Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270765 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2660 on: October 23, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
Code of Honour is shocking.

Spock's Brain is just STUPID and funny but it's not shocking to where you go  :eek like Code of Honour.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Picard at all. It had great moments and awful awful moments.

Stardust City opened with graphic torture - the middle act was a camp farce with Picard putting on a ridiculous accent and ended with murder..

It was All Over The Place . I'm not a Trekkie or a Gatekeeper. I think i'm somewhere right in the middle. I Love Discovery but I don't defend all Trek like it's my child.

I enjoy watching it but can still admit when I think it's completely missed the mark - or didn't do anything for me. :)

Like Nigel Tufnel says - " I'm like Lukewarm Water "...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2661 on: October 23, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »
I remember when the parasitic ice (don't get me started) was eating the ship as they tried to escape. I kept thinking, ohhhhhh it's Star Trek...they're going to analyze the ice and figure some cool science/tech way to find a way ou.........no? They're just gonna push harder on the gas and hope it works? Dammit.

Edit: On my huge rewatch, just starting Season 3 of ToS and we're on Spock's Brain. I'd rank Discovery above this episode, if it helps.  :biggrin:

I just finished my huge rewatch earlier this year and I'm thinking of already starting it again. There were so many episodes I missed or misremembered growing up.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: October 23, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
I've been a fan of Trek since seeing TWOK in the mid 80s and i've still never seen all of TOS or DS9.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2663 on: October 23, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »
Just popped in to say that I can't get enough of Tig Notaro on Discovery. I could watch her character all day. She's turning into one of my favorites.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2664 on: October 24, 2020, 12:29:03 AM »
Agreed. Tig is great. I also really like the Hugh/Stammets relationship. That's been really good from day 1 so nice to see more of that.

I liked "parasitic ice". It was goofy and fun. All the ship stuff was fun. I hope we get to see more of the pilot, after the knock to her head left her a bit "something".

The bar scene was what made me scratch my head. There was some good folk. A baddie. Some super tech. Kung Fu. An "I Am In Command" moment (any Annihilator fans in?) and then all done. I can't place why but it felt like they threw all the ingredients in a jar and shook it. The actors really carried it, though.

Nice to see Michael back. I didn't see that coming. And the waiting a year thing is neat.

Having to wait a week until the next episode works for me. Delayed gratification is king.

@kotowboy I've also not seen all of TOS but DS9 is my favourite Trek. I grew up on repeats of TOS on BBC2 in the 70s then TMP came out. My wife loves Trek too but finds the old TOS too old.  I might start watching an episode each lunchtime.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:14:21 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2665 on: October 24, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »
I remember when the parasitic ice (don't get me started) was eating the ship as they tried to escape. I kept thinking, ohhhhhh it's Star Trek...they're going to analyze the ice and figure some cool science/tech way to find a way ou.........no?:

They probably didn't have spare episode time to spout techobabble for 5 minutes then conclude they could escape if they modify the main deflector array again.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2666 on: October 24, 2020, 02:15:32 AM »
The worst episodes of ST for me are the boring and dry ones.  Spock's Brain, The Way to Eden (Space Hipppies!) are to funny and memorable to be the worst,  a TOS episode like 'The Empath' is a worse simply because it's so boring...

...but if I was to pick a worst episode (and yes TNG seasons 1 & 2 are full of badly written camp...) it's 'Fair Haven' and it's sequel 'Spirit Folk' mind numbing dull.

And here's an example of a really, really dumb episode that I genuinely love.  'Rascals' 

- Starts with Transporter Malfuncti....Magic turning 4 of the crew into children (dumb).
- The Enterprise (the Federation flagship) that we've seen take down numerous powerful enermies get takenover by a bunch of stupid Ferengi (dumb).
- The the adult children save the day (dumb).
- With some techobabble final line get turned back into there adult selfs (dumb) .
- This is never mentioned again (dum....standard Trek).

What makes this dumb episode so great is that it's campy has two geniune great laugh out loud moments -  O'Brien getting uncomfortable talking to child Keiko, and child Picard pretending to be Rikers son................also the kid who play young Picard gives a really wierd  but extremely enjoyable performance!  Depict the fact the plot in it's Setup, Execution and Pay off are all dumb it's still fun...........I'd rather this type of episode over something serious but dull like 'The Masterpiece Society' (anyone remember this one without looking?)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:26:26 AM by soupytwist »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2667 on: October 24, 2020, 03:21:08 AM »
Haha. That does sound ghastly. I definitely don't have it in me to re-watch TNG.

I remember when the parasitic ice (don't get me started) was eating the ship as they tried to escape. I kept thinking, ohhhhhh it's Star Trek...they're going to analyze the ice and figure some cool science/tech way to find a way ou.........no?:

They probably didn't have spare episode time to spout techobabble for 5 minutes then conclude they could escape if they modify the main deflector array again.

If the power re-route doesn't work, something with tachyons will usually do the trick. I used a modified tachyon spray to clean some stubborn bugs off my car bonnet last weekend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2668 on: October 24, 2020, 04:51:13 AM »
I always noticed that nothing on Enterprise worked right when it was most needed.

Like to stop people boarding the ship - moving around freely negating force fields - getting what they want - stealing a shuttle - exiting the ship and going to warp

And Enterprise and crew can do N O T H I N G about any of it as all the relevant security measures just didn't work all at the exact time.

If you wanna talk about lazy writing.

Just once on DSC I wanna see

" Sir ! we have ben boarded ! "

" Beam them to the brig ..."

" Done. "

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: October 24, 2020, 06:34:20 AM »
Just popped in to say that I can't get enough of Tig Notaro on Discovery. I could watch her character all day. She's turning into one of my favorites.

I agree, I love every scene with her in it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2670 on: October 24, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »

Yes, I love that Reno stayed with the crew and Tig Notaro became a series regular.

I'd also like to raise Doug Jones as Saru to the pedastal. He displayed very TNG-era Picard qualities in the last episode, as he tried to negotiate with the outlaw courier and when he took the moral high ground against Giorgiou. I can totally see him becoming the new captain of the ship.

Despite Michael Burnham being top built as the main star of the show, Saru, Reno and Empress Giorgiou are the standout characters so far IMO.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2671 on: October 24, 2020, 02:59:24 PM »

Yes, I love that Reno stayed with the crew and Tig Notaro became a series regular.

I'd also like to raise Doug Jones as Saru to the pedastal. He displayed very TNG-era Picard qualities in the last episode, as he tried to negotiate with the outlaw courier and when he took the moral high ground against Giorgiou. I can totally see him becoming the new captain of the ship.

Despite Michael Burnham being top built as the main star of the show, Saru, Reno and Empress Giorgiou are the standout characters so far IMO.

I'm weirdly obsessed with Detmer.  Kind off noticed her in the background a lot in season one.  Season two she got upgraded got a few lines.  Now she's one of the crew.   Kind off like O'Brien's evolution in TNG.

So glad Ash Tyler isn't around anymore, hated the character and didn't like the actor.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: October 24, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »
Yeah Ash is 900 years in the past.

Detmer was always a crew person. She was on The Shenzhou and was then transferred to the Disco in S1 E3 I believe.

She had a lot to do in S2. She has a big scene in " New Eden " I believe.

And yes - Saru was my favourite character INSTANTLY. He's sort of an amalgam of all my fave Trek characters. Spock. Data. EMH. Phlox.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2673 on: October 24, 2020, 06:40:47 PM »
Absolutely, yes, about Doug Jones. Saru is my favorite character and pretty much has been since the beginning. He embodies Trek to the core. I think he got even better once he evolved past the built in fear his people have. It elevated him even higher and it was like removing the restraining bolt (wait, oops, wrong franchise).  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: October 25, 2020, 04:15:56 AM »
I'm hoping Picard was just a gigantic mis-fire and that the Pike and Spock series Strange New Worlds will be a LOT lighter in tone and episodic - with a reset every week.

MAYBE a B - story thread that continues through the series - but no cliffhangers every episode etc.

It basically needs to be a modern update of TOS.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2675 on: October 25, 2020, 11:26:14 AM »
I'm hoping Picard was just a gigantic mis-fire and that the Pike and Spock series Strange New Worlds will be a LOT lighter in tone and episodic - with a reset every week.

MAYBE a B - story thread that continues through the series - but no cliffhangers every episode etc.

It basically needs to be a modern update of TOS.
As far as CBS is concerned Picard was a bullseye. No misfire there. However, it does look like they're trying to make SNW more akin to TOS. I'm pretty sure they've said it will definitely be episodic, which is a huge improvement in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: October 25, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »
I hate hate hate serialised fiction as I don't want to watch essentially the same story for 10 years like Walking Dead or Game Of Thrones. I am just NOT interested.

No matter how good a show starts off - ( everyone raved about LOST's first season then by the end NOBODY liked it )... they pretty much ALWAYS sag in the middle or end up

shit by the end or get cancelled so you've wasted your time.

The only reason I enjoy Discovery is that it's literally like 15 episodes of one story - then the next season is a brand new story - and there's still some stand alone eps in there too.

Strange New Worlds needs to be everything Picard wasn't.  Episodic. Bright and optimistic. Humorous a la the on-the-bridge wrap ups like TOS had where it pans out of the bridge

after a spock quip. etc etc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2677 on: October 25, 2020, 01:44:39 PM »
Oh and another thing Strange New Worlds needs to do is to NOT just set up future TOS stories.

I hate that everything these days is a reference or a nod to something else.

The Talosian episode of Discovery was neat - but we really didn't need to find out that Pike KNOWS his fate.

I know WHY it's there but meh. It's a bit mean really.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2678 on: October 27, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
I hate hate hate serialised fiction as I don't want to watch essentially the same story for 10 years like Walking Dead or Game Of Thrones. I am just NOT interested.

No matter how good a show starts off - ( everyone raved about LOST's first season then by the end NOBODY liked it )... they pretty much ALWAYS sag in the middle or end up

shit by the end or get cancelled so you've wasted your time.

The only reason I enjoy Discovery is that it's literally like 15 episodes of one story - then the next season is a brand new story - and there's still some stand alone eps in there too.

Strange New Worlds needs to be everything Picard wasn't.  Episodic. Bright and optimistic. Humorous a la the on-the-bridge wrap ups like TOS had where it pans out of the bridge

after a spock quip. etc etc.

I quite like serialised shows.  I think it's the modern format that has basically gone hand in hand with the 'golden age of TV'......However I'm not sure Star Trek should fully commit - I think a Buffy/Doctor Who style of individual episodes with an overriding Season arc is the best format for Star Trek (DS9 Kind off did this in it's final seasons).

What I know longer want to see is so many resets upon an episode endings,  characters in particular need to grow based upon whatever they've experienced - to be fair though both Disco and Picard did this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: October 27, 2020, 10:28:02 AM »
Yes we definitely don't need a Threshold level kind of RESET button after 40 minutes.

Where there's literally no way the characters would have recovered.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2680 on: October 27, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »
There's certainly room for a happy medium with serialization. I think we are where we are because people loved DS9, and only liked the fairly overrated S3 of ENT. Yet neither of those were entirely serialized. Only about half of the episodes actually involved the overriding story arc. Out of 24 episodes of ENT S3, ten or eleven actually progress the Xindi story line. The rest were just shit that happened to them while following a lead, or trying to navigate some anomaly. DS9 didn't really become serialized until S5. Until then there had been minor story arcs. You always knew what was going on in the bigger picture, trouble with the Maquis, or rising tensions with the Klingon Empire, but for the most part it was the same episodic TV we were used to seeing. Occasionally a 2 or 3 parter would show up, and those were always good. This is really the best format, I think. And certainly far better than the "24 in space" format that ST has locked onto.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2681 on: October 30, 2020, 05:55:03 AM »
Star Trek Discovery Season 3 so far is great. It feels like a new show. The future is where the show should have been this whole time.

Season 2 felt like they were making up for Season 1 and was just to get them to the future and now Season 3 feels like

" This is what we wanted to do all along but TPTB wanted a Game of Thrones TOS prequel with bald Klingons "

Episode 3 " People Of Earth " felt just like a modern TNG episode.

Excited to see where this season goes and future seasons ( S4 was confirmed btw - but how often do we hear it's gonna get cancelled any day now gatekeepers ? ) 

🖖🏼😊 .

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2682 on: October 30, 2020, 06:48:14 AM »
Star Trek Discovery Season 3 so far is great. It feels like a new show. The future is where the show should have been this whole time.

Season 2 felt like they were making up for Season 1 and was just to get them to the future and now Season 3 feels like

" This is what we wanted to do all along but TPTB wanted a Game of Thrones TOS prequel with bald Klingons "

Episode 3 " People Of Earth " felt just like a modern TNG episode.

Excited to see where this season goes and future seasons ( S4 was confirmed btw - but how often do we hear it's gonna get cancelled any day now gatekeepers ? ) 

🖖🏼😊 .

Yeah, all of this!

I like that we are discovering this essentially new galaxy along with our main characters! Things are very different, but also familiar. Burnham couldn't explore the galaxy very far during her year, considering the limits of space travel imposed in this new era.

Spoilers

Ep.3 added new mysteries to the list of mysteries this season. Who is the Trill symbiote?, How did United Earth secede from The Federation, and where did The Federation go. How far did the Federation extend during it's golden days? Burnham tells Booker that he has a fresh start in a new Quadrant, so were they somewhere in the Gamma or Delta Quadrants this whole time.

I like that the ultimate mission for Discovery, at least for this season has become to find the remnants of the Federation. Federation has become this almost mythical entity that some believe that still exists in some form, but nobody has seen or heard from in over a 100 years.

I'm locked in for the rest of the season, and season 4!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: October 30, 2020, 07:00:14 AM »
PLUS the 'feel' of Season 3 so far gives me a lot of hope for Strange New Worlds.

This tone with Pike, Spock, Number One and THAT Enterprise ? OMFG sign me up.

EDIT : Also it was really obvious that the kid was the Admiral they were looking for. Dunno if that was supposed to be a shock  ;D.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2684 on: October 30, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »
Episode 3 was really great.  The tone of the show is bang on now, Micheal is like a new character (for the better) the rest of the cast are nailing it too.  Saru though...awesome!  The pathos of Odo with the calm presence of command that Picard brought.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2685 on: October 30, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »
Like I said before - Saru is a mix of all my fave characters from previous shows.

1. Spock
2. Data
3. EMH
4. Odo
5. Dr. Phlox

And yeah - really glad that Saru is Captain. He deserves it more than Michael. He's earned it. Although I was a bit confused as to why Saru had to ask Burnham to be First Officer

- as she already was at the end of Season 2.

I honestly thought they would drag out 'who's gonna be captain?' and 'will Burnham and Discovery ever reunite' a LOT longer than 1 episode.

It all adds fuel to the fire that this set up is where the writers wanted to be from Day 1 but the Pushy and bullying producers demanded Game of Thrones in Space.

Now Fuller, Berg and Whoever are all gone - they can do what they want.

S3 is basically the new S1. I hope we get 7 seasons like this.

Mainly I hope we get 8 seasons just to annoy the Gatekeepers - 1 more season than any other Trek show that ' will never get a 2nd season '...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2686 on: October 30, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »
Yeah, liked it a lot. I dunno who who wanted what with the first 2 seasons but this tone feels great.

SPOILERS

The main woman from United Earth had no presence/charisma whatsoever.

The time travel loss/grief headfuck with Tilly was really good.

I liked the Titan/Earth diplomacy fix but it felt incredibly fast. I felt that season 2 was really cool but was often running at double speed. I could tolerate things a little slower.

All the ships just exploded? What will that be? Romulans? Section 31?

The visuals are amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: October 30, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
I wonder if the mycelial network will come into play ??

Maybe the federation were trying to reproduce the spore drive centuries later but by fusing dilithium with spore drives and it all went fuck up ?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2688 on: October 30, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
I liked it. Mostly.

I still have a ton of problems with the writing. I don't want Star Trek to be about mysteries and intrigue. That's cheap and easy. But this had good stuff, or at least an attempt at good stuff.

A lot of the good stuff was pretty shallow and meh, but I really do appreciate the attempt and hope they keep it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2689 on: November 02, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »
Yeah, liked it a lot. I dunno who who wanted what with the first 2 seasons but this tone feels great.

SPOILERS

The main woman from United Earth had no presence/charisma whatsoever.

The time travel loss/grief headfuck with Tilly was really good.

I liked the Titan/Earth diplomacy fix but it felt incredibly fast. I felt that season 2 was really cool but was often running at double speed. I could tolerate things a little slower.

All the ships just exploded? What will that be? Romulans? Section 31?

The visuals are amazing.

I love tilly's character, good to see some serious vulnerability mixed in with the usual Trek officer bravado. She even called it out nicely in ep2.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2690 on: November 02, 2020, 06:24:51 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2691 on: November 02, 2020, 08:52:37 PM »
:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: November 03, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Some people think Kayla Detmer is acting weird as Control is somehow in her implant.

Whilst everyone else thinks it's PTSD from the past 3 years of constant hell.

I highly doubt control is still hanging around

• Control was the sole reason they went to the future in the first place and left everyone behind - that sacrifice would be meaningless.
• They made a point of showing Leland in literal chunks on the spore cube floor. He's DEAD.
• They have done the 'character has alter ego inside them' several times already
Voq = Tyler
Tilly = May
Airiam = Control
etc etc. To do that trope AGAIN in 3 seasons would be so lazy.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: November 03, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
Yea I really hope it's not Control, that would just be too much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: November 03, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
Another theory is - the Discovery is abandoned and self aware in another 1,000 years ( Short Treks : Calypso )

So it *might* connect to that.  At the end of S2 - The ship tried to protect itself from being destroyed.

It's a long shot - but maybe there is some kind of nascent AI at work.