Author Topic: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band  (Read 53705 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2016, 09:52:04 AM »
No problem on my side.

As for me, I've always said that what MP did outside DT did not interest me, all the less so now that he's no longer in the band. Btw, the only solo thing I'm interested in is JLB's stuff.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #351 on: September 25, 2016, 09:58:17 AM »
I would agree that JLB's stuff is the best of the bunch.  I do like Jelly Jam but not passionately (very bummed they didn't come to the midwest on their tour).  Never been a fan of Jordan's or John's stuff with the exception of LTE.

I actually loved Mike's side projects before he left DT.  His post DT output has just never interested me much. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2016, 10:04:12 AM »
I like the first Mullmuzzler album, but I've had no interest in hearing any more of JLB's solo stuff.

Of Portnoy's three new "real" bands since leaving DT (meaning bands that actual record original material for studio albums, not live stuff like PSMS), I like one a lot (Flying Colors), think one totally sucked (Adrenaline Mob), and think the other is solid, but never feel like listening to them (The Booze Hounds :P).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: September 25, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Adrenaline Mob were laughable. Might as well have been called Midlife Crisis Mob.

I Know MP said he left because of scheduling conflicts but I think that was a lie and he realised just how bad they were.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #354 on: September 25, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
I didn't mind Adrenaline Mob, it wasn't great but I thought it had solid moments. Basically it was just as good as anything else in that style of music.

I loved the first Flying Colors, the second one was ok but a disappointment in comparison.

Winery Dogs did nothing for me, which is a shame because I think all three players are great.

For me Portnoy tends to be best when working with Neal Morse.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: September 25, 2016, 10:31:57 AM »
I thought Feel The Adrenaline - music video and lyrics were all super generic.

For the supposed pedigree involved it was staggering really.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #356 on: September 25, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »
I thought Feel The Adrenaline - music video and lyrics were all super generic.

For the supposed pedigree involved it was staggering really.

Was that the video where Russel Allen was being haunted by his shadow?  That was bad. 

So has anybody heard of the Make America Rock Again tour?  All these bands like Saliva, Drowning Pool, Saving Abel, Alien Ant Farm, Crazy Town and others had a mini festival.  It sold so poorly they were selling the best tickets for $10 bucks.  Between the 10 bands, I liked a total of 3 songs so I went. 

There was a little over 1000 people there in an arena that holds 9000. 

Adrenaline Mob would have fit in perfectly but the problem is, this style of music wasn't any more popular 6 years ago.  I just don't know what they were thinking. 

Also, I'm not saying this facetiously, AM would have been the 3rd best band there.  I kind of like Saliva and Saving Abel surprised the hell out me by how good their show was (still not a fan).  The rest were pretty terrible.  So yeah, Adrenaline Mob would actually be pretty decent if it were in that crowd. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: September 25, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
It was the video of the desert road and bikes or cars driving along it.

So terrible.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: September 25, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »
...the only solo thing I'm interested in is JLB's stuff.

A new page, a real discussion! I have no idea what people were arguing about on the last page.

I don't like the Mullmuzzler albums at all, but JLB's next three are great!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #359 on: September 25, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »
...the only solo thing I'm interested in is JLB's stuff.

A new page, a real discussion! I have no idea what people were arguing about on the last page.

What our favorite flavor of broccoli is.  Mine is cotton candy flavored broccoli.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #360 on: September 25, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
Adrenaline Mob were laughable. Might as well have been called Midlife Crisis Mob.

I Know MP said he left because of scheduling conflicts but I think that was a lie and he realised just how bad they were.

Actually, he was asked to leave.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: September 25, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
I don't remember that vignette of info.

Was he too "Press Release Happy" :P

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2016, 01:14:30 PM »

Unless you have some inside info nobody else has, every interview with various members including MP has said that he quit.  Mp was starting up the Winery Dogs and claimed scheduling conflicts though there is an interview on youtube somewhere where he is pretty noticeably apathetic, I don't know if frustrated is the right word, but not happy playing small clubs. 

I believe the interviewer asked him about how he gets a jersey from every city they play and Mike confesses that he doesn't really have quite the tour rider he had with Dream Theater. 

Later when asked why he quit he said that he invested a lot of his personal money in the band and it never took off which is pretty much a direct contradiction to the reason he gave about why he left but I think it is the more honest answer. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #363 on: September 25, 2016, 06:37:16 PM »
My god, just lock the thread already.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #364 on: September 25, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
Unless you have some inside info nobody else has, every interview with various members including MP has said that he quit.

That.

And DEFINITELY that! :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #365 on: September 26, 2016, 01:00:11 AM »

Unless you have some inside info nobody else has, every interview with various members including MP has said that he quit.  Mp was starting up the Winery Dogs and claimed scheduling conflicts though there is an interview on youtube somewhere where he is pretty noticeably apathetic, I don't know if frustrated is the right word, but not happy playing small clubs. 

There's always more to the story. All I can say is that my best friend, who works in the industry, used to live next door to one of the band members and still keeps in touch. Considering some of the details surrounding the situation, they're quite credible. Now, are there ancillary details? I'm sure of it. There always are.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #366 on: September 26, 2016, 02:20:31 AM »
Everyone seems to have a friend in the music industry.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #367 on: September 26, 2016, 04:52:15 AM »

There's always more to the story. All I can say is that my best friend, who works in the industry, used to live next door to one of the band members and still keeps in touch. Considering some of the details surrounding the situation, they're quite credible. Now, are there ancillary details? I'm sure of it. There always are.

So basically, you're saying that you have about as much insight as any of us randos on the forum. Cool.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #368 on: September 26, 2016, 04:53:17 AM »

So basically, you're saying that you "know a guy who knows a guy" and you have about as much insight as any of us randos on the forum. Not sure why you'd taunt that as some kind of special access. Those types of rumors are often the most false ones.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: September 26, 2016, 05:01:45 AM »
I know everything because Jesus is on my speed dial.

#7  :angel:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #370 on: September 26, 2016, 05:24:16 AM »

So basically, you're saying that you "know a guy who knows a guy" and you have about as much insight as any of us randos on the forum. Not sure why you'd taunt that as some kind of special access. Those types of rumors are often the most false ones.

Don't you mean flaunt?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: September 26, 2016, 08:55:25 AM »
I like the first Mullmuzzler album, but I've had no interest in hearing any more of JLB's solo stuff.

Of Portnoy's three new "real" bands since leaving DT (meaning bands that actual record original material for studio albums, not live stuff like PSMS), I like one a lot (Flying Colors), think one totally sucked (Adrenaline Mob), and think the other is solid, but never feel like listening to them (The Booze Hounds :P).

What about Winery Dogs?  I think they are the best of MPs work outside of DT.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #372 on: September 26, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »
I like the Winery Dogs, but IMO MP's collective works with Neal Morse (NM solo/Transatlantic/Flying Colors) are his best work outside of DT, and frankly a lot of it is better than a lot of his work with DT was.

Also, Kev, you need to check out JLB's solo albums post-Mullmuzzler.  Those are really good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #373 on: September 26, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »
I've had no interest in any of MP's post-DT projects. Winery Dogs was up my alley, but did nothing for me. MP alone isn't enough to get me interested in the rest.
JLB's solo albums are great though. I'll take Impermanent Resonance over probably the last 4 or 5 DT albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:52 AM »
Agreed about JLB's last two solo albums, really great stuff on them.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #375 on: September 26, 2016, 10:37:39 AM »
As far as JLB's solo stuff goes, excluding the 2 Mullmuzzler albums because I don't know them, I would say EoP > SI > IR, but that's just me (btw, 1 and 2 are 1 or 2 depending on my mood).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #376 on: September 26, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »

Booze Hounds = Winery Dogs. :biggrin: :lol

Also, Kev, you need to check out JLB's solo albums post-Mullmuzzler.  Those are really good.

What's the best one?  What songs stand out? 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: September 26, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »

Booze Hounds = Winery Dogs. :biggrin: :lol

:rollin right over my head, assumed that was some other MP band since Im not familiar with them all.

Online Mladen

« Reply #378 on: September 26, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
Kev, go with Static impulse. Tracks like Euphoric, Coming home and Superstar might get your attention.

As far as Mike's bands after Dream Theater are concerned, both Flying Colors albums are very good. I'm looking forward to what they might release next year.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #379 on: September 26, 2016, 11:35:36 AM »

All 3 albums are awesome from beginning to end.  I would get all 3 and listen to them chronologically.  You won't be disappointed.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »

All 3 albums are awesome from beginning to end.  I would get all 3 and listen to them chronologically.  You won't be disappointed.

While I find all 3 awesome as well, Static Impulse and Impermanent Resonance are with a different backing band and have a totally different sound than Elements of Persuasion.   If you don't like SI, you most likely won't like IR, but you still might like EoP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #381 on: September 26, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »

I didn't want to give this kind of comment, but it's fairly true.

Elements of Persuasion has one heck of a band, including Mike Mangini on drums, Matt Guillory on keys, and Marco Sfogli on guitar, and it's a prog metal album, emphasis on metal.  Songs mostly written by LaBrie and Guillory.  Standout tracks (for me) include Crucify, Invisible, and Lost.

Static Impulse saw a new bass player (Ray Riendeau) and new drummer (Pete Wildoer, who auditioned for DT along with Mangini, Minneman, etc).  The album has a touch of melodic death metal, with some harsh vocals supplied by Wildoer, but they still retain their prog metal feel and have a great energy.  Standouts (for me) include One More Time, Jekyll & Hyde, Misled, Euphoric, Over The Edge, Who You Think I Am, and Coming Home (so, most of the album lol).

Impermanent Resonance features the same band and same style as Static Impulse.  Standouts for me include Agony, Undertow, Holding On, Lost in the Fire, Amnesia, and I Will Not Break.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
Hef covered most of it. I wanted to point out that Agony is probably my favorite song that has JLB singing (as far as heavy songs go). Also, I found Elements of Persuasion to be a grower, but once it grew on me, it probably has more staying power than the other two albums. Those albums have GREAT hooks, though. All three are worth getting.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #383 on: September 26, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »

And DEFINITELY that! :lol

No wait!  The thread has taken a turn for the better with discussions of JLB's solo material.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #384 on: September 26, 2016, 02:50:01 PM »
I liked both Flying Colors albums. Not great but good. Neil Morse does some very good music. I loved the harmonies that he's capable of creating. But compared to DT, their "success story" is very little and for Portnoy, that is something probably difficult to see when you are use to bigger tours and crowds.
With all respect, sincerely yours