Poll

Which band do you like better?

Metallica
60 (56.6%)
Queensryche
46 (43.4%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: June 09, 2022, 08:14:07 AM

Author Topic: Metallica vs Queensryche  (Read 11088 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Metallica vs Queensryche
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2016, 11:07:30 AM »
Metallica. I find Queensryche pretty meh

This was my exact thought reading the OP.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
If Tate had quit after Empire and they'd called it a day, Queensryche would hands down be my favourite band of all time.

If the albums Q2k, Mindcrime II and American Soldier didn't exist and DeGarmo and Tate had quit at the same time, meaning we got Promised Land, HiTNF and Tribe, and then they'd called it a day, Queensryche would probably still be my favourite band of all time (as it is Rush are, whilst Devin Townsend is my favourite artist).

The two most recent efforts are much better than the Tateryche albums (which I tend towards including Q2k as part of) but LaTorre doesn't have DeGarmo or Tate's way with lyrics and they miss DeGarmo's gift with melody and texture so much.

As for Metallica, at one time I could play an awful, awful lot of their first 5 albums on the guitar - so much fun to play along to - and yet I'm not sure how much I ever actually just listened to their first 3 records. After those 5 it's been a mixed bag. Load/Reload were ok, St. Anger was laughably bad in every way and Death Magnetic sounded like a band doing a good imitation of early Metallica who'd employed a half-deaf producer.

The drag factor of Dedicated To Chaos ought to tip my vote towards Metallica, but... St. Anger.

So, my vote goes to Queensryche.

Nice analysis. More importantly, I love the avatar.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I feel that American Soldier is a more than competent album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
I agree.  If not for Tate's weak, throaty vocal performance, I would consider it a very solid album with only a few minor flaws here and there.  Probably the best post-DeGarmo album they did with Tate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »
The result may have been weak, but at least I feel he put some effort into it. I find it a focused album for him and the band.
Unfortunately for Tate, he will always be compared his past glories.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
American Soldier has some pretty good tunes; the two standouts to me were "At 30000 ft" and "Dead Mans Words".  The vocals were tough, plus the last three songs on the album slowing things down to a snails pace didn't help matters.  "Home Again" was a struggle to get through.

But "Unafraid" and "Man Down" were also good tunes.  It was a step in the right direction, but my interest at the time in QR was hanging by a thread and I just lost interest.  I won't even begin to get into DTC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
  I won't even begin to get into DTC.

I have not heard a single note of DTC.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
  I won't even begin to get into DTC.

I have not heard a single note of DTC.

Well I will just say this about it.  It is my all time most disliked album by bands that I like.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2016, 04:05:05 PM »
I find it a focused album for him and the band.
Uh...even though the band didn't write it or play on it?  :lol

But that aside, as far as Tate, it's not an issue for me of comparing him to "past glories."  It's that he is singing it from the neck up and straining on mid-range notes.  It sounds like he didn't bother to warm up or try multiple takes to get it right.  The entire things sounds phoned it.  It's not that I'm expecting him to sound like he did on The Warning.  I just expect him to sound like an actual singer and not croak out a half-baked performance.  Honestly, if he sounded like he did halfway decent warm-up exercises, and if Slater had had the guts to say, "Geoff, that take isn't up to par.  Let's punch in and re-do that line" or "Let's give your voice a rest and hit it again in a couple of hours" in the places that needed it, the album could be 10 times better.  And, for the record, I don't fault Slater too much for not doing that.  I realize that he was a hired gun, and being hired by the Tates, he was in a difficult position.  I'm just saying that's what it would have taken for Tate to sound decent.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:12:45 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2016, 04:23:12 PM »
The band didn't play on it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »
I think Stone did, but the rest (or at least, most of it) was session musicians brought in by Tate/Slater.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »
And I would still take HITNF over it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
And I would still take HITNF over it.

Just listened to HITNF the other day.  Thats a prime example of less is more; take off 4 or 5 songs and that album is much better.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
I find it a focused album for him and the band.
Uh...even though the band didn't write it or play on it?  :lol

But that aside, as far as Tate, it's not an issue for me of comparing him to "past glories."  It's that he is singing it from the neck up and straining on mid-range notes.  It sounds like he didn't bother to warm up or try multiple takes to get it right.  The entire things sounds phoned it.  It's not that I'm expecting him to sound like he did on The Warning.  I just expect him to sound like an actual singer and not croak out a half-baked performance.  Honestly, if he sounded like he did halfway decent warm-up exercises, and if Slater had had the guts to say, "Geoff, that take isn't up to par.  Let's punch in and re-do that line" or "Let's give your voice a rest and hit it again in a couple of hours" in the places that needed it, the album could be 10 times better.  And, for the record, I don't fault Slater too much for not doing that.  I realize that he was a hired gun, and being hired by the Tates, he was in a difficult position.  I'm just saying that's what it would have taken for Tate to sound decent.

I don't know if he still does today, but the fact that he smoked didn't help matters for him vocally, either.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
I remember getting that CD and Lemon Parade by Tonic at the same time. I played the hell out of both CD's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Rage For Order is the first REAL QR album.   That album is just amazing.  I still like it better than even O:MC, and I still think it's QR's masterpiece. 

Find a metal album that tried anything that's in Rage For Order before Rage For Order did it....I dare you. 

Promised Land is "Rage For Order with a budget", and it's still really excellent from that standpoint, but you could never recapture the magic of that near perfect album.   

Rage For Order is the best album released by either of those bands.

Honestly, having listened to both in the last few days, I might prefer Rage for Order now, too; there's something about it that is just so damn good.  Not that O:C isn't great, because it is, but Rage for Order just has that little extra something. :coolio

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2016, 01:47:58 AM »
Although Metallica seems to win the vote, Queensryche clearly dominates this discussion.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2016, 03:25:26 AM »
I think Stone did, but the rest (or at least, most of it) was session musicians brought in by Tate/Slater.

Is this stated on the liner notes? I only have a digital copy.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2016, 06:18:06 AM »

Is this stated on the liner notes? I only have a digital copy.
Of course not. The Taters would have loved for everyone (including the rest of the band) to believe that OMII, AS and DtC were fully QR albums just as everything up thru Tribe was (in terms of writing and performance). But while the rest of the guys in the band may have recorded their parts for these albums, to varying degrees, the Taters and Slater brought in other musicians (for whatever reason) that re-recorded the bulk of the music. A lot of this was brought out in the statements made by the band members when they were going to court after firing Tater and his wife.

Honestly, I think AS is probably the album that has the most of the band, or at least Michael Wilton on it. For OMII and DtC, he has very little presence.

Regarding those albums, I would also have to say that AS is probably the most honest of the post-Tribe albums that they did too. There's some good material on it, altho it could've been better. One thing a friend of mine said was that there's almost no variation in the tempo from song to song, and I tend to agree.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
Rage For Order is the first REAL QR album.   That album is just amazing.  I still like it better than even O:MC, and I still think it's QR's masterpiece. 

How is Warning not the first REAL QR album? What did you think of it when it came out? Were you not into it?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »

How is Warning not the first REAL QR album? What did you think of it when it came out? Were you not into it?

It was an idea conveyed in the official linear notes from the RFO re-release that I happen to agree with. 

The Warning is a really great album, and in many ways it is grossly under-appreciated and overlooked album.   But for all the strong songs and ideas, it just didn't quite succeed in what the band was really setting out to accomplish.    It fell short of the higher ambitions the band had.    RFO was where it all came together perfectly. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2016, 03:19:13 PM »
I always felt that Warning was ambitious, and I thought they achieved it. I guess they didn't think so?

That reminds me of when Pyromania came out, Joe Elliot said in an interview that High n Dry was so rushed, that Pyromania felt like their REAL 2nd album.
Of course, I was Like WTF?? I love HnD!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
Yeah, RFO was where it started coming together but they still were not very popular at that point.  When Mindcrime came out (which was even better imo) they still weren't being taken very seriously.  Then Empire was what really launched them.  They were able fill arenas and play Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour.  One of the best shows I've ever seen.

BTW, The Warning is awesome and the EP is really good too.  I have The Prophecy bonus track version which was recorded during TW sessions.  Great song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
I wished they played theaters for the Mindcrime tour. But they got a couple of great opening slots for Def Leppard (Hysteria) and Metallica (Justice). I saw them 4 times!

For Def Leppard, they were In The Round, and I thought they were so great. Seeing Scott's gigantic set in the middle of it all was cool. I actually was far less impressed when they played the end stage on the Metallica tour, and I mostly remember Tate being a douche, with his tank top and sun glasses.

And yes Steve, the Empire tour was awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2016, 03:32:36 PM »
I always felt that Warning was ambitious, and I thought they achieved it. I guess they didn't think so?

Well, I know they weren't happy with the label meddling, changing the track order, etc.  But beyond that, I would guess that any such statement is more Geoff Tate revisionist history than an overall sentiment from the band as a whole. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
I remember vaguely something about the tracklisting. I actually think it's perfect the way it is.

And I think RFO has a lot of Warning in it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »
Nobody can deny the coolness of NM156!  What a fantastic song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
Nobody can deny the coolness of NM156!  What a fantastic song.

Absolutely! And that solo section is awesome.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2016, 06:15:19 PM »
I love The Warning. Far superior album to RFO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
I'm listening to RFO right now. I forgot Walk in the Shadows is on this.  :lol  This was always a good song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »
Yeah, RFO was where it started coming together but they still were not very popular at that point.  When Mindcrime came out (which was even better imo) they still weren't being taken very seriously.  Then Empire was what really launched them.  They were able fill arenas and play Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour.  One of the best shows I've ever seen.

BTW, The Warning is awesome and the EP is really good too.  I have The Prophecy bonus track version which was recorded during TW sessions.  Great song.

Actually, that version was recorded during the RFO sessions.

There is a much more raw version recorded during The Warning sessions, but it's much harder to find. It was only released on The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2 soundtrack, and to the best of my knowledge, it has never been on any official QR release.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2016, 08:44:16 PM »
I don't put too much stock into it when a band says, "This was our first real album," or any other silliness like that.  Heck, Neil Peart once said that Moving Pictures should have been Rush's first album :eek :eek :eek, so chew on that one for a while. :lol :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2016, 10:24:36 PM »
I don't put too much stock into it when a band says, "This was our first real album," or any other silliness like that.  Heck, Neil Peart once said that Moving Pictures should have been Rush's first album :eek :eek :eek, so chew on that one for a while. :lol :lol

I remember that.   And I ***KINDA*** get where he's coming from, but it would have made more sense if he had said Permanent Waves.  That is where the huge shift in sound came into play.    And PeW and MP are extremely similar albums.   MP is practically PeW Part 2.      But I do kinda get what he was getting at. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2016, 11:21:58 PM »
Yea I get that too. MP really laid the foundation for the band going forward. They probably see the prior albums as experiments.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2016, 05:26:32 AM »
That logic gets tossed out the window as the three albums prior to Permanent Waves are better than anything after Moving Pictures.