Author Topic: South Park Season 20  (Read 4181 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
South Park Season 20
« on: September 02, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »
Fall is upon us and so is another season of South Park. 

To get hyped, here is a video compilation of "South Park by the Numbers" I guess to celebrate season 20 (didn't look like anything new, but awesome video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9sJj0otgm8

South Park Season 20 premieres Wednesday, September 14th, at 10pm on Comedy Central!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: South Park Season 20
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
Haha..good start. Just started watching now
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:36:52 AM »
I'll be watching tonight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:10:04 AM »
I should get to it this weekend

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »
Dang, I specifically made sure to watch it so I wasn't behind everyone lol.

Token's
   Life
Matters

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »
The drawing on Cartman's face >>>
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 06:00:50 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

Awesome episode. Great start to this season. Looks like it's going to be another season where every episode rolls into the next.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:06:23 AM »
The best part is the whole episode with the kneeling, then they do the best thing ever to "fix" it. Couldn't catch the ending but it did set itself up for a bleed in like last season.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:20:42 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 08:13:45 AM »
I really liked last week's episode and if they are going to do a whole season arc out of this, then I am really excited.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
That last episode was kind of weird. I think it will be good in the overall story arc, but as a stand alone episode, it was pretty boring.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 11:34:23 PM »
I saw a vagina, Kyle.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 06:57:23 AM »
Wieners Out!

Great episode.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
Anyone feel like this season has gone to utter shit? I'm hating every single bit of the trolling arc with Gerald. It's been shit from the very beginning and I can't believe it's still ongoing. Cartman? What the fuck? What happened to this show this season? Season 19 was the best season since the season 3-7 era. It's almost painful and a chore to watch. I fell asleep during the latest episode last night and I don't even care that I missed it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
Anyone feel like this season has gone to utter shit? I'm hating every single bit of the trolling arc with Gerald. It's been shit from the very beginning and I can't believe it's still ongoing. Cartman? What the fuck? What happened to this show this season? Season 19 was the best season since the season 3-7 era. It's almost painful and a chore to watch. I fell asleep during the latest episode last night and I don't even care that I missed it.

The trolling arc is definitely going on too long, but I've still liked most of this season. The big rick roll scene actually had me laughing. But yea, they need to end the trolling arc very very soon and move on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 06:43:15 AM »
I think it's been pretty funny. Not great, but I still laugh every episode. The musical bit with the 2 Bills had be rolling. As well as Gerald telling Kyle to lighten the fuck up. Also, the Danish people are hilarious. Don't mind the Cartman change because he's slowly sinking back to his conniving ways.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 08:49:15 AM »
I do agree that this season has gotten worse.  I finally caught up last night and thought the last episode was not good at all other than the opening scene which I saw coming from a mile away given SP's history of the after election episode.  I do think the season as a whole has been really good though, and I thought last season was one of the worst ever.  This season, to me, has been a nice spark to rekindle my love for SP.  I just hope it ends stronger.  I also wonder if it's a response to them seemingly writing a season long arc on the fly. 

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 02:28:05 PM »
I've actually really enjoyed this season. The troll storyline is obviously meant to parody hacker narratives and does so pretty effectively. The Rickroll scene was hilarious. I still look forward to the revelation that DildoSchwaggins et al. are actual mythological trolls, and that Gerald is just an asshole.

As far as Cartman... This goes down one of two ways. 1) Cartman has an angle, and everything blows up in his face. 2) Cartman is sincere but loses everything anyway, and comes back more evil than before. I think either are a satisfactory conclusion to the arc.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Jester

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
There are worse shows than this season's South Park, but it really does feel like they took a story that should have been 3 to 5 episodes and are trying to expand it out to a whole season.  I loved that they are making each season a complete arc, but maybe they need to go back and forth between season arc and random episode seasons to keep it fresh.

In reality, I find just about every comedic point funny.  The memba berries, Star Wars jokes, trolls and assholes, vagina balls.  All of it is hilarious.  But each one is being run into the ground to the point of killing the buzz.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 05:03:41 PM »
Last season definitely did the "long story arc" thing much better than this season has. This season feels too focused on a select few characters (last season, we saw how PC/gentrification culture was affecting different characters in different episodes) and it's really hard to tell how all of these plotlines are going to come together. Obviously, the election threw off where Matt and Trey were going with the last episode but even if it hadn't, it feels like they have no idea where they wanted this two go. Shame, really, the first few episodes of the season were pretty strong on the intrigue, though the whole season hasn't really been laying on the funny as much as the show usually does.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Jester

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 08:42:11 PM »
Well, that episode was a continued descent into what might be shaping up to be my least favorite South Park season.  And it started off so well.  I actually "laughed out loud" when the Trump hair descended on Mr. Garrison like a Darth Vader helmet.  Not really a *deep* joke, but still a nice, cheap laugh.

Then the rest of the episode was just awful.  I'm only finishing this season because South Park has held up so well over the years that I'm expecting them to pull off a good pay off at the end.  It still isn't as bad as Family Guy and the Simpsons where even if I decide to watch a new episode, I'm going in knowing it will probably suck.

I'm not even sure what the theme really is.  Maybe Trey Parker wrote a lot of bad emails putting down Matt Stone to the Comedy Central producers, knows they are about to be released and this whole season is setting up the "we shouldn't really read these Matt" excuse.  Honestly.  The story itself is the flaw.  The individual jokes are still funny for the most part.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »
Well, that episode was a continued descent into what might be shaping up to be my least favorite South Park season.  And it started off so well.  I actually "laughed out loud" when the Trump hair descended on Mr. Garrison like a Darth Vader helmet.  Not really a *deep* joke, but still a nice, cheap laugh.

Then the rest of the episode was just awful.  I'm only finishing this season because South Park has held up so well over the years that I'm expecting them to pull off a good pay off at the end.  It still isn't as bad as Family Guy and the Simpsons where even if I decide to watch a new episode, I'm going in knowing it will probably suck.

I'm not even sure what the theme really is.  Maybe Trey Parker wrote a lot of bad emails putting down Matt Stone to the Comedy Central producers, knows they are about to be released and this whole season is setting up the "we shouldn't really read these Matt" excuse.  Honestly.  The story itself is the flaw.  The individual jokes are still funny for the most part.

I agree. This was one of the worst episodes of the show ever. I don't understand the sudden change in Butters and I get that they don't like Trump but the anti-Trump stuff isn't even funny. I wonder where they would have went if he didn't win.

Offline Jester

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
Previous political characters have always been a bit hit and miss.  The Obama / McCain episode was a good story, but had nothing to do with the political characters themselves.  I do recall laughing pretty hard when "Mr." Cartman slept with Bill Clinton to get a 33rd trimester abortion.

For the most part, I find the Trump/Garrison character funny, but it has more to do with Garrison than Trump.

The best "political" episode of South Park's history was probably the financial crash episode where they had the chicken picking the outcome "$90 billion bailout !!!" for the blender or whatever it was.

I honestly can't even figure out the point of this season.  Star Wars references, funny ... but already getting old.  Memba berries, friggin' loved them, now getting old.  The "social media suicide" is funny.  Cartman overcompensating on the "girls are funny" in reference to Ghostbusters.  Funny.  But put them all together and it is kind of a hot mess.

Offline Jester

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 09:41:59 PM »
Wow, this episode was so bad that the funniest part came when it seemed to be making fun of the season itself.  It basically told the audience "we are going back to the self-contained episode once we finish this.  Even we know these plot devices are getting boring and dragged out and we are just trying to finish the season and move on."  I think they even named the episode "Not Funny."

Oh crap.  Is the big ending actually going to be that they *trolled* us?  That right when it is all going to be wrapped up (the Scooby Doo "if not for you meddling kids" moment) we are going to be Rick-rolled?  If that is the case then Comic Book Guy responds "Worst.  Season.  Ever."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 06:41:28 AM »
This season was really weak. I hope they return to the random episode strategy that worked in the past.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 06:42:17 AM »
The whole time I was watching, I was thinking about the irony of the title being Not Funny.
But, when the Rick Roll video played and the Danish guy goes, "Uh-oh." :lol
I suppose WE are the whole world being trolled.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 04:59:07 PM »
I liked last season a lot and still thought the last two episodes of S19 were pretty clumsy. I don't see this mess ending in a satisfying way in twenty-two minutes. The twist with the Danish president sucks. Worked better as a well-intentioned extremist. The member berries weren't even in this episode, and they're supposed to be the other main antagonist of this season.

And what was the point of Kyle and Ike running away as the cliffhanger in the episode before when they just started this episode back at the house, only to end in pretty much the same way?

It's a shame, really. Season 19 was great and this one started so strong. If Hillary winning was such an important plot point, then they should have just said "fuck reality" and had her win in the show, and ignored Trump's presidency completely. Perhaps it's time to go back to the single-episode format, or maybe like season 18 where the episodes are connected, but not to the point that they depend on each other.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »
Or if they do a storyline, don't have it based on current events.  Too unpredictable to write a TV show based on that on the fly and expect it to be consistent.

I actually enjoyed the last episode, but the season really has gone down hill. 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
Or if they do a storyline, don't have it based on current events.

That could work. Something more akin to Imaginationland, or the Black Friday trilogy, or Cartoon Wars, but over a whole season. Hell, there's nothing wrong with tying it to current trends and attitudes to make some kind of social statement, but tying so much of this season's plot to a real-life event that hadn't even happened yet really showed the weak side to their style of production.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »
Or if they do a storyline, don't have it based on current events.

That could work. Something more akin to Imaginationland, or the Black Friday trilogy, or Cartoon Wars, but over a whole season. Hell, there's nothing wrong with tying it to current trends and attitudes to make some kind of social statement, but tying so much of this season's plot to a real-life event that hadn't even happened yet really showed the weak side to their style of production.

Agreed, it just showed that while they can come up with an episode on the fly with solid results, building a storyline on the fly is very iffy at best.  I commend the effort, but it came up flat.  Im hoping for an awesome end, but don't expect anything special.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »
A whole season without Kenny, Jimmy, Timmy, Token, Clyde, etc, etc. Stan barely appears. It's mostly Kyle, Cartman, Kyle's father and Mr. Garrison. They started with this storyline on season 19 and it hasn't been good. This season was even worse. I really think they should go back to what South Park was before.

Offline Jester

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
The Rick Roll thing really bothers me.  It was getting old and annoying years ago.  Hell, you might as well say "member when people were Rick Rolled", but I don't think that was their intent.

I thought the Rick Roll thing was dumb and brain dead humor even when it was *fresh*.  So to see a trendsetter like South Park use it really is a "sunk so low" moment personified.

Nel really nailed a lot of points.  Especially the Danish president being better as a well-intentioned extremist (which almost kind of ties in in a small way with last season).  And I started out loving the member berries and now hate them.

I don't even think the story is coherent at this point.  Member berries went body snatchers with Randy and Mr. Garrett becoming zombies, but Garrett was back to off the cuff bonkers this episode.  I'd rewatch to see if I missed something, but if anything I want to anti-member berry this whole season at this point.  Even if the finale is awesome, that doesn't make the previous nine episodes suddenly become funny.  If they somehow pull off making the whole season incredibly funny by changing the entire perspective on every previous event with a mind-bending finale, then they are geniuses.  Something tells me they just painted themselves into a corner and if Comedy Central told them they could abandon this season right now (or two episodes prior) they would have taken the mulligan.

This has been a really bad fall TV season for me.  I'm not even sure if Westworld is all that good or I'm just starved for entertainment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
If they somehow pull off making the whole season incredibly funny by changing the entire perspective on every previous event with a mind-bending finale, then they are geniuses.

I feel like the have to.  Just to save Cartman at this point.  Luckily they've shown he is close to exploding, but they really do need to pull off some crazy shit to make this season work in any way.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
Ha, I forgot about this season. I'll have to watch the last episode. The best part of this season has been the Danish people.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 05:37:25 AM »
I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the finale.  Didn't save the season, but did manage to tie up a lot of the storyline.  Minus the member berries.  Or bringing Cartman back to what he was/is.  Had some good laughs in the episode too.