Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 273787 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1365 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
Out of curiosity, was the Chinese captain part of the prologue and now we're onto Isaacs? That guy's been kind of a dick with his upfront attitude that trekkies can go fuck themselves. This is the guy that gleefully posted that they were going to dump all over the legacy of Kirk and Picard.

Yep. She was captain of the Shenzou, and she got killed at the end of episode 2, and the ship got blown up (spoilers, but like anyone cares). At the start of episode 3, it jumps ahead a few months and Michael actually arrives on the Discovery, which has that dude, along with a few of the crew from the Shenzou. I've hated that Isaacs dude since seeing those remarks, and his character isn't much more likable, which is typical of basically every character in the show.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1366 on: October 05, 2017, 01:39:21 AM »
Jason Isaacs is a great guy and a great actor (Hello Jason!).

The stuff that was written about him was from one crappy clickbait gossip column.  Denied straight away by Isaacs himself, and if you read any of the many proper interviews he's done pre and post that column you'll see he has nothing but respect to the franchise and Shatner/Stewart.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:58:51 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1367 on: October 07, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »

* The worst part in ST09 for me is the coincidence of Kirk just happening across prime Spock!

I loved that.  Kirk and Spock were butting heads so severely up until that point, so it was nice to see the older Spock give him some advice and tell him that they become very good friends and that he needs Spock in his life and vice versa.  It was a good way to communicate that element (since it wasn't going to develop naturally based on how each character was relating to the other) and give Leonard Nimoy a cameo and remain very important to the Kirk/Spock relationship.

It was also super duper contrived that he happened to get jettisoned in that exact same area of space, land on the same planet (or moon or whatever it was), and happened to be within walking distance and stumble across him. But that's typical JJ story telling for you.

I just happened to be re-watching this today, and you are missing a couple of important details. 

1) It was established that Nero wanted Spock to watch Vulcan be destroyed.  So he was placed at a spot where he could see that.   If was a "he could have been anywhere in the universe" situation, then yes, the odds would be infinite and the entire idea of "happening" on each other would be completely stupid.   But they were both nearby Vulcan in the same vicinity because of that event. 

2) This particular moon made it more likely for both of them to be there because there was a starfleet outpost nearby. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1368 on: October 07, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »
He landed on a PLANET and found him. I live in LA, and so do most major Hollywood actors. I never run into them. Ever.

The odds of them finding each other on the same planet, totally by chance, is still astronomical.

It was dumb. The movie was dumb.

It may have been fun. It may have been well made. It may have been likable. It was also very very dumb.

To me, ST09 is not much different than the first Transformers. Big dumb movie that is enjoyable if you completely turn off your brain.

Into Darkness crossed the line into too dumb to enjoy (for me) and Beyond went back to dumb but enjoyable for the most part. I just miss the days when ST wasn't so dumb and it didn't require the brain being turned off, and it wasn't just big popcorn entertainment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1369 on: October 07, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
He landed on a PLANET and found him. I live in LA, and so do most major Hollywood actors. I never run into them. Ever.

The odds of them finding each other on the same planet, totally by chance, is still astronomical.

If there were ONLY you and one other guy in LA, and the rest of it was abandoned.   I think you'd have a much better chance of running into each other.  And if there was a third guy in the only building left standing....chances of all three of you bumping into each other just went WAAAAYYYY up.

Online Adami

« Reply #1370 on: October 07, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »

If there were ONLY you and one other guy in LA, and the rest of it was abandoned.   I think you'd have a much better chance of running into each other.  And if there was a third guy in the only building left standing....chances of all three of you bumping into each other just went WAAAAYYYY up.

Yes, after months and months and months of looking for people. Not in a few minutes of arriving.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1371 on: October 07, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
 I believe that "only building standing" shrinks that time by quite a bit because everybody is going to be looking for shelter.

Then, add to that  nothing in the movies happens real time. So now you're bringing in a phenomenon that's from just about every film ever made.

Online Adami

« Reply #1372 on: October 07, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
I believe that "only building standing" shrinks that time by quite a bit because everybody is going to be looking for shelter.

Then, add to that  nothing in the movies happens real time. So now you're bringing in a phenomenon that's from just about every film ever made.

Was that base 10 stories tall? I'm pretty sure it was underground. Might be wrong though.

And that scene took place over a few hours MAX. So no, still not buying it.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend it so vehemently. If it didn't bother you, awesome. But you're not going to logically convince me not to think it was dumb.

Because it was dumb. Like the rest of the movie.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1373 on: October 07, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
I am only pointing out logic.   Granted it is MOVIE logic (especially where the time line is concerned), but some of the rest of it isn't that big of a stretch and I honestly think it's one of the lesser points to be bothered by.   I mean, the "red matter" I can kinda get.   But given the factors that I've made clear, I honestly don't think it's [Spock and Kirk meeting] as big a stretch as you and Blob have made it out to be. 

Online Adami

« Reply #1374 on: October 07, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »
I am only pointing out logic.   Granted it is MOVIE logic (especially where the time line is concerned), but some of the rest of it isn't that big of a stretch and I honestly think it's one of the lesser points to be bothered by.   I mean, the "red matter" I can kinda get.   But given the factors that I've made clear, I honestly don't think it's [Spock and Kirk meeting] as big a stretch as you and Blob have made it out to be.

I mean, it is a big stretch. I agree it's not even one of the bigger problems with the movie however. It's just the thing you guys were talking about when I checked the thread. If you guys wanted to talk about any other part of the movie and how dumb it was, I'd be happy to join in that too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1375 on: October 07, 2017, 05:54:34 PM »
I didn't even really bring it up in the first place.  You guys had just been talking about it earlier.  And as I was watching it today, a couple of things leaped out at me that made me go, "hey, that really isn't as big a deal as they tried to say it was."    I mean, TO ME anyway.

I wish we had "tone in text" because I'm being very chill and even a little bit giggle-y, and I dont' think that's coming across.

Online Adami

« Reply #1376 on: October 07, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
I didn't even really bring it up in the first place.  You guys had just been talking about it earlier.  And as I was watching it today, a couple of things leaped out at me that made me go, "hey, that really isn't as big a deal as they tried to say it was."    I mean, TO ME anyway.

I wish we had "tone in text" because I'm being very chill and even a little bit giggle-y, and I dont' think that's coming across.

Oh. I was reading all of your posts as the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket.

......ALL of your posts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1377 on: October 07, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
Well, I only see two kinds of posts here......now which one are you, boy?   :rollin :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: October 07, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »

It was dumb. The movie was dumb.

It may have been fun. It may have been well made. It may have been likable. It was also very very dumb.

To me, ST09 is not much different than the first Transformers. Big dumb movie that is enjoyable if you completely turn off your brain.

Into Darkness crossed the line into too dumb to enjoy (for me) and Beyond went back to dumb but enjoyable for the most part. I just miss the days when ST wasn't so dumb and it didn't require the brain being turned off, and it wasn't just big popcorn entertainment.

Preach it, sister!

I know that the planet (or whatever) had significance, but there were still a lot of variables that made it fairly unbelievable that Kirk happened to be within walking distance of Spock and happen to find him. And that's only one of many issues.

Now, enough about this new stuff that happens to be called Star Trek, in a few hours I'll be seeing TWOK on the big screen! :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #1379 on: October 07, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
I saw it in theaters a few weeks back. Great experience.

I hope they might re-release Voyage Home and/or Undiscovered Country in theaters too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: October 07, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
Dunno, but I'd be down for that. I sat through Into Darkness at the cinema, so they owe me at least that much.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1381 on: October 08, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
I saw it in theaters in 1982.  :hat 

While part of that is me being a smartass, I'm also pretty envious. I remember the experience(s) quite fondly. I'd love to see it again on the big screen but the opportunity hasn't shown up. Others are getting to and I'm glad they get the chance. It's a great movie to see in a theater. None of the ST movies that came after it translated as well to the theater experience.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: October 08, 2017, 05:02:09 AM »
Hey, I'm envious of anyone who got to see this for the first time on the big screen. I'm glad I got the chance to finally see it at the cinema, and it was great, but I didn't get to witness that ending fresh with a bunch of unsuspecting fans.

And the movie still holds up damn well, of course. :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1383 on: October 08, 2017, 06:06:23 AM »
I as well sorry in the theaters in 1982 with my dad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1384 on: October 08, 2017, 07:35:08 AM »
Back in 1990, when there were only five Star Trek movies out, a theater near us had a special Saturday event called "Sit Long and Prosper", showing all five movies.  It was amazing.  A "normal" 15-minute break between the first two so people could hit the bathrooms, grab something from the concessions, etc., an hour between II and III for dinner, then back for IV and V with a 15-minute break between those two.

Another draw was the first official trailer for ST VI.  When we saw "This is Captain Sulu of the USS Excelsior" the place went nuts.

Anyway, it was really cool seeing them on the big screen again like that, especially II-III-IV which form a trilogy of sorts.  After IV, we were getting pretty tired, and wife wanted to leave.  She's also not big on ST V (most aren't), but I kinda wanted to stay for it anyway, partly because I don't hate it like so many do, and partly because we'd paid for the whole thing, so on principle I wanted to stay for the whole thing.  But she pointed out that our dog had been inside for close to nine hours at that point, and we really should try to get home before he has an accident.

We did not get home in time.  But it was cool seeing ST:TMP through ST IV on the big screen like that.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1385 on: October 09, 2017, 01:29:45 AM »
Discovery is improving each episode so far.  Actually really enjoyed episode 4, there was a more 'Star Trek' feel to this episode, we got some Science discussion and some ethical questions!  The Klingon B-Plot was also good, still not sold on their appearance at all, but they are interesting.  Couple of 'Didn't see that coming' moments as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: October 09, 2017, 01:31:36 AM »
Well the new episode of STD wasn't any better than the last one, just the same old garbage. I can't say it was any worse, because once you hit the bottom of the barrel, there's no further you can go.
Hey writers, "drama" doesn't mean everyone has to be a complete bitch to each other at all times. Nobody on this show is even remotely likable, except for Doug Jones' tall alien dude, and that's no thanks to the writing.
I thought the idea of a spore drive engine was bad, but a spore drive engine that can only be navigated by a giant tardigrade monster? What the fuck is this shit? Thoroughly junk, and not even original junk. The Klingon scenes are beyond tedious to sit through.
I feel like this whole show is just taking a dive to win a bet. There is literally zero entertainment value in this show so far.

Next week will have "Mudd" in it, or should I say, it has a character named Mudd in it. I can already tell that one 's going to be a joy to sit through.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1387 on: October 09, 2017, 02:04:24 AM »
Well the new episode of STD wasn't any better than the last one, just the same old garbage. I can't say it was any worse, because once you hit the bottom of the barrel, there's no further you can go.
Hey writers, "drama" doesn't mean everyone has to be a complete bitch to each other at all times. Nobody on this show is even remotely likable, except for Doug Jones' tall alien dude, and that's no thanks to the writing.
I thought the idea of a spore drive engine was bad, but a spore drive engine that can only be navigated by a giant tardigrade monster? What the fuck is this shit? Thoroughly junk, and not even original junk. The Klingon scenes are beyond tedious to sit through.
I feel like this whole show is just taking a dive to win a bet. There is literally zero entertainment value in this show so far.

Next week will have "Mudd" in it, or should I say, it has a character named Mudd in it. I can already tell that one 's going to be a joy to sit through.

Ha! 

Discovery vs Orville will be the new Kirk vs Picard*  :biggrin:

We are the ST fanbase in a microcosm.  Do you ever go to Jammer's Star Trek site?  The dude is a ST junkie and has written about and reviewed every single ST episode and film and is currently doing the same for The Orville and Discovery - but it's the comments after the reviews that are fascinating, it's basically everyone is liking one and hating the other.   

*Kirk everytime.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:03:14 AM by soupytwist »

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #1388 on: October 09, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
Discovery is improving each episode so far.  Actually really enjoyed episode 4, there was a more 'Star Trek' feel to this episode, we got some Science discussion and some ethical questions!  The Klingon B-Plot was also good, still not sold on their appearance at all, but they are interesting.  Couple of 'Didn't see that coming' moments as well.

Yeah I gotta say it's getting better, I already think it's better than Voyager and Enterprise.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
I'd say that STD has zero hope of ever being in the same league as any other Trek series. Even Enterprise isn't looking too bad now compared to this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1390 on: October 09, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »
It could certainly wind up being a better series. Comparing it to Star Trek doesn't make a lot of sense, though. It's like comparing Airplane! to The Godfather. They're trying to do completely different things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1391 on: October 09, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
I am speechless. Did they let their diversity hires picked off the street at random write or are they trying to forever kill Star Trek on purpose?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »
It could certainly wind up being a better series.

I dare you to watch all 4 episodes and say that again, man. :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1393 on: October 10, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
Just making a distinction between being a better show and being a better Star Trek.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: October 10, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »
To me the distinction is moot, as I can't see it succeeding in either case. IMO this isn't just a bad Star Trek series, nor just a bad scifi show, but an outright bad television show by any measure.

Online Adami

« Reply #1395 on: October 10, 2017, 11:40:56 PM »
Including myself, there's (I think) 5 people posting here for the most part.

I haven't see it. I don't think El Barto has seen it.

Blob hates it.

The other two dudes absolutely love it.

Numbers be scary yo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: October 10, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »
But you trust me don't you, Adami?

Online Adami

« Reply #1397 on: October 10, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
But you trust me don't you, Adami?

Baby, if you told me the sky was made of ice cream, I'd go grab a bowl.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1398 on: October 11, 2017, 01:16:47 AM »
Including myself, there's (I think) 5 people posting here for the most part.

I haven't see it. I don't think El Barto has seen it.

Blob hates it.

The other two dudes absolutely love it.

I'm not loving it, but I think it could have potential.  It's certainly watchable, but it does feel more like a show like The Expanse or the modern Battlestar, rather than traditional Star Trek (It's feels closest to DS9 when it did it's Dominion take over DS9 arc (start of season 6?))

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #1399 on: October 11, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »

We just uploaded our podcast for the most recent episode. And William and I both noticed that yeah it's getting better and the Klingon's plot is growing. So we're pretty excited to see where it goes.

I still can't STAND those subtitles. Not that I can't read but when I'm staring at the bottom of the screen I miss out on some of the acting and the wonderful set design, they should give that part up cause I have to re-watch everyone of those scenes.

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/geek-usa/episode48star-trek-discovery-ep4

itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/geek-u-s-a-a-nerd-tastic-podcast/id1179864086?mt=2