Author Topic: (What happened to...) Hugh Syme  (Read 5138 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: (What happened to...) Hugh Syme
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »
It'd be cool to ask him which other album cover artists he admires/follows, either old or new.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
He published a booked featuring all his Rush artwork - will he ever do a follow up book featuring a lot of the album artwork he's done for other bands/artists?

Is he busy working on the packaging for the 40th anniversary re-release of Permanent Waves? How far in advance does he begin working on these legacy projects for Rush?

Out of all the covers he has done for all artists, which ones are his favorites and why?

Out of the DT covers he's done, which one does he like the best and why? Out of the DT covers he did not do, which one does he like best and why?

How much time does he typically get to put together the artwork for a DT album? Where does he get ideas and direction - from the lyrics, JP, elsewhere?

In a tactful way, try to bring up the topic about how fans have become more critical about the execution of his work (being sloppy, etc.), perhaps touching on the issues with the 8v cover (original purple strings and balls not lining up on cover, underwater scene looking fake, domino-monoliths not very realistic) and the self-titled cover. In both cases, the cover art was fixed after fans brought up the issues, although the other artwork in 8v was not (though the fans hadn't said much about it).

How does he feel about imagery in print and and films looking fake (in other words, not photo-realistic) due to how easy it has become to use Photoshop and other programs to create content digitally instead of manipulating real images?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2019, 12:45:36 PM »
Not a fan of d/t album cover.   :tdwn
Great album though!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2019, 12:58:35 PM »
I became of the Hugh Syme through DT. I don't like his DT covers at all and I think they are incredibly lazy. A few years ago I went back and looked through his other album artwork and I was surprised to find he had some really cool artwork.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »
Some great questions right here. Keep them coming! I'll compile everything and send to him - he asked me to send the questions in advance. I'll have to be tactful about certain issues pertaining to the DT covers - the Untethered Angels single, ADTOE, Octavarium etc. But I'll try to word the questions in a way that shows we're only looking for clarification on the matter, with the utmost respect. I'll keep you all updated!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
Besides Hemispheres, what is the one other piece of artwork that he wish he could redo and why?

When the reissues of Caress of Steel came out, why didn't they fix the artwork so that the coloring (or lack thereof) was correct, as originally intended?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 03:10:34 PM »
Some more that just came to mind:
Besides Neil Peart, who has been the easiest band/artist to work with?

Without naming names, what was the worst experience you had working with a band/artist?

After suggesting and getting approval for an idea, has there ever been a situation where you realized that the idea wouldn't work as intended? What did you do in that situation?

What's the story behind the "Pins and Needles" image that was supposed to be the cover for Megadeth's 7th album that wasn't used?

Do you prefer to work on album covers and other artwork, or do you prefer creating images for advertising in the commercial world?

How much of the work you do is for advertising and how much is it for albums covers and other artwork?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
Have you rejected any project due to differences with the artist/band?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
Hey Rodrigo - when will you do the interview with Hugh?

Also, I just saw this article:
https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/concerts/2019/12/02/rush-album-artist-sign-artwork-hugh-syme-book-indianapolis/4331688002/

Nothing really new in it, but could be a talking point as well.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2019, 08:18:52 PM »
Hey Rodrigo - when will you do the interview with Hugh?

Also, I just saw this article:
https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/concerts/2019/12/02/rush-album-artist-sign-artwork-hugh-syme-book-indianapolis/4331688002/

Nothing really new in it, but could be a talking point as well.

I did it yesterday. We spoke for 01h10min!!! He gave me some great insights into his work, his interactions with Rush, Portnoy and Petrucci, and also Iron Maiden, Aerosmith etc. This should be a good one!!! I'll post it here when it's published.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 09:09:20 PM »
Great! Looking forward to it!

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2019, 06:09:17 AM »
Where can I buy prints of your work (I love the cover of p/g as much as I don't care for the music).

Get your wallet out (and maybe rob a bank):

https://artofrush.shop.musictoday.com/dept/gallery?cp=104728_104819

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 08:14:15 AM »
That's dream stuff right there.  I have a Paul Stanley piece in my living room ("Karma" if anyone cares) that I love but that was a once in a lifetime purchase (and wasn't as much as these, by half at least).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »
Where can I buy prints of your work (I love the cover of p/g as much as I don't care for the music).

Get your wallet out (and maybe rob a bank):

https://artofrush.shop.musictoday.com/dept/gallery?cp=104728_104819

I don't know. I associate that as much with the band than the artist so if Geddy, Alex and Neil ever signed the Clockwork Angels piece that's there I'd have a life dilemma.  But the part that makes it "high end" or desirable in the art community doesn't really do a lot for me given that most of it is hanging up already in various forms already.

Did finally break down and order the Art Of Rush Book about a week ago and if he does bring an art show within reasonable driving distance it might be worth an opening night visit and maybe bring some things to get signed.

I imagine despite the price tag much of that stuff is well on the way to being sold out.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »
Finally broke down and bought his book after passing on the holiday sale over the past 4 years or so. I wanted to grab a copy before it went out of print which isn't likely to happen now as he has now opened his website and his art show. Ordered the book before all of that was announced.

Anyway, The early years are very sparse in terms of the art and much of it isn't all that unique until you start getting in to Signals and Grace Under Pressure. Very well made book, but I think it loses steam at the end because it includes quotes from famous celebrities and musicians which is a total turn off for me. (No surprise that Portnoy and Petrucci were among the longest comments made.)