Author Topic: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band  (Read 53718 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2016, 10:14:30 AM »
I'd say TBOT is the most likely.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »
I can only imagine the things that will be analyzed depending on what he says during the actual performances. Didn't even think of that until just now. Going to need a mountain of  :chill

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »
I can only imagine the things that will be analyzed depending on what he says during the actual performances. Didn't even think of that until just now. Going to need a mountain of  :chill

Not only that, but the shitload that will befall DT on the part of those who will consider MP's band is doing a better job (the singer for instance) ; or the other way round, the shitload befalling MP....

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
Not only that, but the shitload that will befall DT on the part of those who will consider MP's band is doing a better job (the singer for instance)

Gah, I can see it now already. 30-40% of the people suggesting DT to replace James with whoever will be the singer. :facepalm:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2016, 11:37:53 AM »

Not only that, but the shitload that will befall DT on the part of those who will consider MP's band is doing a better job (the singer for instance) ; or the other way round, the shitload befalling MP....

B.Lee

Agreed, prepare for all of the childish BS that lies ahead.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »
Prepare? It's already happening in this thread.  :mehlin
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2016, 02:27:12 PM »

Gah, I can see it now already. 30-40% of the people suggesting DT to replace James with whoever will be the singer. :facepalm:

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »
I'll be very (though pleasantly) surprised if The Best of Times gets played, mainly because a large part of the love for that song seems to be due to Petrucci's incredible solo. Having to listen to 10 minutes of a song just to get to someone else playing that solo seems, I dunno, a little weird to me. To my mind there are far better Portnoy-written tracks which would suit this kind of event better.

As for the above discussion of MP's online shenanigans - I'm one of his devoted 'fanboys' over on his forum, and while I agree that he could sometimes exercise better judgement in how he expresses things, I do think his heart is almost always in the right place (the only times he's totally crossed the line was his outburst at the English hospital and his disgraceful treatment of the young 'drum tech' guy in Manila). He has a huge ego (that's not necessarily a criticism, it's a part of what got DT off the ground), and the bigger the ego the more fragile it is. I get the impression he is still raw about a) DT not putting up a fight to keep him when he gave them his ultimatum, and b) his perception that his importance to the band has been forgotten. I think he sometimes struggles with the reality that other people don't see him as he sees himself.

But despite that, he has far more good qualities than 'bad'. He gets a shit tonne of abuse online (yes, some of it warranted perhaps) and it's to his credit that he seems able to let most of it go. He's an absolutely exceptional live performer, mesmerising to watch, and he does go out of his way to give fans what he believes they want (the rotating sets, the Ytsejam releases, his behaviour at the meet and greets, which in my experience has always been great). I'm happy Mangini is in DT now, I don't want MP to go back (because I love the new incarnation of DT much more than 2005-2009 DT), but I still support what Portnoy is doing because he's a superb drummer and his bands make great music.         
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:36:10 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2016, 06:34:24 PM »
I wouldn't expect The Best of Times. He said back at the time that it would be too tough to play live, for obvious reasons, so I can't imagine it being any different now.  And yeah, while I am sure there are plenty of guys who can play that solo, someone not named John Petrucci playing it live would just seem odd.  Then again, Roger Waters has had others play the Comfortably Numb solo live, and Portnoy inexplicably views himself as similar to him, so anything is possible.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »
I remember reading an interview from Portnoy while he was still in the band saying he intended on playing TBOT but the 2009 leg was just too soon.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:35:32 PM by Mosh »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
I hope he plays Wither and throws everyone off.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:37:05 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #326 on: September 23, 2016, 08:33:01 PM »
Bah, he edited it! Never mind.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:39:05 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #327 on: September 23, 2016, 10:35:51 PM »
Just MP and a piano.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #328 on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:57 PM »
Nobody ever said he doesn't. 
Not directly, but by their actions - specifically the way they pounce on and critique every little thing that the man posts - they are saying so indirectly.

Again, no.  Just no.  You're being hysterical and not making any sense. 

Kotowboy does not pounce on "every little thing" Portnoy posts and neither does anybody else.

I decided to check out what Portnoy has posted and nobody has criticized him for posting movie reviews.  Did Kotow criticize him for this Winery Dogs drum kit tour?  Nope.  His post about going to something called Rockfest or shooting a Neal Morse video?  Of course nobody did. 

The only thing that gets brought up around here is Dream Theater related because this is still a Dream Theater message board and it is often because Mike Portnoy makes himself a target with his capitalization habits and passive aggressive behavior. 
Calm down, pal.  Scotty isn't wrong.

Pretty sure that when he says some people pounce on "everything" MP posts, the "DT-related" is implied and understood.  Obviously, the man has a life and posts about other stuff that isn't DT-related.

The only thing that gets brought up around here is Dream Theater related because this is still a Dream Theater message board
That's exactly right, which is exactly what Scotty is talking about.

Are you accusing me of taking Scotty out of context by quoting him verbatim?  :rollin

Even if he was talking about only things DT related (which he clearly was not), there are tons of things Portnoy posts about DT that nobody pounces on.  Scotty is wrong.  You guys really need to cut it out with the hysterics, pal. 

I wouldn't expect The Best of Times. He said back at the time that it would be too tough to play live, for obvious reasons, so I can't imagine it being any different now.  And yeah, while I am sure there are plenty of guys who can play that solo, someone not named John Petrucci playing it live would just seem odd.  Then again, Roger Waters has had others play the Comfortably Numb solo live, and Portnoy inexplicably views himself as similar to him, so anything is possible.

I'm sure it would be difficult but what better time to honor his father than his 50th bday party.  He has always said he wants to play it live so I can't imagine a better opportunity short of a DT reunion.  It would be sort of an odd fit with a set mainly comprised of the 12SS, though. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2016, 03:40:37 AM »
Roger Waters has had others play the Comfortably Numb solo live, and Portnoy inexplicably views himself as similar to him, so anything is possible.
That was a very big statement by Mike, I thought. I guess you could stretch it out if we're talking about the more collaborative Floyd stuff, but certainly not The Wall or other primarily Waters penned songs. Waters is a singer, instrumentalist and composer of the melody (as opposed to composer of the drum parts).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #330 on: September 24, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »

Are you accusing me of taking Scotty out of context by quoting him verbatim?  :rollin

Even if he was talking about only things DT related (which he clearly was not), there are tons of things Portnoy posts about DT that nobody pounces on.  Scotty is wrong.  You guys really need to cut it out with the hysterics, pal. 

Agreed.

Just MP and a piano.

Roger Waters has had others play the Comfortably Numb solo live, and Portnoy inexplicably views himself as similar to him, so anything is possible.
That was a very big statement by Mike, I thought. I guess you could stretch it out if we're talking about the more collaborative Floyd stuff, but certainly not The Wall or other primarily Waters penned songs. Waters is a singer, instrumentalist and composer of the melody (as opposed to composer of the drum parts).

I suspect he likes to compare himself to Waters because they were/are both major control freaks who like(d) to run the show, but for all of his faults, Portnoy was never a complete dick like Waters (who just looked like a miserable guy for decades), so he might not be the best person to compare yourself to.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2016, 07:53:49 AM »
As much as I love Waters, that's a good point. He had his share of bitter moments and still seems to be figuring some of that stuff out, even though he's mellowed out over the years.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2016, 08:19:01 AM »
 :metal

Offline NotePad

« Reply #333 on: September 24, 2016, 09:30:33 AM »
I think it would be awesome if he made this his new band and put out new albums. This is clearly the type of music he was meant for. And it's understandable that he's doing this show, he was an original member many many years and wrote the music. He's allowed to perform the songs again live.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: September 24, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »
Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress

presents

Lyrics & Images

1. Undertow
2. Tomorrow
3. Wait a while
4. In The Middle
5. Cityscape Part 1.
6. Fragile Eclipse
7. Insomnia
8. Life is Hard.

" With this new band and album I am finally over Dream Theater ! : ) "

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #335 on: September 24, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
Alternatively, A Dramatic Turn of Events pt 2.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: September 24, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »
Thats's The Joke ! :neverusethis: :blob:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #337 on: September 24, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »
I think it would be awesome if he made this his new band and put out new albums. This is clearly the type of music he was meant for. And it's understandable that he's doing this show, he was an original member many many years and wrote the music. He's allowed to perform the songs again live.

I really hope he doesn't. A band that will inevitably live under DT's shadow in every possible way? Doesn't sound that good to me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #338 on: September 24, 2016, 11:18:12 AM »

I really hope he doesn't. A band that will inevitably live under DT's shadow in every possible way? Doesn't sound that good to me.

That would definitely create a lot of tension and I think it would ultimately lead to more strife because theres no way it could match the popularity of Dream Theater, but out of all of his post DT projects, this is about the only thing that interests me. 

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #339 on: September 24, 2016, 12:15:03 PM »

That would definitely create a lot of tension and I think it would ultimately lead to more strife because theres no way it could match the popularity of Dream Theater, but out of all of his post DT projects, this is about the only thing that interests me.
His stuff with Neal and Colors is pretty great stuff. I like TWD too, but that's more rock, really.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #340 on: September 24, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »

His stuff with Neal and Colors is pretty great stuff. I like TWD too, but that's more rock, really.

Really can't get into Neal's voice and I really haven't given Flying Colors much of a chance but what I've heard hasn't interested me.  My buddy who is a pretty big Portnoy critic thinks the latest Transatlantic is a masterpiece but I just couldn't get into it. 

I was kind of interested in the Metal Allegiance album but again, what I heard just didn't catch me.  I finally got PSMS a while back and actually kinda dig that for what it is.  I would definitely buy a studio album from them. 

I will say this though...I don't have a whole lot of confidence that MP's SF is going to be mindblowingly good, but if they release an album of the live performance I will definitely buy a copy. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #341 on: September 24, 2016, 12:53:37 PM »
Your buddy is on a small island, since it seems like most agreed that the last Transatlantic album, while good, wasn't nearly as great as the first three.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: September 24, 2016, 04:06:05 PM »
I wonder if he'll take the opportunity to perform TBOT? I'm not sure it would fit such an event or be way too long, but it seems like something MP would want to perform at some point as a tribute. I'd definitely expect to hear The Mirror (because it's a good mid length straight up metal song, not because it has anything to do with the 12SS). Out of the rest of the songs he wrote lyrics for, there are many contenders.

I think this would be the best time for him to play it honestly. His birthday along with other DT songs, sounds like the perfect venue.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #343 on: September 24, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
Not directly, but by their actions - specifically the way they pounce on and critique every little thing that the man posts - they are saying so indirectly.

Kotowboy does not pounce on "every little thing" Portnoy posts and neither does anybody else.

I decided to check out what Portnoy has posted and nobody has criticized him for posting movie reviews.  Did Kotow criticize him for this Winery Dogs drum kit tour?  Nope.  His post about going to something called Rockfest or shooting a Neal Morse video?  Of course nobody did. 

The only thing that gets brought up around here is Dream Theater related because this is still a Dream Theater message board and it is often because Mike Portnoy makes himself a target with his capitalization habits and passive aggressive behavior. 

Pretty sure that when he says some people pounce on "everything" MP posts, the "DT-related" is implied and understood.  Obviously, the man has a life and posts about other stuff that isn't DT-related.

The only thing that gets brought up around here is Dream Theater related because this is still a Dream Theater message board

Actually hef hit the nail on the head, which is why I didn't feel the need to respond further. Sorry that I needed to spell out specifically that I was referring to his DT posts. I thought it was obvious enough, but apparently not. I think it's a given that just about no one on this board cares much about anything else that he posts and therefore no one's gonna take any issues with or pick apart any of those posts.

Nonetheless, I stand by what I said. Feel free to disagree, but there's been plenty of evidence in the past, and even you acknowledged as much in your post as hef addressed. It's a fact that whenever he says anything related to DT, there's people on this board trying to pick apart everything little he says - kinda like what you did to my comments above. :P  And cutting out the hysterics? Pot. Kettle. Black.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #344 on: September 24, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Actually, more often than not, one doesn't have to "pick apart what he says," because he usually posts things in such a direct manner that Helen Keller could read his posts and figure out what he means without much trouble.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #345 on: September 24, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »
Z
Actually, more often than not, one doesn't have to "pick apart what he says," because he usually posts things in such a direct manner that Helen Keller could read his posts and figure out what he means without much trouble.
and yet people still do it. :p

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #346 on: September 24, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »

Actually hef hit the nail on the head, which is why I didn't feel the need to respond further. Sorry that I needed to spell out specifically that I was referring to his DT posts. I thought it was obvious enough, but apparently not. I think it's a given that just about no one on this board cares much about anything else that he posts and therefore no one's gonna take any issues with or pick apart any of those posts.

Nonetheless, I stand by what I said. Feel free to disagree, but there's been plenty of evidence in the past, and even you acknowledged as much in your post as hef addressed. It's a fact that whenever he says anything related to DT, there's people on this board trying to pick apart everything little he says - kinda like what you did to my comments above. :P  And cutting out the hysterics? Pot. Kettle. Black.

:lol

Putting yourself on a pedestal with Portnoy now?

If there is plenty of evidence, then instead of sitting up there on that pedestal you've put yourself on, try actually proving it.  Your idea of picking something apart is simply having a discussion, often times constructive, that is of course until someone like you comes in and, yes, hysterically screams

We get it.  You're friends with him.  He's given you free stuff.  You can still be objective.  It'll take a little effort, but I believe in you. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2016, 05:53:20 AM »
If there is plenty of evidence, then instead of sitting up there on that pedestal you've put yourself on, try actually proving it. 
Look, I still stand by my point, and I know there are several others here that know I'm not making stuff up. Seeing as I don't have the time, and I'm so clearly wrong, how about you prove your point, since it'll obviously be a piece of cake to prove it, no?

Thanks for proving my point about hysterics.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #348 on: September 25, 2016, 05:58:40 AM »
I'm not a mod, guys, but could you keep this for PM, because, and apparently noone has read my post up the page, this is turning into a personal feud again? You will both stand your ground, we get it. Now, don't take us in this, please. Thanks.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »
If there is plenty of evidence, then instead of sitting up there on that pedestal you've put yourself on, try actually proving it. 
Look, I still stand by my point, and I know there are several others here that know I'm not making stuff up. Seeing as I don't have the time, and I'm so clearly wrong, how about you prove your point, since it'll obviously be a piece of cake to prove it, no?

::)

Oh, brother....

I already did.  You'll just keep deflecting the blame or any type of constructive discussion.  Typical for you to want others to do the work.  I'll just accept this as the white flag...until next time when you feel your boy is being picked on.

Thanks for proving my point about hysterics.  ;)

Haha, if the shoe fits...or should I borrow a quote you tend to "borrow", "I call it like I see it."

I'm not a mod, guys, but could you keep this for PM, because, and apparently noone has read my post up the page, this is turning into a personal feud again? You will both stand your ground, we get it. Now, don't take us in this, please. Thanks.

B.Lee

Sorry, this stuff has gone on too long and needed to be addressed.  When one side never wants to constructively contribute, it does tend to deflect from the topic at hand but I did respond to your comment, just not directly. 

I do see this new project as causing a lot of strife but I do honestly feel that Mike has every right to do it and I'm actually moderately interested. 

While I think comparing himself to Roger Waters may be a bit much, I get what he is saying.  It's no different than when Halford went solo and played some Judas Priest.  Sadly, people couldn't enjoy both bands without the comparison and it led many fans to saying things like, "Halford is more Judas Priest than Priest is!"  People started saying Pat Lachman was better than Glenn Tipton.  Lachman was great, no doubt, but he was no Glenn Tipton.  On that same token, Ripper was great but no Halford.  Then again, Tipton was no Lachman and Halford was no Ripper.  I loved both bands but it wasnt even fun discussing it at the time because both side, (well...more the Halford diehards) were so insufferable in their opinions. 
I get it man, and I responded, just not directly.