Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 276270 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2800 on: December 09, 2020, 08:06:52 AM »
That Captains doc is pretty weird - Shatner is a bit of a odd ball anyway (but yeah Avery definitely out nutjobs him).

On the flipside Rene Auberjonois is amazing as Odo gives the character real pathos - maybe my favorite Star Trek performance.
Can't argue about Shatner being an odd bird, but after watching that I thought he was a much better interviewer than people give him credit for. A lot of what he was doing was trying to illicit more complex answers from people after hearing something that intrigued him. He'd be listening to someone talk about something and you could see him light up when some aspect of that answer piqued his interest. He'd follow up with a story about himself that lead to exactly what he wanted to get out of the person he was talking to. What a lot of people called self-centeredness I saw as subtle manipulation. I thought it was fun to watch.

Yea. That documentary showed me that he was actually a great interviewer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2801 on: December 09, 2020, 09:12:03 AM »

Can't argue about Shatner being an odd bird, but after watching that I thought he was a much better interviewer than people give him credit for.
[/quote]

He seems a pretty funny guy.  He guest hosted an episode panel show here in the UK called 'Have I Got News For You' I was expecting a car crash....but he was genuinely great fun on it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2802 on: December 09, 2020, 09:18:54 AM »
a pretty funny guy.  He guest hosted an episode panel show here in the UK called 'Have I Got News For You' I was expecting a car crash....but he was genuinely great fun on it.

I need to see that one. I may have done but forgotten about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: December 09, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »
In fact - I don't need to watch it to know that he "hilariously" beams in to the host chair.

Because i've been into Trek since the mid 80s and every single show with a star trek guest does it.

Every. Single. One.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2804 on: December 10, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »
Newest Discovery Episode - Well it was different.

In fact - I don't need to watch it to know that he "hilariously" beams in to the host chair.

Because i've been into Trek since the mid 80s and every single show with a star trek guest does it.

Every. Single. One.

Shockingly they didn't do that....instead he walked in through a door behind the main set complete with ToS door opening sound effects.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2805 on: December 10, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »
Same diff !

I guess HIGNFY is a little less on the nose. They'd make a sh*t effect and make a big deal out of it being a sh*t effect. That's what I love about English humour.

I watched a 12 min film starring Brent Spiner last night where he is playing himself and starts singing out of the blue and swearing profusely...

It's been my theory for a while now that Brent is the Shatner of TNG. He thinks it's all about him and only plays up his Star Trek credentials when it suits HIM. ***

They both think they're hilarious and awesome when they're really just annoying.

Then it hit me yet a third time.

Brent Spiner.... Bill Shatner.... Both B.S.   :lol

*** I bet he was only coaxed back to play Data for Picard S1 if he could get a producers and writers credit etc etc...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2806 on: December 10, 2020, 08:46:46 AM »
Same diff !

I guess HIGNFY is a little less on the nose. They'd make a sh*t effect and make a big deal out of it being a sh*t effect. That's what I love about English humour.

I watched a 12 min film starring Brent Spiner last night where he is playing himself and starts singing out of the blue and swearing profusely...

It's been my theory for a while now that Brent is the Shatner of TNG. He thinks it's all about him and only plays up his Star Trek credentials when it suits HIM. ***

They both think they're hilarious and awesome when they're really just annoying.

Then it hit me yet a third time.

Brent Spiner.... Bill Shatner.... Both B.S.   :lol

*** I bet he was only coaxed back to play Data for Picard S1 if he could get a producers and writers credit etc etc...

I sure I've either read or seen an interview with Spiner where he says he has never watched TNG.

Online Adami

« Reply #2807 on: December 10, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »
Newest episode of Discovery....I dunno. I definitely didn’t like it but I don’t think I hated it either. It was, at least, different. Dumb, mostly but it’s a two parter so I’ll have to judge it more clearly after part 2.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: December 10, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »
Discovery S3 is such an improvement on S2 that I wonder how the hell they messed up so badly with Picard.

They could have made a fun light optimistic Picard goes on a new adventure story - and it would have been a huge win.

but instead they made the absolute antithesis of TNG.

Giant mis-step. It started ok and I didn't mind the conclusion - but yeah S2 needs to be basically TNG S8 in comparison.

Hopefully it will improve as all Trek shows improve after S1. Just look at TNG S1 compared to S3.

Plus a LOT of people complained that Picard S1 was way too dark and violent. So there is that too.

I may still get the DVD just to have it and re-assess it. But the whole Picard Is Now a Replicant just made me feel icky.

You could argue that you die and and just copied every time you transport.

But PIcard being DEAD and a copy of his consciousness and memories in a new body is just ...weird.

Online Adami

« Reply #2809 on: December 10, 2020, 12:45:44 PM »
So, are we to assume that Carl is the guardian of forever?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2810 on: December 11, 2020, 02:13:44 AM »
Discovery S3 is such an improvement on S2 that I wonder how the hell they messed up so badly with Picard.

I was on fence a few episodes back, but with the mostly lackluster recent episodes I think Season 2 is better than Season 3 (so far).  Season 2 obviously had Pike who was the best character on the show..........but even though the storyline was somewhat convoluted ever episode added to it.   Season 3 fell into the Madalorian trap of spinning it's wheels and having a lot of episodes turn into similar fetch quests.  Also I was really hoping to spend more time with the B Characters and in reality we've generally seen less of them!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: December 11, 2020, 08:27:08 AM »
S3 is more like a modern TNG so far. With the morality stuff. S2 just felt like they made it up as thy went along and had to tie everything up in the last episode.

Online Adami

« Reply #2812 on: December 11, 2020, 08:28:32 AM »
S3 is more like a modern TNG so far. With the morality stuff. S2 just felt like they made it up as thy went along and had to tie everything up in the last episode.

Other than episode 3 and maybe an element here or there, I really don’t see this at all. This season is only slightly above season 1 for me thus far, which itself is only slightly higher than Picard, which is at the very bottom. For me. Personally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2813 on: December 11, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »
Solid episode. Didn't love or hate it but it felt "right". Everything before they went through the door was great. O do love the head Starfleet guy. Bang on. Still don't remember his name...

The mirror stuff was ok. I never like anything in the mirror world but Discovery does it better than every other Trek show, imo, so some consolation. I'm really hoping Lorca shows up somehow. Really liked him.

So far I think season 3 is just under season 2 but I also enjoyed season 1.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

« Reply #2814 on: December 11, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »
Rewatch continues! Tonight was Wrath of Khan.

You know what? I'm going to state a very VERY controversial opinion.

This is the best Star Trek movie.  :biggrin:

Seriously, it is just written beautifully. It's pacing, it's set up and pay offs, the immense foreshadowing, the characters, the arcs, are all just so amazingly well done. From Kirk saying to Spock "aren't you supposed to be dead?" at the beginning, to Moby Dick being one of Khan's books. A ton of examples of great foreshadowing and set up. The characters are well developed and their actions are logical within their own character development and nothing seems there just for the sake of hitting a certain beat or giving the crowd an energy rush. I even became a bit emotional at Spock's death, and I've seen this a hundred times.

Anywho, this is the best of the movies, to me at least, and a great display that Star Trek doesn't have to have tons of action and craziness to work. The most insane moments are maybe a 7/10 on an action scale. A movie can have slow character moments if they're well written. A movie can have small action moments that aren't a 7/10 on an action scale just to keep you entertained until the 12/10 action moment. This movie was able to nail all of it.

I know Search for Spock isn't great, but it's next on my list and I'm looking forward to being back with the gang.

Also, I've decided to add the Abrams movies to my rewatch. I did not really care for Star Trek 2009, despite it being okay. I really hated Into Darkness to the point that I turned it off after 30 or so minutes out of disgust and never finished it. So I'll give them all another shot and see if anything's changed for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2815 on: December 11, 2020, 06:30:36 PM »
STII is my favorite movie and I could talk about it for hours.

Don't worry, I won't. Adami very sufficiently outlined its brilliance. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #2816 on: December 11, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »
STII is my favorite movie and I could talk about it for hours.

Don't worry, I won't. Adami very sufficiently outlined its brilliance.

I will say this, Shatner (prior to COVID) was doing theater tours for it. Where they'd show the movie and he'd come on stage and talk about it. So I was like HELL YEA and bought tickets to the Minneapolis one, since I was living in North Dakota. Few days before he cancels, no explanation given. Fine. Whatever.

Then my graduation was coming up, and my mom was flying in from Israel to be there. It was in LA and just an hour or so away, around the same time, he was doing another one. So I bought tickets for both of us since she's a huge Trekie too. Few days before? Cancels. No explanation.

Dammit!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: December 11, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »
Dammit Jim, what the hell?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2818 on: December 12, 2020, 02:47:12 AM »
That Sucks Adami!

Just noticed there is only three episodes of Disco left this season.  Presuming the next one will still do dealing with Georgio in the Mirror Universe.....I'd guess the Emerald Chain has attacked Star Fleet while Disco is on this mission - Disco returns has to go and collect allies (the places it visited in the middle episodes - Earth, Vulcan/Romulan and maybe Trill) to defeat the Emerald Chain in the finale.   The Burn mystery will carry though to next season, although the final few minutes of this Season will probably drop a cliffhanger infomation dump about it  (maybe the music starts playing as all the new allies celebrate).

Probably play out nothing like that!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: December 12, 2020, 03:52:30 AM »
Star Trek 2 is such a masterpiece - it's no wonder they keep drawing from it.

No - Into Darkness is NOT a Khan remake... It borrows one scene and reverses it.

Star Trek Nemesis - is a beat for beat remake of The Wrath of Khan - but nobody ever calls that the Khan remake.

Star trek Beyond is 100% the best of the 3 "abrams" movies - even though he didn't direct it. Although it's quite a murky film. They really needed the same DOP as 2009 and Into Darkness.

There were moments in the cinema where I just could not see what was going on as the film is so underlit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: December 12, 2020, 03:55:34 AM »

Just noticed there is only three episodes of Disco left this season.

4 in total.

Terra Firma Part 2
The Citadel
The Good of the People
Outside.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2821 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:56 AM »
Bad luck re Shatner, Adami! That guy...

TWOK is rightly legendary. I may have to re-watch it over the Xmas break.

Really enjoyed ST:B, too. I'm sure they'll end up doing another Kelvin movie. I'm hoping they end up tying it into Discovery somehow. I think that's the best hope for the franchise.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: December 12, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »
Star trek Discovery is 33rd Century Prime Timeline

Star Trek Kelvin Universe is 23rd Century Alt timeline.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2823 on: December 12, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »
I know, man.   ;)

The guy in the last episode of Discovery was said to have crossed from the Kelvin universe to the Discovery universe, so I read.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2824 on: December 12, 2020, 12:23:38 PM »
The guy in the TNG uniform that the doc and kovich were taking about in the intro.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/12/05/preview-for-next-weeks-star-trek-discovery-reveals-a-surprising-crossover/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:31:01 PM by DoctorAction »

Online Adami

« Reply #2825 on: December 12, 2020, 02:53:31 PM »
I know, man.   ;)

The guy in the last episode of Discovery was said to have crossed from the Kelvin universe to the Discovery universe, so I read.

You mean David Cronenberg? I must've missed that. Did he say that? And did they actually call it the Kelvin Universe?

If so, that might be where I just totally stop taking this seriously. It was bad enough that they actually called it the Mirror Universe.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 04:15:54 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2826 on: December 12, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »
I don't have a problem with time travel, parallel universes, warp drives, transporters, spore drives, time crystals, replicators or anything else, tbh. It's all fantasy afaic.

Online Adami

« Reply #2827 on: December 12, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »
I don't have a problem with time travel, parallel universes, warp drives, transporters, spore drives, time crystals, replicators or anything else, tbh. It's all fantasy afaic.

It’s not what. It’s how. They can’t just write whatever they want and say “it’s fantasy, stop wanting it to be well thought out”.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2828 on: December 12, 2020, 11:09:41 PM »
Star trek Beyond is 100% the best of the 3 "abrams" movies - even though he didn't direct it. Although it's quite a murky film. They really needed the same DOP as 2009 and Into Darkness.
Funny you mention the DP. I actually agree with you. With a better director of photography the first 8 or so minutes would have been excellent. The next two hours were going to be shit either way, but at least there'd be something redeeming about the movie.  I really liked the breakdown in negotiations to start the movie and Kirk's monologue about the pointlessness of what they're doing. I just didn't like the constant rolling of the camera everywhere. What's wrong with straight lines from time to time? Once they get to the snow globe it just becomes another action flick with familiar characters battling the generic alien of the week.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2829 on: December 13, 2020, 12:04:17 AM »

It’s not what. It’s how. They can’t just write whatever they want and say “it’s fantasy, stop wanting it to be well thought out”.

I hear what you're saying, but so much Trek isn't like that so i don't need it or expect it. Reroute power through the deflector array? Again? Tachyon beam? AGAIN?! Transporters gone funny again? Wesley has the answer?!!

;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: December 13, 2020, 08:24:10 AM »

If so, that might be where I just totally stop taking this seriously.

They did not. And it was the Yor alien in the TNG era uniform . They simply said he crossed over from an alternate reality which was the result of a Romulan Mining Ship incursion.

That with the existence of Vulcan in Discovery is just like them pretty much saying Disco is PRIME TIMELINE. People will still say it isn't though.

Along with the " Everything has to be 20% different " rumour that was debunked several times but still dug up by "fans"...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: December 13, 2020, 08:26:12 AM »
The next two hours were going to be shit either way, but at least there'd be something redeeming about the movie.  I really liked the breakdown in negotiations to start the movie and Kirk's monologue about the pointlessness of what they're doing. I just didn't like the constant rolling of the camera everywhere. What's wrong with straight lines from time to time? Once they get to the snow globe it just becomes another action flick with familiar characters battling the generic alien of the week.

Now imagine if i'd posted all this about Star Wars in the Star Wars thread...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Online Adami

« Reply #2833 on: December 17, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »
So I am so conflicted on the most recent 2 parter. I mean...I didn't hate it. I actually kind of enjoyed a lot of it. But I also recognize that it's terrible. I dunno? Maybe this team just should've done Mirror Universe Trek instead of this. Their sensibilities seem to be more in line with the Terran Empire than Starfleet. I think it'd make more sense to just make everything mirror universe rather than constantly making the prime universe as dark as humanly possible at every turn.

Anyway, I'm glad she's gone. She was fun for a bit but so 1 dimensional that I could only see her from a certain angle. I thought the Guardian of Forever coming back was duuuuumb. I thought almost everything about the episodes were duuuuuumb. I thought the writing was duuuuumb. But somehow, maybe the acting/directing, I didn't despise the episodes. I'd still give them a 5-6/10, but that's a big step up from the 3/10 I've been considering most of this season.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: December 17, 2020, 09:47:19 AM »
I've not seen Terra Firma Part 2 yet.

So is Emperor G gone now ? That's a relief. No diss on Michelle Yeoh - but I really hated her character.

It seemed like in the last 2 eps they made her even more annoying on purpose.