it's recently been axed and i'm not surprised!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: March 10, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »
Pegg and Frost are only good when Edgar Wright is directing.

Run Fatboy Run was just OK and Paul was cack.

Apparently Edgar is writing Baby Driver 2 and he has a new horror movie out this year :)

I've loved everything Edgar has done so far : Spaced, Shaun. Fuzz, Worlds End. Scott Pilgrim. Baby Driver.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3098 on: March 10, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »
I too would love another movie from the Pine/Quinto/Urban/Saldana cast. (I like Pegg too but less so)

Thoroughly enjoyed all three movies (though the first is my favourite)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

« Reply #3099 on: March 10, 2021, 03:55:49 PM »

Apparently Edgar is writing Baby Driver 2 and he has a new horror movie out this year :)

I've loved everything Edgar has done so far : Spaced, Shaun. Fuzz, Worlds End. Scott Pilgrim. Baby Driver.

I agree about the dream team of Frost, Pegg and Wright. Though I actually did enjoy Run Fatboy Run. It wasn't anywhere near the movies by the big 3 but i really enjoyed it. I actually need to see Baby Driver. Not sure why I haven't yet. Gotta get on that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3100 on: March 10, 2021, 11:17:38 PM »

I agree about the dream team of Frost, Pegg and Wright. Though I actually did enjoy Run Fatboy Run. It wasn't anywhere near the movies by the big 3 but i really enjoyed it. I actually need to see Baby Driver. Not sure why I haven't yet. Gotta get on that.

Baby Driver unfortunately got tainted as it was Spacey's last movie before the shit hit the fan.  It's a good film though.

If I'm being completely honest World's End kindoff reminds me of Terminator 3 or Alien 3 it's a decent movie but it's a substantial drop in quality compared to the first two movies in its trilogy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3101 on: March 17, 2021, 10:45:57 AM »
Darmok and Jalad at Lunch

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: March 17, 2021, 02:45:27 PM »
I'd be shocked if Paul and Patrick didn't discuss The Wrath of Khan.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3103 on: March 19, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »
Enterprise season 3 was surprisingly good, to be honest!

All the plot threads introduced throughout the season really came together at the end!

Onto season 4...

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3104 on: March 19, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »
Enterprise season 3 was surprisingly good, to be honest!

All the plot threads introduced throughout the season really came together at the end!

Onto season 4...

Season 4 is great too... Until the end.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3105 on: March 19, 2021, 02:41:13 PM »
Season 4 is A LOT of fan service - so be prepared for that.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3106 on: March 20, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »
We're a few episodes into s7 of DS9. I totally forgot about Ezri! Goddamn she's cute :heart

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3107 on: March 20, 2021, 06:53:41 PM »
Agreed, I loved Ezri.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3108 on: March 23, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »
Last night I watched the Masters of the Universe film from the 80's - I saw this in the cinema as a kid, and even then I knew it was crap and this was the first time I'd rewatched it (it was still crap, obviously) but I was surprised to find a young Robert Duncan McNeill in it (as a love interest to Counteney Cox no less) - he was dire in this, but so was everyone to be fair.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3109 on: March 23, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »
 :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: March 23, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »
Of course I had no idea at the time - but the same film makers who made Masters Of The Universe - also made Superman 4.

When you're like 10 you don't notice how crap films are.

When we watched Superman 4 - my Dad said Gene Hackman was laughing all the way to the bank.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3111 on: April 05, 2021, 02:22:39 PM »
CONFIRMED : John De Lancie is back as Q in Picard Season 2.

Mixed feelings. Could be good. could be terrible.

It won't be as good as All Good Things. They'll probably completely undo that episode and have him be annoying mischievous Q again.

Online Adami

« Reply #3112 on: April 05, 2021, 02:48:59 PM »
Yea. Not shocking. They seem pretty big on nostalgia.

I’ve learned from Star Trek recently that they do great with overall ideas and often completely fall apart on execution. So I will just have to wait to see how they make it happen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3113 on: April 05, 2021, 02:55:26 PM »
In his first appearance they should deep-fake him so that he looks like he did in 1990, and then he takes one look at Picard and says "egads, you look ancient," and then have him change to look as old as Stewart. 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #3114 on: April 05, 2021, 03:01:05 PM »
Given how lazy I see the writing for these things to be, anyone else think Q will just snap and make Picard human again?
fanticide.bandcamp.com