Poll

Which band do you like better?

Metallica
60 (56.6%)
Queensryche
46 (43.4%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: June 09, 2022, 08:14:07 AM

Author Topic: Metallica vs Queensryche  (Read 11103 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Metallica vs Queensryche
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2016, 05:57:17 AM »
That logic gets tossed out the window as the three albums prior to Permanent Waves are better than anything after Moving Pictures.

Thank you.

But I suppose Peart may look at it as some awkward growing years for the band, while I look at it as THE definitive period of the band and I consider it their Golden Age.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2016, 05:59:58 AM »
I concur. You get that a lot from musicians though. They'll have some kind of revelation and sometimes dismiss prior releases.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »
I don't put too much stock into it when a band says, "This was our first real album," or any other silliness like that.  Heck, Neil Peart once said that Moving Pictures should have been Rush's first album :eek :eek :eek, so chew on that one for a while. :lol :lol
Eh, I get what you are saying.  But I think in a lot of cases, it isn't the band trying to disown certain albums as much as just being shorthand for something along the lines of, "This album is the first one I really felt satisfied with as a musician and feel like it really captures what we had been trying to do as a band since day 1." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
How did a thread asking if Metallica or Queensryche are better lead to a discussion about Rush?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2016, 11:26:37 AM »
Yeah, RFO was where it started coming together but they still were not very popular at that point.  When Mindcrime came out (which was even better imo) they still weren't being taken very seriously.  Then Empire was what really launched them.  They were able fill arenas and play Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour.  One of the best shows I've ever seen.

BTW, The Warning is awesome and the EP is really good too.  I have The Prophecy bonus track version which was recorded during TW sessions.  Great song.

Actually, that version was recorded during the RFO sessions.

There is a much more raw version recorded during The Warning sessions, but it's much harder to find. It was only released on The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2 soundtrack, and to the best of my knowledge, it has never been on any official QR release.

Yeah, so it was a demo for The Warning and then they actually recorded a better version during the RFO sessions?  That must be the version I have on the CD release of the EP.  The original cassette release didn't have it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »
^Correct.  It was only included on the reissue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
How did a thread asking if Metallica or Queensryche are better lead to a discussion about Rush?

Is this your first day?  ;)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:58 PM »

Is this your first day?  ;)

Welcome to Dream Theater Forums: Where all roads lead to Rush.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
No. No. No.

Where all roads lead away from the OP...  :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2019, 04:11:34 AM »
I've only heard Operation Mindcrime from Queensryche but it was incredibly meh

:omg:

I wouldn't necessarily be as negative as Zantera, but I'm not at all shocked that someone thinks it's meh. For its reputation as one of the prog metal albums (and it certainly is; I'm not denying that), a ton of it is mostly just straightforward NWOBHM. Mainly just the concept parts and Suite Sister Mary are not. I was definitely underwhelmed the first time I heard it, and while I've come to enjoy it, I can see someone still having that underwhelmed opinion.

I also think Queensr˙che is mostly going to appeal to people who like that style of metal, while Metallica will appeal to a much broader range of music fans. I like but not love that style of metal, so it makes a fair bit of sense that I like but do not love Operation: Mindcrime.

I see Metallica as one of those standout bands that transcends genre in terms of appeal, while Queensr˙che really doesn't do that in the same way. I'm not surprised to see anyone, really, being a fan of Metallica. I'm also not surprised to see someone like Zantera, who doesn't really seem to be that into the whole 80s style of metal, not be that impressed with O:M. By a similar token, I don't typically like thrash, but I love Metallica. And Rust In Peace, which also has genre-defying appeal in my estimation.

Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is one of records that defines the 80's melodic heavy metal. I would say it's even more melodic than any 80's Iron Maiden or Judas Priest album.  If some people dislike O:M, I suppose they are not fans of that style of metal. On the other hand, Metallica's AJFA is a one of records that defines aggressive and unmelodic 80's metal, it's something totally opposite to O:M.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2019, 06:10:25 AM »
AJFA is quite melodic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »
I've only heard Operation Mindcrime from Queensryche but it was incredibly meh

:omg:

I wouldn't necessarily be as negative as Zantera, but I'm not at all shocked that someone thinks it's meh. For its reputation as one of the prog metal albums (and it certainly is; I'm not denying that), a ton of it is mostly just straightforward NWOBHM. Mainly just the concept parts and Suite Sister Mary are not. I was definitely underwhelmed the first time I heard it, and while I've come to enjoy it, I can see someone still having that underwhelmed opinion.

I also think Queensr˙che is mostly going to appeal to people who like that style of metal, while Metallica will appeal to a much broader range of music fans. I like but not love that style of metal, so it makes a fair bit of sense that I like but do not love Operation: Mindcrime.

I see Metallica as one of those standout bands that transcends genre in terms of appeal, while Queensr˙che really doesn't do that in the same way. I'm not surprised to see anyone, really, being a fan of Metallica. I'm also not surprised to see someone like Zantera, who doesn't really seem to be that into the whole 80s style of metal, not be that impressed with O:M. By a similar token, I don't typically like thrash, but I love Metallica. And Rust In Peace, which also has genre-defying appeal in my estimation.

Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is one of records that defines the 80's melodic heavy metal. I would say it's even more melodic than any 80's Iron Maiden or Judas Priest album.  If some people dislike O:M, I suppose they are not fans of that style of metal. On the other hand, Metallica's AJFA is a one of records that defines aggressive and unmelodic 80's metal, it's something totally opposite to O:M.

I don't consider O:M a PROG metal album at all. It's just a hard rock album. There's nothing really prog about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2019, 06:23:21 AM »
Well, both have really high highs and some low points, but on the average Metallica has been more consistent. From 80s to 1995 they're pretty much neck and neck, maybe I'll slightly prefer Queensr˙che, but then Metallica had Loads which I like, QR had HITNF which has some great songs but is inconsistent and then Chris left and they've never really recovered from that.

AJFA is quite melodic.
True. It has some sick guitar harmonies as well. If somebody calls it unmelodic, I'm directing them straight towards To Live Is To Die.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:29:12 AM by Ruba »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
Queensryche, by a mile. I love Metallica's early stuff, but they fell off a cliff for me, stylistically, with Load and moving forward. Queensryche did the same, as the original lineup stuff was all gold up UNTIL HITNF, and then that was a little spotty to say the least. But I think QR's post-DeGarmo catalog is way better as a whole (again, for me, personally) in comparison to Metallica's post-Black album catalog. So this one is an easy one.

The one advantage I do think I'd give to Metallica is that they have three all-time classic records (Puppets, Justice, Black album), whereas Queensryche arguably has only two (Mindcrime and Empire). And again "classic," is subjective. For example, I think Promised Land is one of the band's best albums, but not everyone agrees.

So, Queensryche, by a mile.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Personal preference:  Queensryche
Objective, cultural impact:  Metallica

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
Metallica for me and it's not even close.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »
Hmmm....

This is all based on Metallica through the Black Album and QR through Promised Land.

The best album either of them released was Operation: Mindcrime.

My gut wants to put Master and Lightning next, but there are songs on both of those albums that I don't really care for ("Fight Fire with Fire," "Escape," "Thing" and "Leper Messiah").  On the other hand, there's only one song on The Warning that I don't care for ("Before the Storm"), so maybe the next tier is

2. The Warning
3. Master of Puppets
4. Ride the Lightning

AJFA probably comes next, and then Rage for Order, followed by the QR EP and Kill 'Em All.

Empire comes next (5/11 skippable songs), followed by the Black Album (only 3-4 songs worth listening to).

Dead last is Promised Land, which is a generally bad album with two good songs ("I Am I" and "Damaged").

I think that puts QR on top by a hair.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung