0 (0%)
Tomislav
0 (0%)
Sacul
0 (0%)
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: December 30, 2016, 04:19:58 AM

Author Topic: The Official Home Roulette v. Final Round RESULTS!  (Read 76456 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Official Home Roulette v. R4 Guessing/Spotting Game
« Reply #385 on: October 09, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
I know. :metal Plus, I needed to get that psychedelic bonus point in and IM seemed like the perfect band for that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #386 on: October 09, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
I hope to not destroy my score too hard this round

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #387 on: October 09, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »
You can expect decent score
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #388 on: October 09, 2016, 04:43:52 PM »
I did not know this until just now but apparently I live really close to mount pleasant cemetary, nice

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #389 on: October 09, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »
I though you were on the west coast :justjen

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #390 on: October 09, 2016, 06:31:33 PM »
I am

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #391 on: October 09, 2016, 11:20:05 PM »
Then there's another mount pleasant cemetery :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #392 on: October 13, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
So?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #393 on: October 13, 2016, 09:59:18 AM »
So I hope to do results before the weekend, otherwise it'll be tuesday since I am away for most of the weekend and have some deadlines monday evening. I won't promise since I've also got a midterm tomorrow but I'll probably have them up tomorrow evening :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline home

« Reply #394 on: October 14, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »
Round 4 Results!  :omg: :omg: :omg:

Evermind: Beyond the Bridge - Doorway to Salvation 7.5

A lot of energy at the start of the song, I’m not too big a fan of the sound there, it feels a little too compressed or pushing. The female vocals are really great though! They form a really nice contrast with the intro. I like how it builds up with the male vocals adding some extra power. The chorus is nice, I really like how it varies a little each time. It’s a very competently written prog metal song, but I feel kind of burned out with this kind of classic DT like prog metal music.

Luoto: Enslaved – Singular   7.5+1               Psychedelic
I really can’t get into the goblin-esque harsh vocals, like at the start of the song (the cleans here are really nice) but instrumentally this song is pretty solid. A lot of energy and enough variation to keep it interesting. The harsh vocals get more enjoyable when they are a little bit further away in the mix instead of being the focus point though, like from 2:40 – 2:55, I quite dig them there actually. The slow mid-section is pretty epic, the spoken word part works really well, a very nice dark atmosphere here. Again, the harsh vocals will prevent me from listening to this more often, but it was still an interesting song to listen to. Kind of odd choice for the psychedelic bonus point, tbh  :lol

Tomislav: Fates Warning - Seven Stars   7.5
Liked the intro, some nice vocal melodies near the start too.The chorus is pretty nice and very catchy. This song reminds me quite a bit of Dream Theater. Which is a good thing I guess but same comment as with  a very Evermind song, it’s a very competently written “classic prog metal” song, but I feel kind of burned out with this kind of music lately. Still really liked this song! It’s just not unique enough for me to check out their album.  The heavy ending is good though.

Parama: Being (feat Spencer Sotelo)- Air Atlantic   7.75+1            Djent
I like the soft intro, there’s something about how that djenty riff comes in that makes me smirk though. The low guitar works great with the high melody . I really like the vocalist, the whispery words at the end of some sentences are pretty rad. There’s a nice atmospheric middle section. I Like the rhythm near the end, that tremolo like effect on the vocals at the end is pretty nice, fade out ending is a bit a of a bummer though.

Twosuitsluke: DSME – Mirage 8+1 Djent

some really nice rhythms. I wasn’t too fond of the harsh vocals at first but they grew quite a bit on me. I can’t say I love them but they fit the song. The high sound in the background is pretty nice, directly makes the song a lot creepier :p. The female vocals are really nice and work surprisingly great
The Miraage part (chorus I think) is great, love how the song goes crazy there. The samples at the end are really good, they have a really nice impact after the heavy part, it’s a really nice way too end this song.

Scorpion: Infected Mushroom – Heavyweight    8.25+1      Psychedelic

The start of this song is amazing, a very nice kinda dark atmosphere. I Love the weird electronic drums and all those sound going on. The eastern melody is really great and works really well with the heavy sound behind it. Love all the different effects and sounds they are using. Not too sure about that weird electronic sound from about 3 minutes on, reminds me a little of Adebisi Shank though. The guitar (or synth lead?) after it is so good though. Besides a few small electronic bits I really enjoyed this song, a really nice and varied composition!

Elite: Nordic Giants - Evolve or Perish    8.25+1 Spoken Word
I really like the sound at the intro, the notes at the start sound a little predictable though . Love how rich the sound gets near about half a minute. This has to be one of my favourite use of samples in this roulette so far, they work absolutely great with the song. The piano chords at the middle of the song sound so disturbing, which works so well. The way the intense post-rock parts are alternated with the samples is really good, the samples have a nice impact this way.

Tyrias: Amplifier – Airborne 8.25
Nice atmosphere at the start, I like how it suddenly stops and then almost hesitates to start again, but then starts more intensely. I like the lead sound here. The it’s “time to fly”part is really epic! Despite the simple lyrics it’s one of my favourite choruses? in the roulette so far. The heavy part at 6 minutes is pretty great, there something about the timing when it starts that’s almost a little awkward though, like it starts just half a second before you expect it too. I love how intense it gets near at ending.

Sacul: Gazpacho - Chequered Light Buildings 8.5
This starts out so soothing! The singers voice, the minimalistic piano, it touches me. I like how gradually things are added in the background. The part at 1:50 is really nice. It’s get pretty intense at 3 minutes, and then completely does away with the soothing atmosphere, getting a little disturbing with the distant vocals. It forms a really nice contrast with when she singing starts again. The song slowly getting more soothing/pleasant again near the end. Really enjoyed this song, it has a really nice composition and also carries a lot of emotion.

Train of Naught – Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik’s Skuggsjá - Skuggsjá   8.5+1  Spoken Word
I love the flute at the start of the songs, it conjures some really nice images in my head, it’s got this kind of misty battlefield atmosphere or something. I like how the music gradually build up intensity behind the spoken vocals. The way the more screaming vocals join in and then go to singing vocals is pretty great too. After the softer middle part it has the same kind of awesome build up, ending really intense but a little suddenly perhaps. I Loved the atmosphere throughout the song!

Score list:
10 Evermind                  23.5 + 7,5 = 31 X
9 Twosuitsluike:         22.5 + 9 = 31,5 XX
8 Luoto:                 23.25 + 8,5 = 31,75 XX
7 Elite:                      23.5 + 9,25 = 32,75 X
6 Tomislav95:           26.25 + 7,5 = 33,75 XX
5 Tyrias                   25.5 +8,25 = 33,75 XX
4 Train of Naught         25.25 + 9,5 = 34,75 XXX
3 Parama:                  27 + 8,75 = 35,75 XXX
2 Scorpion:               26.5  + 9,25 = 35,75 XX
1 Sacul:                    27.5 + 8,5 = 36 XXX

Overall this was a pretty solid round again, both the highest minimum score and the lowest maximum score in this roulette I think. The total scores are quite close to each other too with only 5 points between the 10th and 1st position (4 points if all bonuses are sent) Perhaps I should be stricter with scores… So far no one has used the “short song” and “Rap/Hip Hop” bonus, probably the other bonuses are easier haha. Please send before next Monday, no haste as I am away most of this weekend so won’t start listening until Sunday evening anyway.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Home Roulette v. R4 Results! Send for R5!
« Reply #395 on: October 14, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »
doorway to salvation is pretty good but I like all the tracks that come after it more tbh  :lol
where the earth and sky meet is like the best ballad I've ever heard on a prog metal album tbh
also same as luke, I might send tomorrow but I'll definitely send Sunday if not

Also I have the album which singular is on but I can't recall what it sounds like. Storm of Memories is the song I'd have sent if I wanted a psychedelic bonus point with enslaved but tbh i don't see how they're very psychedelic at all regardless  :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #396 on: October 14, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »
Kind of odd choice for the psychedelic bonus point, tbh  :lol

You could tell I had a hard time coming up with a psychedelic track that is not too long for these rounds :lol 7.5 +1 isn't that bad actually, the quality in this roulette is simply high, I guess.

On another note, Fates Warning was one of my options for the possible epic song round, and off the same album even. Seven Stars is decent, but The Light and Shade of Things is amazing.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline home

« Reply #397 on: October 14, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »
Ah well I said "please use your own judgement" so it's fine. It's not something I could listen to on a trip I think, but I don't necesserily hoped to get music to listen to while tripping (post rock is just  :angel:) but more something that conjurs that same state of mind. (which is a bit vague anyway).

And yeah, 7,5 means I still really enjoyed the song, quality of the songs sent is indeed just very good in this roulette.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:05:33 PM by home »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #398 on: October 14, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
Seven Stars deserves more :P but ok, I'm not far behind.
I'll try to find something for you right now.
And I think I'll use short song bonus in seventh round if I'm desperately in need of that bonus point.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #399 on: October 14, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »
Hey, I'm no longer in last place so I'm taking that as a win  :biggrin:

I'll try and send in the next 24 hours. Literally have no idea what I'm going to send but I'll probably send something on impulse  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #400 on: October 14, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »
Good! I think that's the highest score I got so far :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #401 on: October 14, 2016, 03:35:37 PM »
Sent via Spotify. (Matt, notify me if you didn't get it, I had trouble sending to Luke today)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #402 on: October 14, 2016, 05:13:25 PM »
Yay! In hindsight this is probably something I'd more likely send to Sacul or something but I'm glad you liked. :metal

The song reminds me of Swans (without the flute) in a way as well, pretty much because of the sinister atmospheres they build around their songs, pretty similarly to this one. Check them out if you're interested, though I'm not sure what's the best album to start off with for Swans.

I'll send tomorrow I guess, kind of drunk rn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #403 on: October 14, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »
Yay! In hindsight this is probably something I'd more likely send to Sacul or something but I'm glad you liked. :metal

The song reminds me of Swans (without the flute) in a way as well, pretty much because of the sinister atmospheres they build around their songs, pretty similarly to this one. Check them out if you're interested, though I'm not sure what's the best album to start off with for Swans.
Will check that song :P

I guess The Seer is a good gateway into modern Swans, though their last album is more accessible.

Btw, Gazpacho's singer is a guy :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #404 on: October 15, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »
Man if I hadn't been so cocky and would've accepted your deal of not telling me what you thought of Skyharbor's Patience when I played it the other day I could have sent it right now and maybe even topped the boards :lol

I know what I'm sending next, should be interesting to see your reaction to this!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #405 on: October 15, 2016, 01:24:21 AM »
Sent punk tinged Canadian rock  :metal

One of these risks are going to pay off one day  :tup

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #406 on: October 15, 2016, 05:37:40 AM »
So I calculated how far I was away from first place without bonus points and realized it's not that much actually. Then I realized I'm also not that far ahead of last place, when discounting bonus points.

Anyway, glad you liked it. I'll try to send something this weekend.

Also, it's a shame the short song bonus is only for 2:25 or below, if it were 3 minutes or less I would have a lot of cool stuff to send for it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: October 15, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »
Man if I hadn't been so cocky and would've accepted your deal of not telling me what you thought of Skyharbor's Patience when I played it the other day I could have sent it right now and maybe even topped the boards :lol
Are you having parties or something? Why haven't I been invited? :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #408 on: October 15, 2016, 11:52:38 AM »
Nono, it's the ayreon discography thread, we listen through the albums together in tinychat. Before and after the Ayreon we have some time to just take turns and put on random songs, its pretty fun

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: October 15, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
Looked it up, seems like a lot of work, how about using Plug.dj? :P

Or why don't we have an official Plug room for DTF or something, would love to jam some tunes with you guys there  ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #410 on: October 15, 2016, 12:32:29 PM »
Sounds pretty cool, maybe you could set up an official thread for it. I would probably join when I have the time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 15, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »
Tinychat isn't a lot of work though, it requires you to click once on a link and you're there. Teamspeak is a lot of work but it isn't essential.

By the way, I sent my song in.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: October 15, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »
Sounds pretty cool, maybe you could set up an official thread for it. I would probably join when I have the time
More like when you're not listening to A7X and BTBAM amirite :neverusethis:

Done, join me if you fancy, guys.

Tinychat isn't a lot of work though, it requires you to click once on a link and you're there. Teamspeak is a lot of work but it isn't essential.
Oh yeah, didn't notice the large posts were about teamspeak :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: October 15, 2016, 06:50:10 PM »
home. i sent you "that one band". gimme my 6/10 ok

anyways off to see intronaut yeehaawww

Offline home

« Reply #414 on: October 17, 2016, 01:54:22 AM »
Btw, Gazpacho's singer is a guy :lol
:rollin At least I am not the only one, I asked some friends and they also thought it was a woman singing  :laugh:

Also since no one is sending songs under 2:25, I am upping the limit by 30s. The songs for short song bonus should now be 2:55 or under

Also Sacul, Elite and Scorpion please send today, I am going to start listening this evening.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #415 on: October 17, 2016, 02:58:01 AM »
Also since no one is sending songs under 2:25, I am upping the limit by 30s. The songs for short song bonus should now be 2:55 or under

I'm quite tempted by this but I don't think we have the same view on what makes a great, short song. I'll look at what I have under 2:55 and see what happens. Maybe some modern day folk with a punk vibe??

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #416 on: October 17, 2016, 03:56:39 AM »
Song from my sig is 1:42 long :D but it would be too risky to send such a short song

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #417 on: October 17, 2016, 04:01:47 AM »
I sent a short song just now.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #418 on: October 17, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »
I have sent.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline home

« Reply #419 on: October 17, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »
Awesome! only Sacul still has to send, time to put him to the Thread Title  :corn