Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 276970 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2695 on: November 07, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
That was an outstanding episode.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2696 on: November 07, 2020, 01:16:53 PM »
I’ll write a review and remove any negative opinions.

There it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2697 on: November 07, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »

Agreed, best of the season. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2698 on: November 07, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »

There it is.

I don't get why you're so afraid to post negative opinions, no matter how wrong they are.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2699 on: November 07, 2020, 11:11:34 PM »

I don't know about this being best of the season so far, but very solid episode regardless!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2700 on: November 08, 2020, 12:16:45 AM »

I don't know about this being best of the season so far, but very solid episode regardless!

I've always been a big fan of the more character driven episodes of Trek, especially emotional ones. They really handled the whole scenario with the Trill symbiote nicely.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2701 on: November 08, 2020, 03:12:05 AM »
The last two episodes have just felt like modern TNG episodes to me :dunno:

And I mean that in a good way. I love this series so far. But Season 3 so far is by far the best.

Oh and Detmer has PTSD. It's 100% not Control thank fuck.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2702 on: November 09, 2020, 02:28:32 AM »

There it is.

Genuinely surprised by this.  This to me felt closest in line to TNG disco has been.   The story beats and even sets (A cave, Trill clothing) felt 80's/90's Trek and most importantly the tone of the episode felt that way too (a nod to 20th century culture!).   Very old school trek vibe for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: November 09, 2020, 04:48:46 AM »
I'm not surprised at all.

Online Adami

« Reply #2704 on: November 10, 2020, 02:00:45 PM »

There it is.

Genuinely surprised by this.  This to me felt closest in line to TNG disco has been.   The story beats and even sets (A cave, Trill clothing) felt 80's/90's Trek and most importantly the tone of the episode felt that way too (a nod to 20th century culture!).   Very old school trek vibe for me.

If it helps, I disliked it for different reasons than all of season 1 and the first 2 episodes of this season.

I understand that they were TRYING to do a classic Trek type thing. And, on some level, I do actually appreciate the attempt. But I feel it was just so shallow and superficial that it showed they just didn't "get" Trek at all. The concept of a human unfortunately bonding with a Trill symbiont and having to go the home planet to connect with it because of the mismatch is a perfectly classic Trek thing to do. I agree 100%. But I just thought the execution fell flat for me. I get why many people feel the ending (with the former hosts coming together) was very emotional and so forth. But it felt cheap. It felt like manufactured emotion due to the good acting/music cues. I just feel the writers on this show are not very good. I like most of the actors, and even a good amount of the characters. But the writing is....just really dumb to me. I get it that I'm on a rather small island on this one, and that's cool. If you guys think the writing is fantastic or great, then brilliant. Maybe I'm wrong about all of it. But I feel the way I feel.

I did, mostly, enjoy the 3rd episode. (third, right? When they go back to earth?) and just found out Frakes directed it. So that makes sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2705 on: November 10, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »
I only just got to see the latest episode due to some family issues. But that was a terrific episode, I thought. Loved all the character work. Great to see life on the ship and the crew interacting. And Trills are a really cool species.

I had one beef, which was the casting of Grey Tal (spelling?) - who I found toe-curlingly hard to watch. I mean, really hard. Awful. (Shudder...) So much so that it pulled me out of that event's impact completely. Why was Adira dating a 12 year old? Really v surprised they went with that choice.

But great stuff apart from that. The tone was bang on, I thought. Keep 'em coming.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2706 on: November 11, 2020, 01:42:58 AM »
If it helps, I disliked it for different reasons than all of season 1 and the first 2 episodes of this season.

I understand that they were TRYING to do a classic Trek type thing. And, on some level, I do actually appreciate the attempt. But I feel it was just so shallow and superficial that it showed they just didn't "get" Trek at all. The concept of a human unfortunately bonding with a Trill symbiont and having to go the home planet to connect with it because of the mismatch is a perfectly classic Trek thing to do. I agree 100%. But I just thought the execution fell flat for me. I get why many people feel the ending (with the former hosts coming together) was very emotional and so forth. But it felt cheap. It felt like manufactured emotion due to the good acting/music cues. I just feel the writers on this show are not very good. I like most of the actors, and even a good amount of the characters. But the writing is....just really dumb to me. I get it that I'm on a rather small island on this one, and that's cool. If you guys think the writing is fantastic or great, then brilliant. Maybe I'm wrong about all of it. But I feel the way I feel.

I did, mostly, enjoy the 3rd episode. (third, right? When they go back to earth?) and just found out Frakes directed it. So that makes sense.

Fair enough I can appreciate that - hope the next one works for you more!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2707 on: November 11, 2020, 04:05:29 AM »

I had one beef, which was the casting of Grey Tal (spelling?) - who I found toe-curlingly hard to watch. I mean, really hard. Awful. (Shudder...) So much so that it pulled me out of that event's impact completely. Why was Adira dating a 12 year old? Really v surprised they went with that choice.

Yeah I agree with that somewhat.  Looked up the actor and was surprised to see he's 19!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2708 on: November 11, 2020, 08:14:52 AM »
Blimey. I'll just put it down to my getting old, then!  ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #2709 on: November 11, 2020, 08:15:39 AM »

No he looked insanely young.

It definitely felt like two 12 year olds getting it on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2710 on: November 11, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »

No he looked insanely young.

It definitely felt like two 12 year olds getting it on.

Believe it or not the person who plays Adira is 24!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2711 on: November 12, 2020, 11:18:48 PM »

Yup...I feel ya on this one. Anyone under 21 looks 12 to me these days.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2712 on: November 13, 2020, 06:32:31 AM »
Episode 5 was amazing IMO! :tup

Also, they got David Cronenberg to play a character!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: November 13, 2020, 07:07:16 AM »
I wonder what they're planning with Philippa. . .

Part of me thinks they're slowly going to make her less " lurking and snarky " and gradually more and more federation..

So eventually she will basically be the Philippa we met in S1 E1 and has a complete change of heart and renounces her Terran side altogether.

I think today's reveal that the Terran empire hasn't been a thing for 500 years is the start of that . Although I don't know how they know that

unless they can communicate with the 'mirror universe'.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: November 13, 2020, 09:36:58 AM »
I really enjoyed Ep 5, probably my favorite of the whole season so far.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: November 13, 2020, 10:28:05 AM »
Season 3 is way better than 2 and 1. But it's about time that they meet someone new that isn't immediately antagonistic.

We don't need TNG levels of " everyone gets along always " - but we don't need " everyone is grumpy and snide to each other always " either.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2716 on: November 13, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
I gotta say, I really liked the new Starfleet Admiral! :lol

He isn't some "Problem of the week" Admiral ****head. I immediately understood where he's frustrations and antagonistic behavior came from.

He is responsible not only for what little remains of the Starfleet, but also the entire civilian government of the federation. Meanwhile everything around him is crashing down. Like he said: They have been in a triage for a long time. He was very relatable!

I didn't expect them to find the federation remnant so quickly. I expected the "finding the federation" to be the overarching plot of the season. I'm interested to see where this goes next!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: November 13, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
Maybe David Croenebourg is recruiting Philippa for the 33rd Century's Section 31 ?

Online Adami

« Reply #2718 on: November 13, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »
I mostly liked it!

I have 3 main problems.

1) Michael. She is just not necessary but for some reason she's the star and is ham fisted into everything when it makes no sense for her to even be there in the first place. Same with the last episode too. Both the last two episodes would've improved without her. And I don't even mind her, just how she's forced into being the lead when it makes no sense.
2) The mysteries. Another modern typical sci-fi trope that I don't need in Star Trek. It worked great in BSG, but it isn't necessary here. Yes yes, music. Yes yes Phillipa. Yes yes the burn. Stop piling season long mysteries on us. Just tell good stories. The mysteries are cheap for Star Trek.
3) The writing. The concepts are, mostly, good but are often times executed terribly. We don't need everyone always being such a dick to everyone until they have a change of hearts. We don't need to be emotionally manipulated. We don't need excuses to do XYZ. Just write well. God damn. Even things I like about this season are generally dumb and poorly thought out, even if the concept is good.

But other than, I liked it. It had a good feel and was a good story. The Voyager J thing was cute too. Hope we see more of the federation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2719 on: November 13, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »
That was so great! Properly gave me the feels. Best episode of the whole run, imo.

Loved the away trip to the other vessel. Hurrah for a lovely tractor beam shot.  All the gawdy colours on that ship were a lovely nod to days gone by, I thought. Really positive and fun. Nice to see Michael in charge for a bit. The science team working together was great. The Philippa stuff was weird and interesting. Thank the maker that the admiral thawed out. I needed that.

There was that thing of the Starfleet security officer pointlessly being a douche but it looks like we're over it. (I don't think they will, but if they make it our-ship-vs-meanie-starfleet I'll start agreeing with Adami.)

Really made me happy that one.

Another thing I've noticed, I really love Discovery as a ship. was initially dubious of the the Phase 2 design but I love how distinct it is. Lots of check-out-this-hot-shot-of-the-ship action this ep.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2720 on: November 13, 2020, 03:07:33 PM »
Agreed on the BSG music thing, Adami. I didn't love it on there either. At that point, their laudable efforts to do something different and unusual disappeared up their plasma vents, imo.

Fingers crossed they don't drag it out.

I'm hoping they'll relax and settle more and more into a fun groove from here on. They're still young for a Star Trek series.

Online Adami

« Reply #2721 on: November 13, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
It just feels like the big mysteries are obligatory and even starting points rather than being organic.

It feels like day one of writing for each season they just say "Okay, let's figure out the season long mysteries and then start writing around them"

Which I'm not fond of.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2722 on: November 14, 2020, 12:59:47 AM »
At least they are short seasons ( at least compared to TNG and Voyager etc ). So the mysteries will be resolved in about 8 episodes. not 20

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2723 on: November 14, 2020, 04:56:49 AM »
Can't really agree with Battlestar doing mysteries right, for me that (and Lost) are the worst ways of doing it.  Battlestar spent 2 and a half seasons layering itself with mysteries - and it was great.........then basically the final 1 and a half seasons trying to write themselves out of the corner they'd trapped themselves in.  If you are going to write a mysteries come up with the solution at the same time,  it's clear they were making it up with no clear path as they went along (I think Moore has even admitted this). 

Anyway episode 5 was good.  Maybe a tad rushed - would personally like to have spent the episode on the Federation newbase, and next week have their first mission be to the seed ship - while it was fun there wasn't enough time to really set up any jeopardy.

Online Adami

« Reply #2724 on: November 14, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
So I've been moving a little faster on my ToS rewatch since I was on vacation last week.

I'm probably a little more than half way through season 3 and I gotta say....not as bad as I thought it'd be. Yes, the 25% budget cut is VERY noticeable. And there are some really dumb elements that show up...constantly....such as the theme of the beautiful woman who control men, and the beautiful woman side kick to the villain who betrays the bad guy because she fell in love with Kirk after 4 minutes. Those two themes are getting very tedious, but overall, it's pretty good!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2725 on: November 20, 2020, 06:55:58 AM »
Two things I can say about episode 6 of Discovery.
1. It looks like it cost a fortune.
2. Adami will hate this episode.

Online Adami

« Reply #2726 on: November 20, 2020, 07:01:00 AM »

Haha. You never know.

But probably.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: November 20, 2020, 10:29:33 AM »

The Federation HQ set is the Shenzhou but re-dressed. They both have that dome in the middle and a door at the one end. It was also used as Leiland's Section 31 bridge set

as the floor could be removed making it two levels. I wasn't mad keen on this week - apart from seeing The Discovery get an overhaul and become NCC-1031-A.

Plus Stamets' new Spore Cube interface. It all points to - the creators wanting Discovery to be a 33rd Century show from Day One - but TPTB and bullying Showrunners

wanted a Game Of Thrones style brutal TOS prequel. Having it in the future makes THE MOST SENSE. You are not bound by canon in ANY WAY.

S2 seemed like them closing the door on S1 after Piller and the two bullying showrunners left and plotting a course for S3.

S2 was way better than S1. I'm not that fussed that the whole season didn't really add up - since they probably had - DSC goes forward 900 years as their objective

and just worked backwards from there. S3 is like starting all over from scratch. Now I hope they stay in the future.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2728 on: November 20, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
Ronald D Moore who was behind the BSG revival and previously, DS9 and TNG, would be perfect to be involved if not showrun a Star Trek series or movie.

His show "For All Mankind" launched late last year, although I don't get Apple TV, but I guess the 2nd season is about to be made available soon.

Online Adami

« Reply #2729 on: November 20, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »
Did not like it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com