Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 276868 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2205 on: March 07, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
I was bothered by something that surprises me a little, at least with how much it bothered me. The lack of respect towards the TNG women continues. Troi was clearly the more important character between her and Riker, yet who gets a Special Guest Star credit in the opening credits? Frakes does. Marina is relegated to the end credits.

I don't know, that just really stood out to me for some reason. She deserved to be in the opening just like Frakes.

Anyway, I liked the episode. Wish things were different for Hugh.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2206 on: March 07, 2020, 08:26:32 PM »
I thought the reason she got regulated to the end credits is because it wasn't certain she was going to be in the ep.

Jeri Ryan got intro credits I believe.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2207 on: March 08, 2020, 05:13:48 AM »
Just watched Chain of Command last night.  Goddamn that's good TV.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2208 on: March 08, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »
Episode 7 was favourite so far. I thought the emotional stuff by Troi and Riker was excellent. Among the best I've seen in a Trek episode. The scene with Deanna talking to Jean-Luc in her late son's bedroom had me welling up slightly.

I agree that what this show is missing so far is Picard. Obvs he's not meant to be the same. Maybe they're building up to something.

Lots of good stuff around the edges this time too. Made me look forward to next week's.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2209 on: March 09, 2020, 02:08:15 AM »

You should really check out the greatest discovery and greatest gen podcasts. It's two who love star trek who go through every episode and review it. There is a lot of comedy to it but they are sincere in their appreciation for ST. The Greatest Gen has reviewed all of TNG and is in season 6 of DS9 and The Grestest Discovefy has reviewed all of Disco, short treks and is now doing Picard.

Thanks a lot.  I listened to the very first pod this morning on the way to work, I liked it. 

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2210 on: March 09, 2020, 09:44:12 AM »
The scene with Deanna talking to Jean-Luc in her late son's bedroom had me welling up slightly.

This may have been Troi's best episode of Trek.  None of those vaguely-defined and thanks for pointing out the obvious powers.  And when she was talking with Soji it actually felt like she could have been a counselor for maybe the first time ever.   No mention of chocolate or cake though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:08:53 AM by soupytwist »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2211 on: March 10, 2020, 01:13:15 AM »
Good point. Picard is far from my favourite Trek but I have to say it's great to see some of these characters fleshed out and handled in a more grown-up (for want of a better term) dramatic sense way than they were usually.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2212 on: March 12, 2020, 06:07:06 AM »
Shows really picked up with the last few episodes.   Episode 8 is another really strong one.  No spoilers till other have seen it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2213 on: March 12, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
I can’t say it was the dumbest episode yet, but it sure tried to be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2214 on: March 13, 2020, 02:31:32 AM »
You should really check out the greatest discovery and greatest gen podcasts. It's two who love star trek who go through every episode and review it. There is a lot of comedy to it but they are sincere in their appreciation for ST. The Greatest Gen has reviewed all of TNG and is in season 6 of DS9 and The Grestest Discovefy has reviewed all of Disco, short treks and is now doing Picard.

Just listened to the forth episode and nearly crashed my car after an exchange that went something like this....

- Four episodes into the show (TNG) and they've all ready had Picard offer to surrender twice, way to build a heroic captain.
- I think they are just trying to establishing his credentials.
- What?
- He's French.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:43:23 AM by soupytwist »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: March 13, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
Lol. They are great and only get better. The greatest gen is better than the greatest discovery only because they do the editing on the greatest gen so it is a bit more polished.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2216 on: March 13, 2020, 08:48:38 AM »

Just listened to the forth episode and nearly crashed my car after an exchange that went something like this....

- Four episodes into the show (TNG) and they've all ready had Picard offer to surrender twice, way to build a heroic captain.
- I think they are just trying to establishing his credentials.
- What?
- He's French.

Okay, that's pretty good. Cheap, but I love a good anti-French joke.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: March 14, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »
I can’t say it was the dumbest episode yet, but it sure tried to be.

Agreed.  The motivations of the Zhat Vash are dumb af.  So was that circle of memory scene.  While it was nice to see Jeri Ryan return was the Borg being ejected - if Seven/Anneke had control of the collective, wouldn't that mean she has control of the ship?  And couldn't she have just over-ridden that ejection sequence?  And how does Agnes suddenly regain her morals and conscience.  She follows thru on killing Maddox, but a few episodes later finds the strength to go against her brainwashing?

Rios' arc continues to be good - and I love the individual 'holo' characters, but the sleuth aspect to Raffi's side mission was kinda dumb.

Despite the dumbness, they advanced the story adequately enough, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes.  Ought to get some space battles with the Romulans, the Starfleet fleet, and the Borg cube. 

Pew Pew!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #2218 on: March 14, 2020, 01:36:02 PM »
I've praised Juan Solo and the actor quite a bit here, but I think his stuff just went way overboard in this episode. It became a silly comedy sketch and it just felt out of place. It could have been done well, but with...five?...of them with all different accents and stuff it just got way too silly given everything else.

The whole intro was as close to ripping off BSG as humanly possible without just doing the same show again. Also only one of these super intelligent highly skilled whatever Romulans can handle the truth (which in itself is dumb as hell) but the random human mechanic can handle it just fine? Romunals shoot themselves in the head because the idea of robots killing people is too much to handle, but the human girl just cries a little and is good to go?

Also, according to Star Trek lore, none of those Borg ejected are dead. Borg don't die in space, they're fine. You just have thousands (or however many) living, activated Borg floating around.

The table scene between Picard and Soji was good, but that's it. Rest of the episode was terrible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2219 on: March 14, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »
The table scene between Picard and Soji was good, but that's it. Rest of the episode was terrible.

Right... it started out so promising.

Oh, and just so I get this one straight.  With an active tracking device, Romulan spies can track a ship, BUT are easily detected.  WITHOUT an active tracking device, they lose the ship, but can resume the tracking and NOT be detected.  Have I got it right?  Or is this going to be someone else that followed them?  Perhaps Seven/Anneke?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2220 on: March 15, 2020, 02:57:21 AM »
Hmm. The series is getting more entertaining as it goes on (just because something is happening?) but doesn't really make any sense to me, and there is no-one i care much about. Especially Jean-Luc, oddly. And I can't argue with any of the logic criticisms posted.

I'm torn about recent Trek, and have been ultra-forgiving about it as, of course, there will be a period where the makers of any Trek, after a break away from our tv screens, have to work out how to make a show that stands up to current TV production values AND has Trek DNA. Very difficult position. I enjoyed most of Discovery with some reservations and think they've done a good job, on the whole. Now they've broken free of the old settings I hope we can get something fresh and unburdened by canon.

But Picard? In short, the plot is so dull. The acting and some character stuff has been fantastic. It looks perfect. The violence and scripting is great. Seven, Soji, the hot gangster woman selling parts, Riker, Troi.  Loads of positive details but it's just boring. Unless something amazing happens in the next two episodes I wouldn't watch a second season, sadly.

I've watched some YouTube vids about the franchise and rumours about what might be happening behind the scenes and they basically say that previous announcements about plans for the franchise were just said to paint a positive picture to investors and shareholders at a difficult time, and they reckon there won't be any more Picard, Discovery, no Section 31, no other series, no movie 4, nothing for ages, as the rebirth has just not been successful enough and they need to rest it for a period to get out of existing contracts, etc. We'll see.

Obvs these are rumours but interesting:

https://youtu.be/YdPekRYOsJ4

https://youtu.be/R5e2cpr--e4
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:00:18 PM by DoctorAction »

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2221 on: March 16, 2020, 05:33:10 AM »
I generally think one of the bigger issues is old Star Trek was at it's core a work based show, each week/episode we'd see the crew at work having to solve a problem.
Modern Trek has chosen to go with long story arcs whereas before the Star Trek Universe was shown though the eyes of these one shot stories, and frankly if you put it all together it's complete nonsense.  To start with how many God like entities have we seen?   

A show like 'The Expanse' for instance setup their universe for their story and things make sense, because there isn't 500+ episodes of scattershot lore and strange power levels to adhere to.  And people get upset or angry when they see something that isn't in line with old Trek, depict the fact old Trek itself has huge lore inconsistencies anyway!

Should they go back and just make another work based Trek?  One story episodes?  Well Voyager and Enterprise showed that that style had probably run it's course.  The Orville does a similar thing, but that has the advantage of not being Trek, so the humour is it's own thing and it can create it's own lore....and even that isn't doing great in the ratings.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:51:38 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Adami

« Reply #2222 on: March 16, 2020, 06:05:08 AM »
I generally think one of the bigger issues is old Star Trek was at it's core a work based show, each week/episode we'd see the crew at work having to solve a problem.
Modern Trek has chosen to go with long story arcs whereas before the Star Trek Universe was shown though the eyes of these one shot stories, and frankly if you put it all together it's complete nonsense.  To start with how many God like entities have we seen?   

A show like 'The Expanse' for instance setup their universe for their story and things make sense, because there isn't 500+ episodes of scattershot lore and strange power levels to adhere to.  And people get upset or angry when they see something that isn't in line with old Trek, depict the fact old Trek itself has huge lore inconsistencies anyway!

Should they go back and just make another work based Trek?  One story episodes?  Well Voyager and Enterprise showed that that style had probably run it's course.  The Orville does a similar thing, but that has the advantage of not being Trek, so the humour is it's own thing and it can create it's own lore....and even that isn't doing great in the ratings.

I'm not sure if this was aimed at me or just a general defense of new Trek, but if you think my issue with Picard is that it's longer story arcs and not random unrelated episodes then I have done an awful job at conveying my complaints. I love longer story arcs and have 0 issues with them at all.

DS9 did them wonderfully. As did season 3 of Enterprise (which I just finished and thought was awesome). BSG is one of my favorite shows and was basically a multiple season long story. So no, longer arcs are NOT one of the issues with modern Trek. It might be what a few random people complain about, but it's hardly an issue most people have with it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:11:00 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2223 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:17 AM »
I'm not sure if this was aimed at me or just a general defense of new Trek, but if you think my issue with Picard is that it's longer story arcs and not random unrelated episodes then I have done an awful job at conveying my complaints. I love longer story arcs and have 0 issues with them at all.

DS9 did them wonderfully. As did season 3 of Enterprise (which I just finished and thought was awesome). BSG is one of my favorite shows and was basically a multiple season long story. So no, longer arcs are NOT one of the issues with modern Trek. It might be what a few random people complain about, but it's hardly an issue most people have with it.

Wasn't aimed at anyone.  It was just a reason why it generally doesn't work - if you relate it to what has gone before.  DS9 had more of an arc than other old Trek, but it was still 80% stand alone episodes and Battlestar didn't have 500+ episodes of lore to adhere to, aside from the premise and character names it ditched anything to do with the 70's show.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2224 on: March 16, 2020, 06:36:04 AM »
Indeed, but I don't think any of that is why modern Trek doesn't work for me.

Is it possible to do a 10 episode story arc with 50 years of lore to contend with? Sure! Star Trek always knew how to dismiss or ignore certain lore that was clearly written in a different context. But I don't think Picard (I won't speak to Discovery since I've only seen one episode, but will watch the rest once I finish season 4 of Enterprise) is suffering due to long story or lore. I mean, it is in the sense that show runners/writers don't seem to have any knowledge of Star Trek, so yea I can see the history holding them back in that sense. Like when Alex Kurtzman says Picard has never experienced being a father or anything before, completely ignoring integral character based lore like The Inner Light. We don't need Picard to remember every alien race Star Trek has ever done, but at least know your characters and the world you're in. They seem like they want to wipe it all clean and just do whatever they want. In which case....call it something else. I still think the show would be dumb if it were called whatever else and wasn't Star Trek. My MAIN issues with Picard is that the writing is dumb. Now, the writing being dumb expands into several domains, but it all comes back to that. The directing is fine, the acting is mostly fine, but the writers are awful. Just awful.

I did hear that Marc Bernadin was hired to be on season 2. Now, I like that guy. He knows his Trek and when I've seen him pitch stories, it's usually pretty good and character driven. Now, I have no idea how much say he'll have or if it will be like "So this is what's happening, go write it." But I hope he has a lot of say, he might be an improvement.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2225 on: March 16, 2020, 07:41:50 AM »
What actually difference does 'The Inner Light' (great episode) make to Picard though?  The episode comes in at the end of Season 5 and I think there might be one reference to it again.  Does this profound experience change Picard in any noticeable way from that point onwards? No, next episode he's back to normal like nothing has happened.   There is a similar episode in DS9 where O'Brien gets put in a mind prison - where he spends 'X' Years in said prison, while no time passes in the real world, when he comes out he suffers trauma - but next episode he's good ol' O'Brien again.

This is why I think the difference between styles clashes.  On one hand you've got a show which mostly resets after every episode, and the other show is telling a story.

But I do understand your issue with the writing, I don't entirely agree, but I get it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2226 on: March 16, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »
I would argue that the inner light DID profoundly change him. I don't know how you hope to see that demonstrated. He did bring it up, multiple times, in different episodes. Did it change the way he is a captain exploring space? Nah. It changes the way he would deal with family. And it did. So when Kurtzman says that Picard has never been a dad or experienced being one, THAT is a big deal.

We just seem to see Star Trek very differently. It's all good. Glad you're digging the new direction. I'm sad I'm not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2227 on: March 16, 2020, 07:55:09 AM »
We just seem to see Star Trek very differently. It's all good. Glad you're digging the new direction. I'm sad I'm not.

I'm enjoying both Disco and Picard enough.  I think both are better than Voyager and Enterprise, they could be better though.  But neither are top tier TV for me (The Expanse is the best space Sci-Fi show I'm watching).   Only peak DS9 i'd class as consistent top tier TV from Trek.   The problem is there are so many great shows on at the minute making room to watch em all is hard!   

Offline Adami

« Reply #2228 on: March 16, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »

I'm enjoying both Disco and Picard enough.  I think both are better than Voyager and Enterprise, they could be better though.  But neither are top tier TV for me (The Expanse is the best space Sci-Fi show I'm watching).   Only peak DS9 i'd class as consistent top tier TV from Trek.   The problem is there are so many great shows on at the minute making room to watch em all is hard!

While I'd say that the worst episodes of Enterprise or Voyager are WAY worse than the worst episodes of Picard, I would very much put both of those shows above Picard as a while. Granted, that's not a fair comparison since I'm comparing 7 seasons of one show and 4 seasons of another to (as of now, I think) 8 episodes. Voyager and Enterprise definitely have more than eight episodes that are worse than Picard.

And while I totally agree that it's hard (I'd say damn near impossible) to make room to watch all the current shows, I have spent so much of my last month and next month studying for a licensure test, that I refuse to start watching anything new. I'll watch my weekly shows, since it's safe from binge temptation, but beyond that it's just youtube and Shark Tank. Though I am, now and again, watching Enterprise as part of my huge Star Trek rewatch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2229 on: March 16, 2020, 08:07:44 AM »
While I'd say that the worst episodes of Enterprise or Voyager are WAY worse than the worst episodes of Picard, I would very much put both of those shows above Picard as a while. Granted, that's not a fair comparison since I'm comparing 7 seasons of one show and 4 seasons of another to (as of now, I think) 8 episodes. Voyager and Enterprise definitely have more than eight episodes that are worse than Picard.

And while I totally agree that it's hard (I'd say damn near impossible) to make room to watch all the current shows, I have spent so much of my last month and next month studying for a licensure test, that I refuse to start watching anything new. I'll watch my weekly shows, since it's safe from binge temptation, but beyond that it's just youtube and Shark Tank. Though I am, now and again, watching Enterprise as part of my huge Star Trek rewatch.

I've been watching Mr Robot for the first time, it's been a great ride so far.  And I've got The American's to watch after that, and now Westworld is back and there are a few more fun shows I want to binge like Killjoys, Dark Matter etc  ...and I'm still suffering though The Walking Dead (now that is bad writing thesedays!)....to much TV.

Seriously though Good Luck on your test.  When you doing it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2230 on: March 17, 2020, 02:39:40 PM »
Suffering through The Fight (VOY) got me thinking about the worst episodes of VOY, and by extension each of the franchises. Listing favorite episodes happens here once or twice a year, but I don't recall anybody trying to list their least favorite, so here goes.

The Empath--Let's torture McCoy for a day or two and see how it goes.
And the Children Shall Suck
The Lights of Zetar-- as a kid it always creeped me out with the garbled voices coming out of people. As an adult it creeps me out anytime Scotty is trying to get laid.

The Child--The last thing TNG needed was giving Troi a maternal sentimentality to whine on and on about.
The OUtcast--Partly because androgynous peopled creep me out, and partly because it was stupid. When they need somebody to score with a person who's not attractive as a male or a female they think of Riker?
Masks--Not only did it not make any sense, but Spiner sucks as anybody not named Data.

Profit and Lace--Ferengi attitudes towards women are fine the way they are. Leave them alone, FFS.
Move Along Home--Stupid game followed by stupider ending.
Crossover--None of the DS9 mirror universe episodes are any good, but the one that started it sucked the most. Frankly, killing Sisko then made the next four more tolerable.

Threshold--Fucking lizards, man.
The Fight--I don't even know that it's supposed to be about, and I just watched [most of] it.
The Thaw--Just insufferable.

Extinction--"one of the singularly most embarrassing episodes of Star Trek I've ever been involved with."  (Braga)
North Star--Yeah! A Western!
Coginitor--Great, more androgynous people.

Really, TNG and DS9 could have been made up entirely of Luwaxana episodes. Also, I've only made it through The FIght most recently, so I'm not entirely up on seasons six and seven of VOY, and all of ENT.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #2231 on: March 17, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »
You forgot the only episode of any Star Trek I refuse to rewatch. The series finale for Enterprise. A lot of episodes are bad, but none are as actively insulting. Though Picard is making an effort.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2232 on: March 17, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »
You forgot the only episode of any Star Trek I refuse to rewatch. The series finale for Enterprise. A lot of episodes are bad, but none are as actively insulting. Though Picard is making an effort.
I didn't forget it. I just found worse candidates. Also, if you watch the edited version without Troi and Riker it's nowhere near as insufferable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #2233 on: March 17, 2020, 03:23:38 PM »
I didn't forget it. I just found worse candidates. Also, if you watch the edited version without Troi and Riker it's nowhere near as insufferable.

Oh it is. Everything about the episode is awful. Not just Troi and Riker. I actively hate that episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: March 17, 2020, 07:20:12 PM »
Enterprise is the only series that I haven't seen all the way through. I'm currently in season 3 but I'm looking forward this the finale. I can't wait to see what's so bad about it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2235 on: March 17, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
I don't want to misrepresent the episode. It's not bad in the same way a lot of the bad TNG or DS9 or Voyager episodes are. It's not overly silly or awful effects or too cheesy. It's bad because of how insulting it is to what the show was building to at that moment. It insulted the characters, it insulted the plot, and it kind of insulted dedicated Trek fans. I can't explain more without spoiling it, but don't go in expecting Sub Rosa or anything, it's not that kind of bad.

Just looked up a random Worst Star Trek episodes ever list and it had it as number 2.

Edit: Just checked out a bunch of other 10 worst episode lists, and it was always in the top 5, usually in position 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:14:40 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2236 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:48 PM »
I only caught Enterprise once in a while when it was on, and have seen maybe a dozen episodes altogether.  My wife has been recording them on H & I channel, and she shared the Enterprise finale with me.  I completely understand the WTF, and I'm not even a fan to begin with.  I consider myself a Trek fan, but like many, I don't blindly love everything Trek and in fact reserve the right to critique the hell out of it.  And man, that was bad.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2237 on: March 18, 2020, 03:31:01 AM »
One episode of Voyager and Trek in general that I dislike, that doesn't get enough hate is 'The Q and the Grey'.   Basically Q turns up on Voyager and asks Janeway to mate with him.....Awful.   First half is a Q trying to serenade Janeway with a series of painfully unfunny terrible set comedy routines.  Then we get a  jealous female Q turn up and more terrible love triangle comedy...then we get some strange re-ienactment of the American Civil War, because metaphor reasons.....

The whole thing is just terrible and completely shites on the established lore of Q (and the Q).

And all the time Q is hitting on Janeway - she never says, OK I'll do it but you have to send us home,  you know the whole premise of the show.

This episode also features Neelix's stupid island holo-program - which appeared for about 5 episodes and was embarrassing in every one.

Generally those Worst Trek episode lists are full of hokey, goofy episodes - bad obviously, but you can take something from them by laughing at how stupid they are.  The worst ones are the flatout boring episodes TNG's 'Devil's Due',  DS9's 'Chrysalis' or Voy 'Unforgettable' for example, completely devoid of anything interesting.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:56:44 AM by soupytwist »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2238 on: March 18, 2020, 08:56:54 AM »
One episode of Voyager and Trek in general that I dislike, that doesn't get enough hate is 'The Q and the Grey'.   Basically Q turns up on Voyager and asks Janeway to mate with him.....Awful.   First half is a Q trying to serenade Janeway with a series of painfully unfunny terrible set comedy routines.  Then we get a  jealous female Q turn up and more terrible love triangle comedy...then we get some strange re-ienactment of the American Civil War, because metaphor reasons.....

The whole thing is just terrible and completely shites on the established lore of Q (and the Q).

And all the time Q is hitting on Janeway - she never says, OK I'll do it but you have to send us home,  you know the whole premise of the show.

This episode also features Neelix's stupid island holo-program - which appeared for about 5 episodes and was embarrassing in every one.

Generally those Worst Trek episode lists are full of hokey, goofy episodes - bad obviously, but you can take something from them by laughing at how stupid they are.  The worst ones are the flatout boring episodes TNG's 'Devil's Due',  DS9's 'Chrysalis' or Voy 'Unforgettable' for example, completely devoid of anything interesting.
Over time Q became a comedic character. Sort of like Scotty in the movies. That was a shame. Though in this case it was DS9 that transformed him. I think that's where the sense of menace disappeared. The same thing happened with the Borg becoming villains of the week (FC, I would say). That said, I thought Death Wish was very good.

And I liked Devil's Due, if mostly for the courtroom aspect. Those episodes always amuse me.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: March 18, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
I hate Q and everything to do with him.  In general, I don't care for omnipotent beings in ST, but he was particularly annoying.