Author Topic: Post your controversial music opinions v. I couldn't find the previous one  (Read 35562 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Post your controversial music opinions v. I couldn't find the previous one
« Reply #420 on: October 05, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »
They'll be able to play circles around everyone else, yes, but it's unlikely they'll ever be headlining in big arenas.

This post is basically true with regards to prog as it stands today, but it got me thinking that it is absolutely mind-boggling that at one point in time, prog acts like Yes, Genesis, Tull and ELP were headlining big arenas on a regular basis. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:32:47 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #421 on: October 05, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »
I think it's just mind boggling of the concept of Arena Tours. There just doesn't seem to be nearly as many, save for a few super popular acts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #422 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:50 AM »
 :lol

That too.  Sometimes I want groin music, sometimes I want head music(Not that one Coz, that's groin music :lol)

Now let others have fun with this post. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #423 on: October 05, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
My controversial opinion: guns n roses is the most overrated band in the history of hard rock.

That would ACTUALLY be either Radiohead or Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I see your point. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #424 on: October 05, 2016, 10:08:49 AM »
They'll be able to play circles around everyone else, yes, but it's unlikely they'll ever be headlining in big arenas.

This post is basically true with regards to prog as it stands today, but it got me thinking that it is absolutely mind-boggling that at one point in time, prog acts like Yes, Genesis, Tull and ELP were headlining big arenas on a regular basis.

That's what I grew up on.   When I was in high school, almost every band I listened to came - either as an opening act or a headliner - to the New Haven Coliseum or the Hartford Civic Center (the two arenas near me).  It was a regular occurrence.  Prog, metal, hard rock you name it.   

(Though I should point out that both Yes - when they were still prog, I might add - and Genesis - when they morphed to a slightly more pop sound - both regularly did STADIA.)   

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #425 on: October 05, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
GNR had a lot of potential, but I feel they are often rated based on what they could've achieved rather than what they actually achieved. Appetite is a classic but everything else is uneven at best. They could've been one of the greatest hard rock bands, but they let drama and ego get in the way.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #426 on: October 05, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
You can say that about all music but I see bands still making a living.  I'm not sure it's declined. I think it's just a certain limit to getting fans. I can point out so many prog mucus I love.  Yet, my taste in prog has changed multiple times over the years.

WTF  :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: October 05, 2016, 02:25:44 PM »
It's mucus that lasts a half hour.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #428 on: October 05, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »
And everyone is trying to avoid you because of it.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #429 on: October 05, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »
There's more good music now than ever before, you just have to look a lot harder for it.

Offline 425

« Reply #430 on: October 05, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
I was never impressed with the technicality of Prog bands. Suspyre started as a Progressive Power Metal band with great music and melodies. Then with their next album on onwards, they decided to get all jazzy and technical for the sake of technical, and they lost me. Bands that are basically the instrumental section of Outcry with words are boring as fuck. I'll take the derivative Circus Maximus Dream Theater clones all day over the melodyless "Math Metal" bands.

Missed a lot of this discussion and I know I'm jumping on an older post, but I just want to say I agree with this (except I'm not specifically familiar with Suspyre). Melody is the most important thing to me, way more important than the style of music being different or innovative. Seriously just toss me a Transatlantic or Circus Maximus record any day over something that's new and "inventive" but devoid of melody.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
 :lol  (at the mucus)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:17:41 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: October 05, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
:lol  (at the mucus)

Brent, this is the post your controversial opinions thread. My spelling isn't controversial.   It's expected.  :lol