Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275976 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2520 on: July 22, 2020, 06:18:26 AM »
Lower Decks seems like it would have been better fitted as an Orville animation. Not going to watch it, but I'll definitely watch SNW, even if it's bad. I mean... after Picard, surely it can't be any worse.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2521 on: July 22, 2020, 06:52:11 AM »
Yea, I don't know who this show is for.

You seem to need to be decently familiar with ST to really appreciate it but also be 10 years or younger to enjoy the style/humor. I don't see those two circles overlapping much. It just looked like a little kid's show but in a setting that little kids have no interest in. This just seems terribly thought out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2522 on: July 22, 2020, 07:15:57 AM »
Yea, I don't know who this show is for.

You seem to need to be decently familiar with ST to really appreciate it but also be 10 years or younger to enjoy the style/humor. I don't see those two circles overlapping much. It just looked like a little kid's show but in a setting that little kids have no interest in. This just seems terribly thought out.

Yeah.  I really don't want to much absurb random comedy stuff, I mean that work fine in Rick & Morty - but it going to be to jarring in anything Star Trek.  I guess the best we can hope for is the more grounded/heart episodes of Futurama.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2523 on: July 22, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds on the other hand I cannot wait for.
So I'm out of the loop here. If I understand this, STD S3 is off to the future, and the current crew of STD S2 will be in SNW. That about right? The one thing I've seen is that SNW will be episodic, and with a crew I can actually appreciate, that would certainly be worth watching. It'd be nice to actually see one hour episodes of ST again. Though I have my doubts that with Kurtzman calling the shots it won't suck.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2524 on: July 22, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »
So I'm out of the loop here. If I understand this, STD S3 is off to the future, and the current crew of STD S2 will be in SNW. That about right? The one thing I've seen is that SNW will be episodic, and with a crew I can actually appreciate, that would certainly be worth watching. It'd be nice to actually see one hour episodes of ST again. Though I have my doubts that with Kurtzman calling the shots it won't suck.

Kinda. SNW will be Pike on the Enteprise and his crew. So Pike, Spock, Number 1, etc. I don't think anyone else from STD will be on it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2525 on: July 22, 2020, 09:51:00 AM »

Kinda. SNW will be Pike on the Enteprise and his crew. So Pike, Spock, Number 1, etc. I don't think anyone else from STD will be on it.
That's even better. After your review of STD I kind of wanted to see S2, but can't bear the thought of suffering through the inanity of S1. Seems like I can just wait for this and get exactly what I wanted all along, without all of the silliness.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2526 on: July 22, 2020, 09:56:17 AM »
I mean maybe? They have the right set up to make a fantastic show. Anson was a fantastic Pike. The dude who played Spock...did fine, despite it not really being Spock. Rebecca was a great number 1. The Enterprise looked good. They got a much better tone as well.

But it's the same show runners who gave us 2/3 awful seasons and 1 good but not great one. So it's really up in there if it's any good. If they still think Star Trek is a bunch of shoot em up action pieces where the season focuses on stopping a bad guy but that it should have lots of humor because fans demand it (and only because fans demand it) it might still be pretty meh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2527 on: July 22, 2020, 10:30:54 AM »
I mean maybe? They have the right set up to make a fantastic show. Anson was a fantastic Pike. The dude who played Spock...did fine, despite it not really being Spock. Rebecca was a great number 1. The Enterprise looked good. They got a much better tone as well.

But it's the same show runners who gave us 2/3 awful seasons and 1 good but not great one. So it's really up in there if it's any good. If they still think Star Trek is a bunch of shoot em up action pieces where the season focuses on stopping a bad guy but that it should have lots of humor because fans demand it (and only because fans demand it) it might still be pretty meh.
What I've read is that SNW is supposed to be all standalone episodes. While I'm sure plenty will be "kill the bad guy" types, I'm not sure they can do that for an entire season. And the fact that they're doing this episodically makes me think that maybe they are trying to cater to the oldschool types who want sci-fi and whatnot.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2528 on: July 23, 2020, 06:56:49 AM »
I can't imagine Lower Decks being an involving watch but I'll give it a bash.

I'm hopeful that SNW and STD3 will please me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: July 25, 2020, 02:47:57 PM »
Here's the order i'm looking forward to them in.

1. Strange New Worlds Season 1 - to see if it's like classic Trek TOS style with fun, bright individual episodes. I hope so. I loved Discovery but they need to go old school now.

Basically TOS but with modern production values.

2. Discovery Season 3. I recently re-watched all of DSC and I like it even more second time around. Most Trek shows hit their stride in S3 so i'm hopeful. Plus they don't have to retcon any more of

the previous showrunners ideas and they're now in the future where they wanted to be all along. Should be good.

3. Picard S2. No first season of a Trek show is ever its best - so i'm optimistic for S2. Season 1 started well but kinda sagged in the middle and ended pretty well. No big CGI space battle YAY.

Thanks for not ending DSC S2 and PIC S1 the exact same way. Plus no Enterprise E or F just showing up at the end.  :tup showing some restraint at least...

I'm not sure how I feel about Picard being an organic android facsimile - but hey - it happens literally every time they use the transporter...

4. Lower Decks. Visually it looks like Family Guy and all the clips i've seen make it look like the typical modern frantic ADD cartoon style where everyone talks super fast and just shouts.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2530 on: July 25, 2020, 07:40:13 PM »
So we have another talk fast series, with too much to process visually, show coming along with a cartoon? This world has gone total shittttttttt

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2531 on: July 29, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
Controversial :

I think Star Trek Enterprise S3 is the best Season of any Trek show.

I just wrapped up S3, and it got me thinking back to this:

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that S2 of ENT is better than the far more popular S3. S3 has Similitude, which is probably the best thing they ever did, but by and large the good/bad episodes average out about the same. And maybe not even. It certainly had more excitement, which I suppose people appreciate, but it was mostly towards the end, and people often overlook the fact that less than half of the episodes are actually related to the Xindi. Mixed into all of that you've got utter shit like Northstar, Exile, Hatchery, and Extinction. S2 didn't have the highs (Similitude, X2), but it didn't have as many dogs, and was generally more consistent.

The bigger point, though, is that the characters were better in S2. First and foremost, Bakula doesn't do dark and brooding very well, and he damn sure tried to be in every episode. He was better than he got credit for at being an explorer and generally upright ship's captain. He flat out sucked as a vengeful and desperate captain. Plus the whole T'pol and Tucker thing. I'm pretty sure TOS never tried to have Spock fuck McCoy, and it's probably because they new it would be stupid (and creepy). Plus the thing with T'Pol turning into a junky. They radically changed the nature of these characters and in most cases it was a downgrade.

S3 was actually better than I remembered. I'm not sure it changes my overall opinion, though. What I realized is that some of the episodes that had gone under my radar were better than I remembered (which was the same with S2). Twilight, Stratagem, Chosen Realm, and even Carpenter Street were all rock solid. This boosts its episode quality a bit, though the dogs still remain.

It still suffers from the change in the nature of the characters, though. Bitchy, confused T'Pol was worse than I remembered, and maybe even worse than morose and vengeful Archer. Moreover, the failure to conclude the season properly might be the worst decision in Trek history. As much as people bitch about VOY not cramming 15 minutes of epilogue into its finale, beginning another cliffhanger instead of a welcome home was far more egregious. It'd be like if Voyager had popped out in the far reaches of the gamma quadrant instead of Earth's front porch. And adding insult to injury, the cliffhanger they started was garbage.

I guess what it comes down to is that I'd call it a wash between the two seasons. S2 was much better than I remembered, and S3 was a little better, but with some major flaws.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2532 on: August 02, 2020, 01:52:38 PM »
I tried watching a Voyager episode (year of hell) when i was alone in the house for a while the other day. I only lasted ten minutes though. It's not aged well, imo.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2533 on: August 02, 2020, 03:32:22 PM »
I watched year of hell last year and I thought the opposite. Its one of the best, if not the best voyager episode and it holds up pretty well.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2534 on: August 02, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
I might try it again. Maybe it was a mood thing.

Discovery season 3 starts in October.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: August 02, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
I saw that, I'm looking forward to it. I only just recently finished season 2.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2536 on: August 04, 2020, 08:26:22 AM »
Voyager and Enterprise is mostly just plain lazy writing, barely any better than sodding Star Gate.  If you were doing a good ST characters list you'd probably include a couple from Voyager - Doc and 7 (maybe Tuvoc) and maybe Trip from enterprise......that's pretty thin picking - especially when you factor in all the plain bad or terrible ones on those two shows.

Online Adami

« Reply #2537 on: August 04, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
Voyager and Enterprise is mostly just plain lazy writing, barely any better than sodding Star Gate.  If you were doing a good ST characters list you'd probably include a couple from Voyager - Doc and 7 (maybe Tuvoc) and maybe Trip from enterprise......that's pretty thin picking - especially when you factor in all the plain bad or terrible ones on those two shows.

WOAH WOAH WOAH

Stargate is amazing!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2538 on: August 04, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »

WOAH WOAH WOAH

Stargate is amazing!

That explains a lot!  :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: August 06, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »
Just got through the first episode of Lower Decks and I liked it, however I like most things :lol. It's a different vibe from the rest of trek but it's a lot of fun if you are a fan of the spastic style of rick and morty.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: August 14, 2020, 08:10:12 AM »
Anyone else watch Lower Decks or am I the only one?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2541 on: August 14, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
I will give it ago when I can but it doesn't have an international broadcast yet.
The review scores i've seen look pretty flat though, not sure they were reviewing the entire season or just the first episode though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: August 14, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »
Just got through the first episode of Lower Decks and I liked it, however I like most things :lol. It's a different vibe from the rest of trek but it's a lot of fun if you are a fan of the spastic style of rick and morty.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I loved the Next Gen style credits and aesthetic.

I chuckled a few times.

My favourite line of the episode is

[spoiler] I GOT TO HOLD A HEART ! [/spoiler]

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2543 on: August 14, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »
I’m currently watching the motion picture on TV and it always surprises me that each time I see it I enjoy it more and more as I get older. Maybe I just long for some of the old school style pacing.

Action is fun, but it can be overrated. The old Andromeda Strain movie is an incredible sci-fi classic in my book, and there is ZERO action in that film. Complete focus on compelling drama rather than trying to blow stuff up.

EDIT - and it’s not like there’s zero action in TMP.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2544 on: August 15, 2020, 05:13:37 AM »
I've literally never once thought The Motion Picture was "LOL BORING".

If you can't watch a scene where a shuttlecraft leaves spacedock - flies around the ship so you get a good view of it - and docks - for literally FIVE minutes out of a two hour film

then go and watch The Fast and The Furious 27.

I've always thought the pacing of the film was actually about right. YOU are along for the ride too.

Now if we want to discuss truly boring sci fi - I nominate Blade Runner.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2545 on: August 15, 2020, 02:26:45 PM »

Insurrections.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2546 on: August 16, 2020, 07:47:53 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: August 16, 2020, 11:39:40 AM »

Insurrections.

:tup

All Good Things should have been the final TNG movie and Insurrection should have been a 2 part episode.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2548 on: August 17, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
Well I finally did it, I finally finished watching all star trek episodes that I started a few years back with the last episode of ENT. I don't really understand the hate for the episode. It lack the grandeur of previous series finales and Trip was killed off in a fairly mundane way but I liked the episode. It made me realize how much I grew to like the ENT characters. The final scene with Trip and Riker was the highlight for me.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2549 on: August 18, 2020, 01:37:52 AM »

Insurrections.

:tup

All Good Things should have been the final TNG movie and Insurrection should have been a 2 part episode.

Still would have been a crap two parter, the worst two parter of the show.  Cut all the crap, barely any of it makes sense anyway - and you could have a run of the mill pretty forgettable crew lands on village representing entire planet with two warring factions single episode.  That's probably the best you can hope for from that script.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:43:27 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: August 18, 2020, 03:57:29 AM »
My worst thing about Insurrection is - how did Picard learn to slow down time so fast ? Did he ever use it again ? Can he only do it on that planet ?

Did he use it to stop time so he could get the holo ship in orbit - take the time to make it look exactly like Ru'afo's ship and beam them all over

without them realising ? It's never explained.

All that happens is Picard thinks " ...if they don't realise what's happening...." like he's had an idea then it's all done in the next scene.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2551 on: September 05, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2552 on: September 05, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
:lol that's a good one!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2553 on: September 06, 2020, 07:54:30 AM »
Decided to bite the bullet, and started to watch Enterprise for the first time in ages!

It's bad, but not quite as bad as I remembered. I'm about 8 episodes into the first season. I like Phlox, Trip, Malcom and Hoshi as characters, but I'm finding it really hard to find a standout character among them. I don't like T'Pol, and Travis is just in the background most of the time. And then there is Archer..

Archer just acts like an A**hole most of the time. He's constantly reminding us how Vulcans have supposedly wronged him and the humanity. He always tries to rub humanities accomplishments into T'Pol's face, but T'Pol always finds the upper hand in these conversations and proves how unprepared they truly are to step into the wider universe. He seems like jerk.

But I do like some things. It looks good. The CGI isn't half bad. And I like how it ties into TOS, though there are some lore inconsistencies. Like a Klingon D7 battlecruiser a 100 years before they are even introduced in DIS season 2. :lol

But I intend to watch it through to the end. And the theme song isn't half bad. :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: September 06, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
I think ENT season 3 & 4 is peak. ENT suffers from what most Trek shows do which is rough season 1 & 2