Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275357 times)

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1505 on: December 08, 2017, 06:57:31 AM »
Everyone says they're a big TOS fan (except for JJ who openly hated it, which showed in how much he shat all over it). It was a popular show in the 60s/70s. It doesn't mean they get it on a deeper level level, or are capable of writing a proper Trek movie.
I don't like Tarantino, and what I've seen of his work is the polar opposite of what Trek represents, and he belongs nowhere near the franchise. Making it R rated is further evidence that this is going off course. Discovery had the same freedom, and we got Klingon sex scenes and Starfleet members randomly blurting out the F word for shock value, and not a shred of true Trek to be found.

I agree with all of this - apart from the F Word in Discovery, I actually thought that was kind off cute in the way it was done.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1506 on: December 08, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
I'm a big Tarantino fan, and this is an amazingly stupid idea. Blob's assessment seems about right. He had an idea for a story, pitched it to TPTB, and they're falling all over themselves trying to make it work because it's QT and it's money. Also, I gather it'll be the fourth movie that the principle JJ cast had agreed to do.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1507 on: December 08, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »
Screw it. I say go for it. If ST is going to die, let it go out in a blaze of Terrentino glory. I want people calling Uhura the N word. I want 90's hand guns suddenly in use by Klingons. I want a scene where Spock is literally covered head to toe in Romulan blood after massacring them with a sword. I want a 45 minute scene of Chekov and Sulu talking about complete nonsense while helming the enterprise. I want Sam Jackson as the enemy. I want all of this.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1508 on: December 08, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Screw it. I say go for it. If ST is going to die, let it go out in a blaze of Terrentino glory. I want people calling Uhura the N word. I want 90's hand guns suddenly in use by Klingons. I want a scene where Spock is literally covered head to toe in Romulan blood after massacring them with a sword. I want a 45 minute scene of Chekov and Sulu talking about complete nonsense while helming the enterprise as they pilot it into a black hole. I want Sam Jackson as the enemy. I want all of this.

FTFY
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Adami

« Reply #1509 on: December 08, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »
You know what? Perfect.

Let them do that. Make it a 3 hour movie with the last 1.5 hours just them talking as they're about to die in a black hole.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1510 on: December 08, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
Christoph Waltz as a Vorta for the win. Yeah, I know they're from a different series, but Paramount probably doesn't and what difference does it make anyway. Sam Jackson can be a Jem Hadar first. "Victory is LIFE, BITCH!"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1511 on: December 08, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
Christoph Waltz as a Vorta for the win. Yeah, I know they're from a different series, but Paramount probably doesn't and what difference does it make anyway. Sam Jackson can be a Jem Hadar first. "Victory is LIFE, BITCH!"

YES!

What other bad ideas can we pitch for this movie that are still somewhat realistic?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: December 08, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
Harvey Keitel as a backroom Borg vivisectionist implanting technology while he smokes Pall Mall reds.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1513 on: December 08, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
Screw it. I say go for it. If ST is going to die, let it go out in a blaze of Terrentino glory. I want people calling Uhura the N word. I want 90's hand guns suddenly in use by Klingons. I want a scene where Spock is literally covered head to toe in Romulan blood after massacring them with a sword. I want a 45 minute scene of Chekov and Sulu talking about complete nonsense while helming the enterprise. I want Sam Jackson as the enemy. I want all of this.

Yeah, go for it! Don't look back!

Star trek needs something, some kind of shot in the arm right now. JJ movies were fine, but didn't make the lasting impact they were hoping for. Discovery is very controversial, regardless of how well it will do and how long it will be before it is cancelled!

They need something shocking, and Tarantino's F bomb filled Star Trek movie just might be that! Because Star Trek has been on life support for years, despite the new show and JJ's movies.

Go for it Tarantino. Make the most controversial Star Trek film ever, screw what us fans think!

YES!

Harvey Keitel as a backroom Borg vivisectionist implanting technology while he smokes Pall Mall reds.
So Much YES!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1514 on: December 08, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
God Damn, you guys.

:lol :biggrin: :lol :biggrin: :lol :biggrin: :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1515 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:23 PM »
:lol wtf. We're now venturing into "so bad it's good" territory here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #1516 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
:lol wtf. We're now venturing into "so bad it's good" territory here.

Like I said, if you're going to kill Star Trek, kill it with pure insanity.

Of course, all of my ideas are only good if it's the last Star Trek movie for a very long time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1517 on: December 09, 2017, 06:46:43 AM »
What other bad ideas can we pitch for this movie that are still somewhat realistic?

"I am sick of all these mother fucking tribbles, on this mother fucking starship"

Clearly, a Christopher Walken cameo will be required.

Steve Buscemi as a Ferengi?  He's got the teeth for it already.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: December 09, 2017, 06:50:58 AM »

That is inspired.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: December 09, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »

That is inspired.

Seriously... and the dude knows it.  Google image search him, and 99% of the time he smiles with his mouth closed.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1520 on: December 09, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »
John Travolta as a red shirt.

Please?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1521 on: December 09, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
With the R rating, i'm actually really excited to see what kind of red shirt treatment, Tarantino is going to give to the unlucky crew members. :biggrin:

Also, i can already imagine McCoy screaming to a tricorder: "Klingon motherfucker, do you speak it!"

Online Adami

« Reply #1522 on: December 09, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »
As far as I know Tarantino is neither writing nor directing this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: December 09, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
As far as I know Tarantino is neither writing nor directing this.

Why you gotta poo-poo on the fun? 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: January 05, 2018, 07:24:01 PM »
The actor who played the kid Alexander Rozhenko in TNG has died. It doesn't state a cause of death, but he had some problems didn't he? Pretty sad.

https://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-tng-actor-jon-paul-steuer

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1525 on: January 05, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
Damn. Too young.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #1526 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1527 on: January 05, 2018, 10:41:46 PM »
The actor who played the kid Alexander Rozhenko in TNG has died. It doesn't state a cause of death, but he had some problems didn't he? Pretty sad.

https://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-tng-actor-jon-paul-steuer
I could be wrong, but I don't think he was the troubled one. Seems like the kid that went astray was a Hispanic guy, and I think he might have been in Colorado.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1528 on: January 05, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
Yes to Colorado, no to Hispanic.

The kid who died played Alexander in one episode I believe. The one we usually think of Alexander is a musician who has had some legal trouble for various reasons, but is alive.

The one who just died was in the vegan food business.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: January 06, 2018, 12:17:45 AM »
You're right, looks like I'm thinking of the slightly older kid Alexander actor. I'd forgotten there was another kid.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1530 on: January 06, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
The older one was Brian Bonsall.  Bonsall played Alexander seven times altogether.  He was also the younger kid they added to Family Ties when they thought they needed a younger kid on the show.

It's a little bit misleading when the headlines all say "Star Trek Actor" and that he was Alexander, when most people think first of Bonsall, but that's pretty much all he (Jon Paul Steuer) was known for, so that's all they have.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: January 06, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
I guess without that, there's no headline. It's kinda clickbait-y, but it's better than no article at all. :dunno:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1532 on: January 06, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
Yeah :dunno:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:12 AM »
Oh god, Discovery is back.  :mehlin

Given the stuff at the start, I'm guessing they've ended up in the mirror universe or something? It would bust some people's wishful thinking that this show takes place in the mirror universe (which is a dumb idea anyway, since the mirror universe NEVER had a Federation).

Looks like I was right, as obvious as it was anyway.
So now they've screwed up with two universes! Wrong uniforms again. Wrong Terran empire logo. At least they're acknowledging Enterprise, although having to acknowledge Enterprise is never good. :lol
More mindless deaths because GOT. Looks like that guy is a Klingon turned human? Although going by The Trouble With Tribbles, it should be easily detectable by a DNA scan, not that well hidden. The Constitution design was wrong. No wonder they tried to disguise it in wireframe. Still much better than the other JJ enterpise designs though.

Online Adami

« Reply #1534 on: January 08, 2018, 12:23:10 AM »
I haven't been watching at all. Is it really taking place in the mirror universe?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1535 on: January 08, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »
The Discovery accidentally warped into the mirror universe at the end of the mid season finale, and I assume they'll spend most of the rest of the season there at least.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1536 on: January 08, 2018, 05:16:12 AM »
Oh god, Discovery is back.  :mehlin

Given the stuff at the start, I'm guessing they've ended up in the mirror universe or something? It would bust some people's wishful thinking that this show takes place in the mirror universe (which is a dumb idea anyway, since the mirror universe NEVER had a Federation).

Looks like I was right, as obvious as it was anyway.
So now they've screwed up with two universes! Wrong uniforms again. Wrong Terran empire logo. At least they're acknowledging Enterprise, although having to acknowledge Enterprise is never good. :lol
More mindless deaths because GOT. Looks like that guy is a Klingon turned human? Although going by The Trouble With Tribbles, it should be easily detectable by a DNA scan, not that well hidden. The Constitution design was wrong. No wonder they tried to disguise it in wireframe. Still much better than the other JJ enterpise designs though.

I saw your twitter post this morning blob and it was hilarious.

I wish they didn't do away with the speed fin :(

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1537 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »
Their terran counterparts sound a lot more interesting, tbh. This show could have been better if the story was about the terran resistance as up until now it felt like we were watching about self-delusional terrans who were also kind of incompetent.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1538 on: January 09, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
I for one am very happy so far with DSC. The Mudd episodes were excellent, so was the time travel one, and now a Mirror universe story arc.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1539 on: January 10, 2018, 03:04:38 AM »
I think the show is improving at quite a fast pace.  3 of the last 4 episodes have been really good, including this latest one, I was worried how Discovery would cover the general campiness of the Mirror universe and was pleased they just went with it, inculding the silliness of characters having 'evil' versions was intact, had some fun with Captain Killy and Lorca doing a Scotty impression :)

I'm pretty sure the Lorca we've been following is going to turn out to be the mirror Lorca, and the stuff with Ash is interesting too.  Don't mind the deaths, one of the most interesting things about TNG series one (watching it on it's original showing) was the death of Tasha Yarr, it felt (pre internet age) no one was safe for a while and actually added some jeopardy.  Later on when we looked behind the curtain and found out it wasn't a writers choice, but the actor wanting to leave - it felt disappointing :)