Author Topic: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band  (Read 53306 times)

Offline WheyWaffles

Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress will be headlining Friday night of ProgPower USA 2017.

So is this the best music-related news you've heard all year, or is it something else?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »
Should be cool to see them play some songs from The Astonishing.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
I wonder if Mike will shave his beard and dress up like DT's drummer for the sake of authenticity?

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:33:58 PM »
I wonder if Mike will shave his beard and dress up like DT's drummer for the sake of authenticity?
But can he mime the super happy :D smiles.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 11:46:27 PM »
They have a year to perfect the songs. One wrong note and there will be hell to pay!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:29:42 AM »
I don't think he considers anything recorded past BCSL as "Dream Theater", guys.  ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 03:34:45 AM »
I don't think he considers anything recorded past BCSL as "Dream Theater", guys.  ;D

At this point, I'd be pretty ok with that assertion. Not that post-MP DT is relevant to this project.
I can't wait to finally hear the 12SS complete, although I do have my doubts of a put together band doing it justice on any instrument (drums aside obviously, and possibly vocals).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 03:39:09 AM »
Besides, if he indeed played something from ADToE, DT12 or TA, he would need the bands' authorization.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:08 AM »
I don't think he would, but again, totally irrelevant here. Of course he wouldn't play post-MP material. It would make zero sense for him.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:14:01 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:55:35 AM »
Besides, if he indeed played something from ADToE, DT12 or TA, he would need the bands' authorization.
I don't know much of the legalities about this matter, but how is it any different than any instance of Dream Theater covering any kind of band? Or alternatively, did Dream Theater go ahead and get legal permission to cover Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Metallica, King Crimson etc?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:03:45 AM »
I don't know much of the legalities about this matter, but how is it any different than any instance of Dream Theater covering any kind of band? Or alternatively, did Dream Theater go ahead and get legal permission to cover Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Metallica, King Crimson etc?
I don't know much about the legalities either, but I think you need the bands' approval otherwise they can sue you for copyright infringement. I'm not sure though.

Is he using this band only to celebrate his birthday or he will keep playing with them?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 04:10:37 AM »
So the fortress is a metaphor for MP's hopes of ever joining DT again, right? :vomitard:

I wonder how the remaining DT members feel. If this became a touring band, would they see it as MP's attempt to compete with them?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 04:17:13 AM »
They have a year to perfect the songs. One wrong note and there will be hell to pay!

:getoffmylawn: I'll tear down the city stone by stone !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 04:18:47 AM »
I don't know much about the legalities either, but I think you need the bands' approval otherwise they can sue you for copyright infringement. I'm not sure though.

Is he using this band only to celebrate his birthday or he will keep playing with them?

You don't require any permission at all to play someone else's song live. It's up to the venue to pay for the PRS.

Assuming the venue already has a PRS licence / certificate - it just goes out of their subscription.

I believe it's up to the venue to inform PRS what songs were played.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 04:20:01 AM »

:getoffmylawn: I'll tear down the city stone by stone !

You only have three days one year!

HAHA HAHAHA

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 04:22:15 AM »
I'll never play this game.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 08:20:16 AM »
ChuckSteak, I command you to access your funny bone.  King's order.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 08:25:15 AM »
With all due respect to MP, this really seems desperate.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Mike and have always been rooting for his success since he left the band.  To me it just looks like he couldn't get any traction with all his projects so he's just resorted to reliving the past with his time in DT.

Now, if this is just a way to do the 12-step suite or celebrate his 50th birthday and is intended to be a limited time thing, then I'm ok with it.

A lot would depend on how well the band performs the songs too.

Edit:  Looking into it more, it does seem like the case that it is more of a limited time thing.  Perhaps my first impression of this news was a bit harsh?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:33:18 AM by Another_Won »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
Pretty sure i's just a short term project to finally get closure on performing the 12SS in full and get it out of his system. I think the name says it all.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »
Watched the live announcement of this last night at ProgPower.  I was shocked, but not really.  He is at the event and seems like something he would do.  A lot of the crowd cheered for it so I bet it will go over well at the festival, but since he's also doing the cruise, maybe he will be doing a full tour?  Not so sure I'd be interested in that if he came to NYC honestly.  Although, maybe if he does, then this would be his way of actually getting the guys from DT to be available and then that would interest me to see.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
Is this the same band that's going to be on the cruise? If so, him doing ProgPower with them is a way of letting those whom can't attend the cruise a chance to see the 12-step suite live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
Really curious to see who is going to be in the band. JP and JR have made these songs sound a certain way, and i hope it is a faithful recreation of the original sound.
Also, let's not forget JLB who has put his mark on the songs, i'm also curious to see how they will approach the vocals, hopefully not too many MP lead moments.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
You know there'll be a DVD / CD of it. :lol

Plus probably a Drum only mix.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »

Progpower always has professional shooting anyway, so you can count on it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »
I can imagine a really cool show, with a great band and some b-sides!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
These shows (we know there will be at least two) may be successful enough, or at least rewarding enough for Mike's ego, that this becomes the alternate Dream Theater and they begin putting out studio albums.

Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
I think it'd be a good idea for MP to pull a Luca Turilli and make Shattered Fortress a proper Prog Metal band with original music. Rhapsody of Fire + Luca (LT's Rhapsody) could pull it off IMO and so could Dream Theater + Mike (Shattered Fortress). It'd satisfy a lot of people wanting MP back in DT if it went well. It's probably not going to be that though, which would be a missed opportunity.

These shows (we know there will be at least two) may be successful enough, or at least rewarding enough for Mike's ego, that this becomes the alternate Dream Theater and they begin putting out studio albums.

Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime...

I think it'd go better than that project. Mike does have an ego, but it also seems like he genuinely cares about what his fans think about his music. He also still has a lot of talent in regards to drumming, which GT doesn't have in regards to singing.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »
I think it'd be a good idea for MP to pull a Luca Turilli and make Shattered Fortress a proper Prog Metal band with original music. Rhapsody of Fire + Luca (LT's Rhapsody) could pull it off IMO and so could Dream Theater + Mike (Shattered Fortress). It'd satisfy a lot of people wanting MP back in DT if it went well. It's probably not going to be that though, which would be a missed opportunity.

You only name a band [ex-member's name]+[ old band], [ex-member's name]+[old band's album], or [ex-member's name]+[old band's song] if 1) you just can't let go, or 2) you want to cash in on the association.

Wouldn't it be preferrable if Mike started a prog metal band without the baggage? I don't think he needs to cash in on the association to get recognized. If this thing is just temporary to perform the 12 Step Suite, the name suits it, but I think it's fair to speculate it might become something more.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »

Progpower always has professional shooting anyway, so you can count on it.

Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress LIVE AT PROGPOWER DVD

featuring the 12 Step Suite performer in full FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER !

Also a drum only mix and Mike Portnoy Commentary

Behind the Scenes as Mike shows you his new kit and rehearsal footage.

Double DVD.

$20

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 01:27:04 PM »

You only name a band [ex-member's name]+[ old band], [ex-member's name]+[old band's album], or [ex-member's name]+[old band's song] if 1) you just can't let go, or 2) you want to cash in on the association.

Wouldn't it be preferrable if Mike started a prog metal band without the baggage? I don't think he needs to cash in on the association to get recognized. If this thing is just temporary to perform the 12 Step Suite, the name suits it, but I think it's fair to speculate it might become something more.

I don't really mind the branding even if it were to carry on (though I'd want them to drop the massive MIKE PORTNOY in the logo). Sure, he doesn't need the associations, but it would be more likely to get attention with that name and more attention is better for any band.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »
With all due respect to MP, this really seems desperate.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Mike and have always been rooting for his success since he left the band.  To me it just looks like he couldn't get any traction with all his projects so he's just resorted to reliving the past with his time in DT.

Now, if this is just a way to do the 12-step suite or celebrate his 50th birthday and is intended to be a limited time thing, then I'm ok with it.

A lot would depend on how well the band performs the songs too.

Edit:  Looking into it more, it does seem like the case that it is more of a limited time thing.  Perhaps my first impression of this news was a bit harsh?

I kind of think that he is the kind of guy who just wants to play on so many kind of projects.  Flying colors, Neil Morse etc. that's some really nice work.  And it is very natural if he misses playing the songs part for a long period of his life.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Skeever

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
I might be the minority here, but maybe a DT cover band is all I want at this point. A band that's gonna come out and play Pull Me Under, Learning to Live, Voices, The Spirit Caries On, A Change of Seasons, and Octavarium. I might like that better than this band currently doing a musical.

Just my two cents.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »

Just as long as nobody wears an ADTOE shirt to the concert, it should be cool. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 04:37:49 PM »
I might be the minority here, but maybe a DT cover band is all I want at this point. A band that's gonna come out and play Pull Me Under, Learning to Live, Voices, The Spirit Caries On, A Change of Seasons, and Octavarium. I might like that better than this band currently doing a musical.

Just my two cents.

Id imagine you get your wish with the real DT.  It's not like they will be doing the musical forever.  Not sure how a DT cover band with MP is more interesting/better than a normal DT concert which we may not be getting now, but they will go back to it.  I do agree though that when they return toa typical setlist, they need to start playing the songs fans want to see.  I'm not saying they haven't done that either, just saying they need to continue what they did in the previous tour where they played the second half of awake and The Shattered Fortress which was kind of unexpected to see DT play.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »

Just as long as nobody wears an ADTOE shirt to the concert, it should be cool.

:angry: GTFO !!!!!!!!!

*Takes to facebook*

" This was supposed to be a celebration of MY time in Dream Theater - the band *I* nurtured and fed for like 50 years.... and someone comes to MY show wearing a DT Shirt that *I*

didn't play on. ME !!! *I* !!!!! MY  BABY ! 50 YEARS ! MY BAND ! E I MY ME BAND ME I MY MY Y IIIIIIIII "