Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270675 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1470 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »
I love Q. Maybe not all his episodes, but in general.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1471 on: November 30, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »
John de Lancie is great as Q (or any character), but having an omnipotent character doesn't always make for the best stories. I found those episodes very hit and miss.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1472 on: December 01, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »
Beings like Q, traversing parallel universes and the amount of time travelling that happens constantly in ST is why it's impossible to say what is canon and what isn't!

I generally enjoy the Q episodes mainly for the banter between Q and Picard, which is nearly always gold.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: December 01, 2017, 03:00:57 AM »
Beings like Q, traversing parallel universes and the amount of time travelling that happens constantly in ST is why it's impossible to say what is canon and what isn't!

It's really not. That's a lazy cop-out excuse.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1474 on: December 01, 2017, 03:19:42 AM »
Those Q episodes are hit or miss, especially on TNG.

Q episodes of season 1 were awful. Q Who is in my top5 of TNG episodes. And I really like the series finale!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1475 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:31 AM »

It's really not. That's a lazy cop-out excuse.

Not really, if you have a characters with God like powers who can change/bend/ realitiy at will - who knows what crazy fucked up shite he's been getting up to when not annoying Picard :).

As for Time travel - well one in every 15 episodes of Star Trek involved some sort of Time Travel, and 4 of the 13 movies had Time Travel elements!   Expand that to the entire Star Trek universe and people/races will be constantly travelling back and forth - they aren't all going to be as nice or lucky as the crew of whichever show we are watching.  Imagine what the Romulans or Cardassians would do!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1476 on: December 01, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »
As others have said, Q episodes are hit and miss but Q as a character is fantastic. I didn't like the Q/Picard banter as much as I liked him demeaning Riker and Janeway all the time. Adding chauvinism on top of his basic Q arrogance was fantastic. To that end Death Wish is a great episode.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1477 on: December 01, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
I think my favorite Q episode is the one where he loses his powers and chooses human form (aboard the Enterprise of course) to live out his now-mortal days. 

Towards the end, Corbin Bernson shows up and DeLancie's character sees him and goes "Q!" and Corbin Bernson is like "Hey Q" and I think this is the first time we realize that there are other Q and they just call each other "Q" because they're all Q, of the Q Continuum.  Turns out Bernson/Q is the one who got DeLancie/Q kicked out, but after some chat, Bernson/Q kinda shrugs and says "Okay... you got your powers back."  Immortality, omnipotence, everything, but to them it's like resetting your password or something.  No biggie, don't do it again, later.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1478 on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »
Corbin Bernson was great as Q. I love that they're all so eccentric.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1479 on: December 03, 2017, 05:30:00 AM »
I think my favorite Q episode is the one where he loses his powers and chooses human form (aboard the Enterprise of course) to live out his now-mortal days. 

Agreed.  When I think of the 'great' Q episodes, Deja Q is the one that comes to mind.  The part where he comes back at the end with the Mariachi band... pure gold.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: December 03, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
Finishing up season 4 of TNG, great season! A lot of episodes I haven't seen before.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1481 on: December 03, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
TNG was starting to get good around Season 4. It was my favorite show for a while there. Early 90's or so, something like that.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1482 on: December 04, 2017, 01:11:21 AM »
Seasons 3,4 and 5 are the golden years of TNG! So many great episodes!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1483 on: December 04, 2017, 04:32:51 AM »
Seasons 3,4 and 5 are the golden years of TNG! So many great episodes!

Agreed.  There are some good episodes found in season 6 and 7 but the quality is generally lower - mainly because most of the better writers had hopped over to DS9 at that point.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1484 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:07 AM »
Breaking News!

Quentin Tarantino has pitched an idea of a Star Trek Movie to Paramount! He is reportedly working on a script with a bunch of writers, and with JJ Abrams. No joke, I'm dead serious!

Obviously, if this happens it's still many years away. Tarantino will be busy with the Charles Manson biopic, so it's going to happen after that. And it's not given if he even directs this movie.

But a Star Trek movie, possibly directed by Tarantino! How exciting is that!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:34:24 AM by Polarbear »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:05 AM »
Further proof these people have absolutely no idea what Star Trek is about. Star Trek is not compatible with Tarantino, like at all.

Unless they want to remake Mirror Mirror, A Piece of the Action, or Patterns of Force. :neverusethis:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1486 on: December 05, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »
Further proof these people have absolutely no idea what Star Trek is about. Star Trek is not compatible with Tarantino, like at all.

Yeah I agree with that. 
I'd like to see someone like Rupert Wyatt, Darren Aronofsky, Christopher Nolan, Alex Garland or Denis Villeneuve - get ago at making a more cerebral ST film.   If they go down the action/adventure space romp route again then someone like Brad Bird or Stephen Moffat (yeah really) would be my preferred choice.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1487 on: December 05, 2017, 08:13:07 AM »
QT's last movie isn't going to be Star Trek.

And I'm starting to accept that ST just isn't good for the movie format. You need the series format to smooth things out between the good, the bad, and the average.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »
QT's last movie isn't going to be Star Trek.

And I'm starting to accept that ST just isn't good for the movie format. You need the series format to smooth things out between the good, the bad, and the average.

Yeah, I've been saying that for years. Unfortunately, the series has now devolved into just being like the movies.  :-\

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1489 on: December 06, 2017, 03:32:45 AM »
I just caught the Next Gen episode 'Rascals' and 'Homebound' on TV.  I forgot how how easily the Ferengi take over the Enterprise in 'Rascals' making the crew look like idiots (Worf, comeon Klingon dude you gotta react quicker than that!).   The Kid actors are mostly forgettably bland, but credit to the kid who plays young Picard, who really, really hams it up (and is quite entertaining).  That bed jumping scene....cringe!   Also the Miles and young Keiko stuff is quite...wrong?  'Does this mean our marriage is over'?  Hmmm.

'Homebound' is just a awful episode, full of Prime Directive wankery that makes you think Star Fleet are an utter bunch of cunts.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:50:38 AM by soupytwist »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: December 06, 2017, 04:09:39 AM »
Rascals. Oh lawdy.

I don't recall Homebound at all (from a quick Google I believe you mean Homeward?), been too long since I've watched them all. Obviously wasn't a stand-out.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1491 on: December 06, 2017, 04:38:34 AM »
Rascals. Oh lawdy.

I don't recall Homebound at all (from a quick Google I believe you mean Homeward?), been too long since I've watched them all. Obviously wasn't a stand-out.

Yeah my bad it's 'Homeward'.   .....Dying Planet, Worf Foster brother on planet bonding with primitive civilization, Prime Directive states they can't save the people (so the crew just watch the planet die from the viewing screen), turns out Worf brother has teleported his villagers into the holosuit, set up to look like the caves they were hiding in.....blah, blah, blah.

Rascals is terrible, but entertaining, but terrible.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: December 06, 2017, 04:42:38 AM »
I don't recall enjoying Rascals even on a so bad it's good level, but I generally have a thing against kids in shows. And in real life.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: December 06, 2017, 05:16:43 AM »
I just googled what number episode rascals is so I can make sure I'm blackout drunk during the episode

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: December 06, 2017, 05:21:29 AM »
I just googled what number episode rascals is so I can make sure I'm blackout drunk during the episode

Or just skip it bro. :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1495 on: December 06, 2017, 05:27:35 AM »

Or just skip it bro. :lol

...straight into the equally stupid 'Fistful of Data's'   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: December 06, 2017, 05:28:35 AM »
I'd still watch that all day before Rascals, for what that's worth. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: December 06, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »
No I’ve made it a mission to watch all the eps lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1498 on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:50 AM »
No I’ve made it a mission to watch all the eps lol

I wish you luck.  At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel when you hit Masks, Sub Rosa and Genesis all within the space of about 5 episodes - as there are only a handful of episodes to go  :corn

Season 7 of TNG is quite similar to the 3rd and final season of TOS.  There is good to be found, but when it's bad it's Spock Brain bad.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1499 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »
Season 7 has a handful of good episodes, but it's clear they'd just run out of ideas. "I dunno, have we done anything with Geordi's mother yet???" Gambit, like most of the mid-season two-parters was good. Ro going native was good. And of course AGT. But the bad ones were worse than awful TOS, and S7 was chock full of them.
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1500 on: December 08, 2017, 01:31:12 AM »
Looks like Tarantino's Star Trek movie will be rated R!

This is going to be so great, i love it! :lol

In related news, looks like he will team up with the writer of 'The Revenant' for this project!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: December 08, 2017, 03:05:19 AM »
Is this Tarantino thing a prank, or are they really this clueless about the franchise? Or are they just so desperate for any kind of relevance that they don't give a shit?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1502 on: December 08, 2017, 03:12:07 AM »
Tarantino is a big fan of Star Trek, TOS in particular.

Report stated that he would direct this thing, only if Paramount let him make it R rated. And they said yes..

So idk, this could be cool. Tarantino is one of my favorite directors of all time, so i'm at the very least intrigued by this whole thing!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: December 08, 2017, 03:18:22 AM »
Everyone says they're a big TOS fan (except for JJ who openly hated it, which showed in how much he shat all over it). It was a popular show in the 60s/70s. It doesn't mean they get it on a deeper level level, or are capable of writing a proper Trek movie.
I don't like Tarantino, and what I've seen of his work is the polar opposite of what Trek represents, and he belongs nowhere near the franchise. Making it R rated is further evidence that this is going off course. Discovery had the same freedom, and we got Klingon sex scenes and Starfleet members randomly blurting out the F word for shock value, and not a shred of true Trek to be found.

Paramount just want the money this will bring in from the non-Trek fans.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: December 08, 2017, 06:48:24 AM »
Everyone says they're a big TOS fan (except for JJ who openly hated it, which showed in how much he shat all over it). It was a popular show in the 60s/70s. It doesn't mean they get it on a deeper level level, or are capable of writing a proper Trek movie.

I'm not that big of a fan of TOS :lol

So many questions arise if QT is going to make this movie, like for example will it be in another alternate universe?