Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 273761 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3010 on: January 28, 2021, 10:30:50 AM »
DS9
TNG/TOS
STD
ENT
VOY
PICARD

To be consistent, shouldn't Discovery be abbreviated DIS?

DIS just doesn’t seem as potentially infections. I see STD going more viral. Just catchier.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3011 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
Either of those would be better than Disco.

Online Adami

« Reply #3012 on: January 28, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »

Discos dead man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: January 28, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »
Gatekeepers LOVE calling it STD.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3014 on: January 28, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »

Discos dead man.

"Disco is NOT dead!  Disco is LIFE!"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: January 28, 2021, 12:09:18 PM »
Oh look it's Eddie Izzard. Doesn't SHE look different.

Online Adami

« Reply #3016 on: January 28, 2021, 12:16:49 PM »
Wow.

Anyway, watched Undiscovered Country a few nights ago as part of my big re-watch. I gotta say, this is a killer movie.

I'd put it right up there with Khan for best ST movie. The script is fantastic, the characters are all in great form, it has its flaws, but you're so absorbed by how well everything else is that they can easily be overlooked. I loved seeing Christopher Plumber and I thought he brought a great personality and gravitas to his character.

I know we're kind of in our "TNG sucks and also rankings" mode at the moment, so I won't bog it down too much with talk of Star Trek, but this is just such a good movie. Not a whole lot of big action but a little bit. The story is just focused on character and plot without needing to talk down to the audience or assume they're bored and offer them a lot of big colors to distract.

Overall? Tied as best ST movie for me. Sadly, this is the last full TOS Star Trek movie, and I'm really gonna miss these guys.

Next part of my re-watch (which is odd) is the first however many minutes of Generations until Kirk "dies." After that, I start TNG and watch that a little quicker than I did TOS. Woo!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: January 28, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
The biggest flaw with TUC for me is how rushed it feels compared to TWOK.

Same writer and director and cast and crew - but it doesn't have the same weight to it.

It may be the reduced budget after STV - but something about it - watching it now - just seems off

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3018 on: January 28, 2021, 12:35:36 PM »
There's a whole lot more going on in TUC. TWoK is pretty straightforward. It's a revenge story, we already know the players, and we can fill in a lot of it ourselves. TUC is a political thriller. There's a ton of content that needs to be shown to make it work. Still, it didn't feel rushed to me. I thought it was paced surprisingly well given how much is going on. To me it just didn't look as good. TUC was nearly 10 years after Khan, and the special effects had improved immeasurably, but Khan just looks better to me. TUC looks almost like television, while TWoK looks like classic cinema. I suppose they were already a few years into TNG, so they were probably borrowing a lot of the same technique.

Nevertheless, I agree with Adami. Second best, and the only one that even comes close to Khan.

And I still love "not me you idiot! Him!" Partly because that was what he came up with, and partly because it actually worked. Gotta love it when Kirk wins.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3019 on: January 28, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »
DS9
TNG/TOS
STD
ENT
VOY
PICARD

To be consistent, shouldn't Discovery be abbreviated DIS?

DIS just doesn’t seem as potentially infections. I see STD going more viral. Just catchier.

;)

I love TUC (the Trek movie AND the cheese crackers)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3020 on: January 28, 2021, 05:19:23 PM »

Eddie is a transvestite, not a transsexual.  And he's fucking awesome.

If you're gonna be a homophobe, at least get your fucking shit straight.

Online Adami

« Reply #3021 on: January 28, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »

Actually, and IN NO WAY is this post defending Kotow's extremely rude post, but Eddie currently identifies as gender-fluid and goes by she/her pronouns. It's a relatively new revelation though, so you might not have known.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3022 on: January 28, 2021, 08:48:50 PM »
I am a big fan of ST:VI. I won't gush about it here, but I hold it in very high regard. It is just a well crafted film, all the way around: story, character, action, suspense, music. They hit all the right notes.

It was one of the first films I saw in the theater on my own dime without my parents. This, and The Doors,
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3023 on: January 28, 2021, 10:31:45 PM »
We are like... halfway done with S7 of TNG.  Just watched Gambit last night (The episode where Picard and Riker wind up working on a merc ship collecting the pieces of that Vulcan artifact that focuses telepathic powers). I have to say, the last few seasons have really made me rethink my position on rankings. Ent and Voy are the most nostalgic for me, but TNG is the best them.

I'll probably swap that up after watching DS9 again :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3024 on: January 28, 2021, 11:13:50 PM »

Actually, and IN NO WAY is this post defending Kotow's extremely rude post, but Eddie currently identifies as gender-fluid and goes by she/her pronouns. It's a relatively new revelation though, so you might not have known.

Well shit, don't I feel silly?

No, not really.  But I do stand corrected.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: January 29, 2021, 03:22:18 AM »
And for the record I wasn't being 'a homophobe' - I was just pointing out Eddie's recent revelation in an - albeit clumsy - lighthearted fashion.

The trouble with text is it's hard to convey.

Apologies if it seemed that way.  :-*

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3026 on: January 29, 2021, 06:21:44 AM »
My Cousin once bumped into Eddie - literally bumped into him, complete accident.   He turned round swore at her then spat on her.  That was back in the 90's.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: January 29, 2021, 07:01:16 AM »
I've never heard that bout her. But I was a huge fan of hers until the Circle DVD in 2003. I thought it was entirely laugh free.

Sexie was slightly better. Then Stripped and Force Majeure were both boring. Much like she is in real life

since she started acting and took up politics.

And it never bothered me in the least that he would dress up on stage. Mainly because it wasn't like Drag -

it actually weirdly suited him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3028 on: January 29, 2021, 07:06:44 AM »
There's a whole lot more going on in TUC. TWoK is pretty straightforward. It's a revenge story, we already know the players, and we can fill in a lot of it ourselves. TUC is a political thriller. There's a ton of content that needs to be shown to make it work. Still, it didn't feel rushed to me. I thought it was paced surprisingly well given how much is going on. To me it just didn't look as good. TUC was nearly 10 years after Khan, and the special effects had improved immeasurably, but Khan just looks better to me. TUC looks almost like television, while TWoK looks like classic cinema. I suppose they were already a few years into TNG, so they were probably borrowing a lot of the same technique.

Nevertheless, I agree with Adami. Second best, and the only one that even comes close to Khan.

And I still love "not me you idiot! Him!" Partly because that was what he came up with, and partly because it actually worked. Gotta love it when Kirk wins.

When I said it feels rushed I meant in the production and writing - not the pacing.

Like - when Kirk shows up at the end - he's wanted for murder essentially.

He just says " Your father called the future the undiscovered country - some people can be scared of change "

Then everyone applauds and thats that and hes not wanted anymore.

Thats the whole film really.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3029 on: January 29, 2021, 08:10:28 AM »

When I said it feels rushed I meant in the production and writing - not the pacing.

Like - when Kirk shows up at the end - he's wanted for murder essentially.

He just says " Your father called the future the undiscovered country - some people can be scared of change "

Then everyone applauds and thats that and hes not wanted anymore.

Thats the whole film really.
Well, he risked his own life to definitively save the high chancellor's. He exposed a conspiracy that included people on his own side. He's got proof that the Klingon's own military brass were behind the murder he's accused of committing. Plus there's the whole "we need their help to live" component. I'm pretty sure he's kind of off the hook for the assassination at that point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: January 29, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
Well in that scene - he just shows up right at the last second - saves the chancellor and Gorkon's daughter is like " cool - forget everything " - just instantly.

She didn't know in that moment about Valeris or the Vulcans. Then Kirk suddenly forgives all Klingons for David's death.

That's what I mean about rushed writing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3031 on: January 29, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »
And for the record I wasn't being 'a homophobe' - I was just pointing out Eddie's recent revelation in an - albeit clumsy - lighthearted fashion.

The trouble with text is it's hard to convey.

Apologies if it seemed that way.  :-*

I'm sorry.  Calling a guy a girl as an insult has always bugged me, as long as I can remember.  It just seemed too easy and incredibly stupid at the same time.  I've always liked Eddie and didn't know about her recent revelation, so that's where my mind went.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: January 29, 2021, 09:09:50 PM »
Well in that scene - he just shows up right at the last second - saves the chancellor and Gorkon's daughter is like " cool - forget everything " - just instantly.

She didn't know in that moment about Valeris or the Vulcans. Then Kirk suddenly forgives all Klingons for David's death.

On paper, you may have a point (in a Cinemasins kinda way), but, and I do not mean this in a disrespectful manner.... if you were not engaged in the film enough at that point such that those issues bothered you, I feel bad that was your experience with it. Not because it was your fault (unless of course you were trying to film flaws with it, in which case you should evaluate why you watch movies in the first place* :)), but because the film didn't do enough for you, allowing you to get entangled in some minor plot weeds that didn't hamper the enjoyment for what seems to be a high percentage of Trek fans. 

*Maybe you are the Cinemasins guy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3033 on: January 30, 2021, 12:57:20 AM »
Watched the second Lower Decks. It's quite fun.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: January 30, 2021, 02:14:11 AM »
I got a months free Prime. I re-watched all of PICARD - think I like it a bit more second time. Need to watch Lower Decks next.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3035 on: February 01, 2021, 06:33:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0G_qfAsVl4

Visited this place twice since it’s just across the bridge from my home in Vermont. The bridge is absolutely incredible, 100% accurate. My Instagram profile is a photo of me in the Captain’s Chair 🖖.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3036 on: February 01, 2021, 09:22:07 PM »
Finished TNG. On to DS9. I think we are going to watch the first 2 seasons, then Generations.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3037 on: February 02, 2021, 01:27:32 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0G_qfAsVl4

Visited this place twice since it’s just across the bridge from my home in Vermont. The bridge is absolutely incredible, 100% accurate. My Instagram profile is a photo of me in the Captain’s Chair 🖖.

All of that is just frickin' amazing!!! :tup  If we can (are allowed) to get to Cooperstown and then Montreal in the next couple of years, that is going to be an added stop.  Thanks for the head's up.

We went up to Philly more than a few years ago for the travelling display.  Sat in TNG Captain's chair, and just loved all the collected artifacts.  We have a 'hologramish' pic of us on the transporter, where if you slightly change the angle of view it appears that we have beamed down (or aboard).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: February 02, 2021, 01:58:58 AM »
Always smile at the fact that a show in the '60s thought a spaceship in 300 years would have wooden tables and right angles everywhere.

Did nobody think of designing curves on some of those edges ? :P

And Enterprise was supposed to be a luxury ship. Not a military ship.

They deffo got it a bit closer with Enterprise D.

Online Adami

« Reply #3039 on: February 02, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »
Watched the first 20 or so minutes of Generations, just to conclude the TOS era crew.

Overall? Fine. Obviously works better in the context of the movie. Stays in true character for Kirk, the man who just wants to be captain but isn't.

Scotty and Chekov were fine, but obviously they were just written to be anybody, which is why Spock wasn't there. But yea, farewell to the original gang.

On to TNG!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: February 02, 2021, 10:39:29 AM »
^ When Scotty says " Captain - is there something wrong with your chair ? " I can imagine Spock saying it.

But Nimoy was right - it could have been anyone's line - which is why he passed on it.

But I can definitely hear Spock saying that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: February 02, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »
I'm making my way through Season One of TNG and yeah it's bad.  ;D

The bridge lighting - the foley** - the acting - the characters haven't been nailed down yet. Picard is WAY more animated and jokey - Riker is basically Kirk part 2.

Data is a lot more "inquisitive tv robot trying to act human" - he even jokes around sometimes.

The dialogue is so stiff and awkward and doesn't sound like two people having a conversation.

Like - there's one moment where Riker suggests a course of action - and Picard shouts " THATS RIGHT " in a really excited jokey way.

It's so bizarre compared to how they all act from S3 onwards.

** - Like - when people move around the bridge - there's barely any backing sound or music so you can hear them thudding on the set.

There's long periods without any background audio or music which make it seem like a daytime soap opera.

The show was made in the mid eighties but it feels like it was made in the sixties. It definitely has the stink of TOS hanging around.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3042 on: February 02, 2021, 01:12:59 PM »
It doesn't help that the first two episodes: Encounter and Naked Now are a double whammy of awful! :lol

Some of the worst TNG episodes honestly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: February 02, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
They're completely fine compared to

Code Of Honor

Justice ( Wesley crushes a flower )

Angel One

Online Adami