Poll

Which band do you like better?

Metallica
60 (56.6%)
Queensryche
46 (43.4%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: June 09, 2022, 08:14:07 AM

Author Topic: Metallica vs Queensryche  (Read 11091 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Metallica vs Queensryche
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2016, 04:01:35 AM »
Queensryche all the way, they had some great records, then some shite ones and a true return to from with the last two. Metallica had some decent ones, but even then, for me, they were always have great half filler and that includes Master Of Puppets (the record, not the song).

I'm an avid Queensryche fan, but only a casual Metallica fan.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
Don't ask me why, but listening to either of these bands often makes me want to listen to the other, and they obviously had similar career arcs early on (great stuff throughout the 80s while still being fairly underground; hit it big at the beginning of the 90s with a streamlined, monster release; went a bit experimental in the mid 90s following the success of the mainstream hit).

It's funny, because if you had asked me a week ago, I would have said Queensryche without any hesitation, but after getting reacquainted with a lot of Metallica in the last week, I am not so sure now.  Promised Land is my favorite album by either, but Metallica never released as much shit as 'Ryche has in the last 20 years, and I think Metallica's best songs are arguably better than Queensryche's best songs.  It's pretty close.

Great observations regarding their career arcs, at least through the mud 90's.

It was great to live through those 80's years. Both bands were real special. And we knew it.

Yeah, I really like both of the above quotes (although I'm sure we would disagree quite a bit if drilling down into the specifics).  I really like both bands, and both had a tremendous influence on me.  But I still easily take Queensryche.  I got into them somewhat late in the game, having discovered them with Mindcrime and not really gotten into them as a huge fan until Empire.  But they were hands-down my favorite band from 1990 through 1999 until DT released scenes.  And aside from the fact that their current lineup seems to be completely mailing it in in terms of fan service, live shows, promoting themselves, etc., the last two albums with Todd are stellar and, IMO, stand up with their original lineup run from the EP through HITNF.  And while this wasn't the case for the last couple of Tate albums, they are right back to being one of those bands where, despite my current level of frustration with them, I will automatically buy anything they put out without having to hear it first.

Metallica, on the other hand, are a band that I respect and appreciate, but won't go out of my way to purchase.  For me personally, RTL, Puppets, AJFA, and the black album are must-haves, but I don't really care to have anything else of theirs in my collection.  I like and can appreciate a lot of the other stuff they have done through the years.  But what I like best about them was done on that spectacular 4 album run.  And other than the handful of odd songs here and there, I just don't really care for any of the other albums very much.  Again, not to take anything away from them, but I'm just not the target audience for their other material.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2016, 08:46:06 AM »
TIL that the album Master of Puppets by Metallica is " half filler "

:rollin

I consider Master Of Puppets a near flawless album.

Songwise at least - the production could be a bit less raspy.

Offline Art

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2016, 09:09:46 AM »
I am not a big Metallica fan, but i prefer them to QR.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
Metallica

I consider Master Of Puppets a near flawless album.

^this

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »

I simply cannot understand the appeal of Promised Land. To me, it's so devoid of anything interesting. After everything they had done up till then, it came off, to me, as so light. I like Damaged. The title track is OK, and Out Of Mind was great live, but definitely was not on the studio version. But that's it. I just cannot fined anything redeemable about it, other than being one of the GREATEST LETDOWNS I have ever experienced from a band.

I didn't like PL much at first but it grew on me.  It has a strangely obscure greatness to it.  Hard to explain.  Rather polarizing I guess would be the right word to describe it.  You either like it or you don't.  I can understand both sides of the coin.  For me, HITNF was the beginning of the letdown.  I really don't like much of that album at all.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2016, 10:24:17 AM »
Metallica, by 4.5 Astronomical Units.

O:M never did anything for me.  I know its reputation, so I have tried several times through the years to listen again and see if it clicked.

Nothing.

My favorite QR album is Empire.  Right time, right place for me.  I still like it, although I don't see it as a masterpiece or anything.

Meanwhile Metallica is Metallica, warts and all.  No contest.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2016, 01:08:38 PM »
I simply cannot understand the appeal of Promised Land.
Promised Land is my favorite QR album because I love the dark and moody vibe, the lyrics are some of their most relatable, and it's aged better than the earlier records. I mean, I love those albums too, but they're more clearly products of their time. In fact, I think those in this thread who have only listened to Mindcrime and found it too 80s/NWOBHM-sounding might find something to enjoy on PL - if you're reading this, go check it out and thank me later! :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »

I see Metallica as one of those standout bands that transcends genre in terms of appeal, while Queensr˙che really doesn't do that in the same way. I'm not surprised to see anyone, really, being a fan of Metallica. I'm also not surprised to see someone like Zantera, who doesn't really seem to be that into the whole 80s style of metal, not be that impressed with O:M. By a similar token, I don't typically like thrash, but I love Metallica. And Rust In Peace, which also has genre-defying appeal in my estimation.

All of this makes total sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »

I simply cannot understand the appeal of Promised Land. To me, it's so devoid of anything interesting. After everything they had done up till then, it came off, to me, as so light. I like Damaged. The title track is OK, and Out Of Mind was great live, but definitely was not on the studio version. But that's it. I just cannot fined anything redeemable about it, other than being one of the GREATEST LETDOWNS I have ever experienced from a band.

I didn't like PL much at first but it grew on me.  It has a strangely obscure greatness to it.  Hard to explain.  Rather polarizing I guess would be the right word to describe it.  You either like it or you don't.  I can understand both sides of the coin.  For me, HITNF was the beginning of the letdown.  I really don't like much of that album at all.

While I have always like Empire, it actually worried me in terms of the direction. And when the lead single off of PL was Bridge, I couldn't even be bothered. Felt like Silent Lucidity Pt II, an instant sellout. I did not buy the album.

It's funny. I saw the Promised Land tour and it was amazing. It was an outdoor show in July, and had the perfect ambiance. I recorded the show. I listened to it quite a bit. Out Of Mind came off so awesome live.

Disconnected and Lady Jane have to be two of their worst songs up until that point. I have always thought I Am I was a hot mess. I like the way it ends with One More Time and Someone Else, but cracks in Tate's voice had begun to appear at this point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »

I thought that the first few times I listened to it, but something about kept making me want to listen more, and then it was the light bulb went on one day, making it go from disappointing to "holy crap, this is incredible."  It being so different to their other stuff was part of it, but I think it's also not something that's an immediate grabber.  Some great art takes time.  :)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2016, 02:26:18 PM »
I also thought WTF the first time I heard Promised Land.  But like others have mentioned, there was something about it that caused me to revisit it and then the light bulb went off. 

Now I absolutely love it; the remastered edition is even better with the inclusion of "The Real World".  That song just fits in perfectly and is one of my favorite QR tunes from the 90's.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »

I thought that the first few times I listened to it, but something about kept making me want to listen more, and then it was the light bulb went on one day, making it go from disappointing to "holy crap, this is incredible."  It being so different to their other stuff was part of it, but I think it's also not something that's an immediate grabber.  Some great art takes time.  :)

It's been over 20 years! I don't have that much time! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
Tim's problem with it is it need more metal!!!

Amirite?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2016, 02:57:31 PM »
Tim's problem with it is it need more metal!!!

Amirite?!

YES!!!!!

Nah, that's not really it. I just don't think a number of songs are very good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2016, 03:04:15 PM »
It hit me the other day that a lot of their 80s stuff really isn't metal; it's more hard rock than anything.  I think it was Tate's vocals, that were reminiscent of Priest and Maiden, that made them more metal than they really were.  Heck, listen to Rage for Order and focus on just the music and tell me with a straight face most of that is metal; it's really not.

Heck, the riff in Damaged is as metal as anything they've ever done, but Tate's vocals weren't as howling and off the charts by then.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
It hit me the other day that a lot of their 80s stuff really isn't metal; it's more hard rock than anything.  I think it was Tate's vocals, that were reminiscent of Priest and Maiden, that made them more metal than they really were.  Heck, listen to Rage for Order and focus on just the music and tell me with a straight face most of that is metal; it's really not.

Heck, the riff in Damaged is as metal as anything they've ever done, but Tate's vocals weren't as howling and off the charts by then.

Agreed. Damaged is awesome and is as good of a riff as they have in their catalog. I think it's fair to call Warning a metal album, especially for something released in 1984. But RFO is definitely not a metal album, and it really threw me for a loop when it came out.
O:M is more hard rock than metal.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2016, 03:24:26 PM »
They definitely had metal roots but expanded on it. I always gravitate to those types of bands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »
Whatever Rage for Order is, it still kicks major ass!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2016, 05:24:18 AM »
I never saw the appeal of Rage for Order and Warning. They have a couple of good songs but most of it is filler. Gonna Get Close To You is quite possibly their worst song ever. However, they are still better than anything Metallica ever did post Black Album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2016, 05:34:11 AM »
Snob, at what point did you "discover" Queensryche?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2016, 05:36:28 AM »
It was a year or so after Mindcrime came out. I was in high school and someone said that I would love it, since I was heavily listening to Savatage's Gutter Ballet at the time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2016, 06:11:11 AM »
Oh, OK. Geez, you're a lot younger than I thought you were. No offense  :)

Actually, I find it strange that a fan of that era Savatage would not have an appreciation for Warning.

When I think of Queensryche, it is the EP/Warning that comes to mind. It was such a fresh take on metal at the time. It's a shame that it is not more heralded as such.
Roads To Madness is still by far my favorite QR song.

I find it's flow very similar to O:M. With O:M, it comes out of the shoot and you are into the second half of the album before you can take a breath. With Warning, that happens right after Take Hold, with the three song run of Deliverance/No Sanctuary/NM 156 being the highlight for me. Both albums take a slight step back in their second halves, and then each end strongly with a great tune.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2016, 06:18:11 AM »
Metallica. I find Queensryche pretty meh
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2016, 06:24:33 AM »
I never saw the appeal of Rage for Order and Warning. They have a couple of good songs but most of it is filler. Gonna Get Close To You is quite possibly their worst song ever. However, they are still better than anything Metallica ever did post Black Album.

Rage For Order is the most progressive or experimental record QR has ever done, and I love it. And Gonna Get Close To You is just stellar (although it's a cover). Tate just nails the vocals, sounding creepy and slightly insane, like someone stalking you.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2016, 06:29:02 AM »
Oh, OK. Geez, you're a lot younger than I thought you were. No offense  :)

Actually, I find it strange that a fan of that era Savatage would not have an appreciation for Warning.

When I think of Queensryche, it is the EP/Warning that comes to mind. It was such a fresh take on metal at the time. It's a shame that it is not more heralded as such.
Roads To Madness is still by far my favorite QR song.

I find it's flow very similar to O:M. With O:M, it comes out of the shoot and you are into the second half of the album before you can take a breath. With Warning, that happens right after Take Hold, with the three song run of Deliverance/No Sanctuary/NM 156 being the highlight for me. Both albums take a slight step back in their second halves, and then each end strongly with a great tune.

Yes, I'm a fresh fish in the 40 club.  ;) I've been listening to metal since I'm 8, though, and grew up around older metal heads that lived on my street. 

I actually like the EP more than RFO and Warning. As far as Savatage, I love Gutter Ballet and like Hall of the Mountain King, but Fight for the Rock and Power of the Night are less than desirable. Oddly enough, I like the rawness of Dungeons and Sirens.

Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to what makes me like/dislike something. It's more internal for me, being an empath, so you can present me with two exceedingly similar albums and if I feel something different about one of them, that is how I will perceive it.

Rage For Order is the most progressive or experimental record QR has ever done,

Actually, I think The Promised Land fits that description far more accurately.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2016, 06:43:16 AM »

I find RFO more experimental than PL. RFO was really quite different. I always felt that the run of Empire/PL/HITNF was musical "shrinkage" for QR, though I still like Empire a lot.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2016, 07:28:51 AM »

I find RFO more experimental than PL. RFO was really quite different. I always felt that the run of Empire/PL/HITNF was musical "shrinkage" for QR, though I still like Empire a lot.

I think they started going downhill after Empire, too. I'm going to give RFO another listening. It has been so many years since I checked it out. Who knows? Maybe since my taste in music has changed since then I'll actually find it more appealing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2016, 07:38:46 AM »
The downhill for QR was when DeGarmo left the band.  The creativity went out with him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »
I wonder how much of a part of HITNF he really was. Seems half hearted if you ask me.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »
Since Tate wrote 81% percent of QR that leaves up to 19% to DeGarmo.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
I wonder how much of a part of HITNF he really was. Seems half hearted if you ask me.

I remember the interviews and it was both his and Tate's idea.  They wanted a different sonic to the album. Put HITNF against the Tate albums and it's WAAAAYYY better than those.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2016, 07:54:12 AM »
Everything except maybe St. Anger is way better than those Tate albums, so that's not really hard to accomplish.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2016, 09:21:44 AM »
Rage For Order is the first REAL QR album.   That album is just amazing.  I still like it better than even O:MC, and I still think it's QR's masterpiece. 

Find a metal album that tried anything that's in Rage For Order before Rage For Order did it....I dare you. 

Promised Land is "Rage For Order with a budget", and it's still really excellent from that standpoint, but you could never recapture the magic of that near perfect album.   

Rage For Order is the best album released by either of those bands.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »
If Tate had quit after Empire and they'd called it a day, Queensryche would hands down be my favourite band of all time.

If the albums Q2k, Mindcrime II and American Soldier didn't exist and DeGarmo and Tate had quit at the same time, meaning we got Promised Land, HiTNF and Tribe, and then they'd called it a day, Queensryche would probably still be my favourite band of all time (as it is Rush are, whilst Devin Townsend is my favourite artist).

The two most recent efforts are much better than the Tateryche albums (which I tend towards including Q2k as part of) but LaTorre doesn't have DeGarmo or Tate's way with lyrics and they miss DeGarmo's gift with melody and texture so much.

As for Metallica, at one time I could play an awful, awful lot of their first 5 albums on the guitar - so much fun to play along to - and yet I'm not sure how much I ever actually just listened to their first 3 records. After those 5 it's been a mixed bag. Load/Reload were ok, St. Anger was laughably bad in every way and Death Magnetic sounded like a band doing a good imitation of early Metallica who'd employed a half-deaf producer.

The drag factor of Dedicated To Chaos ought to tip my vote towards Metallica, but... St. Anger.

So, my vote goes to Queensryche.