Panorama
0 (0%)
It's All I Can Do
3 (3.2%)
You Might Think
7 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: January 01, 2024, 07:11:23 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these songs by The Cars  (Read 1121 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorites of these songs by The Cars
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
You can vote for up to 7.

Magic
Drive
Moving in Stereo
Since You're Gone
Good Times Roll
Heartbeat City
Let's Go

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favorites of these songs by The Cars
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:39:25 PM »
Moving in Stereo
Tonight She Comes
Dangerous Type
I'm Not the One
Since You're Gone
You Might Think

Hurm... hate to be this guy but, (because they are two of my favorites) missing:

Bye Bye Love
All Mixed Up

Phoebe Cates' top 7 songs by The Cars:

Moving In Stereo
Moving In Stereo
Moving In Stereo
Moving In Stereo
Moving In Stereo
Moving In Stereo
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »
Hate The Cars. Voted for MiS solely on the basis of Phoebe Cates (despite preferring JJL by a huge margin).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:28:10 PM »
Let's Go
Shake It Up
Moving in Stereo
double Life
Candy-O
Since You've Gone
It's All I Can Do

One of my favorite bands ever.  I LOVE the Cars.  We had to go to the next town over to play hockey (no rink in my town) so we would carpool.  I always drove with our goalie, and he would only listen to The Cars, Squeeze, and Bob Seger; I don't care for Bob Seger that much, so The Cars and Squeeze it was.   "Candy-O" is one of the best records ever made, and the debut, Shake It Up, and Heartbeat City aren't far behind.   

All Mixed Up, though is my favorite Cars song; probably Ben Orr's best vocal (and he's got many good ones).  You also forgot the very underrated "Sad Song" from the last one, Move Like This.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »
Hate The Cars. Voted for MiS solely on the basis of Phoebe Cates (despite preferring JJL by a huge margin).

Pretty much this....except “hate” is a strong word.   Moving in Stereo is the only song from them I’ve ever heard that I honestly **LOVE** and will crank every time I get the chance.   I sorta like Drive and You Might Think, but every thing else Ive heard is a huge ball of meh....and I pretty much think the Cars are one of the most over rated bands in history.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »

Pretty much this....except “hate” is a strong word.   Moving in Stereo is the only song from them I’ve ever heard that I honestly **LOVE** and will crank every time I get the chance.   I sorta like Drive and You Might Think, but every thing else Ive heard is a huge ball of meh....and I pretty much think the Cars are one of the most over rated bands in history.

Oh man; I say "under-rated".  "Panorama" is really the only "miss" in the whole catalogue, and they had, for a New Wave band, uncommonly good singer (Orr), guitar player (Easton) and drummer (Robinson). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 10:34:11 PM »
Wow, I was expecting there to be more fans here.  I miscalculated this one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »
I'll vote a little later with a story to tell you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »
Bring it on.  :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »
Good Times Roll
Moving In Stereo
Dangerous Type
Just What I Needed
My Best Friend's Girl
It's All I Can Do (My Favorite Car's song)
You Might Think

OK, the story.  I think we all do this.  You hear a song and it always brings you back to a certain time in your life.  Every time I hear Just what I needed I think of going to Battleship Cove with my Dad in Fall River Massachusetts. the have USS MASSACHUSETTS BB59 | USS JOSEPH P. KENNEDY, JR. DD850 | USS LIONFISH SS298 | PT BOATS.  As a young boy my dad would let me control the radio on the ride and at the time, the Cars album came out.  I heard the song a few times there and back so whenever I hear it, it brings me back to this day with my Dad.  I will always cherish those moments.

https://battleshipcove.org/

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
Very cool. :tup :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
Good Times Roll
Shake It Up
Moving in Stereo
Drive
I'm Not the One
Since You're Gone
You Might Think

The Cars where huge when I first started going to bars regularly. Every bar band had at least two or three Cars songs in their set so my nostalgia for the music involves pitchers of beer, scantily clad females, wet T-shirt nights, and crowded dance floors. Let the good times roll, indeed.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 08:50:40 AM »
Good Times Roll
Moving In Stereo
Dangerous Type
Just What I Needed
My Best Friend's Girl
It's All I Can Do (My Favorite Car's song)
You Might Think

OK, the story.  I think we all do this.  You hear a song and it always brings you back to a certain time in your life.  Every time I hear Just what I needed I think of going to Battleship Cove with my Dad in Fall River Massachusetts. the have USS MASSACHUSETTS BB59 | USS JOSEPH P. KENNEDY, JR. DD850 | USS LIONFISH SS298 | PT BOATS.  As a young boy my dad would let me control the radio on the ride and at the time, the Cars album came out.  I heard the song a few times there and back so whenever I hear it, it brings me back to this day with my Dad.  I will always cherish those moments.

https://battleshipcove.org/

Aw... I love that.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »
Not sure why, but You Might Think has not aged that well for me. At the time, it was easily my favorite of the hits from Heartbeat City (although I liked Drive and Magic a lot as well at the time), and one of my favorite songs of 1984, a year loaded with great hits, but it's kind of an afterthought for me now. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
On a side note, I went and watched the Phoebe Cates scene as a result of this poll, the only reason I'd vote for any Cars song. I'd never noticed how expertly executed that scene is. Film editing obviously takes a backseat to the subject matter, but it was cut perfectly with the song, timing up with several musical cues. That was some damn fine work.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
On a side note, I went and watched the Phoebe Cates scene as a result of this poll, the only reason I'd vote for any Cars song. I'd never noticed how expertly executed that scene is. Film editing obviously takes a backseat to the subject matter, but it was cut perfectly with the song, timing up with several musical cues. That was some damn fine work.

And that brings me back to the memory of lotion and tissues.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
I thought for King to reply to this thread you would have had to title it "Your favorites of these songs by The Horseless Carriages."

Not sure why, but You Might Think has not aged that well for me.

That video was one of my earliest favorites from when I started watching MTV, but for me it is still a fun song that still feels fresh despite having that mid-80s sound.

I remember my parents had the 45 (that's a record, kids) of Drive and played it all the time, which made it hard for me to disassociate it from being a "old person" song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'