Author Topic: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band  (Read 53628 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »
The man speaks on FB.

"Very excited to see all of the great feedback upon the announcement of my Shattered Fortress appearance at Prog Power 2017!

To answer a few questions I've been seeing:

• This is not "a new band or project", it is "an EVENT" that will be making several select live appearances in select markets throughout 2017

• The lineup of musicians joining me for these shows will not be announced prior to our live debut at my 50th Birthday Concert on Cruise To The Edge...
I want that to remain a surprise until our unveiling

• The setlist at these shows will be comprised of the 12 Step Suite and (time permitting at certain shows) other Dream Theater songs that I've written the lyrics to

Keep in mind, I have no plans (or interest) in revisiting DT material in any of my other "real" bands...this is not an ongoing "project" or career move...this is merely a unique event that I am doing in select markets in 2017 to share with fans around the world...so catch it while you can!!"

Well, this makes it way clear.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
Keep in mind, I have no plans (or interest) in revisiting DT material in any of my other "real" bands...this is not an ongoing "project" or career move...this is merely a unique event that I am doing in select markets in 2017 to share with fans around the world...so catch it while you can!!"

That's cool, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a project he toured with, glad to hear he's having fun with this and treating it as an event that'll happen maybe a few times.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2016, 01:25:38 PM »
I would have assumed that none of that would have needed explaining.  Kind of sad that it apparently did.

Now, what we should be doing is speculating about the set list.  :neverusethis:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
Cool. I suppose A Change of Seasons is a strong possibility, maybe The Best of Times?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »
Yup, those would be my first two guesses. Also The Mirror and Constant Motion could be in...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Art

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »
Honor Thy Father?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
Cool. I suppose A Change of Seasons is a strong possibility, maybe The Best of Times?

I can't imagine "time permitting" and acos go hand in hand.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2016, 01:42:37 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Portnoy reconciled with his step father (subject of HTF) and doesn't connect with those lyrics anymore. With that in mind, I can't see him playing it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »
I'd go with ACoS and maybe TBoT.

Honor Thy Father?
Highly doubtful given the fact that he's patched things up with his stepfather (the inspiration for the song). You'll notice that it wasn't in any of the setlists after summer of 2007, and I'm almost 100% certain that's the reason why. In fact, I remember seeing his stepfather leaving the dressing room after the 2007 Jones Beach show - had there still been bad blood between them, I can't imagine that would've happened.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Art

« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »
I didn´t know about him patching up with his stepfather. While it´s a good thing for him, i like the song and would love it to be on the set.  :biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
Depending  on the lineup,  this could turn out pretty bad ass.  I don't wanna say I want this to go on tour (if it lives up to hype),  but I'd love a chance to see  this. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
A Change of Seasons, The Best of Times, and Home would be the three songs that I hope they play. I would expect The Mirror, Burning My Soul, and Constant Motion. Maybe New Millennium and War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All. I'm guessing no Honor Thy Father or Never Enough and I'm also gonna say songs that he partially wrote the lyrics to are out as well so no Take the Time, Octavarium, or A Rite of Passage. Everything else I'm not sure about. One question though: what's the possibility that they play an instrumental?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
"Of course, I would've liked to have done it w DT, but I can't wait around for a reunion that they seem to have no interest in...
Life is short, Carpe Diem!"

MP on Facebook

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2016, 02:44:29 PM »
Depending  on the lineup,  this could turn out pretty bad ass.  I don't wanna say I want this to go on tour (if it lives up to hype),  but I'd love a chance to see  this.

Don't worry there will be a double Blu Ray package for $25

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
"Of course, I would've liked to have done it w DT, but I can't wait around for a reunion that they seem to have no interest in...

MP on Facebook

Oh For Fucks Sake :facepalm:

NOTHING about this says " I'm over DT " like he keeps claiming.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »
I'm also gonna say songs that he partially wrote the lyrics to are out as well so no Take the Time, Octavarium, or A Rite of Passage.

Why do you think so?  As soon as I saw his post, the first thing I thought was, "I bet he might throw Take The Time in there."

MP on Facebook

Well, of course it was only a matter of time before he failed to restrain himself from making dumb passive aggressive comments about his former band.  Sadly, that's a given nowadays.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:00:12 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »

MP on Facebook

I'm not on Facebook, but am guessing this was a direct response to a fan? If so, I really have no problem with this particular statement despite the fact that half of my posts in this thread (and probably in other threads) are more or less at Mike's expense. Pretty benign stuff unless it came out of nowhere and not as a reply to a direct inquiry.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »

MP on Facebook

Was this out of the blue - or was it in reply to a fan ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
Even if it was in response to a fan, there is no need for "I can't wait around for a reunion that they seem to have no interest in..."  Once again, poor form.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »

MP on Facebook

"Marc Walsh MY FUCKING GOD!

I have been waiting for and anticipating this moment since the suite was completed!
Like · Reply · 36 · 2 hrs

Mike Portnoy
Mike Portnoy So have I! : )
Of course, I would've liked to have done it w DT, but I can't wait around for a reunion that they seem to have no interest in...
Life is short, Carpe Diem!
Like · Reply · 275 · 2 hrs"

I don't see anything wrong with what MP said though. He's just stating facts. The DT guys have no interest in a reunion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »

Appropriate  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:49:33 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2016, 03:59:34 PM »

MP on Facebook

"Marc Walsh MY FUCKING GOD!

I have been waiting for and anticipating this moment since the suite was completed!
Like · Reply · 36 · 2 hrs

Mike Portnoy
Mike Portnoy So have I! : )
Of course, I would've liked to have done it w DT, but I can't wait around for a reunion that they seem to have no interest in...
Life is short, Carpe Diem!
Like · Reply · 275 · 2 hrs"

I don't see anything wrong with what MP said though. He's just stating facts. The DT guys have no interest in a reunion.

The context changes my opinion on this... The fan didn't bring up DT, Mike did. I was naive to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2016, 04:10:43 PM »
• This is not "a new band or project", it is "an EVENT" that will be making several select live appearances in select markets throughout 2017

Ok then, so it's a completely wasted oppurtunity to create some healthy creative competition with his former bandmates (IMO at least).

Appropriate  :biggrin:

Definitely. I do sometimes feel a bit sorry for MP though. DT was a strong and secure place to be that requires a ton of time and dedication and MP clearly got burned out on that due to having around 3 side projects at the same time. He never really had a place with as much creative control or as much impact as DT. I think I can forgive him for the occasional leaking of bitterness for that. Having said that, I haven't really listened to some of his side projects like Flying Colors, Transatlantic, Neal Morse Solo/Band, Winery Dogs (BTW, can someone tell me how those acts compare to the DT of the last decade, quality and style wise?).

Offline Mosh

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2016, 05:49:10 PM »
I'm also gonna say songs that he partially wrote the lyrics to are out as well so no Take the Time, Octavarium, or A Rite of Passage.

Why do you think so?  As soon as I saw his post, the first thing I thought was, "I bet he might throw Take The Time in there."
Well MP loves medleys, I think it's more likely that he includes his part of Take the Time in some sort of medley. This is supposed to be a career spanning thing, so maybe he does a big medley of the major projects he's been involved with.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »

MP on Facebook

I'm not on Facebook, but am guessing this was a direct response to a fan? If so, I really have no problem with this particular statement despite the fact that half of my posts in this thread (and probably in other threads) are more or less at Mike's expense. Pretty benign stuff unless it came out of nowhere and not as a reply to a direct inquiry.
It's not what he says, it's HOW he says it. He could've easily avoided mentioning DT has no interest in a reunion, but he just can't resist. His response could've been something like:
"Of course, I would've liked to have done it w DT, but this is gonna kick ass nevertheless!"

That would've made a big, big difference in how his message is perceived. The thing is he's never gonna stop taking passive aggressive poke shots against DT because that makes his diehard fans go all like: YOU'RE THE BEST MP! YOU DON'T NEED DT! THEY SUCK NOW LOL THE ASLOLNISHING INDONESIA SOON; and because his approach is to be transparent and sincere in his social media. Well, his way of behaving in social media isn't the best and most of the criticism he has gotten in the past few years comes mostly from his online persona (and I don think that's very debatable). When have you read or heard JP or JR mention Mike Portnoy in their posts/interviews? Aside from the usual 'MP was amazing, but now we have MM who is amazing as well'. He could learn a thing or two from them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:03:43 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »
It's disappointing that he brought it up without being prompted. Most of the time you can at least say that he's not the one who is bringing up DT, it's fans/interviewers. This time that isn't the case.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:57 PM »
Regarding the 12 step suite, I would love if he "reduxed" the thing to make it more concise. I once listened to it in regular form, and I felt there was too much revisiting going on. That was of course fine and necessary when the songs came out and people were "reminded" of the previous albums' songs, but when you just heard the thing a few minutes ago, this "Last time on Star Trek The Next Generation..." thing became distracting.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
Regarding the 12 step suite, I would love if he "reduxed" the thing to make it more concise. I once listened to it in regular form, and I felt there was too much revisiting going on. That was of course fine and necessary when the songs came out and people were "reminded" of the previous albums' songs, but when you just heard the thing a few minutes ago, this "Last time on Star Trek The Next Generation..." thing became distracting.

How about if, every time they repeated a riff, MP would growl "LAST TIME ON STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION!!! RAWRRR!!!"?

I'd be down for that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines, that the whole thing should be condensed a bit. My main beef with the 12 Step Suite is that The Root Of All Evil is totally out of place in context. They were clever with the key changes and slowly bringing it back to the home key by The Shattered Fortress, but the actual song itself just makes the whole thing feel a bit disjointed. It would've been better as a 4 parter IMO.

That being said, he should perform it as it was originally written at least once. Unfortunately this isn't the sort of thing you can make adjustments to over time after repeated live performances.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2016, 11:48:32 PM »
I fail to see how this is a "Cover Band."

He's performing songs he wrote and recorded.

It's not any different than Roger Waters performing The Wall, or any other of his songs he wrote with Pink Floyd. That's not a "cover band."

Bob Weir and Phil Lesh performing songs they wrote and performed with The Grateful Dead in Ratdog, Scaring The Children, or any other of their side projects aren't considered "cover bands."

I think calling it a cover band is nothing but an insult.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

Of course, half of you will just say I'm standing up for MP because I worked for him for so long.
Not the case.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2016, 03:26:08 AM »

Definitely. I do sometimes feel a bit sorry for MP though. DT was a strong and secure place to be that requires a ton of time and dedication and MP clearly got burned out on that due to having around 3 side projects at the same time. He never really had a place with as much creative control or as much impact as DT. I think I can forgive him for the occasional leaking of bitterness for that. Having said that, I haven't really listened to some of his side projects like Flying Colors, Transatlantic, Neal Morse Solo/Band, Winery Dogs (BTW, can someone tell me how those acts compare to the DT of the last decade, quality and style wise?).

In my opinion, most of them are more or less on par with DT of the last decade quality-wise, but the drum mix is much better on all of them than the last 3 DT albums.

Transatlantic is the project I consider truly on par with DT and in terms of style is the most similar. There is just less metal than DT, but they still get quite heavy at times.

The Winery Dogs would be my next favourite. That second album is fire from beginning to end. Style-wise they can still be considered progressive rock but much less experimental. No long instrumental sections here. Think more accessible prog. probably a good starting place for people new to the genre.

Neal Morse band is also awesome and arrangement-wise can be quite similar to Transatlantic, which isn't surprising since both bands share MP and Neal. Still proggy but less so from what I've heard. Although the Long Day/Overture track they just released from the upcoming album 'Similitude of a Dream' sounds absolutely stunning and reminds me of Octavarium so far from a production and arrangement/compositional perspective.

As far as Neal Morse's solo stuff that Mike has played on I can't really discuss coz I've only heard a couple of songs, sorry.

Metal Allegiance is self explanatory once you've heard one song. It's straight up metal. Nothing like DT at all. Still enjoyable at times though if you just want to rock along.

I haven't really delved deep into Flying Colors or Adrenaline Mob but that's mainly because when I tried I didn't really enjoy what I heard, so make of that what you will based on what I've said about the rest.
Quality seems pretty good though and in terms of style Flying Colors is almost soft/mainstream rock whilst Adrenaline Mob is well, more just metal and probably is the least quality of them all from what I've listened to.
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2016, 03:28:24 AM »
About the suite, I don't think that The Root of All Evil is out of place, if at all I agree that once you hear it in a row the "oh, cool, I remember this refrain" that happened every 2 years with each new album is not so great.

What I'm curious is how the Repentence > Shattered Fortress transition will go. The other ones are pretty obvious; Glass Prison / Dying soul we've heard it live, Dying Soul will go straight into Root of All Evil when you cut out the whole intro of the latter, and the end of Root flows nicely into the beginning of Repentance, but how Mike intended the last transition to work?

Live you can't obviously do the fade-in, so what would happen after "The truth is the truth and all you can do is to learn to live with it"? Shattered Fortress starts the way DT performed it live with the whole intro? when I did my own mix of the suite I skipped alltogether the whole 2 minute intro and went straight into the beginning of the fast part, it's a nice punch coming in after the very end of Repentance.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2016, 03:57:17 AM »

In my opinion, most of them are more or less on par with DT of the last decade quality-wise, but the drum mix is much better on all of them than the last 3 DT albums.

Transatlantic is the project I consider truly on par with DT and in terms of style is the most similar. There is just less metal than DT, but they still get quite heavy at times.

The Winery Dogs would be my next favourite. That second album is fire from beginning to end. Style-wise they can still be considered progressive rock but much less experimental. No long instrumental sections here. Think more accessible prog. probably a good starting place for people new to the genre.

Neal Morse band is also awesome and arrangement-wise can be quite similar to Transatlantic, which isn't surprising since both bands share MP and Neal. Still proggy but less so from what I've heard. Although the Long Day/Overture track they just released from the upcoming album 'Similitude of a Dream' sounds absolutely stunning and reminds me of Octavarium so far from a production and arrangement/compositional perspective.

As far as Neal Morse's solo stuff that Mike has played on I can't really discuss coz I've only heard a couple of songs, sorry.

Metal Allegiance is self explanatory once you've heard one song. It's straight up metal. Nothing like DT at all. Still enjoyable at times though if you just want to rock along.

I haven't really delved deep into Flying Colors or Adrenaline Mob but that's mainly because when I tried I didn't really enjoy what I heard, so make of that what you will based on what I've said about the rest.
Quality seems pretty good though and in terms of style Flying Colors is almost soft/mainstream rock whilst Adrenaline Mob is well, more just metal and probably is the least quality of them all from what I've listened to.

Cool. Thanks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:15 AM »

He's performing songs he wrote and recorded.

It's not any different than Roger Waters performing The Wall, or any other of his songs he wrote with Pink Floyd. That's not a "cover band."

Bob Weir and Phil Lesh performing songs they wrote and performed with The Grateful Dead in Ratdog, Scaring The Children, or any other of their side projects aren't considered "cover bands."

I think calling it a cover band is nothing but an insult.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

Of course, half of you will just say I'm standing up for MP because I worked for him for so long.
Not the case.

You know, I saw the OP and it didn't even hit me that MP would never have called it a cover band.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »

He's performing songs he wrote the lyrics for and recorded.

Fixed that for me. But it is a cover band, even if Mike was crucial to this whole suite of songs. And it's not the same with Roger Waters because he also wrote music, not only lyrics and arrangements.