Post your controversial music opinions v. I couldn't find the previous one

Started by Super Dude, September 13, 2016, 05:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train of Naught

twosuitsluke

Quote from: Parama on September 15, 2016, 05:53:40 PM
oh yeah. let me just drop in to say that mastodon are pretty dang overrated imo. have never been able to get into leviathan, blood mountain is an incredibly average album, crack the skye is good and not great, and the hunter is again just a really average album. they have a handful of songs i like a lot but usually they're not very interesting even when they're still "okay".

I kind of agree. I mean I really like Mastodon but when Leviathan was released back in 2004 it was being heralded as the album of the century. I do like Leviathan (but Crack the Skye is my #1) but it was album of the year in all the magazines back then. Every album since has of been greeted with the same hype. So yea, that album was certainly overrated and I do agree the band are too (even though I love them they probably wouldn't crack my top #20 bands). There are certainly a lot of better bands that don't get anywhere near the amount of hype Mastodon have had in the past.

I'm pretty sure that they are very hit and miss live as well, from what I've heard.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

twosuitsluke

I've just posted a controversial opinion over in the Devin Townsend thread so I'll throw it around over here too.

I don't think Ghost and Casualties of Cool are anything to write home about. I find them to be mainly very dull. I understand some people like chilled out music like that at certain times but I'd be inclined to find some random chilled music on youtube if that was me.

If I listen to Devy it's not because I want some music in the background.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Crow

twosuitsluke

I just prefer Devin's bombastic side.

.......and to be friendless  :yeahright

Super Dude

Sir GuitarCozmo

The guitar solo for November Rain borders on being a fucking masterpiece.

TAC

Quote from: Sir GuitarCozmo on September 15, 2016, 06:22:15 PM

Not controversial to these ears. I mean the song blows, but other than that, we are in complete agreement.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Zook

SoundscapeMN

Russian Circles have basically become Explosions in the Sky-worshipers since their 2nd album which pretty much makes them derivative and unappealing unlike on Enter.

Murder By Death jumped the shark starting with their 3rd album In Bocca al Lupo when their singer started singing like Johnny Cash and they stopped using piano, aside from the 1 instrumental EP Finch. Which is unfortunate because their 1st 2 albums are awesome.

St.Vincent's music may be more experimental, but her songwriting has nose-dived since her refreshing King Crimson-with-Annie Haslam style vocals on her debut album "Marry Me."

Margot and the Nuclear So and So's should/should have change(d) their name (like Murder by Death) after half the members left and Richard Edwards decided to make the band go from prog to garage.

The only Riverside album worth going back to is ADHD per the energy and riffs

Angra became an unappealing Power Metal band once Andre Matos left.

Crippled Black Phoenix needs to work with a producer and stop releasing 1 hour+ albums every 2 years.

Pat Metheny, as much as I love the guy, hasn't varied his sound all that much since The Way Up, despite experimenting with different approaches (Orchestrion).

Crow

Quote from: SoundscapeMN on September 15, 2016, 08:31:14 PMThe only Riverside album worth going back to is ADHD per the energy and riffs
y'know, i'm mostly inclined to agree with you here with the caveat that i also like memories in my head a fair bit but it's an ep not an album so teeeechnically i agree with you here?

twosuitsluke

Quote from: Super Dude on September 15, 2016, 06:20:26 PM
Then I assume you prefer

ZILTOID!

I do prefer Ziltoid but those albums are fairly low on my rankings. My favourites are Ocean Machine, Epicloud, Terria, Accelerated Evolution.

Kotowboy

Here's an opinion for ya.

Megadeth are completely terrible and Mastodon are the new Metallica.

Kotowboy

Adami

[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Tomislav95

Did somebody say Mastodon?
Yeah, I knew I have to love this guys but ccouldn't get into anything but Crack the Skye. Then I tried harder and now I love them. It's just one of those bands you don't like on first listen but know there is something about them.
Same thing with Devin Townsend, difference being I still don't get most of his music, sadly.   

Kotowboy

I loved Leviathan instantly....

As far as Mastodon go - I actually like The Hunter as much as Crack The Skye. if not more.

Prog Snob

Quote from: Zook on September 15, 2016, 05:24:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of GnR, but November Rain is a goddamn masterpiece. I recently rediscovered it, and I can't stop listening to it. Axl might be a worse singer than Dave Mustaine, but his vocals don't hinder the song in any way. Although I'd love to hear Russell Allen sing it.

November Rain is definitely their best song and, like you, I'm not a big GNR fan. It's one of their few songs that I can still listen to. Most of them being on the Use Your Illusion albums.

That's one of my "controversial" music opinions. The Use Your Illusion albums are way better than Appetite.

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on September 14, 2016, 04:21:31 PM
AOR is the one genre (not counting random fad genres) that I universally despise.

I don't generally despise it. It does have some really good moments, but for the most part it's dreadfully monotonous.

Stadler

Quote from: TAC on September 15, 2016, 06:27:52 PM

Not controversial to these ears. I mean the song blows, but other than that, we are in complete agreement.

Sorry, but no.  I remember getting a bootleg around the time that Appetite really hit the stratosphere (remember, it wasn't a number 1 on day of release; it was a fairly slow burn) and there was a demo version of November Rain.  Two actually, one with the piano, and one more like Dream On with the piano arranged for guitar.   I remember thinking "WTF??"  Why isn't this on Appetite?   This is going to be LEGENDARY.   And it was.  It accumulated some bloat and bombast in the intervening years, but that arrangement, that vocal, that solo...  that's a legit, top tier song right there.   

hefdaddy42

Quote from: kingshmegland on September 15, 2016, 03:22:32 PM
I'm not saying they are grunge but they were the first band not to be hair metal and they were popular.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/426012445977565709/

That's the back of their first album.  I can see why some would group them with hair metal.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

Oh I'm not saying either but they were the first band to wear ripped jeans, t-shirts and flannels.  I'm not saying they were hair metal or grunge, they were their own in a time of hair metal.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Stadler on September 16, 2016, 06:29:17 AM
Quote from: TAC on September 15, 2016, 06:27:52 PM

Sorry, but no.  I remember getting a bootleg around the time that Appetite really hit the stratosphere (remember, it wasn't a number 1 on day of release; it was a fairly slow burn) and there was a demo version of November Rain.  Two actually, one with the piano, and one more like Dream On with the piano arranged for guitar.   I remember thinking "WTF??"  Why isn't this on Appetite?   This is going to be LEGENDARY.   And it was.  It accumulated some bloat and bombast in the intervening years, but that arrangement, that vocal, that solo...  that's a legit, top tier song right there.   

That song wouldn't have worked on AFD at all, so it was the right choice not to include it. But it works perfectly with the more produced over the top sound on UYI. I would have loved to hear You Could Be Mine on AFD though.

bl5150

Quote from: kingshmegland on September 16, 2016, 06:50:33 AM
Oh I'm not saying either but they were the first band to wear ripped jeans, t-shirts and flannels.  I'm not saying they were hair metal or grunge, they were their own in a time of hair metal.

I think they were just realistic and knew that they weren't pretty enough to go the usual hair metal style :lol

I was a Tesla fan from early on - totally obscure band in Australia and I never realised how big they were in the US until I wiki'd them a few years back and saw the chart positions etc...

Art

About Mastodon, yeah they are incredibly overrated. Okay band, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I don´t know if they have fans here, but i think QOTSA's last album, like Clockwork, was mediocre. Everybody seems to think it's amazing, but i don't see it. boring piano ballads, no good riffs...meh.

In fact, their last good record was Lullabies to Paralize (and it has it's bad moments). I think Nick Oliveri's influence and attitude is sorely missed.

And for the record: Kyuss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> QOTSA.

King Postwhore

Quote from: bl5150 on September 16, 2016, 06:56:14 AM

I think they were just realistic and knew that they weren't pretty enough to go the usual hair metal style :lol

I was a Tesla fan from early on - totally obscure band in Australia and I never realised how big they were in the US until I wiki'd them a few years back and saw the chart positions etc...

:lol

We played their first album all the time while playing tackle football.  Dumb early 20 something kids being manly with no damn pads to play. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

bosk1

Quote from: kingshmegland on September 16, 2016, 07:25:22 AM

We played their first album all the time while playing tackle football.  Dumb early 20 something kids being manly with no damn pads to play. 
And...there is a problem with that?

ReaperKK

Alex Lifeson's guest solo in Porcupine Trees Anesthetize is terrible. It's especially bad coming from a man who writes great solos.

King Postwhore

Quote from: bosk1 on September 16, 2016, 07:29:06 AM
Quote from: kingshmegland on September 16, 2016, 07:25:22 AM

And...there is a problem with that?

Not in my 20's.  Now, I would be in traction for a month.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: ReaperKK on September 16, 2016, 08:24:26 AM
Alex Lifeson's guest solo in Porcupine Trees Anesthetize is terrible. It's especially bad coming from a man who writes great solos.

I always forget he wrote a solo for the song. I think I know which one, but it sound so odd, that I forget it's him. I do love the song though.

ReaperKK

Sacul

A Moon Shaped Pool is Radiohead's best album since OK Computer.

Ben_Jamin

I find Deadhead by Devin Townsend overrated. It's pretty good, but the amount of love it gets astounds me.