Author Topic: List (and rank, if you wish) your DTF discoveries.  (Read 3690 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: List (and rank, if you wish) your DTF discoveries.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
A couple of bands that I somehow missed out on in my youth and which I was completely clueless about until rather recently:

Thin Lizzy
UFO

Thanks TAC!

Edit to add:

Alter Bridge (thanks Samsara!)
Creed
Alice in Chains
Coheed and Cambria
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:30:29 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
A couple of bands that I somehow missed out on in my youth and which I was completely clueless about until rather recently:

Thin Lizzy
UFO

Thanks TAC!

You are so welcome, my friend!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
Shit man, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I mean, if I include all the bands I found out about writing for Lady Obscure just because I met her here, we're looking at a couple hundred bands. If I was to give a quickie top 5 though it'd be....

1- Haken
2- Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson
3- TesseracT
4- Periphery
5- Nightwish

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
Pretty much the whole symphonic metal genre has been my biggest dtf.org discovery. It started with Nightwish, then went to Within Temptation, then Epica, and then on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 07:12:24 PM »
The Antlers' Hospice is one of the most emotional albums I've ever heard. It's indie rock/dream pop. I can't really compare it to anything because I don't listen to anything too similar.
Katatonia changed a few styles during their career. First is death/doom, second gothic, third alternative/progressive and their latest is probably the most progressive so far. I's not my favorite but I recommend you Viva Emptiness, it's pretty heavy album, between their gothic and progressive eras.

Cheers dude, I mentioned earlier that Spotify says they are similar to Beirut. Beirut aren't a bad band, not particularly my cup of tea but my girlfriend loves them so I've listened to a fair bit. You might like them.

I'll dive in somewhere with Katatonia at some point soon. Cheers for the recommendation  :tup

Missed the Katatonia shout out the first time through.

As a massive fan, I would concur with starting at Viva Emptiness. Then move your way forward. Viva is where Jonas really, truly found his voice and the band honed their 'new' sound.

The albums before are spotty and I really struggle with Jonas trying to figure out how to sing after he couldn't growl anymore. Side note, Mikael Akerfeldt handles almost all vocals on Brave Murder Day. It's all growl vocals except for some brief clean from Jonas.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
Ok, so I decided I could come up with a bit of a list, under some criteria - bands where I went out and bought most/all the discography (minimum 4 albums) after being introduced to them by DTF, and I'm still buying their output.

Avantasia
At Vance
Masterplan
Jorn
Evergrey
Royal Hunt
Brazen Abbott
Cloudscape
Primal Fear
Pretty Maids
Pyramaze
Secret Sphere
Vision Divine
Serenity
Axel Rudi Pell
House of Lords
Silent Force
Firewind
Nocturnal Rites
Redemption
Kamelot
Kingcrow
Theocracy
Pagan's Mind
Seventh Wonder
Section A
Threshold
Transatlantic
Frost*
Enchant
Iq
Mystery
Moon Safari
Presto Ballet
Subsignal

At a minimum of 4 albums each, that's minimum 144 albums right there.  Some have 8+ that I've bought, and there are easily a couple hundred bands I've got 1-2 albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 09:19:36 PM »
Presto Ballet

Saw them open for DT once in one of their club shows when they were opening for Maiden. Thought they were great!

Any from that list you would recommend to me based on my Roulette and our conversations that we haven't discussed otherwise?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »

Thin Lizzy
UFO

Thanks TAC!

You are so welcome, my friend!

And (on behalf of the boyz) you are welcome for Winger and Savatage  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »
Presto Ballet

Saw them open for DT once in one of their club shows when they were opening for Maiden. Thought they were great!

Any from that list you would recommend to me based on my Roulette and our conversations that we haven't discussed otherwise?

PM sent.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion