Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 277038 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2275 on: March 26, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »
Just finished Picard, and it ended in pretty grand style, though I would have liked to see the Federation and the Romulans really throw down. Stupid diplomacy...

I'll wait for everyone else to catch up before digging into the big spoilery thingys.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2276 on: March 26, 2020, 10:48:09 AM »
Just finished Picard, and it ended in pretty grand style, though I would have liked to see the Federation and the Romulans really throw down. Stupid diplomacy...

I'll wait for everyone else to catch up before digging into the big spoilery thingys.

I'll watch it in like an hour after my phone session. I'll even try, no matter what, to avoid the words dumb and stupid in my review.  :yarr
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2277 on: March 26, 2020, 10:56:52 AM »

I'll watch it in like an hour after my phone session. I'll even try, no matter what, to avoid the words dumb and stupid in my review.  :yarr

Pedestrian, mundane..

It doesn't air until tonight in Canada.  Will come back here after I've seen it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #2278 on: March 26, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »
Dammit Jingle, now I can't use pedestrian or mundane.

Luckily I have a thesaurus!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2279 on: March 26, 2020, 11:04:59 AM »
 :lol

You're take on it Adami should be... Interesting... Especially the ending.

Online Adami

« Reply #2280 on: March 26, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »
:lol

You're take on it Adami should be... Interesting... Especially the ending.

Any end credits stuff?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2281 on: March 26, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
No, I don't think so. It ended really cleanly.

Online Adami

« Reply #2282 on: March 26, 2020, 11:41:08 AM »
IT ENDED CLEANLY?!?! STAR TREK NEVER ENDS THINGS CLEANLY!

Kidding of course. About to start watching it now! Be back in an hour or so with whatever words the thesaurus gives me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2283 on: March 26, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
Well now...............not bad.

There were definitely a few.....hmm....doltish, ludicrous, shortsighted, simpleminded etc moments. A few right before it ended too (a little too much romance?) but overall? Not bad.

I'll give it more time to digest and wait for others to see it. But it was nice to see a bit more of the aesthetic that I've so missed.

Granted, it doesn't in any way shape or form make the show as a whole good. This is still my least favorite Star Trek show (haven't seen Discovery yet) but it is definitely a pretty decent episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2284 on: March 26, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
Yeah, the only thing that kind of pissed me off is how they used the sci fi writer's perogative of inventing the doo-hickey process to get out of the situation they wrote themselves into. That and the battle scene could've been 1000 times more epic for sure.

Online Adami

« Reply #2285 on: March 26, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »
Yeah, the only thing that kind of pissed me off is how they used the sci fi writer's perogative of inventing the doo-hickey process to get out of the situation they wrote themselves into. That and the battle scene could've been 1000 times more epic for sure.

Oh there were plenty of st....lazy things in there, but the good outweighed the bad so I was able to look past it.

And I was mostly fine with the end standoff. I don't want Star Trek to be a bunch of incoherent poorly reasoned space battles, and this space battle would have been super incoherent and poorly reasoned (man, I want to use the S and D words). I would've changed the star fleet designs. It was SO cool seeing a Star Fleet ship again, but 200 of the exact same ship was a bit underwhelming. 20 different designs would've been cool, but such is life.

Also the alien robot god race was SO underwhelming and s......d..........ugh horrible. But, again, the good outweighed the bad.

Overall? This was a very middle of the road Star Trek episode, but a fantastic Picard episode. See? I both insulted and complimented it at the same time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2286 on: March 26, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »
Ah yes, the alien God race... Very lame and underwhelming

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: March 26, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »
Alien race seemed like it was going to be a space Kraken. 

The Seven/Raffi romance was dumb (I'll use it), same with the Agnes/Rios kiss.  I thought the whole episode felt rushed.... miraculously Starfleet showed up what (led by Riker !?!?!), 6 minutes behind the Romulans when no one could detect them?  Can they do Warp 10 now or something?  I couldn't follow whose side Narek was really on.  And why isn't he part of the ongoing crew now?  I'll stop now, but I thought they had to rush a lot of things into 65 minutes (as predicted).

The scenes with Data were great, and I actually liked Agnes this episode.  For once, the character work was better than the simple need to progress the plot.

I hope S2 is better, but I won't hold my breath.  The ending seemed more like a setup to a Serenity/Firefly sequel.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #2288 on: March 27, 2020, 09:38:36 AM »
Spoilers okay now?

Leaving some space just in case. So for me, the funniest moment was completely unfortunate as a result of the commercials. So I watch it on Amazon Prime with a CBS add on. Now, these kinds of things have commercials and are usually the same 2-3 commercials over and over. So I'm super familiar with them by now. One if for Discover. They have two, actually. One with a bunch of people and movie clips of people saying variations of yes and another of people saying no. So right after Picard died, like RIGHT after he closes his eyes and dies, it just immediately cuts to one of those commercials which starts with Dr. Evil going "HOW ABOUT NO!" and the juxtaposition of those two things was just amazing.

Anywho. Upon reflection, there were a whole lot of dumb and stupid things (sorry, they're back) but, as I said, the episode was good enough to outweigh them, though not make up for them.

And Jingle, that Firefly statement is really true. I said this show was very Star Wars, but you're right that it also has a Firefly feel. Just not NEARLY as good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2289 on: March 27, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »
Now that I reflect, the ending was totally Firefly, especially the invoked imagery.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: March 27, 2020, 09:54:59 AM »
I never ever saw the movie or the show, and that closing shot just screamed it at me.

Also, very disappointed we didn't get a Jeri Ryan tittie flash.  Maybe they're holding that for S2.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2291 on: March 27, 2020, 10:40:27 AM »
She has gotten unbelievably sexier with age man. :hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2292 on: March 27, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
Adami, I also watch it through Prime, and got the same commercial at the same time.  I lol'd.

I thought it was the best episode of the series. 

Overall, I enjoyed it.  Certainly not the best, but I'll take it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: March 27, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
She has gotten unbelievably sexier with age man. :hefdaddy

Don't we all? 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2294 on: March 27, 2020, 12:55:22 PM »
I never ever saw the movie or the show, and that closing shot just screamed it at me.

Also, very disappointed we didn't get a Jeri Ryan tittie flash.  Maybe they're holding that for S2.
Nah, she's always been highly protective of those things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2295 on: March 27, 2020, 05:05:00 PM »
I thought it was stupid and dumb.  :biggrin:

Just playin'. Almost. ;) I have to say I feel nothing but disappointment. I was resolutely unexcited tonight. EXCEPT when Will turned up. So cool to see him in a space ship and uniform! Felt massively forced but it did make me smile.

This is also my least favourite Trek series by a long way. I'd take Voyager over this any day.

Jeri Ryan is still terrific, and my favourite thing in it, but man, this plot bored me senseless. Sadly, I can totally believe they did a whole omg-he's-dead weepy scene then brought him back with some more Data in between...

There was so much good work by the cast and directors throughout. And that closing scene? (Deffo looks like Firefly -which was awesome) They could make a really cool season 2 out of these actors but I'm not expecting it.

I'd love to be more specific about what didn't please me, esp after giving Adami a a little heat, but it just felt like a scrapbook or shopping list of scenes somebody might want to see with no involving plot to bind them. You could really tell they yearned to make it more emotional and reflective too, which made it even more frustrating.

I'm just hoping Discovery season 3 gives me the feels.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

« Reply #2296 on: March 27, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »
So cool to see him in a space ship and uniform! Felt massively forced but it did make me smile.

I think that is a great way to describe it. Massively forced, but made me smile.

Apparently it was also a reshoot. Seems the F bomb admiral was originally supposed to be the person who saves the day. Makes more sense, but not as psychological manipulative.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2297 on: March 27, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
Agree completely. Had the same feel as when Admiral Riker showed up with the 3-nacelle / cloaked Enterprise D in All Good Things.

Online Adami

« Reply #2298 on: March 27, 2020, 05:52:07 PM »
Gotta give them credit for not going full fan service and have him command the Enterprise whatever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2299 on: March 28, 2020, 01:10:55 AM »
So cool to see him in a space ship and uniform! Felt massively forced but it did make me smile.

I think that is a great way to describe it. Massively forced, but made me smile.

Apparently it was also a reshoot. Seems the F bomb admiral was originally supposed to be the person who saves the day. Makes more sense, but not as psychological manipulative.

Oh, really? Good decision. Admiral Fuckyou is fun but i can imagine her potty mouth feeling a little inappropriate at a time like that.

I'm glad Jean-Luc has cheered up, though. If season 2 gets made perhaps he'll strut around a bit more and bark at some people. I'd go for that.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2300 on: March 28, 2020, 01:16:34 AM »
After part one I was worried, but this was actually quite a solid piece of work.

- After constantly looking like a man out of touch, Picard came good - saved the day with a speech.  Pure TNG.

- Data gets a proper send off, addresses that naff death from Nemesis.

- Hey Chakotay you dull sack of shite - your wife dumped you.  Now she's into ladies.  Haha!

- People who've been complainin about bad writing......are firefly fans!  Thats  like taking the piss outta someone's diet while munching down on a Mcdonalds.    ;D

- At the start I feared this was going to be a multiple mystery box show (like BSG or Lost) but by the end of had tied pretty much everything up quite neatly.I

- Season 2 needs Worf.

In terms of comparison to Discovery I think I'd go Disco S2 > Picard > Disco S1.   

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:24:05 AM by soupytwist »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2301 on: March 28, 2020, 01:22:09 AM »
Those are all solid positives.

Poor Chakotay! (Srsly poor Robert Beltran...)

Online Adami

« Reply #2302 on: March 28, 2020, 06:37:56 AM »
After part one I was worried, but this was actually quite a solid piece of work.

- After constantly looking like a man out of touch, Picard came good - saved the day with a speech.  Pure TNG.

- Data gets a proper send off, addresses that naff death from Nemesis.

- Hey Chakotay you dull sack of shite - your wife dumped you.  Now she's into ladies.  Haha!

- People who've been complainin about bad writing......are firefly fans!  Thats  like taking the piss outta someone's diet while munching down on a Mcdonalds.    ;D

- At the start I feared this was going to be a multiple mystery box show (like BSG or Lost) but by the end of had tied pretty much everything up quite neatly.I

- Season 2 needs Worf.

In terms of comparison to Discovery I think I'd go Disco S2 > Picard > Disco S1.

Oh you'll never convince me Raffi and Seven is a good idea. Ever.

And I'm not following your Firefly comment. Are you saying that because I (and some others) have compared aspects of the show to Firefly but also said it has bad writing means that we think Firefly is poorly written? Or are you just saying Firefly is poorly written? Because neither are true.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #2304 on: March 29, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »
Michael Chabon Answers Fan Questions About ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Finale Loose Ends, Season 2,and More

I had such little respect for him based solely on his writing, but after that? Pure hack. No respect at all anymore. His continued involvement astonishes me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2305 on: March 29, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
Michael Chabon Answers Fan Questions About ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Finale Loose Ends, Season 2,and More

I had such little respect for him based solely on his writing, but after that? Pure hack. No respect at all anymore. His continued involvement astonishes me.

Yeah, most of those answers were painful to read. It’s like he’s in insolent teenager.

I’ll say this to, the makeup artists from TNG did a good job with Admiral Riker in All Good Things.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2307 on: March 29, 2020, 02:07:41 PM »

Not sure why but I've always thought he was Tempus Vox.

Michael Chabon. Not Michael Crichton.

Though while I think TV is neither, I'd rather he be Chabon, that way I can actually yell at him for his work on Star Trek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2308 on: March 29, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »
Never mind.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2309 on: March 29, 2020, 02:46:17 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com