Author Topic: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I've lived in North Dakota.  Up until kindergarten, at least, but I can still recall how much the snow sucked.  It sucks pretty bad here in PA, but other places have it way worse.  That said, if I were ever to move, it would be to a southern state with less-to-no snow and someplace with a smaller percentage of redneck population.  I don't know exactly where that would be, but I suspect it might be in the SW US somewhere.  Another country?  Possibly Bermuda.  They have awesome temps all year long, and the coldest temp on record there is 43.6 degrees.  No snow.  I'm so there.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Colorado, and not just for the legal weed. That'll be most states within the decade.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I am with you, I would think Arizona or somewhere like that.

But I actually love North Carolina, so I'm not looking to move.  We have decent weather most of the time, and we have almost every kind of environment, going from mountains to foothills to piedmont to sand hills to plains to marshlands to coast/beaches.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Colorado- beautiful mountains and great snowboarding

New Hampshire- Amazing lakes and mountains

Virginia- super laid back and lots of wide open space

Offline TheCountOfNYC

California and specifically Los Angeles. It's like New York City but without the winter or rain for half of the week every week.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Vermont.  The snow doesn't bother me.  I just love the lifestyle up there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
France or Canada.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Switzerland. Good, friendly people. Quick train ride to many wonderful places. Breathtaking scenery.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Another state.... I could see Denver Colorado.  Clean, beautiful, nice people. 

Another country.... maybe Netherlands.  Also clean, beautiful, and nice people.

I don't see either as being too different than what I am used to either. I don't think I'd want to live somewhere that is too different than what I've lived in my entire life.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
New York would be nice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Not entirely sure yet. I won't know until a few years from now if I'm even pulling through with this but if I will, I will probably not go out of Europe, I would go to Norway if money wasn't an issue, fucking love their culture and the landscapes, but realistically I'm thinking more along the lines of Italy, Germany or UK.

It mostly depends on my school programme because it's obliged to do an internship for 1 year in a foreign country and if it turns out nicely I would be able to lay down some connections wherever I'm doing this and maybe start a career over there. This is 2 years from now so I'm not rushing it, but it's nice to think ahead, 2 years is not that much.

Another country.... maybe Netherlands.  Also clean, beautiful, and nice people.
Do it :metal

I don't see either as being too different than what I am used to either. I don't think I'd want to live somewhere that is too different than what I've lived in my entire life.
Me neither. Vacation? Sure. Moving to a country for atleast a couple of years where the culture and lifestyle is completely different? A bit too much.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I should have added that in my "nice people" part, that they are "nicer than what I am used to"  :lol New Jersey isn't known for it's nice people so I'd rather move somewhere where the people are nicer than NJ.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
I really loved living in Des Moines, Iowa, and I wouldn't mind moving back there.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i moved from Missouri to Washington earlier this year (for job reasons mostly) but i am definitely preferring it here so  :lol
aside from everything being more expensive but w/e

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
i moved from Missouri to Washington earlier this year (for job reasons mostly) but i am definitely preferring it here so  :lol
aside from everything being more expensive but w/e

You know which states are better than Missouri? All of them. Okay, Mississippi is debatable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 02:16:27 AM »
California and specifically Los Angeles. It's like New York City but without the winter or rain for half of the week every week.

Oh god why? I'd do anywhere else in California except the LA basin.

As for me, Oregon would be nice, but honestly I'm perfectly happy in San Fran.

As to another country, I'd do Canada, and for a foreign language country it'd have to be Spain.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 03:03:04 AM »
The moon

I hear it's nice this time of year
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 05:54:22 AM »
Vermont.   

WTF?? Way to branch out!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »
Vermont.   

If you don't think there is a cultural difference we are not a match. :lol  It's a different way of life.  I've never thought of living in another country but I've always wanted to visit a few that I haven't been to yet like Ireland.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »
Switzerland. Good, friendly people. Quick train ride to many wonderful places. Breathtaking scenery.
This.  Not sure what I would do for work, but I could probably find something as an engineer (not train driver).

Or Colorado if staying in the US.  Someone mentioned New Hampshire earlier too.  I spent some time living there and would go back.

I visited Heidelberg Germany once and my first thought was "I could retire here".  Don't know why I thought retirement specifically, but it certainly seemed like somewhere I could live for a while.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:25:48 AM by jasc15 »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 06:21:34 AM »

As to another country, I'd do Canada, and for a foreign language country it'd have to be Spain.

I'm a New York City boy (hence my username). I love the big city and couldn't imagine not living in a Metropolis. However, I hate the winter and every other big city is either too hot during the summer or too humid. I have always wanted to live in California and LA seems like the place with the smallest change in culture from NYC.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 06:21:53 AM »
Vermont.   

If you don't think there is a cultural difference we are not a match. :lol  It's a different way of life.  I've never thought of living in another country but I've always wanted to visit a few that I haven't been to yet like Ireland.

You're always welcome here to Sweden, where the blondes roam free in the streets and we all work at IKEA.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »
I've seen your pictures and it is so beautiful there.  I'd knock blonde bitches down like bowling pins.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »
Zydar, is the idea that your avatar is SUPPOSED to look like Tom Cruise from Risky Business?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 06:43:51 AM »
New York would be nice.

It is. There is so much to do, so much to see, so much history here. Central Park is a thing of beauty. You will never be able to explore every part of it, which adds to its mystery. The underground tunnels are labyrinthine, and lucky for me I am able to explore most of them since most of them connect to the subway tunnels in some way.

If I were to move anywhere else, it would be a place with an eternal autumn and no snow. It doesn't exist, so maybe Arizona because I do love the hot weather and some of their weather patterns are consciously unreal.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 06:52:52 AM »
I'd really like to move to New Zealand, for a few years at least. It's so beautiful out there, it's just so goddamn far........from everywhere!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 06:55:14 AM »
Zydar, is the idea that your avatar is SUPPOSED to look like Tom Cruise from Risky Business?

:lol

Haha no, just a coincidence.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »

I'm a New York City boy (hence my username). I love the big city and couldn't imagine not living in a Metropolis. However, I hate the winter and every other big city is either too hot during the summer or too humid. I have always wanted to live in California and LA seems like the place with the smallest change in culture from NYC.

Have you ever been to LA?  It's nothing like NYC.  Very different culture and totally different type of city.  Nothing really compares to NYC from my travels, although I hear London and Tokyo are similar.

I'm with lonestar, I wouldn't want to live in LA.  In fact I was offered a position there at my company and declined.  Instead I spent like maybe 3 months combined over the course of a year out there.  I actually do like LA, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
I was told on another forum that if I wanted someplace to avoid snow and rednecks, that San Francisco might be ideal.  Lonestar, any serious redneck population there?  I mean hippies, yeah, but I could probably deal with that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »
I was told on another forum that if I wanted someplace to avoid snow and rednecks, that San Francisco might be ideal.  Lonestar, any serious redneck population there?  I mean hippies, yeah, but I could probably deal with that.

It's becoming the tech capital out there, I doubt many red necks but lots of hipsters.  Becoming very expensive to live there from what I hear.  My good friend moved out there and loves it though.  I'd say I'd choose San Fran over LA pretty easily.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »

Have you ever been to LA?  It's nothing like NYC.  Very different culture and totally different type of city.  Nothing really compares to NYC from my travels, although I hear London and Tokyo are similar.

I'm with lonestar, I wouldn't want to live in LA.  In fact I was offered a position there at my company and declined.  Instead I spent like maybe 3 months combined over the course of a year out there.  I actually do like LA, but I wouldn't want to live there.

When I said culture, I was thinking more along the lines of people having a big city mentality. Anytime I go to a more rural area, the differences between the locals there and my fellow New Yorkers are jarring. I have never been to LA, but I feel like I would get comfortable very quickly since the big city would be familiar to me. Obviously the culture in NYC is different because there is no other place on the planet like it. I like the thought of living in Los Angeles but the reality is that New York City is my home. Being a New Yorker is more than just living here. It runs deep in the veins and no matter where you are, that fact will never change. The winters suck here but from April to November this city is the greatest place in the universe. I may move to Los Angeles or maybe San Diego eventually but I will never say I'm from anywhere else but New York City.

-MirrorMask

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »
In this country:  I have a few cities I'd like to visit, but I haven;'t been to many of them to have an opinion.  If I had to choose, Pittsburgh would be my choice.

Abroad:  Either Japan or Germany.  Japan, since I spent a semester there in 2001.  It's had a big impact on my life.  Germany, since I've always wanted to visit, and I also have relatives there.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 11:26:47 PM »
If I had to move to another state, it probably be somewhere northeast.  Not in the big cities since it is pretty expensive to live in a metropolis, but somewhere in a suburb with a nice neighborhood and that I'm within an hour of seeing my favorite bands in concert since every band loves touring the Northeast part of the states.  West Coast don't get too much love.  They got some love, but not enough.

If I had to move to another country, I would want to go Canada. I always keep thinking about it, but with the way I keep hearing news about the presidential elections, I always end up thinking, "I want to move to Canada."  What providence though?  Don't know.  I would also want to live in Japan and indulge in everyday lifestyle there and go see a New Japan Pro Wrestling show in one of the big venues like Sumo Hall in Tokyo or an Osaka show or see their big Tokyo Dome show that they do every January 4th.  In this scenario, I'll adapt with the language barrier somehow via broken English or maybe pick up some common phrases to get by.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 01:22:19 AM »
I'm italian, I would move to Norway or to Germany / Austria. I love the teutonic regions, I can see myself living in Vienna for example.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 11:47:20 AM »
In this country:  I have a few cities I'd like to visit, but I haven;'t been to many of them to have an opinion.  If I had to choose, Pittsburgh would be my choice.

As a Pittsburgh boy, I'd love to hear more on that choice. I think Pittsburgh is amazing and I love it, I just don't hear too many from outside of this area voice a desire to move here.