Author Topic: Post your controversial music opinions v. I couldn't find the previous one  (Read 35559 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Post your controversial music opinions v. I couldn't find the previous one
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »
That's such a bad opinion omg
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2016, 07:02:36 PM »
oh yeah. let me just drop in to say that mastodon are pretty dang overrated imo. have never been able to get into leviathan, blood mountain is an incredibly average album, crack the skye is good and not great, and the hunter is again just a really average album. they have a handful of songs i like a lot but usually they're not very interesting even when they're still "okay".

I kind of agree. I mean I really like Mastodon but when Leviathan was released back in 2004 it was being heralded as the album of the century. I do like Leviathan (but Crack the Skye is my #1) but it was album of the year in all the magazines back then. Every album since has of been greeted with the same hype. So yea, that album was certainly overrated and I do agree the band are too (even though I love them they probably wouldn't crack my top #20 bands). There are certainly a lot of better bands that don't get anywhere near the amount of hype Mastodon have had in the past.

I'm pretty sure that they are very hit and miss live as well, from what I've heard.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #282 on: September 15, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
I've just posted a controversial opinion over in the Devin Townsend thread so I'll throw it around over here too.

I don't think Ghost and Casualties of Cool are anything to write home about. I find them to be mainly very dull. I understand some people like chilled out music like that at certain times but I'd be inclined to find some random chilled music on youtube if that was me.

If I listen to Devy it's not because I want some music in the background.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #283 on: September 15, 2016, 07:14:38 PM »
we cannot be friends  :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #284 on: September 15, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »
I just prefer Devin's bombastic side.

.......and to be friendless  :yeahright

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #285 on: September 15, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
Then I assume you prefer

ZILTOID!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #286 on: September 15, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »
The guitar solo for November Rain borders on being a fucking masterpiece.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: September 15, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »

Not controversial to these ears. I mean the song blows, but other than that, we are in complete agreement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #288 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »

I mean the song blows

You monster!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #289 on: September 15, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »
Russian Circles have basically become Explosions in the Sky-worshipers since their 2nd album which pretty much makes them derivative and unappealing unlike on Enter.

Murder By Death jumped the shark starting with their 3rd album In Bocca al Lupo when their singer started singing like Johnny Cash and they stopped using piano, aside from the 1 instrumental EP Finch. Which is unfortunate because their 1st 2 albums are awesome.

St.Vincent's music may be more experimental, but her songwriting has nose-dived since her refreshing King Crimson-with-Annie Haslam style vocals on her debut album "Marry Me."

Margot and the Nuclear So and So's should/should have change(d) their name (like Murder by Death) after half the members left and Richard Edwards decided to make the band go from prog to garage.

The only Riverside album worth going back to is ADHD per the energy and riffs

Angra became an unappealing Power Metal band once Andre Matos left.

Crippled Black Phoenix needs to work with a producer and stop releasing 1 hour+ albums every 2 years.

Pat Metheny, as much as I love the guy, hasn't varied his sound all that much since The Way Up, despite experimenting with different approaches (Orchestrion).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #290 on: September 15, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
The only Riverside album worth going back to is ADHD per the energy and riffs
y'know, i'm mostly inclined to agree with you here with the caveat that i also like memories in my head a fair bit but it's an ep not an album so teeeechnically i agree with you here?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2016, 01:27:20 AM »
Then I assume you prefer

ZILTOID!

I do prefer Ziltoid but those albums are fairly low on my rankings. My favourites are Ocean Machine, Epicloud, Terria, Accelerated Evolution.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2016, 01:39:55 AM »
Here's an opinion for ya.

Megadeth are completely terrible and Mastodon are the new Metallica.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2016, 01:42:19 AM »
Music is overrated
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2016, 01:57:13 AM »
Music is overrated

I prefer the medium of independent thought.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2016, 02:01:03 AM »
Music is overrated

I prefer the medium of independent thought.

What he said.

(I can't tell if that joke was subtle or obvious)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2016, 02:08:00 AM »
:)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2016, 02:14:42 AM »
Did somebody say Mastodon?
Yeah, I knew I have to love this guys but ccouldn't get into anything but Crack the Skye. Then I tried harder and now I love them. It's just one of those bands you don't like on first listen but know there is something about them.
Same thing with Devin Townsend, difference being I still don't get most of his music, sadly.   
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:22:03 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2016, 02:16:33 AM »
I loved Leviathan instantly....

As far as Mastodon go - I actually like The Hunter as much as Crack The Skye. if not more.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2016, 05:18:41 AM »
I'm not a big fan of GnR, but November Rain is a goddamn masterpiece. I recently rediscovered it, and I can't stop listening to it. Axl might be a worse singer than Dave Mustaine, but his vocals don't hinder the song in any way. Although I'd love to hear Russell Allen sing it.

November Rain is definitely their best song and, like you, I'm not a big GNR fan. It's one of their few songs that I can still listen to. Most of them being on the Use Your Illusion albums.

That's one of my "controversial" music opinions. The Use Your Illusion albums are way better than Appetite.

AOR is the one genre (not counting random fad genres) that I universally despise.

I don't generally despise it. It does have some really good moments, but for the most part it's dreadfully monotonous.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2016, 07:29:17 AM »

Not controversial to these ears. I mean the song blows, but other than that, we are in complete agreement.

Sorry, but no.  I remember getting a bootleg around the time that Appetite really hit the stratosphere (remember, it wasn't a number 1 on day of release; it was a fairly slow burn) and there was a demo version of November Rain.  Two actually, one with the piano, and one more like Dream On with the piano arranged for guitar.   I remember thinking "WTF??"  Why isn't this on Appetite?   This is going to be LEGENDARY.   And it was.  It accumulated some bloat and bombast in the intervening years, but that arrangement, that vocal, that solo...  that's a legit, top tier song right there.   

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2016, 07:44:34 AM »
I'm not saying they are grunge but they were the first band not to be hair metal and they were popular.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/426012445977565709/

That's the back of their first album.  I can see why some would group them with hair metal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2016, 07:50:33 AM »
Oh I'm not saying either but they were the first band to wear ripped jeans, t-shirts and flannels.  I'm not saying they were hair metal or grunge, they were their own in a time of hair metal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2016, 07:52:04 AM »

Sorry, but no.  I remember getting a bootleg around the time that Appetite really hit the stratosphere (remember, it wasn't a number 1 on day of release; it was a fairly slow burn) and there was a demo version of November Rain.  Two actually, one with the piano, and one more like Dream On with the piano arranged for guitar.   I remember thinking "WTF??"  Why isn't this on Appetite?   This is going to be LEGENDARY.   And it was.  It accumulated some bloat and bombast in the intervening years, but that arrangement, that vocal, that solo...  that's a legit, top tier song right there.   

That song wouldn't have worked on AFD at all, so it was the right choice not to include it. But it works perfectly with the more produced over the top sound on UYI. I would have loved to hear You Could Be Mine on AFD though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
Oh I'm not saying either but they were the first band to wear ripped jeans, t-shirts and flannels.  I'm not saying they were hair metal or grunge, they were their own in a time of hair metal.

I think they were just realistic and knew that they weren't pretty enough to go the usual hair metal style :lol

I was a Tesla fan from early on - totally obscure band in Australia and I never realised how big they were in the US until I wiki'd them a few years back and saw the chart positions etc...
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Art

« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »
About Mastodon, yeah they are incredibly overrated. Okay band, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I don´t know if they have fans here, but i think QOTSA's last album, like Clockwork, was mediocre. Everybody seems to think it's amazing, but i don't see it. boring piano ballads, no good riffs...meh.

In fact, their last good record was Lullabies to Paralize (and it has it's bad moments). I think Nick Oliveri's influence and attitude is sorely missed.

And for the record: Kyuss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> QOTSA.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »

I think they were just realistic and knew that they weren't pretty enough to go the usual hair metal style :lol

I was a Tesla fan from early on - totally obscure band in Australia and I never realised how big they were in the US until I wiki'd them a few years back and saw the chart positions etc...

:lol

We played their first album all the time while playing tackle football.  Dumb early 20 something kids being manly with no damn pads to play. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »

We played their first album all the time while playing tackle football.  Dumb early 20 something kids being manly with no damn pads to play. 
And...there is a problem with that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2016, 09:24:26 AM »
Alex Lifeson's guest solo in Porcupine Trees Anesthetize is terrible. It's especially bad coming from a man who writes great solos.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2016, 09:52:13 AM »

And...there is a problem with that?

Not in my 20's.  Now, I would be in traction for a month.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »
Alex Lifeson's guest solo in Porcupine Trees Anesthetize is terrible. It's especially bad coming from a man who writes great solos.

I always forget he wrote a solo for the song. I think I know which one, but it sound so odd, that I forget it's him. I do love the song though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
The song is great but that solo is really bad.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
lmao
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
A Moon Shaped Pool is Radiohead's best album since OK Computer.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
I find Deadhead by Devin Townsend overrated. It's pretty good, but the amount of love it gets astounds me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD