Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275210 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2835 on: December 18, 2020, 06:20:36 AM »
So I am so conflicted on the most recent 2 parter. I mean...I didn't hate it. I actually kind of enjoyed a lot of it. But I also recognize that it's terrible. I dunno? Maybe this team just should've done Mirror Universe Trek instead of this. Their sensibilities seem to be more in line with the Terran Empire than Starfleet. I think it'd make more sense to just make everything mirror universe rather than constantly making the prime universe as dark as humanly possible at every turn.

Anyway, I'm glad she's gone. She was fun for a bit but so 1 dimensional that I could only see her from a certain angle. I thought the Guardian of Forever coming back was duuuuumb. I thought almost everything about the episodes were duuuuuumb. I thought the writing was duuuuumb. But somehow, maybe the acting/directing, I didn't despise the episodes. I'd still give them a 5-6/10, but that's a big step up from the 3/10 I've been considering most of this season.

I've read some rumblings online that there might be a Georgiou spinoff that starts from the point of her departure on Discovery.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: December 18, 2020, 07:15:41 AM »
Well there's been a Section 31 spin off in the works for ages now.

I'm not sure where she has gone back to - but is there even a Section 31 in the Mirror Universe ?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2837 on: December 18, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »
Well there's been a Section 31 spin off in the works for ages now.

I'm not sure where she has gone back to - but is there even a Section 31 in the Mirror Universe ?

Haha I feel like that would be redundant. The entire mirror universe is basically section 31.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2838 on: December 18, 2020, 11:44:46 AM »
I feel like S31 is supposed to be the covert / militaristic side of Starfleet.

The Terran Empire is just flat out evil.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2839 on: December 18, 2020, 11:50:42 AM »
I feel like S31 is supposed to be the covert / militaristic side of Starfleet.

The Terran Empire is just flat out evil.

True. But, at least in Discovery, they mostly just seem evil. There’s a reason they so quickly took in Phillipa.

I also just feel like, at least right now, a S31 show is just redundant. It's like "What if Star Trek was dark, and gritty, and showed you just how horrible people really are, and how awful the systems in which we operate truly are.....well here's Discovery" and now they're like "Well...what if we get REALLY dark and gritty....etc." Like, god damn man. The current ST universe (that has aired) is already so god damn dark and reflecting the awful nature of mankind..do we really need a show that just further emphasizes it?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:00:43 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2840 on: December 18, 2020, 12:59:04 PM »
Yeah I don't give 2 sh*ts about the S31 show. Hopefully it's a one and done show. 10 episodes. Finished. Move on to

Strange New Worlds - which is what i'm looking forward to the most.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2841 on: December 18, 2020, 03:02:25 PM »
This two parter was a waste of at least one episode. I'd pay one to get rid of Philippa, tho. Yeoh was good but the writing was crap. Bleugh. And that scene where they're at her "wake" didn't fit at all. Would have been much better had half of them said "good riddance" rather than try and make it all fluffy.

I don't get the "it's so dark" pov, Adami. It doesn't feel that way to me. But this season has got lost in the middle.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2842 on: December 18, 2020, 03:39:44 PM »
Discovery is losing me now, the run of the last few episodes is probably the lowest point since the pilot.   Mandolorian is so fanwanky and stupid now it'd make JJ roll his eyes.

Thank fuck The Expanse is back.

//I hate shitting on Star Trek (apart from Insurrections) but this is really bleh now...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2843 on: December 18, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »
Yeah, they've found a good setting and Admiral Vance is really watchable but they've not really had one good story. Except the plant ship one. I also hate to criticise Trek but this has been an overall disappointment, unfortunately. Wonder what they'll do for the last three.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2844 on: December 19, 2020, 06:19:34 AM »
Discovery is losing me now, the run of the last few episodes is probably the lowest point since the pilot.   Mandolorian is so fanwanky and stupid now it'd make JJ roll his eyes.

//I hate shitting on Star Trek (apart from Insurrections) but this is really bleh now...

I'm starting to feel the same way about Discovery. Off topic for the ST thread but I've only seen the SW prequels and original trilogy, how lost would I be watching the Mandalorian?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2845 on: December 21, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »

I'm starting to feel the same way about Discovery. Off topic for the ST thread but I've only seen the SW prequels and original trilogy, how lost would I be watching the Mandalorian?
You'd be fine.  It's set about 5 years or so after Return of the Jedi.  It features some characters from some of the animated shows, but I've never seen any of those and I never felt lost.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2846 on: December 24, 2020, 03:26:30 AM »
Latest episode.

I'm going to ape my good Trek buddy Adami and review it in one word.......dumb.

This is actually heading towards being the worst season of new Trek.  I hope the last two episode can salvage something.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2847 on: December 24, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »

This is actually heading towards being the worst season of new Trek. 

Not whilst Picard S1 exists. I love Trek but Picard was a train wreck.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: December 26, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »
Back to TNG with a decent 3-episode stretch!

Hollow Pursuits: Didn't like the actor playing Barclay, the holodeck scenes were obviously designed to be funny but were flat as fuck. However, I think this episode heavily inspired an episode I saw of The Orville so it was fun seeing where all that came from.

Also.. I've paid a lot of suspension-of-disbelief to the holodeck account so far, but give me a freakin break; people can walk in on each other's personalized programs?! Let's say LaForge and Riker can.. because of their rank, fine, but is there just one holodeck? To be used by one person at a time and if you enter it; you walk right into that person's fantasy? They never referred to different holodeck chambers or anything like that, when you say someone's in the holodeck, it's that one room everybody heads to.

The Most Toys: An excellent episode with a strong ToS vibe to it. No Data episode has failed me thus far! The actor and the writing for the character is still exceptional, it seems to me like Data and Pickard were the only two characters that the writers had a clear understanding of from the get-go.

Fajo.. a standard ToS-type villain, made special by an amazing actor. All his one-on-one scenes with Data were simply outstanding, especially the last one. His portrayal of confidence that Data won't kill him, mixed with mock pity of Data's predicament, quickly turning into the realization that Data is indeed contemplating murder which turns into unspoken despair, I just loved that scene! And I only spoke of Fajo's half of it, Spiner's subtle acting was just as phenomenal here.

I looked up the guy, his name is Saul Rubinek, criminally underused actor IMO. We almost didn't even get him for this, I found a different actor was originally set to play Fajo.

Do you guys think Data intentionally shot the gun? We know for sure the gun was shot, it didn't feel like Data's intent was meant to be ambiguous, even though it would have been cool if it were. But Data seemingly lying to Riker about it, cast some doubt for me. Data can't lie, right?

I find it a little silly whenever we're reminded that everything needs to happen within the main cast of characters and the guest stars. Data's gone! We need someone to replace him at ops; that heavily technical navigational job, Oh I know, let's get the chief of security to do it! I mean, we already know his name and he's like a few feet away from where we need him to be heh

Sarek: At first I thought "Pretty sure that's Spock's dad" then I was "Pretty sure that's the same actor who played Spock's dad in ToS", so I paused to check and was happy to confirm it!
This has got to be the first direct connection to ToS since I briefly saw Bones in the pilot!
I enjoyed seeing the crew acting more human, that heated argument between LaForge and Wesley, yeah it was a bit forced, but it felt more natural and human than most conversations on the show.
Then Picard said SPOCK!
It was pretty cool, I've come to consider TnG a very separate and detached universe than ToS over the 3 season seasons and it was cool to see it acknowledge it again.
I need to watch the movies after Wrath of Khan, I should know where the ToS characters are supposed to be, or else TNG may spoil it sooner or later, I feel.
I did a little geek digging, to see if Sarek being 200 years old adds up. So Kirk's mission was from 2207 to 2212 according to Wikipedia and Data said in the first season that TnG is happening in 2364, which should make Sarek somewhere in his mid-50's when we saw him on ToS.. Spock possibly being 30, I dunno.
The episode itself was cool.

I think I'm finally at peace with the actor playing Riker, I think he found a happy medium by late season 3.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2849 on: December 26, 2020, 12:22:59 PM »
One word about the latest Discovery episode: Weird.

The revelation about the burn, again really weird. Not what I expected but bit of an anticlimax still!

The two-parter before that was good. They had a world class actor in Michelle Yeoh, and they could have done something really interesting with her character. Instead she gets written out of the show. ???

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2850 on: December 26, 2020, 12:45:45 PM »

Also.. I've paid a lot of suspension-of-disbelief to the holodeck account so far, but give me a freakin break; people can walk in on each other's personalized programs?! Let's say LaForge and Riker can.. because of their rank, fine, but is there just one holodeck? To be used by one person at a time and if you enter it; you walk right into that person's fantasy? They never referred to different holodeck

They pretty much always say " He is on Holodeck (x) " as in 2 or 3 etc...

The Most Toys.....I always had a problem with the ending. Data cannot kill a living being and cannot tell a lie. But he both intended to kill Fajo and then lied about it. .

It would be more like Data to say " Kivas Fajo murdered his wife. He intended to kill more and disassemble me. I found I had no alternative after weighing up the situation carefully. "

Also - Data is fast and extremely strong. He could have dodged the phaser blast and rendered Fajo unconscious easily - OR just stunned him with a lower setting.

I don't understand the ending. Honestly if it was a DSC episode and it was Saru who killed some dude and then lied about it - completely out of character

- people would be ripping the episode a new one.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2851 on: December 26, 2020, 03:55:37 PM »
Was pleasantly surprised by the latest Disco episode. Deffo weird but really enjoyed it.

Will save some overall thoughts about the session until the end.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: December 26, 2020, 05:39:46 PM »
They pretty much always say " He is on Holodeck (x) " as in 2 or 3 etc...

I seem to always miss that then..

The Most Toys.....I always had a problem with the ending. Data cannot kill a living being and cannot tell a lie. But he both intended to kill Fajo and then lied about it. .

I was wondering if we're meant to question whether or not the disruptor discharge was an accident related to it being transported shortly after having been fired, we know that disruptor is a banned prototype, so it can malfunction, especially during the state of beaming/transport. They just haven't done enough to throw us off though, visually; everything is leaning towards it being Data firing the weapon and lying about it.

Also - Data is fast and extremely strong. He could have dodged the phaser blast and rendered Fajo unconscious easily - OR just stunned him with a lower setting.

Fajo had that green forcefield thing in his belt which prevented Data from getting close to him, "This is a proximity-actuated field. It impedes positron flow" - Fajo.
Also that disruptor weapon is not a phaser, it doesn't have various settings.
Man I feel geeky right now  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2853 on: December 26, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »
I don't remember if it was ever specified that Data could not kill someone or could not lie.  It's not like he had to follow Asimov's Three Rules of Robotics.  Data was made by Soong, who also made Lore, and Lore was a freakin' psycho.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2854 on: December 27, 2020, 04:32:33 AM »
I feel like they did tell us at some point that Data cannot lie or murder, I maybe wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2855 on: December 27, 2020, 05:10:37 AM »
I've seen this same question elsewhere and nobody can agree on a definitive answer.

However - for my money - Data would have 'fessed up to Riker about having no other course of action - and that if he had tried to escape again - Fajo would have definitely killed more people

and that he had no other option. Like in the episode with the repair - robots which Data realises are self-aware and he disobeys a direct order and locks out the transporters - putting actual

Starfleet crewmen in danger so the ExoComps will not be damaged. Or something. So there is a precedent for him doing the "wrong" thing and explaining himself later.

It's not like he locked out the transporters and then was all like " Meh dunno m8 - prolly broken innit ".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2856 on: December 27, 2020, 05:24:48 AM »
ALSO

I noticed earlier that Star Trek Nemesis is all about clones and/or inferior copies and the whole film is an inferior copy of The Wrath of Khan. The film is a comment on itself.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2857 on: December 27, 2020, 08:43:11 AM »
I've seen this same question elsewhere and nobody can agree on a definitive answer.

However - for my money - Data would have 'fessed up to Riker about having no other course of action - and that if he had tried to escape again - Fajo would have definitely killed more people

and that he had no other option. Like in the episode with the repair - robots which Data realises are self-aware and he disobeys a direct order and locks out the transporters - putting actual

I feel like they gave us his reasoning, but also gave us an out, just to keep things a little blurry.  Data says out loud how Fajo is capable of doing great harm without remorse and finally "I cannot permit this to continue" as he prepares to fire.  We the viewers know that Data was about to blast Fajo, but they didn't want to actually show Data straight-up murdering someone, so that's when the transporter grabbed him.  His remark to Riker about how maybe something happened during transport, while seeming (maybe to Riker) to explain things, just reinforced the idea that Data was going to kill Fajo.  It's like "Something happened during transport?  Come on, dude, you were just about to blast him!"  We know the truth, even if Riker chose to let it go.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2858 on: December 28, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »
Back to TNG with a decent 3-episode stretch!

Hollow Pursuits: Didn't like the actor playing Barclay, the holodeck scenes were obviously designed to be funny but were flat as fuck. However, I think this episode heavily inspired an episode I saw of The Orville so it was fun seeing where all that came from.

Also.. I've paid a lot of suspension-of-disbelief to the holodeck account so far, but give me a freakin break; people can walk in on each other's personalized programs?! Let's say LaForge and Riker can.. because of their rank, fine, but is there just one holodeck? To be used by one person at a time and if you enter it; you walk right into that person's fantasy? They never referred to different holodeck chambers or anything like that, when you say someone's in the holodeck, it's that one room everybody heads to.

The Most Toys: An excellent episode with a strong ToS vibe to it. No Data episode has failed me thus far! The actor and the writing for the character is still exceptional, it seems to me like Data and Pickard were the only two characters that the writers had a clear understanding of from the get-go.

Fajo.. a standard ToS-type villain, made special by an amazing actor. All his one-on-one scenes with Data were simply outstanding, especially the last one. His portrayal of confidence that Data won't kill him, mixed with mock pity of Data's predicament, quickly turning into the realization that Data is indeed contemplating murder which turns into unspoken despair, I just loved that scene! And I only spoke of Fajo's half of it, Spiner's subtle acting was just as phenomenal here.

I looked up the guy, his name is Saul Rubinek, criminally underused actor IMO. We almost didn't even get him for this, I found a different actor was originally set to play Fajo.

Do you guys think Data intentionally shot the gun? We know for sure the gun was shot, it didn't feel like Data's intent was meant to be ambiguous, even though it would have been cool if it were. But Data seemingly lying to Riker about it, cast some doubt for me. Data can't lie, right?

I find it a little silly whenever we're reminded that everything needs to happen within the main cast of characters and the guest stars. Data's gone! We need someone to replace him at ops; that heavily technical navigational job, Oh I know, let's get the chief of security to do it! I mean, we already know his name and he's like a few feet away from where we need him to be heh

Sarek: At first I thought "Pretty sure that's Spock's dad" then I was "Pretty sure that's the same actor who played Spock's dad in ToS", so I paused to check and was happy to confirm it!
This has got to be the first direct connection to ToS since I briefly saw Bones in the pilot!
I enjoyed seeing the crew acting more human, that heated argument between LaForge and Wesley, yeah it was a bit forced, but it felt more natural and human than most conversations on the show.
Then Picard said SPOCK!
It was pretty cool, I've come to consider TnG a very separate and detached universe than ToS over the 3 season seasons and it was cool to see it acknowledge it again.
I need to watch the movies after Wrath of Khan, I should know where the ToS characters are supposed to be, or else TNG may spoil it sooner or later, I feel.
I did a little geek digging, to see if Sarek being 200 years old adds up. So Kirk's mission was from 2207 to 2212 according to Wikipedia and Data said in the first season that TnG is happening in 2364, which should make Sarek somewhere in his mid-50's when we saw him on ToS.. Spock possibly being 30, I dunno.
The episode itself was cool.

I think I'm finally at peace with the actor playing Riker, I think he found a happy medium by late season 3.
I originally guessed 10 years for you to get through it all. Looks like I should have gone with 20.

Barclay will become a semi-recurring character. Particularly once VOY comes around. There's an epsiode where he becomes God which is very good. Totally the most ill-suited person for the gig, if you ask me.

Mark Leonard will come back as Sarak once or twice more. His death is also duly noted when the time comes. It's a good thing for the show, really, because it creates a real bond between Picard and Sarak, and eventually Spock.

As for The Most Toys, I agree about Saul Rubinek. He's been great in everything I've seen him in. In Unforgiven he was somewhat naive, looking to others to teach him what's going on. In True Romance he's cocky and powerful. Here he's confident but very thoughtful and methodical. Well rounded actor and good at whatever he does.

I shared the problem with the ending. Data would have had no problem greasing the guy. He very clearly posed an imminent threat to the others around him, especially after wasting his girlfriend just to watch it happen. His options were to shoot the guy or surrender and let the situation continue. Since he had know way of knowing he was going to be beamed out, he had to act. My problem was lying about it afterward.  I suppose it is possible that he was just throwing out some plausible deniability, like Orbert suggests, but Data would necessarily insist on putting every single detail into his log. His nature would prevent him from leaving it at "eh, beats me."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2859 on: December 28, 2020, 11:45:29 AM »
I agree. Even if Data went with " I choose not to divulge that information " - he would leave it at that - like in the Clues episode. I don't think he'd go with

" Eh - technology eh ? amirite ?! "...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2860 on: December 28, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »
We're talking about a guy who single-handedly humiliated an entire Romulan invasion fleet, and saved the federation in the process, and then submitted himself for disciplinary action as soon as he was done because he didn't follow orders exactly to the letter. Lying about a icing a guy is well beyond his capabilities.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: December 28, 2020, 12:19:01 PM »
I originally guessed 10 years for you to get through it all. Looks like I should have gone with 20.

Hey it gives me great comfort to know I have so much Star Trek in the bank  :lol
I'd go much faster if I get my job back, I did most of my ST viewing on the rig. At home I can barely fit it with the stuff I gotta watch with the misses heh
Only problem is that the current stuff spoils me a bit on social media, I know Riker, Picard and Data survive TnG because I've seen pictures of them from the new Picard show, but oh well.

As for The Most Toys, I agree about Saul Rubinek. He's been great in everything I've seen him in. In Unforgiven he was somewhat naive, looking to others to teach him what's going on. In True Romance he's cocky and powerful. Here he's confident but very thoughtful and methodical. Well rounded actor and good at whatever he does.

Here's something I think trekkies from the 90's may think is blasphemous; I believe Rubinek would have made an astronomically more interesting and intriguing Q, just based on his performance here.

I shared the problem with the ending. Data would have had no problem greasing the guy. He very clearly posed an imminent threat to the others around him, especially after wasting his girlfriend just to watch it happen. His options were to shoot the guy or surrender and let the situation continue. Since he had know way of knowing he was going to be beamed out, he had to act. My problem was lying about it afterward.  I suppose it is possible that he was just throwing out some plausible deniability, like Orbert suggests, but Data would necessarily insist on putting every single detail into his log. His nature would prevent him from leaving it at "eh, beats me."

I actually watched it again, I really feel like it's the director's fault, he either doesn't fully understand the script or the script was too foggy in pointing out that the ending needed to be more foggy, as in ambiguous. We really were meant to be uncertain on Data's intent, but it was filmed to look like we do know he meant to kill and lied about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: December 28, 2020, 01:11:40 PM »
John De Lancie is so perfect as Q though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2863 on: December 28, 2020, 02:46:38 PM »
Data didn't lie about it.  He suggested an explanation, which Riker accepted.  Splitting hairs, I know, but there is a difference.  Riker did not directly ask Data "Did you fire?" and Data did not deny it.  Data said that perhaps something happened during transport.  Weak, obvious answer, clearly dodging the question, but Riker did not pursue it.  I believe that Riker knows Data was firing and didn't push it any further.  I actually like that Data was ready to blast Fajo but didn't come clean about it.

We're talking about a guy who single-handedly humiliated an entire Romulan invasion fleet, and saved the federation in the process, and then submitted himself for disciplinary action as soon as he was done because he didn't follow orders exactly to the letter. Lying about a icing a guy is well beyond his capabilities.

Data turned himself in after the threat was over and the situation was dealt with.  It was the right thing to do.  Taking out a mass murdering psycho, in his calculation, was also the right thing to do.

I agree that it doesn't seem consistent with other things we've seen Data do.  I like that.  I like thinking that Data is not 100% consistent with his decisions, just as an actual person would not be.  It makes him more human.  The deal with the Romulans was all about power, military bullshit, and other politics.  Kivas Fajo was personal.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2864 on: December 28, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
Working on our complete watch through (minus Disc and Picard because they arent finished yet). We're through ENT, TOS, TAS, TMP through Undiscovered Country, and are working on TNG.

Here are  thoughts so far (Mind you I've seen most of these in some form, whether in passing or watched obsessively as a kid).

ENT: I LOVE Enterprise.  Absolutely love it. I watched Voyager as it aired but was too young to really follow it. Ent, on the other hand, I was REALLY into as it aired originally. I really wish it would have gone on longer. I really wanted to see the Romulan War).

TOS: So camp. Much 60s. The good episodes are great. The not good episodes are... oof.

TAS: Interesting... very interesting.

TMP: Seen it 100 times. I am pretty sure this was Jenna's first time watching it all the way through. Last time we watched I don't think she was really able to get into it and I was not in the mood for the snail's pace, so we turned it off. I do love it though.

TWoK: What's not to love about Khan?

Search for Spock: Honestly the movie out of the run of 2-3-4 I've seen the least. Love it.

Voyage Home: Had it on a copied VHS as a kid. Wore it out. Will always and forever Love it.

Final Frontier: I've seen bits and pieces over the years. Never was a fan of the concept. It's... fine.

Undiscovered Country: Honestly... my first time ever watching it. I always wrote it off, since what I had seen of Final Frontier was uninteresting. I actually really loved it!

Going forward...

I love TNG. Watched it more times than I can count. Same with Voyager (my favorite ST series), and I really enjoy DS9 (My least watched of the TNG series's)

Generations, like Voyage Home, is a movie I wore out as a kid. I think my Grandma had to copy it again so I could continue to watch it.

First Contact is probably my 3rd favorite movie, edged out by Generations and Voyage Home only due to their nolstagia.

I've seen Insurrection maybe once, finding it uninteresting.

Nemisis I've watched a dozen times and like it. It's not amazing, but could be much worse.

Now when it comes to the reboot movies, I've seen them all once. I didn't necessarily love them, but will come in to them with an open mind when we get to them.

I don't know what excites me more, watching it all, or the fact that she wanted to watch them all :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2865 on: December 31, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »
Ménage à Troi.. totally worth it just for Picard's poetry scene at the end, but the rest of the episode was pretty boring.
You put the Ferengi in an episode and it's silly. You put Lwaxana Troi in an episode and it's annoying. The mix of both is pretty bad.
What does it mean that Wesley was promoted to full Ensign?! I thought you can't get that without graduating the academy..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2866 on: December 31, 2020, 06:06:19 PM »
Ironically enough for me - I don't find Lwaxana annoying. I mean she is obviously written to be gregarious and outspoken and flamboyant -

- but Majel plays her *PERFECTLY*. The episode where she reveals that Deanna had a sister who died - Majel's acting is heartbreaking.

On the other hand - Deanna is not written to be irritating and useless - but she always is - and Guinan is the true ships counsellor.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2867 on: December 31, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »
Ironically enough for me - I don't find Lwaxana annoying. I mean she is obviously written to be gregarious and outspoken and flamboyant -

- but Majel plays her *PERFECTLY*. The episode where she reveals that Deanna had a sister who died - Majel's acting is heartbreaking.

On the other hand - Deanna is not written to be irritating and useless - but she always is - and Guinan is the true ships counsellor.

I refer to my quote in your signature.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2868 on: December 31, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »
The first season I couldn't stand Troi. "THE PAIN!"

But over the seasons they got her character right.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #2869 on: December 31, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »
Also should go without saying that last weeks discovery is contender for turd of the year.
fanticide.bandcamp.com