Author Topic: Our New World (feat. Lzzy Hale)  (Read 19461 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Our New World (feat. Lzzy Hale)
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2016, 11:11:01 PM »
However, it makes me so sad to see the stupid replies and comments from people (not here, on Facebook).  Totally rude and uncalled for in every sense.  It's one thing to say "meh, I don't really like her voice", and that's ok, but to take it beyond that and rip into her, DT, and management and then onto the radio edit, sound production, and catering guy is just so immature and ridiculous.

Sigh..... that is to be expected with stuff like Facebook/Youtube comments, sadly.  I, for one, am pumped about it and if I had the money that I am willing to spend on this, I would go to this show, especially since it's like 20 minutes from where I am.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2016, 02:28:51 AM »
Do you think this will be documented for a DVD? I'm pretty sure we'll get a live album from this tour, but will it be just the Astonishing, or from the next leg where they'll play older tunes as well?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »
Do you think this will be documented for a DVD? I'm pretty sure we'll get a live album from this tour, but will it be just the Astonishing, or from the next leg where they'll play older tunes as well?

I really feel like this is a test to see how it goes and if it's positive they've already got things lined up for a filmed release before this tour ends and if it fails then it fails.  But, if they don't do multiple vocalists now I don't see it happening for at least 5 years if it happens at all.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »
Nice! I love how they are spicing up the end of this tour  :metal

Do you think it's because of the ticket sales and they're trying to get more people to the venues?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2016, 11:44:26 PM »

Do you think it's because of the ticket sales and they're trying to get more people to the venues?

I mean, maybe at the Anaheim show, but doubt it would work anywhere else.

It's cool they're doing this. I kind of wish they didn't announce it though. Would have been pretty awesome for the audience to just have her walk on stage as a surprise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2016, 12:17:37 AM »

It's cool they're doing this. I kind of wish they didn't announce it though. Would have been pretty awesome for the audience to just have her walk on stage as a surprise.

Besides the Lizzy Hale appearance, they're adding classics to the setlist at other shows, no?

Offline Adami

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2016, 12:19:22 AM »

Besides the Lizzy Hale appearance, they're adding classics to the setlist at other shows, no?

Ah that, I mean maybe. I've read they're cutting 3 songs from TA to fit them in though. And the 3 songs they added are ones that have been played live a whole lot, so I don't know exactly how many people are buying tickets just because of the three non-TA songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2016, 12:31:19 AM »

Ah that, I mean maybe. I've read they're cutting 3 songs from TA to fit them in though. And the 3 songs they added are ones that have been played live a whole lot, so I don't know exactly how many people are buying tickets just because of the three non-TA songs.

I'm sure it's not a huge amount but I think it's more of an appeal to those who didn't want to see TA in it's entirety again. Then again, most Dream Theater fans don't pick apart every last detail like some do on the forum.  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2016, 12:48:19 AM »
I mean, if fans are really excited about 3 non TA songs, two of which are almost always played anyway, then that's awesome.

I'm not sure if you're implying that those of us who aren't excited are just picking apart everything to death.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2016, 12:57:03 AM »
That's not what I'm implying. I was referring to TA being played in its entirety again.

Offline Jester

« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2016, 05:34:23 AM »
Love Lzzy Hale's vocal timbre and style.  Love most of Halestorm.  Loved her voice added to Adrenaline Mob's Come Undone.

So when I saw this offered a few months ago, I was giddy with excitement.  The person that said she seemed to listen to this once and give it a shot is closest to my feeling on how this turned out.  To be honest, JLB's take was great.  Lzzy's take was still very good.  But put them together and I really wish there was a producer there to chime in with "Sounded great.  Maybe one more take where you keep your style, but try to concentrate on the fact that this is a duet so we need to get the parts meshing together just a bit more."

She's hitting syllables and rhythms vastly different than JLB. The pull and push of her "character" is out of line with JLB's more straightforward approach.  Actually, the only reason that the problem is with Lzzy is because we know she recorded after JLB.  It might not have been a horrible idea to have JLB sing to Lzzy instead of trying to get Lzzy to complement JLB.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
I really wish they'll release a live video of the song with her. Like a stand alone at least.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2016, 11:56:24 PM »
And the only video I found was this one : https://www.instagram.com/p/BM5rszDBCQ_/ By mere chance, I stumbled upon this short video.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »
For those of us (me included) complaining about the shorter, edited version of the song with Lzzy. Someone made a full version of the song and uploaded it   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkmFekjEQw
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
For those of us (me included) complaining about the shorter, edited version of the song with Lzzy. Someone made a full version of the song and uploaded it   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkmFekjEQw

Most excellent.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »
It should be against the law to cut a DT song like that, specially during a JP solo :tdwn

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but, if they ever bring another guest singer for another TA song or a song from a future album, I would love to see them work with Anneke Van Giersbergen. She's good friends with James and her voice is AMAZING. What do you think?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2016, 01:30:09 AM »
It should be against the law to cut a DT song like that, specially during a JP solo :tdwn

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but, if they ever bring another guest singer for another TA song or a song from a future album, I would love to see them work with Anneke Van Giersbergen. She's good friends with James and her voice is AMAZING. What do you think?

Holy shit yes. She has an incredible voice, it would be amazing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2016, 02:48:53 AM »
I just checked her out, slightly fearing that she was going to be another "rock belter" like Lzzy. I'm pleasantly surprised I must say, Anneke has a nice voice.

In general I feel, if they were to have extra singers (I don't think they will, but just for the sake of argument), it should be understated character singers. That is, singers who shine through their voice alone, not volume or metal raunchiness. The Lzzy Hale version wasn't bad, but in a lot of ways she is just a female version of James in the song. That other song with the female singer (forgot the name, the fan version) is so much better because it's the character of the voice that adds to the narrative.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline CB

« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2016, 09:50:02 AM »

I love that idea! Anneke is one of my favourite singers. She and James were great on stage together in the Theater Equation. Her voice is indeed amazing and also very versatile, she can sound powerful, soft, sweet, fragile... everything.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
Holy shit yes. She has an incredible voice, it would be amazing.

I love that idea! Anneke is one of my favourite singers. She and James were great on stage together in the Theater Equation. Her voice is indeed amazing and also very versatile, she can sound powerful, soft, sweet, fragile... everything.

Great to see so much love for Anneke! I got very excited when she was touring with James for TTE and they even posted a pic together, I was hoping they were teasing guest vocals from Anneke on the new DT album (this was at the time they were in the estudio recording TA and we didn't have any info on it yet), but oviously TA was released with only James doing all the vocals. I hope they approach her for the next album. She has worked with many great prog bands and projects in the past, and seems to be a very nice person, so she would definitely be on board with the idea  :D

I just checked her out, slightly fearing that she was going to be another "rock belter" like Lzzy. I'm pleasantly surprised I must say, Anneke has a nice voice.

In general I feel, if they were to have extra singers (I don't think they will, but just for the sake of argument), it should be understated character singers. That is, singers who shine through their voice alone, not volume or metal raunchiness. The Lzzy Hale version wasn't bad, but in a lot of ways she is just a female version of James in the song. That other song with the female singer (forgot the name, the fan version) is so much better because it's the character of the voice that adds to the narrative.

I agree. Lzzy's voice is good, but she's just a "powerful rock/metal voice". Anneke's voice is much more versatile, you should check some her bands/projects. The Gentle Storm (with Arjen Lucassen) is a very recent album that has all vocals by her and has some very good songs in it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
Anneke!

My general musical philosophy is that anything plus Anneke equals better product. I don't think she would be great in DT however, since I feel like they'd under-use her, the same way they've under-used most other solo musical guests (rare as they are).

But live? Hell yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »
Anneke!

My general musical philosophy is that anything plus Anneke equals better product. I don't think she would be great in DT however, since I feel like they'd under-use her, the same way they've under-used most other solo musical guests (rare as they are).

But live? Hell yes.

They even under-use some of their own members (MM and JM anyone?), but we are allowed to dream, aren't we?  ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »
Anneke!

But live? Hell yes.

They even under-use some of their own members (MM and JM anyone?), but we are allowed to dream, aren't we?  ;D

Honestly, if they wrote like a really nice ballad with a good 50/50 or 60/40 split of vocals between James and Anneke, I'd be a happy guy.

Oh god I love Anneke so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2016, 08:15:55 PM »
Anneke!

My general musical philosophy is that anything plus Anneke equals better product.
I don't think she would be great in DT however, since I feel like they'd under-use her, the same way they've under-used most other solo musical guests (rare as they are).

But live? Hell yes.

A million times this

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »
Anneke!

My general musical philosophy is that anything plus Anneke equals better product.
I don't think she would be great in DT however, since I feel like they'd under-use her, the same way they've under-used most other solo musical guests (rare as they are).

But live? Hell yes.

A million times this

This just turned into the Anneke appreciation thread  :lol I love it

Offline Lethean

« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2016, 10:08:34 PM »
I like Anneke's voice a lot and enjoy her work with Devin Townsend. But I don't want her singing with DT. I think James killed it on TA and the album would have lost something with a guest singer. Plus it seems pretty typical these days for bands to get a guest female singer.

For my tastes, leave it to just the members of DT on the album's except the occasional guest musician as they've done in the past.

I didn't care for the Lzzy Hale version of Our New World, but did like how James changed up his vocals live to sing her part.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »
+1 for Anneke  :metal she's amazing