Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275047 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2975 on: January 15, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »
In my all-time rankings of military officers/NCOs in film, Beringer is my favorite General.
Don't know if you're into Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul (you should be), but I just discovered last night that General Berringer (or Uncle Bob, if you're a few years older) played the rancher being evicted by Kim's client. They made him so old an haggard he was unrecognizable, though in retrospect the voice probably should have been a dead giveaway. He was only in three episodes, but he was great.

I'd need my wife to leave me, take the kids, and live to be 126 to be able to watch everything you've recommended to me over the years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2976 on: January 22, 2021, 02:15:29 AM »
Star Trek : Lower Decks is on Amazon Prime today outside the US. It's all 10 episodes so they're gonna have a boat load of free trials that get cancelled after a day.  :lol

I was dreading it but I saw the 1st episode and it was better than I was expecting. I thought it would be a third rate Family Guy clone but it was actually not bad.

I like the TNG setting as well.

Right - time to get my free trial so i can watch it  ;D :D

Edit : Done ! But I'll keep Prime for the 30 days incase I want to buy something and not pay postage  :D :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:21:44 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2977 on: January 22, 2021, 02:46:11 AM »
But I'll keep Prime for the 30 days incase I want to buy something and not pay postage  :D :D

I'd recommend 'The Expanse' - although it may not be a show you enjoy as it's story driven as opposed to episodic (that's not a burn I think I saw you post you prefer episodic shows) - but as you've got Prime for 30 days it maybe worth a watch, I'd say don't giveup till the end of Episode 4 - if it's not engaged you by then, then porbably not one for you.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2978 on: January 22, 2021, 08:17:40 AM »
Star Trek : Lower Decks is on Amazon Prime today outside the US. It's all 10 episodes so they're gonna have a boat load of free trials that get cancelled after a day.  :lol

I was dreading it but I saw the 1st episode and it was better than I was expecting. I thought it would be a third rate Family Guy clone but it was actually not bad.

I like the TNG setting as well.

Right - time to get my free trial so i can watch it  ;D :D

Edit : Done ! But I'll keep Prime for the 30 days incase I want to buy something and not pay postage  :D :D
I really like the idea of it, and the animation doesn't bother me at all. The high speed, madcap style wasn't the problem isn't really my thing, but I didn't hate it or anything. My only problem was that I just didn't find it very funny. The jokes just fell flat, I thought.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: January 22, 2021, 10:46:41 AM »
Yeah it's a bit frantic - which is weird as kids love that - but it also has some adult jokes so... Who is it for ?

I will watch a few episodes later.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2980 on: January 22, 2021, 04:01:55 PM »
So after putting it off for a bit too long, I watched Star Trek: The Final Frontier.

I remembered it being really bad but also thought I remembered a lot of really great character stuff. I hoped that, upon my rewatch, that it'd be better than I remember or at least better than people say.

I think I was mostly accurate the first time. The movie is a real mess. The writing is just...lazy? I dunno. Just didn't feel like they put a ton into writing it. Maybe it felt like a first draft or something. The directing was a bit up its own butt at times, trying to find some kind of voice or style, but never really did. Though the character interactions WERE largely great. I did cringe at row row row your boat, but other than I thought the characters were exactly who they would be. Apparently Shatner was praised by even George as a good presence on the set as a director. Also the scene where Spock and Bones face their pain was actually really well done. I love that Spock acknowledged that he needed his pain and did not choose to give it up. I thought that was a great moment.

Sybok was well acted and an interesting character but really should not have been Spock's brother. Maybe a former class mate? It's too weird to find out that Sarek had a former wife (I assume Vulcans don't just bang and ditch) and that Spock had a half brother that was never mentioned before or ever again. But a former classmate? Perfect. Even best friend.

Then at the end when Kirk says he almost lost a brother once, referring to Spock in Kahn, was odd since Kirk DID have a brother and DID lose that brother.

Overall, not a very good movie, but still more pleasant to watch than a lot of the newer stuff but I think that's almost entirely because I like the cast a lot more and they work better together.

Undiscovered Country is next. Followed by the opening scene of Generations before I start TNG.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2981 on: January 23, 2021, 12:28:05 AM »
Also the scene where Spock and Bones face their pain was actually really well done. I love that Spock acknowledged that he needed his pain and did not choose to give it up. I thought that was a great moment.

Long time since I've seen the film but I'm pretty sure it's Kirk that doesn't give up his pain isn't it. 
Final Frontier isn't as bad as its reputation.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: January 23, 2021, 03:42:11 AM »
Final Frontier definitely deserves it's reputation way more than Into Darkness or Nemesis...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2983 on: January 23, 2021, 04:58:45 AM »
Final Frontier definitely deserves it's reputation way more than Into Darkness or Nemesis...

Into Darkness doesn't have a bad rep does it?  It's the highest grossing Trek movie (even when adjusted for inflation) and both it's critical score (rottentomatoes and metacritic) and it's general public score (IMDb) are higher than most of the other Trek films. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:08:43 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: January 23, 2021, 06:38:47 AM »
Most people hated it coz its "lol wrath of khan remake!!! " when it clearly isnt. Nemesis Is. But nobody ever mentions that.

Also people love to go on about "action and splosions" as if being entertained for a couple of hours should be frowned upon.

Let's not pretend that if the TNG movies had a £300m budget they wouldn't be exactly the same...

Online Adami

« Reply #2985 on: January 23, 2021, 03:47:28 PM »
Also the scene where Spock and Bones face their pain was actually really well done. I love that Spock acknowledged that he needed his pain and did not choose to give it up. I thought that was a great moment.

Long time since I've seen the film but I'm pretty sure it's Kirk that doesn't give up his pain isn't it. 
Final Frontier isn't as bad as its reputation.

I literally just watched it. Spocks pain was his birth and his dads disappointment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2986 on: January 23, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
"So human"

Yeah, that was painful.  And it's been a while, so Spock may also have said something about needing his pain, but I think what soupy is talking about is the scene where Sybok wants to take away Kirk's pain and Kirk argues with him and refuses the procedure.  That was the scene that came to mind for me as well; Kirk's scene.  Maybe it was mass hallucination.

Online Adami

« Reply #2987 on: January 23, 2021, 04:00:06 PM »
"So human"

Yeah, that was painful.  And it's been a while, so Spock may also have said something about needing his pain, but I think what soupy is talking about is the scene where Sybok wants to take away Kirk's pain and Kirk argues with him and refuses the procedure.  That was the scene that came to mind for me as well; Kirk's scene.  Maybe it was mass hallucination.

I guess I meant more when Sybok tells Spock to come with him and that was Spocks response.

Either way, that whole scene was well done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2988 on: January 23, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen it but I really like The Final Frontier.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

« Reply #2989 on: January 23, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen it but I really like The Final Frontier.

It had some potential but sadly the script just was nowhere near good enough.

I think even Shatner admitted it was a great but failed experiment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2990 on: January 23, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
Count me in as someone who likes The Final Frontier.  It has its problems, and some non-great stuff, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.  Some of the character scenes we've recounted here are really quite strong, and they make the whole thing worthwhile.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2991 on: January 23, 2021, 08:06:44 PM »
I think even Shatner admitted it was a great but failed experiment.

A bunch of cast and crew have gone on record admitting it was a bit of a stumble, especially after the popular and successful run of II-III-IV. It also made them realize with their ages, VI was going to be the last chance to end on a high note.

When prepping for VI, check out the first teaser. I still remember seeing this in the theater at the time. Probably my favorite teaser ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfkkhEbUlY
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:04:04 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2992 on: January 27, 2021, 10:37:54 AM »
So I've enjoyed Star Trek....but judging from the comments in this thread I'm not nearly as ST educated as a few of you. I started with TNG which I loved......then watched and enjoyed 'Enterprise'.....seen all the movies old and new.....and have seen the first two seasons of 'Discovery'.....need to get to S3 as I really dig that show as well.

My question is....is Deep Space 9 or Voyager worth the time investment?

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2993 on: January 27, 2021, 10:40:02 AM »
DS9 is the best of the series IMO. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #2994 on: January 27, 2021, 10:41:08 AM »
So I've enjoyed Star Trek....but judging from the comments in this thread I'm not nearly as ST educated as a few of you. I started with TNG which I loved......then watched and enjoyed 'Enterprise'.....seen all the movies old and new.....and have seen the first two seasons of 'Discovery'.....need to get to S3 as I really dig that show as well.

My question is....is Deep Space 9 or Voyager worth the time investment?

Yes. Very much so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2995 on: January 27, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »
Yes. Very much so.

DS9 is the best of the series IMO. 

Thanks  :tup   I've been on the fence whether or not to invest the time. I'll trust your guys endorsement.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2996 on: January 27, 2021, 11:21:07 AM »
DS9 probably is the best of the series, but most of VOY is at an equally high level. In terms of being an investment in time, I'd rank them both as more valuable than TNG and ENT (fuck STD). And if it's been a while, there are probably three or four episodes of TNG that you might want to revisit. They did a fair amount to set up DS9. It's strictly optional, the pilot is highly expository (way too much, IMO), but might help things along.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2997 on: January 27, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »
DS9 starts out very slow IMO(First episode is really good). But soon it starts building towards something truly incredible. So stick with it, even if the early episodes seem to drag on!

VOY is also good. Not as good as DS9, but it does find it's groove eventually.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: January 27, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
Avery Brooks acting in DS9 " The Emissary " is really bad though.

I still have to binge watch DS9. a few years ago I binge watched all of VOY and then ENT. I just need to START DS9 and then i'm sure i'll end up finishing it.

------

About a year ago I watched 1 Star Trek movie a night for 13 nights ( and then All Good Things ) ;)

And yeah Final Frontier is easily the worst one. Then Insurrection.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2999 on: January 27, 2021, 12:41:48 PM »
Avery Brooks acting in DS9 " The Emissary " is really bad though.
I agree, but it's pretty typical for him. And the writing is worse than his acting, honestly. The premise was great, but there was just too much clumsy exposition.

I still have to binge watch DS9. a few years ago I binge watched all of VOY and then ENT. I just need to START DS9 and then i'm sure i'll end up finishing it.
The first three seasons are actually pretty good. They just suffer from not being about the Dominion. Since we know how good it will become it's pretty underwhelming out of the gate. They also hadn't really hammered out the characters yet. Dax in particular didn't really click until midway through S2, and it was the end of S2 when Garak really became a character.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3000 on: January 27, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »
DS9.
TOS
TNG
Modern Shows
Ent.
VOY.

That would be my order.  I could never rewatch Voyager aside from the bland writing so many of the characters are awful - Neelix (I genuinely think he's the worst TV character ever), Kes, Chatotay, Kim and Niomi Wildman....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3001 on: January 27, 2021, 01:17:00 PM »
Since we know how good it will become it's pretty underwhelming out of the gate.

That's most Trek shows.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3002 on: January 27, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »
DS9
TNG/TOS
STD
ENT
VOY
PICARD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3003 on: January 27, 2021, 10:20:20 PM »
I like Tilly.

(I like redheads...)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: January 28, 2021, 02:49:43 AM »
Tilly is way way more irritating than Wes Crusher ever was.

One of the things i'm glad Trek mostly dropped for good after TNG S3 is

* Alien beams aboard Enterprise

" Greetings i'm captain Pic..."

Alien : " SHOW ME ALL THE WOMEN ".

S1 of TNG is terrible for it. There's that one episode where Riker and Worf are just walking around and Riker flat out asks Worf is he likes sex.

The dialogue in TNG S1 is so wooden and matter-of-fact. It's like the characters are only there to spell out the moral of the story for the audience.

S2 is a lot better and S3 onwards is obviously where it gets really good. But S1 and S2 of TNG still has the TOS smell on it. With the horrible synthy score that severely ages it

upon rewatching.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3005 on: January 28, 2021, 04:54:33 AM »
I'll take Tilly over Wes but there are moments that have grated for me with her too. She's a great idea for a character, I think, and a great actress, but hasn't been deployed to the greatest effect in Disco.

I think this is a general problem with many aspects of the show. Like a painter having all the paints and equipment but not being mature or careful enough to use them with restraint or in the right place.

There's a lot of TNG/TOS that is pants but when good they provided the core for the rest to follow.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3006 on: January 28, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
Wes is the typical super intelligent kid in a sci fi show, he's annoying and way to many of the early TNG revolved around Wes saving the day - Will Wheaton wasn't a bad actor (He's good in Stand By Me) but he's letdown by some really bad writing both in dialog and character....but I actually prefer Wes over Worf's son Alexander - thankfully he wasn't in the show much but when he was.......awful.  Once Wes left it hurt Beverly Crusher who's one trait was 'Mother' and when he left she didn't even have that anymore.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: January 28, 2021, 07:09:04 AM »
The Alexander actor was like they gave him the line the second before calling Action.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3008 on: January 28, 2021, 08:12:48 AM »
One of the things i'm glad Trek mostly dropped for good after TNG S3 is

* Alien beams aboard Enterprise

" Greetings i'm captain Pic..."

Alien : " SHOW ME ALL THE WOMEN ".

S1 of TNG is terrible for it. There's that one episode where Riker and Worf are just walking around and Riker flat out asks Worf is he likes sex.
Two things to remember. One, it was 1987. Attitudes towards women were very different. Since the TNG crew were essentially post-human, the aliens portrayed modern humanity and viewing women as pretty things you want to fuck wasn't shameful as it is now. The other thing is that Roddenberry was pervy as all getout. They were constantly having to scrub his hyper-sexualized story lines out. If you noticed a change in S3 that was pretty understandable as that's when he was mostly gone from the production.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: January 28, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »
DS9
TNG/TOS
STD
ENT
VOY
PICARD

To be consistent, shouldn't Discovery be abbreviated DIS?